Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should the punishment be for the basketball game brawl?  (Read 3914 times)
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:30:03 PM »

I'm sure most sports fans have seen or heard of the brawl between the Xavier and Cincinnati basketball teams yesterday. From what was seen during the game and at the end the game and also the remarks by players after the game, would only leave one to believe that this brawl was going to happen sooner or later.

What has happened to the game of basketball? There seems to be no jurisdiction on any of the players as to how much intimidation they can do to each other during the course of a game. Football is also a very physical game, but there are rules that limit players as to what they can do or not do as far as intimidating a player. In basketball it seems that after every play there is a player always jumping into the face of an opposing player, beating on his chest, yelling at the top of his lungs as to say, take that. Basketball is so fast paced and fatigue is always a factor, so it doesn't take that much for a player to retaliate to a challenge from another player.

What should be done to these players as far as punishment is concerned. I know there are team, school, conference, and NCAA rules that usually govern the punishment that is handed out to players for a rules violations, but in this case, how far should the level of punishment go. Will this fight set a precendent as to, this type of incident will not be tolerated any more,and harsh penalties be imposed as to show players what will happen to the next ones that care to become involved in such an incident. Maybe they will say, boys will be boys, and move on to their next game.

There are many factors as to why incidents such as this one happen and it's not always game related, some of it is brought off of the streets. The body art that these athletes are getting isn't always the name of their mother or girlfriend and it can be very suggestive as to what the person that is wearing it stands for. I think there should be a limit on such artwork as to how much and what it represents, maybe those that choose to wear it should have to wear long sleeve shirts during a game so as to not offend someone.

This is just some of my opinion as to what is happening in this sport that I really enjoy watching and I am concerned about the future of the game. Hopefully the ones in charge of the punishment for all those involved will make them harsh enough that other players will think twice before letting their anger get out of hand and new rules be impemented for all of those that might need some anger management in the future.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:34:55 PM by Jamos » Logged

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 03:13:37 PM »

A local girl had her nose broken after a recent high school basketball game.  It was during the handshake after the game.  They were all walking past each other shaking hands and saying "good game" when an opposing player sucker punched her right in the nose instead of shaking her hand.  As it turns out, she didn't even hit the girl she was mad at.  The poor girl she hit had been on the bench for most of the game, and hadn't said a word to anybody.  I believe the police got involved and the thug ended up going to a juvenile detention center.  I wasn't there, so I may have some of the details wrong.  The girl's parents where not there either at the moment of the incident, or this world would probably be -1 thug.

I was disappointed to hear that the NBA worked things out and is going to have a season this year.  It would be just fine with me if they didn't.

Most of this stuff goes beyond the rules of the game and goes over into the law of the land.  Anybody who throws a punch should be arrested for assault and have their day in court.  They should be kicked off the team and kicked out of school.  If your team has to finish the season with about half of the players in jail, I think that will get some people's attention.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 983

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »

A local girl had her nose broken after a recent high school basketball game.  It was during the handshake after the game.  They were all walking past each other shaking hands and saying "good game" when an opposing player sucker punched her right in the nose instead of shaking her hand.  As it turns out, she didn't even hit the girl she was mad at.  The poor girl she hit had been on the bench for most of the game, and hadn't said a word to anybody.  I believe the police got involved and the thug ended up going to a juvenile detention center.  I wasn't there, so I may have some of the details wrong.  The girl's parents where not there either at the moment of the incident, or this world would probably be -1 thug.

I was disappointed to hear that the NBA worked things out and is going to have a season this year.  It would be just fine with me if they didn't.

Most of this stuff goes beyond the rules of the game and goes over into the law of the land.  Anybody who throws a punch should be arrested for assault and have their day in court.  They should be kicked off the team and kicked out of school.  If your team has to finish the season with about half of the players in jail, I think that will get some people's attention.

I was disappointed as well SC. This was turning out to be one of the best NBA years ever!

Tinfoil Hat

bama57
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3858

bama57

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 03:29:33 PM »

Cincy suspended 3 for  6 games.......there should have been harsher punishment......Click here for link.
bama57
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3858

bama57

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 03:33:47 PM »

Babcock added there will be zero tolerance for repeat incidents.

"The very unfortunate events that occurred in the final seconds of Saturday's Cincinnati-Xavier basketball game have no place within intercollegiate athletics," Big East Commissioner John Marinatto said. "The University of Cincinnati has responded with swift, expeditious and appropriate action, which The BIG EAST Conference full supports."Referees ended the game with 9.4 seconds left when the fight broke out near the end of Cincinnati's bench. Xavier won 76-53.............Click here for link
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 983

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »

Click here for link

I would kick them off the team permanently!

No place in sports for these losers.

Cincinnati should be kick off Yates along with Ellis and Mbodj.

Xavier should kickoff Amos, Wells and Lyons. JMHO

Cincinnati suspends four after brawl

The Cincinnati Bearcats suspended four players Sunday for their roles in a brawl that ended their blowout loss to No. 8 Xavier a day earlier.

Yancy Gates, Octavius Ellis and Cheikh Mbodj will be suspended six games each, the school said in a news release. Ge'Lawn Guyn will be banned for one game.

Xavier will suspend Landen Amos and Dez Wells four games each, Mark Lyons two games, and Tu Holloway one game, a source told ESPN.com Sunday. Xavier has called a news conference for Sunday afternoon.

Cincinnati's suspensions will begin with the Bearcats' next game Wednesday at Wright State. They include the NCAA's one-game suspensions that automatically result for ejections from fighting. The suspended players will not travel to the Wright State game, Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin told ESPN.com.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:47:29 PM by Coach Hank Crisp » Logged

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 03:48:12 PM »

The way to stop this is to kick the players off the team.  Then the coaches will stop recruiting players that don't have the character and integrity to complete the season, since it will ultimately result in losses for their team when they are shorthanded, and eventually it will cost them their own job if they continue to lose.

This also eliminates all of the thug role models.  Over time, the younger kids coming up will be raised watching players with integrity and sportsmanship and will learn that they should treat their opponents with respect.

It really is that simple.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 03:52:14 PM »

The NBA should do the same thing.  If you get this taken care of at the NBA and college level, the high school and younger levels will take care of themselves pretty quickly.  What kid would go from "I want to be like Thug X and make millions in the NBA" to "I want to be like Thug X and go to jail instead of get my chance at millions in the NBA"?  None of them.

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 05:08:33 PM »

Sucker punching someone is assault and battery. There's nothing from stopping these kids from filing charges. You put enough of these thugs behind bars and the crap will either stop, or teams will be forced to forfeit due to all their players being in jail.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 06:14:48 PM »

Sucker punching someone is assault and battery. There's nothing from stopping these kids from filing charges. You put enough of these thugs behind bars and the crap will either stop, or teams will be forced to forfeit due to all their players being in jail.

I agree.  If the guy goes to jail, the message to all others is clear: you will be prosecuted if you throw punches.

Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 08:00:37 PM »

The mentality of the players on both teams is no more than that of a pick-up game and in the pick-up game they go to their vehicle and come back with a gun when they get mad. Maybe this is where basketball is headed, you keep your gun in your gym bag, just in case. 

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »

The thoughts presented here are so very sad. A great sport that was very well appreciated at one time, is now something my kids or grand kids would not go to. You have thugs with only a gang mentality brought in to play for colleges that try to make it to the NBA to get big money for their gangs back at home. Our society says it is ok to put up with this or at least the ones in college circles do. Sad, and heart breaking. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »

The thoughts presented here are so very sad. A great sport that was very well appreciated at one time, is now something my kids or grand kids would not go to. You have thugs with only a gang mentality brought in to play for colleges that try to make it to the NBA to get big money for their gangs back at home. Our society says it is ok to put up with this or at least the ones in college circles do. Sad, and heart breaking. RTR!

Here, Padre, I'll help by adding a few emoticons for you.

Sad Sad Cry Undecided Cry Pray Thinking Sad Sad Sad Go ahead, make my day

cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 12:20:57 PM »

Force all participants to watch the barn-Utah State game replay.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 12:25:19 PM »

Here, Padre, I'll help by adding a few emoticons for you.

Sad Sad Cry Undecided Cry Pray Thinking Sad Sad Sad Go ahead, make my day

Applause E-Cred hey Chechem I gave you an e-cred for all the help. Thanks so much because as you know college basketball means a lot to a lot of kids. Thanks agtain for your support. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 344
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0