Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn State Officials Step Down -NEW: Copy of Report; Paterno to step down  (Read 44574 times)
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2011, 10:31:05 PM »

I saw the link earlier but just now went back to read it.  Unfortunately there are probably just as many that would prefer to remain anonymous, if not more.

I did find this quote interesting:

The other two men charged, former athletic director Tim Curley and senior vice president Gary Schultz, will appear in court next week on charges of failing to notify authorities about the allegations against Sandusky and lying to a grand jury.

Why would they charge those two with failing to notify authorities, but not JoePa?  It could be they felt sorry for him because he was 84 (highly unlikely in my opinion considering the crimes we are talking about), or it could be that they didn't think he was guilty of failing to notify authorities of the crimes. 

Heads should roll, no doubt.  But let's make sure we get all of the right heads, and none of the wrong ones.  At this point I have no idea which group JoePa falls into, yet.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2011, 10:50:01 PM »

Remember grand juries only have to decide if there is enough evidence to go to trial.  It is a different standard than guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.  If there was any evidence that JoePa was involved they would have indicted him on something.

You are ignoring my question. What about his moral duty as a man to do something and not just "report" to his boss and then forget about it?

Again, I just can't believe he wouldn't do something if he really understood what was going on.  The fact that he did nothing makes me think he didn't understand what was really happening.

My only point is this:  we are all speculating about how much or little JoePa knew.  Let's wait until the facts come out and he has a chance to explain himself before we throw him under the bus.  If he knew about this and looked the other way or was negligent in following up on it, I will be the first one in line to punch him in his 84 year old mouth.
He had a chance today. They want to play games, we'll gas up the proverbial bus.

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2011, 11:08:37 PM »

Remember grand juries only have to decide if there is enough evidence to go to trial.  It is a different standard than guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.  If there was any evidence that JoePa was involved they would have indicted him on something.

You are ignoring my question. What about his moral duty as a man to do something and not just "report" to his boss and then forget about it?

Again, I just can't believe he wouldn't do something if he really understood what was going on.  The fact that he did nothing makes me think he didn't understand what was really happening.

My only point is this:  we are all speculating about how much or little JoePa knew.  Let's wait until the facts come out and he has a chance to explain himself before we throw him under the bus.  If he knew about this and looked the other way or was negligent in following up on it, I will be the first one in line to punch him in his 84 year old mouth.
He had a chance today. They want to play games, we'll gas up the proverbial bus.

I see no harm in that.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2011, 11:20:07 PM »

Limbaugh defended CJP today, saying the liberal media just wants to tear down all that appears good in society, instead of improving all that is bad. Further, he alluded to a twist in this story that he said was obvious but has not been approached. I cannot imagine what he could be referring, but he sounded like there was more to be uncovered. How close is Paterno's son with the program and the charities surrounding the program? Just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 11:24:22 PM by BAMAWV » Logged

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2011, 11:32:01 PM »

Well I will tell you the twist I have been thinking about.  I have not formed an opinion yet as to whether it is correct or not.

What if JoePa really knew nothing about this, but the administration is using this opportunity to force him out under the guise of cleaning house after the scandal?  There are people on the BOT that have wanted to get rid of him for years, I would imagine.  The admins are the ones who are canceling his press conferences and won't let him talk to anyone.  Maybe they want to fire him before he tells his side and makes it obvious that he did nothing wrong.  Once he proves his innocence (assuming he is innocent), then they can't really fire him.  Not only that, they may be stuck with him for several more years.  Just a thought, I don't know if I agree with it or not.  But I'm sure we will see soon enough.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2011, 11:34:50 PM »

If JoePa is innocent he needs to talk to the press ASAP and clear his name, in spite of what the admins tell him he can or can not do.  The longer this goes on, the worse it will be on him.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2011, 11:50:52 PM »

I just read JoePa's full statement.  I had not seen this posted yet (SIAP):  Click here for link

As my grand jury testimony stated, I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the Grand Jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators.

Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2011, 06:04:47 AM »

I just read JoePa's full statement.  I had not seen this posted yet (SIAP):  http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/37765/joe-paterno-statement-on-sandusky-case

As my grand jury testimony stated, I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the Grand Jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators.

Unfortunately, this statement sounds like the lawyers got it first.  Maybe JoPa is just too old to make a comment on this from his heart.  I don't think this stance (as penned in the statement) will save his job.

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2011, 07:58:51 AM »

I just read JoePa's full statement.  I had not seen this posted yet (SIAP):  http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/37765/joe-paterno-statement-on-sandusky-case

Unfortunately, this statement sounds like the lawyers got it first.  Maybe JoPa is just too old to make a comment on this from his heart.  I don't think this stance (as penned in the statement) will save his job.
CJP had his chance yesterday. He will have another today. If he does not address this in a substantial way (not just say the lawyers want him to remain quiet) then he becomes part of the problem,--not the solution. He said yesterday he and his son were working on a non-campus presser. IDK what that indicates.

Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2011, 08:23:34 AM »

I just read JoePa's full statement.  I had not seen this posted yet (SIAP):  Click here for link

This pretty much goes to the heart of the matter -- what did JoPa know.  If what he says is true, that he did not know any of the specifics, then perhaps he relied on the administrative staff to handle the matter.  And the criminal indictments bear this out -- administrative staff failed to report it.  They are the ones being prosecuted, not JoPa.  So likely he is viewed as an old guy who is the face of the program but not involved in actual decisionmaking.  Still you can sense the frustration of the prosecutors; they feel JoPa had a moral obligation to report what he did know; so even if he did not know the specifics (and therefore had no legal obligation to report), they feel the matter was swept under the rug by Penn State officials, and that JoPa should have played a bigger role than turning it over to administrative staff.

Honestly you have to wonder how much JoPa actually is involved in the program at his age, and how much of a figure-head he is, with the actual coaching conducted by his staff.  I've felt for years that he was just a figure head, with Penn State adding to his win column (for "bragging rights"), beating Bear Bryant's wins record, then staying ahead of Bobby Bowden.  But he may be a fall guy nevertheless -- Penn State needs a coach and not a figure head in the circumstances it finds itself.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6111

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »

If JoPa did nothing wrong he needs to be screaming he is innocent with or without the schools permission. He needs to hold a press conference ASAP and tell his side of the story. An innocent man does not stay quiet while his name is being drug through the mud.

Even if he is innocent he needs to step down. He is the head coach and that makes him responsible for what goes on in and around his program and facilities.

We only know about the tip of the iceberg. They are likely to be hundreds of young boys that were abused. Penn State needs to clean house and bring in a new coaching staff and administrators.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »

If JoPa did nothing wrong he needs to be screaming he is innocent with or without the schools permission. He needs to hold a press conference ASAP and tell his side of the story. An innocent man does not stay quiet while his name is being drug through the mud.

Even if he is innocent he needs to step down. He is the head coach and that makes him responsible for what goes on in and around his program and facilities.

We only know about the tip of the iceberg. They are likely to be hundreds of young boys that were abused. Penn State needs to clean house and bring in a new coaching staff and administrators.
Right. He should have confronted Sandusky immediately, even if he had to get in his car and drive to his house.  If the allegations turned out to be baseless, Sandusky would still have appreciated a "heads up" from his friend (Paterno). Go to the police or raise 6 kinds of Hell until the higher ups got off their asses. Also, since this goes back maybe 5 years or more, he can't really hide behind the "I'm old and didn't understand" crap. Paterno is in a mess, unless everyone up there gives him a complete pass because he is Joe Paterno.

Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2011, 10:57:29 AM »

Paterno is stepping down after this season.

Click here for link

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2011, 11:02:36 AM »

Paterno is stepping down after this season.

Click here for link

JoePa has been senile for a long time, even when the event in questioned happened. He should have retired a long time ago. He might have saved his legacy, not that his legacy can hold a candle to the importance and severity of Sandusky's reprehensible actions, or lack of actions by everyone else. JMO.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »

I think JoePa will address the Media when the Admin let's him. He is going to stand in support of his School and team. That being said, I also think he needs to clear his name ASAP. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 379
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0