Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: College OT  (Read 6381 times)
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2012, 11:27:23 PM »

The more I watch college games that go into overtime, the more convinced I am that the NFL has it right.  The college OT system puts too much emphasis on field goal kicking, and none on punt and kickoff units.  No emphasis on field position.  The college OT system is nothing more than glorified soccer.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 11:29:34 PM »

I agree that it needs some tweaking.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:48:24 PM »

At least start the OT possessions out of FG range. 50yd. line?

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2045

ALTideUp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 06:56:42 AM »

At least start the OT possessions out of FG range. 50yd. line?

This right here is the crucial flaw. The NFL OT is a continuation of the same game that was tied. College football is closer to the, dare I say it, soccer approach, which essentially settles one type of game with a completely different type of contest. College creates not quite as much a different game in OT as soccer, but it's still not right.

On the other hand the games can't stretch on for hours either. Midfield would be a fine place to start.

"When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro"

Hunter S. Thompson
bama87
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2132

Male

bama87

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 10:13:55 AM »

I think the OT rules are bad. If no NFL plan, then each team should start at the +40 or even the 50. Make a team move the ball to get into position. The 25 yard line plan doesn't require a team with a good kicker to move the ball.
KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »

I propose we do away with field goals in OT and make teams score a TD. Leave the setup as now, each team gets to start from the 25.
ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2045

ALTideUp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 10:38:54 AM »

The more I watch college games that go into overtime, the more convinced I am that the NFL has it right.  The college OT system puts too much emphasis on field goal kicking, and none on punt and kickoff units.  No emphasis on field position.  The college OT system is nothing more than glorified soccer.

But on the other hand, the NFL system of sudden death puts a lot of weight on a coin toss.

"When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro"

Hunter S. Thompson
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »

I propose we do away with field goals in OT and make teams score a TD. Leave the setup as now, each team gets to start from the 25.
Furthering your proposal, eliminate special teams altogether with taking the XP out and mandating a 2 pointer. BTW, the coin toss is controversially pivotal in both systems.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:26:34 AM by BAMAWV » Logged

deahl001
Junior

E-Cred: 62

Male

deahl001

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »

I think a good mixture of the two is needed. Perhaps start each teams' possession with a kickoff. Require them to drive the field. If there is a fumble or turnover, allow it to be returned for six and the game is over. I basically think each team should have an offensive possession with equal opportunity. But just placing it on the 25 isn't the answer. I like a combination of the CFB and NFL model.

"Football changes and so do people. The successful coach is the one who sets the trend, not the one who follows it." - Paul "Bear" Bryant
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 01:02:24 PM »

Furthering your proposal, eliminate special teams altogether with taking the XP out and mandating a 2 pointer. BTW, the coin toss is controversially pivotal in both systems.

Do away with the coin toss. Rock-paper-scissors. More strategy involved.

I do not like the NFL system. I think the ball should be moved back to the 40 or 50yd line. You should have to make a first down or two before you kick. Another option is to go the high school route and start at the 10. No one would be kicking FG with the other team starting at the 10.

The original idea of two short possessions was to get the game over quickly. Right now OT takes longer than the 4th quarter.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 01:14:04 PM »

I do not like the NFL system. I think the ball should be moved back to the 40 or 50yd line. You should have to make a first down or two before you kick. Another option is to go the high school route and start at the 10. No one would be kicking FG with the other team starting at the 10.

The original idea of two short possessions was to get the game over quickly. Right now OT takes longer than the 4th quarter.

Take dynamite.

How about "our coach fights your coach?"

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 01:43:01 PM »

How about a couple of 2 minute mini-halves?  Use the exact same rules as the regular game.  Have a coin toss just like you do at the beginning of the game.  The only difference is the half only lasts for 2 minutes and it is not broken into 2 quarters.  Then once the first OT half is over, switch sides and the other team gets the ball to start the next 2 minute session.  Scoring doesn't end the game.  It keeps going until the end of the 4 minutes.  If they are still tied, do it again.  I suspect this would be about as fast as the current OT, but it does not change the rules or emphasis of the game in any way.  You still have to KO, you still have to punt if your drive stalls, and all the rest.  Field position becomes important again.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »

How about a couple of 2 minute mini-halves?  Use the exact same rules as the regular game.  Have a coin toss just like you do at the beginning of the game.  The only difference is the half only lasts for 2 minutes and it is not broken into 2 quarters.  Then once the first OT half is over, switch sides and the other team gets the ball to start the next 2 minute session.  Scoring doesn't end the game.  It keeps going until the end of the 4 minutes.  If they are still tied, do it again.  I suspect this would be about as fast as the current OT, but it does not change the rules or emphasis of the game in any way.  You still have to KO, you still have to punt if your drive stalls, and all the rest.  Field position becomes important again.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.
It favors a spread type "high flying" offense over the grind it out long time consuming drives. Angry

pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 01:51:01 PM »

Take dynamite.

I like the idea of the coaching fighting but not to start the game. That should be done at halftime.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 01:54:10 PM »

Take dynamite.

I like the idea of the coaching fighting but not to start the game. That should be done at halftime.
Whole new meaning for the Ohio State "dot your eye" thing.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:01:59 PM by BAMAWV » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 264
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0