Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My two cents on the game:  (Read 18437 times)
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 05:54:42 AM »

I was talking this morning with one of our guys--he lives on Lake Granbury, west of Ft. Worth. He told me about 2 schools in Grapevine that have a big rivalry game. Faith Christian School vs. Gainesville State Correctional. This was a maximum security juvenile facility that had no band, fans, cheerleaders, etc. So my buddy said Faith Christian School (Grapevine) let them borrow some of theirs for the game.

So....we should lend some of our pretty girls to LSU?   

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 06:06:17 AM »

I was talking this morning with one of our guys--he lives on Lake Granbury, west of Ft. Worth. He told me about 2 schools in Grapevine that have a big rivalry game. Faith Christian School vs. Gainesville State Correctional. This was a maximum security juvenile facility that had no band, fans, cheerleaders, etc. So my buddy said Faith Christian School (Grapevine) let them borrow some of theirs for the game.

So....we should lend some of our pretty girls to LSU?   
Let's not go overboard...

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 10:02:54 AM »

As everyone is awaiting the big game, I thought I would put in my two cents.  There are many factors to be considered in this game and many, if not all, you will already know.

1.     Bama has to play great assignment football and tackle well.  I know I talk about this in my note, but every player must take care of their responsibility.   Many times teams get into trouble when they don’t do what they are suppose too.    Along these same lines they must be great tacklers and not just go for the big hit.

2.   Bama must expect the unexpected.  In this game I would not be surprised to see Miles go for it numerous times if it is four down and less than 3.  I also would not be surprised if the QB Lee was given more runs because he is not seen as the running QB.  Don’t forget fake punt/field goals.

3.   Bama must take advantage of the good field position and when they get in the red zone produce TD’s.  The sad part here is Bama does not have a punter who can flip the field, so they must put the punter in a situation where he can punt inside the 20. 

4.   Penalties must be held down to a minimum.  Bama cannot afford to prolong LSU drives by penalties.

5.   Bama must win the turnover battle and hopefully convert all turnovers into points.   

6.   The OL must open holes for TR and others to make positive yardage.   Negative plays must be kept to a minimum.  They must also give AJ time to throw the ball.

7.   Finally, I think the most important is the play of AJ.  He must be able to make decisions and put the ball in small windows, pull the trigger in other words.  He must quickly evaluate the plays and know where his check downs going to be.  He must not put Bama in a bad situation by forcing a ball to be intercepted.  Live for the next play and let the D do their job.  If AJ can play well Bama will win this game.

These are just my opinions and others may have already stated these factors.  Feel free to add your concerns/factors

I'm not sure that we will see LSU going for it on 4th down too many times unless (until) they get behind.  Les typically plays it close to the vest v. Bama.  And Bama's defense is stout.  Running the ball, field position, relying on his defense, and hoping Bama makes a mistake/turnover, that is how I see LSU's initial strategy.  For that reason, I don't want to see AJ trying to fit the ball into small windows, LSU's secondary is good with interceptions.  I'd prefer that he play conservative and take only what the defense gives him.  Throwing the ball down the field is another matter -- a long interception is almost like a punt, especially with Bama's punter.

We might see a run or two by Lee, and Jefferson passing down the field.  Les said in his interview that they had self-scouted and planned to do things differently.

I'd like to see a play action pass on first down, especially on the first possession.  LSU has been focussed on stopping Trent Richardson all week in practice, and those guys will be thinking about him on that first play.  Also, Bama has had success with first down play action.  Likely, though, we will see Bama lined up spread out on its first possession, like it has done in other games.  That could open some running lanes for Trent, and give AJ time to get comfortable, so it is a possibility as well.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 10:03:10 AM »

They actually had the parents line up and clap/welcome them to the game.  I also think they packed lunches for the guys.  From what I understand they were going to make a movie about this.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 10:06:33 AM »

Coach -- Thanks for your post. FWIW... I keep coming back to three factors that will likely determine the outcome.  One is time of possession which is a by-product of many of the things you mentioned.  Second is turnovers.  Third is in-game injuries which very few "experts" have mentioned.  With hard hitting teams like these two, just seems like injuries will be somewhat of a factor.

Our biggest advantage may be that the game is being played at BDS.  That's gotta be worth something.  RTR!!!!!

I agree injuries to key people could be a huge factor in the outcome of this game.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »

They actually had the parents line up and clap/welcome them to the game.  I also think they packed lunches for the guys.  From what I understand they were going to make a movie about this.

"The Longest Yard"?  Thinking
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 10:53:40 AM »

Doing the assignments consistently will be the key. Everything our coaching staff has taught during the past few weeks and this week is going to win this game. We are physical and they are too, so my thinking is we have to be simple do what we are taught. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Bamaphile
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 3183

Bamaphile

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »

HSC - It's been mentioned several times recently about the different approaches to the game that the two coaches are taking.  (CNS with the calm, serious, do your job approach and CLM with the intense, fun, high-stakes game approach).  Which of these do you like better and why, or do you think it will matter after the first couple of series?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 12:36:25 PM »

HSC - It's been mentioned several times recently about the different approaches to the game that the two coaches are taking.  (CNS with the calm, serious, do your job approach and CLM with the intense, fun, high-stakes game approach).  Which of these do you like better and why, or do you think it will matter after the first couple of series?

I guess it matters as to what kind of team you have.  I can see with a Sr/experienced team like Bama that the calm approach would work.  If you have a younger team then you may have to stay on them, keep them fired up with the other antics.

I think the calm approach would work better for this game because you are focused and ready for anything, espcially with the experience.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:51:30 PM by hscoach » Logged
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 12:42:23 PM »

I guess it matter to what kind of team you have.  I can see with a Sr/experienced team like Bama that the calm approach would work.  If you have a younger team then you may have to stay on them, keep them fired up with the other antics.

I think the calm approach would work better for this game because you are focused and ready for anything, espcially with the experience.
Both Les and Saban do a good job getting their team ready for a big game.

I remember the Blackout v. Georgia.  Georgia players were all hyped up.  Bama players were dead serious.
Crimson Legend
Junior

E-Cred: 313

Crimson Legend

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »

Folks like Upshaw must play assignment ball.  Can't be crashing down on the running back when the QB might keep aroudn their end.

I keep seeing people say LSU has some huge advantage in punting the ball.  Unless I looked at something wrong, their punter has a 5 yd per punt advantage in net punting over 29.  I don't see 5 yds as a huge flip the field advantage.

Pray  but I still hope all the kicking we do is extra points.
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 983

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 01:25:38 PM »

I have been going to the different threads and handing these out. We don't need to peak before Saturday night!

XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 01:33:09 PM »

their punter ,  Wing appears to be able to put the ball in either corner of the field he wants 
I think teams are averaging 2 ft. on returns so far this year ?

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 01:38:02 PM »

I hope to see this set this weekend.  TR in the back field with MW then you have three wide.  BG, MM and one of the speed guys KB or DW.  I would not mind seeing MW at TE with TR and BS then a couple of wide outs.  In the first formation you can max protect with 3 wides getting down the field.
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 01:40:40 PM »

their punter ,  Wing appears to be able to put the ball in either corner of the field he wants  
I think teams are averaging 2 ft. on returns so far this year ?

Correct, it's not just a distance thing but accuracy as well.  LSU's cover guys cheat over to the side of the field where the punt goes.  

This could lend itself to a trick play -- Maze is a pretty good passer and could "lateral" the ball across the field, where no defenders are.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:42:15 PM by Catch Prothro » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 233
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0