Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brent Calloway Arrested  (Read 12856 times)
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2011, 07:11:10 PM »

The real truth about college kids, football players included, is that the so many of them think that there is nothing wrong with marijuana. It is an absolutely tragedy in Douglas's case. His addiction went beyond marijuana. The powers that be in this country have all tried to educate kids about the drawbacks of marijuana and every other drug, but the kids are going to drink and many will smoke marijuana while in college. Some will do much worse. I used to assist in DARE activities when I was in law enforcement. We also had substance abuse counseling sessions for inmates at the jail, which I was involved in as well. The stories you hear are " smoking weed being bad for you is a joke, if drinking is acceptable, weed should be even more so". I'm not condoning this even a little bit, but peer pressure leads to this mentality and it is the mindset of many college students. The real  problem is Brent is not the only football player smoking dope, I promise you.

The ground rules are set for this young man and he will most certainly have to deal with the punishment which will most likely not include being banned from the football team. The ball is in his court, however, as to whether or not he ends up like RG. You and I are rational enough to understand what it is to have the privilege to play football under a scholarship for a great institution such as Bama. But he is a kid, he never anticipated being caught. He was caught and now has to pay the piper and prove that he is up to the task of turning his life around.

I've seen success stories that will bring you to tears from people who have completely turned their lives around. I've also seen many more run their lives and their families lives into the ground, because they couldn't stay away from the stuff and gave in to those addictions. I pray Brent is one of those in the former group and not the latter.
rueben
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 1977

rueben

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2011, 07:19:49 PM »

Anyone here who thinks Brent is the only the only player on the team to smoke pot, must be pretty da#@ high themselves. Id put the over / under at around 70%.

Brent has not even charged with a  felony, only misdemeanor possession, but some of you want to destroy the rest of his life over a simple, mistake. Glad that you led such perfect lives while in college. I had no idea that there was even a monastery on campus.

Nice post 2stater!!! Applause E-Cred

Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2011, 06:22:06 AM »

I went later - not at 18. However, pot/drugs have never been a part of my life. And I wasn't a member of the Alabama Crimson Tide Football team.

Guess I'm just one of the weird ones. but that's okay, I am fine with that.

We love you just the way you are, Terrie.  BTW, what's the plan for the next travel-with-camper trip?

SeniorTSM
Senior

E-Cred: 306

SeniorTSM

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2011, 07:57:21 AM »

I swear you say to some people with a little life experience: "hey come play a gmae for us for 4rys and we will pay for you to have an education to the University of Alabama, ohh also if you work hard we will train you to have the best possible shot at the next level.  All you have to do is show up work hard and stay out of trouble."

Most of us would jump at the chance.

But a 18 or 19 year old kid, says ok, but im still going do what i want to do. I am invinciable.

SMH I still don't know how you get through to some of these people.
window licker
gilmer

E-Cred: 28

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 08:38:24 AM »

There has been an uneasy feeling about this kid since that whole commitment thing. I follow him on twitter and he and Scam exchange tweets all the time. That's reason enough alone right there to invite him to leave.
MLB10
Senior

E-Cred: 115

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »

My sister (UA fan) and her husband (AU fan) both know the kid...not really well, but they've been around him.  I didn't post this at the time of the commitment because I know Auburn did some shady things in his recruitment and I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but my sister was relieved when he switched to Auburn and my BIL was relieved when he switched back.  He did have a rough home situation (pre-peaches) so I hope he can turn it around.  I'm sure there are some young men on the team who can be a mentor or something to him and help turn it around.  I'll be waiting to see how CNS handles this one.
rueben
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 1977

rueben

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2011, 10:05:36 AM »

My sister (UA fan) and her husband (AU fan) both know the kid...not really well, but they've been around him.  I didn't post this at the time of the commitment because I know Auburn did some shady things in his recruitment and I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but my sister was relieved when he switched to Auburn and my BIL was relieved when he switched back.  He did have a rough home situation (pre-peaches) so I hope he can turn it around.  I'm sure there are some young men on the team who can be a mentor or something to him and help turn it around.  I'll be waiting to see how CNS handles this one.

Thanks for sharing. I gave you an E cred for that. That is the closest anyone has posted as far as knowing the kid. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but sometimes the truth hurts. Hope this is a wake up call for him, too.

Terrie1959
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 724

Female

Terrie1959

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2011, 03:41:12 PM »

I went later - not at 18. However, pot/drugs have never been a part of my life. And I wasn't a member of the Alabama Crimson Tide Football team.

Guess I'm just one of the weird ones. but that's okay, I am fine with that.

We love you just the way you are, Terrie.  BTW, what's the plan for the next travel-with-camper trip?

Thanks Chechem! Smiley We are HOPING to take our first camping trip the week of November 7. IF the weather isn't too cold.  I know we have a heater, etc but I can think of a more comfortable place to stay inside and read LOL
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2011, 04:16:40 PM »

There has been an uneasy feeling about this kid since that whole commitment thing. I follow him on twitter and he and Scam exchange tweets all the time. That's reason enough alone right there to invite him to leave.
Shocked It kind of makes you wonder. Huh?

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
Leroy
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 1906

Leroy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »

The real truth about college kids, football players included, is that the so many of them think that there is nothing wrong with marijuana. It is an absolutely tragedy in Douglas's case. His addiction went beyond marijuana. The powers that be in this country have all tried to educate kids about the drawbacks of marijuana and every other drug, but the kids are going to drink and many will smoke marijuana while in college. Some will do much worse. I used to assist in DARE activities when I was in law enforcement. We also had substance abuse counseling sessions for inmates at the jail, which I was involved in as well. The stories you hear are " smoking weed being bad for you is a joke, if drinking is acceptable, weed should be even more so". I'm not condoning this even a little bit, but peer pressure leads to this mentality and it is the mindset of many college students. The real  problem is Brent is not the only football player smoking dope, I promise you.

The ground rules are set for this young man and he will most certainly have to deal with the punishment which will most likely not include being banned from the football team. The ball is in his court, however, as to whether or not he ends up like RG. You and I are rational enough to understand what it is to have the privilege to play football under a scholarship for a great institution such as Bama. But he is a kid, he never anticipated being caught. He was caught and now has to pay the piper and prove that he is up to the task of turning his life around.

I've seen success stories that will bring you to tears from people who have completely turned their lives around. I've also seen many more run their lives and their families lives into the ground, because they couldn't stay away from the stuff and gave in to those addictions. I pray Brent is one of those in the former group and not the latter.

Very well said and well worth an e-cred  Applause E-Cred

Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2011, 07:00:46 AM »

Great post! I wish I had more tolerance for these young men but I struggle with that. No one makes these kids do any of these wrong things and all of them know about drugs and their consequences but it seems that it doesn't matter to some of them no matter what the situation is. Calloway has so much being offered to him but either he has an addiction or he just doesn't care. Sad!! Sad

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2011, 07:15:03 AM »

Great post! I wish I had more tolerance for these young men but I struggle with that. No one makes these kids do any of these wrong things and all of them know about drugs and their consequences but it seems that it doesn't matter to some of them no matter what the situation is. Calloway has so much being offered to him but either he has an addiction or he just doesn't care. Sad!! Sad
My Bama buddy threw in a possiblity of BC saying, "Give it to me. They won't search me." I think this is floating around. Still shouldn't have placed himself in that position.

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 249
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0