Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alabama's National Title: This Was Nick Saban's Masterpiece  (Read 6284 times)
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6111

Male

pmull

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2012, 08:28:14 AM »

Reflecting on Alabama’s 21-0 win, it wasn’t just about the victory itself. It wasn’t just about the Tide dominating one of the best teams we’ve seen in recent college football history. It wasn’t about sucking the life out of LSU one tackle for loss at a time. It wasn’t about Jeremy Shelley’s field goals or A.J. McCarron’s emergence. It wasn’t even about one of the best defenses of all-time finally getting their proper due.

Nope, Monday night was bigger than that. It wasn’t just about a championship, but about a team and coach achieving something that is as close to perfection on the football field as we've ever seen.

In every sense of the word, Monday night's BCS National Championship Game was Nick Saban’s masterpiece.

Click here for link

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:18:26 AM »

Well, they did have that one penalty late in the game you know.  Angry

Laughing

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
MLB10
Senior

E-Cred: 115

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:46:07 AM »

Saban has been different this year.  I think he had a lot of trust in the student leaders on this team.  Either that or he has fully embraced the Bama nation.  He has mentioned several times the role of the fan support.  I think he appreciates how intense we can be...instead of cracking under the pressure he is thriving in it.

BTW, is saban wrapping his leg around AJ in that pic??? 
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 10:53:24 AM »

Saban has been different this year.  I think he had a lot of trust in the student leaders on this team.  Either that or he has fully embraced the Bama nation.  He has mentioned several times the role of the fan support.  I think he appreciates how intense we can be...instead of cracking under the pressure he is thriving in it.

BTW, is saban wrapping his leg around AJ in that pic???  

Yep. I noticed that too.
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 04:06:06 PM »

I think Aaron Douglas' death affected CNS in a big way.  Caused him to chill a bit.  Don't think he's any less a demanding coach.  Just coming at it in a little diferent manner.  Just MHO...
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »

I think Aaron Douglas' death affected CNS in a big way.  Caused him to chill a bit.  Don't think he's any less a demanding coach.  Just coming at it in a little diferent manner.  Just MHO...

I agree he seems a little different now.  I don't know if it is that or the tornadoes, or maybe a combination. 

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
DanDanScooter
Freshman

E-Cred: 62

DanDanScooter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 06:18:24 PM »

I agree he seems a little different now.  I don't know if it is that or the tornadoes, or maybe a combination. 

I agree. I've always thought he was a great person, but listening to him this year I think he is valuing his time with the players more. I am proud to have him as a part of BAMA! He talked a lot about conditional love vs unconditional love last year and how it changes when you win and lose at a college/team, but at home(West Virginia) it never changes. For me, the way he devoted himself to helping Tuscaloosa after the tornado, he has my unconditional love and I'll always view him as a wonderful person and coach.  Cheesy
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:33:47 PM »

I think the media lit a fire under CNS when they started on the "Miles owns Saban" buildup for the NCG. Haven't heard the media say too much about the "ownership" thing since Bama won.  Wink

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 07:05:07 PM »

I think the media lit a fire under CNS when they started on the "Miles owns Saban" buildup for the NCG. Haven't heard the media say too much about the "ownership" thing since Bama won.  Wink

I can't imagine how he must have felt with everyone saying he was out coached by that bumbling idiot.  Just look back at all of the stupid calls he has made over the years.  The Mad Hatter got lucky many times, but every body that knows anything about the game (especially another coach like CNS) had to just shake their head and wonder what in the world was he doing.  I'm talking about clock management at the end of games, and who can forget the time he called a fade route to the corner of the endzone to try and score a TD, with only a 1 or 2 seconds left, when all he needed was a FG to win... AND they were within EASY gimme FG range.  AND THEN he started eating grass.

It must have been how General Patton would have felt if he had lost a battle to these guys:

cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 07:17:49 PM »

I can't imagine how he must have felt with everyone saying he was out coached by that bumbling idiot.  Just look back at all of the stupid calls he has made over the years.  The Mad Hatter got lucky many times, but every body that knows anything about the game (especially another coach like CNS) had to just shake their head and wonder what in the world was he doing.  I'm talking about clock management at the end of games, and who can forget the time he called a fade route to the corner of the endzone to try and score a TD, with only a 1 or 2 seconds left, when all he needed was a FG to win... AND they were within EASY gimme FG range.  AND THEN he started eating grass.

It must have been how General Patton would have felt if he had lost a battle to these guys:

Laughing
That's actually an insult to the Stooges. Even they could out-coach the Hat.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »

There is no doubt he was more more at ease this year. All the reasons you guys gave are good ones. I thought the tornados had a lot to do with it. I also thought he really liked this year's team. The team was loaded with talent and leadership. I've heard him say many times this group of players, especially the seniors, bought in to his process. Lastly, I think he is enjoying reaping the rewards of the program he has re-built. He has never stayed at a program long enough to enjoy the benefits of all the hard work.

The 4 million is keeping Ms. Terry off his back too.
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 08:29:25 PM »

There is no doubt he was more more at ease this year. All the reasons you guys gave are good ones. I thought the tornados had a lot to do with it. I also thought he really liked this year's team. The team was loaded with talent and leadership. I've heard him say many times this group of players, especially the seniors, bought in to his process. Lastly, I think he is enjoying reaping the rewards of the program he has re-built. He has never stayed at a program long enough to enjoy the benefits of all the hard work.

The 4 million is keeping Ms. Terry off his back too.

I was listening to Finebaum the other day and he had this Doctor on as his guest who is the right hand man of CNS as far as the mental edge of the players are concerned. I wish I could describe the person better and I'm hoping someone on the forum might have been listening or maybe know about the person I am speaking of, it seems like PF called him Dr Eklo or something similar to that.

This guy may be the answer to my question as to how does CNS have these players so mentally sharp and to me that is what won them a NC. This Dr also works with some pro teams and has written like 4 books on what he does.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:42:57 PM by Jamos » Logged

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 09:05:30 AM »

Saban did seem more relaxed, and happier, most of this year.  The except may have been the first time Bama played LSU, when he seemed a bit tight, even before the game.  The tornado probably had something to do with it, but I think the main reason is the players.  These players are all "his guys."  He recruited all of them out of HS.  Also, they gelled as a team, and played as a team.  They learned Saban's system from Day 1.  Being a defensive guy, this team was Saban's masterpiece.  The best defense he has ever created.  It's hard not to be pleased to see your guys executing your system like it was meant to be played, and doing it with extreme excellence.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »

IMO, it's all the factors mentioned in this thread. The tornado had a profound impact on him as well as the death of Douglas. I think maybe it put into perspective that the tragedy of death and the importance of life outweigh football, even though football is his livelihood.

I think watching this team transform from raw talent, young football players to a seasoned team that finally bought into the process at last year's crushing of Michigan State, made him more at ease this year. I really think he really knew what he had in this team. You could see it in his interviews after team practices when he talked about what the players were doing right and not what they needed to improve on, as was the case last year.

Perhaps his only stumbling block was getting too intense for the first LSU game. He was definitely more laid back and seemed to enjoy the NCG. I think that carried over to the players. They were a lot more loose than in game 1.

Even with the one loss, this may still go down as the best Bama team ever.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 11:27:48 AM »

David Pollack said that he finally got to watch the game film and Alabama did not miss a single tackle until the 4th Qtr, and only missed 2 the entire game.  Some teams miss a half dozen or more on one play when TR has the ball.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 348
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0