Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's up with this Fluker story  (Read 30612 times)
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 07:13:11 AM »

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SeniorTSM
Senior

E-Cred: 306

SeniorTSM

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 07:16:27 AM »

I heard that the guy who wrote the article was on XM radio yesterday and said he wasnt turning over what proof he had to the NCAA, if they want it they can go get it he said.

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 07:17:05 AM »

If Bama has been working on this since before the story broke, that means that if there is anything to it, Bama self reported it. Now I know that didn't help during the textbook scandal, but we're apparently only talking about a couple thousand dollars here.

With the NCAA doing absolutely nothing to schools with much more serious cases, if they slam Bama, not only do I think the NCAA is done, Bama would have grounds for a lawsuit against them. In fact, I think the NCAA is fair game with several schools due to the inconsistency of their rulings.
SeniorTSM
Senior

E-Cred: 306

SeniorTSM

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 07:21:05 AM »

From what ive seen over the last couple years, the best thing to do is hire good lawyers and shut up. Kiss
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 07:23:25 AM »

From what ive seen over the last couple years, the best thing to do is hire good lawyers and shut up. Kiss

Especially if the Yahoo guy is not going to give them any of his evidence.

By the way, Yahoo also broke the Reggie Bush story.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 07:28:11 AM »

Exactly, make them prove all of the accusations. Maybe Bama better hire Auburn's lawters. Wink

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
bamaphil
Coach Xen Scott

bamaphil

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 07:38:58 AM »

Historically when Bama has self-reported and cooperated with the NCAA they've slammed us.  When other schools stonewall they get off with a slap on the wrist if that.  I have a bad feeling about this one.
ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2045

ALTideUp

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 07:51:40 AM »

I'm thinking we might be screwed on this one.

"When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro"

Hunter S. Thompson
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6111

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 08:15:56 AM »

If any of this is true there are several things to consider.

1. The school, coaches and compliance dept did not know anything nor were they trying to hide anything.
2. Luther Davis, a former player, will not be considered a booster. He is a conduit for a sports agent who funneled money to players from schools besides Alabama which is proof he was out for himself and not to give Alabama an advantage. IMO it helps that other schools are involved.
3. If the alledged documents are not turned over to the NCAA they will have a difficult time obtaining the documents legally.
4. Luther Davis was used as a "runner" to try and avoid stiff penalties for sports agent interference in Alabama and Mississippi.

If this is an isolated event, Alabama coaches or institution did not know, we are okay if the ncaa determines we could not have known. This is only embarrassing. I suspect this will be the case.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 08:36:02 AM »

1. The school, coaches and compliance dept did not know anything nor were they trying to hide anything.
2. Luther Davis, a former player, will not be considered a booster. He is a conduit for a sports agent who funneled money to players from schools besides Alabama which is proof he was out for himself and not to give Alabama an advantage. IMO it helps that other schools are involved.
3. If the alledged documents are not turned over to the NCAA they will have a difficult time obtaining the documents legally.
4. Luther Davis was used as a "runner" to try and avoid stiff penalties for sports agent interference in Alabama and Mississippi.

If this is an isolated event, Alabama coaches or institution did not know, we are okay if the ncaa determines we could not have known. This is only embarrassing. I suspect this will be the case.

I hope so.  But the school didn't know anything about the textbook scheme either and self reported it to the NCAA as soon as they figured out what happened.  Look how that turned out.  We are well within the 5 year repeat violator window since we only came off probation last summer.  If an embattled NCAA wanted to re-establish itself and regain credibility, this would be the perfect case to do it with.

Some of the alleged documents are publicly available on the internet, like the western union receipt I posted.

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 08:56:30 AM »

I hope so.  But the school didn't know anything about the textbook scheme either and self reported it to the NCAA as soon as they figured out what happened.  Look how that turned out.  We are well within the 5 year repeat violator window since we only came off probation last summer.  If an embattled NCAA wanted to re-establish itself and regain credibility, this would be the perfect case to do it with.

Some of the alleged documents are publicly available on the internet, like the western union receipt I posted.

I disagree with this. The NCAA will come off looking like they are picking on Alabama after all the weak rulings they have levied on other schools for worse offenses. They aren't the powerful organization they used to be. Having said that, they are smart enough, however, to realize how a damaging ruling would be perceived in the college sports world, and the liability it would open up for the lawsuit that I posted about earlier.
bamaphil
Coach Xen Scott

bamaphil

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 08:57:29 AM »

I don't think we're in any danger of losing scholarships or receiving a bowl ban.  This appears to be an isolated incident and since Saban arrived things have been run cleanly. 

It's very possible the NCAA will vacate wins, including the championships, and place us back on probation.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6111

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 09:02:02 AM »

The text book issue is very different IMO. The school (probably student workers) issued the books to players. This happened with hundreds of players across several sports. The NCAA deemed the school did know or should have known this was happening. It would be hard to argue that was an isolated case and the school, who issued the books, did not know.

I am guessing the documents on the internet are copies that would have to be proven real. I could easily fake a Western Union receipt and post it on the internet. Just because it is on the internet does not make it real. That is where we use the barn defense of deny, deny, deny and make them prove it.

I think we will take the high road and tell the truth. This was an isolated case of an agent taking advantage of a student athlete without the school or coaches knowledge.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 09:04:34 AM »

I hope so.  But the school didn't know anything about the textbook scheme either and self reported it to the NCAA as soon as they figured out what happened.  Look how that turned out.  We are well within the 5 year repeat violator window since we only came off probation last summer. If an embattled NCAA wanted to re-establish itself and regain credibility, this would be the perfect case to do it with.

I disagree with this. The NCAA will come off looking like they are picking on Alabama after all the weak rulings they have levied on other schools for worse offenses. They aren't the powerful organization they used to be. Having said that, they are smart enough, however, to realize how a damaging ruling would be perceived in the college sports world, and the liability it would open up for the lawsuit that I posted about earlier.

That is assuming we fight back.  Last time we just laid down and let them roll over us.  The whole textbook case really opened my eyes to how they work.  I never expected anything serious to happen with that.  Clearly the university operated with integrity in that case and did absolutely nothing wrong.  Even what the students did wrong wasn't that bad.  Yet they almost gave us the death penalty.

One thing I do agree with is that the NCAA is much different now.  Perhaps that very case where they overreached so far is what caused the pendulum to begin swinging back to the other side where it is now.

Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »

Short version:
If Ed Stinson plays against A&M, we have nothing to worry about.  
If he sits, we're going to self-impose the penalties.  

Yes, he played against VT.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:23:18 AM by Chechem » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 301
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0