Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's up with this Fluker story  (Read 30372 times)
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »

If this is an isolated event, Alabama coaches or institution did not know, we are okay if the ncaa determines we could not have known. This is only embarrassing. I suspect this will be the case.

in the text book case they hammered us why ?

because we should have known ...  Banging your head against the wall.
we didn't but we should have right ?

I think we should treat the ncaa like CNS does the reporters at a presser
stonewall their azz and in general be a beach to deal with

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »

Short version:
If Ed Stinson plays against A&M, we have nothing to worry about. 
If he sits, we're going to self-impose the penalties. 

Yes, he played against VT.

I plan to watch that closely myself.  If he sits, we are definitely in trouble.  If he plays, we may or may not be in trouble.  He was named in the report as being on an itinerary for a plane ticket, but he did not actually attend the meeting and presumably did not accept the ticket.  CNS did say that it does not involve any current players, so I fully expect him to play.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »

I believe Ed Stinson plays   

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2013, 09:33:34 AM »

If this is an isolated event, Alabama coaches or institution did not know, we are okay if the ncaa determines we could not have known. This is only embarrassing. I suspect this will be the case.

Exactly.  If this happened in 2007 we would have gotten the death penalty, even though we did not know and did nothing wrong.  However, in 2013 I have no idea what will happen.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2013, 09:48:30 AM »

Exactly.  If this happened in 2007 we would have gotten the death penalty, even though we did not know and did nothing wrong.  However, in 2013 I have no idea what will happen.

pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6111

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2013, 10:18:29 AM »

This is nothing like the textbook case. The Textbook case involved 201 athletes in 16 sports. The books were issued by the school. How can you say the school (not coaches but school) should not have known. Forget that it was small money, all athletes paid back the money, we self reported, keep players out of games and offered a reasonable scholarship reduction.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »

This is nothing like the textbook case. The Textbook case involved 201 athletes in 16 sports. The books were issued by the school. How can you say the school (not coaches but school) should not have known. Forget that it was small money, all athletes paid back the money, we self reported, keep players out of games and offered a reasonable scholarship reduction.

They threatened the death penalty on the football team, right?  Not the other 16 sports.  Or were they threatening to shut down all sports? The football team only had a few players involved and they sat out for the UT game that week when the news broke.

The school issued the books to the players, but the school was counting on the players to be honest about which books they needed.  When I was in school, I had a similar scholarship benefit that provided all of my books and tuition (not athletic).  I went into the Supe Store in the basement of Ferguson, gathered up all the books I needed (always picking new books of course, not used), then carried them up to the counter.  I told them I got free books with my scholarship, they looked at my student ID, then looked at the list on a clipboard and found my name.  Then they wrote down all the books I got so they could do their accounting paperwork.  It never once occurred to me how easy it would be to grab a couple of books for a class I wasn't taking and then give them to a friend or sell them to get some money to go out to eat with.  Of course I wouldn't have done it, but I didn't even realize that I could do it.  In fact, I never did sell back any of my books.  I still have them all to this day.

Before this happened, it never crossed anyone's mind that they would need to put some sort of security measures in place to keep students from stealing text books.  They checked to make sure the student was on some sort of scholarship, but they didn't check to see if the book they were getting was for a class they were enrolled in.  Or if they had already gotten that book before.

They wrote down the books they gave out, but didn't realize what happened until they did an internal audit and saw multiple books to the same student, and eventually, when they dug deeper, books for classes the student didn't even take.  So the university did not know at the time it happened, but then during the course of going through the paper work they found out and reported it immediately.  I disagree that the university should have known or found out earlier than they did, when they did in fact figure it out on their own and report it.  They could have easily kept that to themselves and no one would have ever known that it happened.  That is exactly what certain other schools would have done.

Now, if it happened again this year, then yes, the university should have known better.  But in 2007 no one really ever heard of this scam.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:56:12 AM by SUPERCOACH » Logged

Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »

Good insights, SC. 
I remember those days too, back in the early 1970s, when the Bookstore was lax in handling scholarship, grant, or Pell Grant issues with books.  I doubt it's at all lax today.

Keep in mind that the Bookstore gets paid for every book.  Not saying they were taking advantage,     but they stand to gain $$ when an athlete gets more books than he/she should get.

Bottom line on this issue re Fluker:
Alabama has been on top of it since DJ's crazy tweet about being paid.  Apparently the issue blew up last month when Yahoo starting asking questions.  DJ has cooperated. 
None of the University personnel knew about or participated in $$ changing hands.  It was done on the sly.
Expect DJ to lose his access to Alabama, if he's indeed guilty.  Beyond that, there isn't much to be done to correct anything.  There was nothing that anyone employed by Alabama did wrong.
I know the NCAA punished schools for such 'failures to control' during past years, but now they aren't looking for such.  I'm confident we'll be okay, even if it's a bumpy road in the meantime.

Roll Tide

pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6111

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »

Good insights, SC. 
I remember those days too, back in the early 1970s, when the Bookstore was lax in handling scholarship, grant, or Pell Grant issues with books.  I doubt it's at all lax today.

Keep in mind that the Bookstore gets paid for every book.  Not saying they were taking advantage,     but they stand to gain $$ when an athlete gets more books than he/she should get.

Bottom line on this issue re Fluker:
Alabama has been on top of it since DJ's crazy tweet about being paid.  Apparently the issue blew up last month when Yahoo starting asking questions.  DJ has cooperated. 
None of the University personnel knew about or participated in $$ changing hands.  It was done on the sly.
Expect DJ to lose his access to Alabama, if he's indeed guilty.  Beyond that, there isn't much to be done to correct anything.  There was nothing that anyone employed by Alabama did wrong.
I know the NCAA punished schools for such 'failures to control' during past years, but now they aren't looking for such.  I'm confident we'll be okay, even if it's a bumpy road in the meantime.

Roll Tide

I agree.

Until the NFL decides to punish agents for approaching high profile college players this is going to happen and the schools can not stop it regardless of how well they educate the players.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »

Hmmm... I just thought of a plausible scenario that might be awesome if it works out that way.  I was just watching ESPN, and they were talking about how nobody has called out these sleazy agent guys like CNS.  They mentioned the time he even called them pimps.  Remember DJ's tweet last April? "Agents was tryin to pimp me so I pimped them".

Could it be possible... do we dare even think that DJ and Luther could have set these fellows up?

Is delusional one of the stages of grief?

In any case, the fact that CNS has been so vocal about these sleaze ball agents should mitigate any punishment we get from the NCAA.  He can say "I told you so, and there was nothing we could do about it."  And I have no doubt that the university has done everything they could to educate these players.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2013, 11:56:35 AM »

I'm feeling much better about this now.  The media is pointing out that nobody has been on top of this like CNS.  We would should come through this OK, given the current NCAA landscape, even if DJ broke the rules.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2013, 11:59:06 AM »

Keep in mind that the Bookstore gets paid for every book.

Laughing

That is probably what triggered the audit in the first place.  "The bill from the Supe Store for scholarship books has gone through the roof in the last couple of years.  What is going on over there?"

Then they do the audit only to find out that some of the athletes were caught up in it too.  Doh!  Embarrassed

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2013, 12:26:59 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZJsPCZbPXc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZJsPCZbPXc</a>

From 2010.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »

Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »

I knew a guy on scholarship who got new books every semester and then would sell them back.  I think it was an ROTC scholarship even.  I didn't think much of it at the time, he thought it was part of the deal. 

I always bought used books if I could find them, and I never kept them if I could sell them back -- which became less frequent because the publishers figured out they should come up with a new edition every year or two.

Getting books for classes you aren't taking -- some people will scam the system if given a chance.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 317
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0