Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bama Softball ain't what it used to be  (Read 7148 times)
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2023, 02:51:06 AM »

Next year's pitching really worries me. No one on the current roster comes close to Fouts.

We probably won't ever see one again. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2023, 11:16:42 AM »

Next year's pitching really worries me. No one on the current roster comes close to Fouts.

Well,saw last night that Coach has picked up a pretty good pitcher from the transfer portal.  She will be a senior so we'll only have her for one season.  If we can generate more runs we might be ok.
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2023, 11:25:00 AM »

Well,saw last night that Coach has picked up a pretty good pitcher from the transfer portal.  She will be a senior so we'll only have her for one season.  If we can generate more runs we might be ok.

Unfortunately Prange and Shipman (two of our three best producers) are both grad students, so I assume they're gone.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2023, 12:10:08 PM »

Murph said he's looking at 5 more through the portal. Need another pitcher and some bats.
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2023, 12:47:43 PM »

Portal is free agency at its college best. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2023, 03:18:18 PM »

Murphy picked up a pitcher from Central Arkansas that only has one year of eligibility.  She is a good one too. He needs to be looking for the next great high school senior phenom and get her on campus as soon as possible.  He also  needs to find a good hitting coach.  BTW, who is our current hitting coach?  I thought it was Murphy but I'm not sure...Whoever it is though, they need to be repacled.

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2023, 03:34:56 PM »

Murphy picked up a pitcher from Central Arkansas that only has one year of eligibility.  She is a good one too. He needs to be looking for the next great high school senior phenom and get her on campus as soon as possible.  He also  needs to find a good hitting coach.  BTW, who is our current hitting coach?  I thought it was Murphy but I'm not sure...Whoever it is though, they need to be repacled.

Alyson Habetz is list as the coach for outfield play and team offense, so I suppose it's her or her and Murph in combo.  She's been there with Murph for the whole 25 years, which leads me to think job offers aren't beating down her door.
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2023, 03:56:55 PM »

Alyson Habetz is list as the coach for outfield play and team offense, so I suppose it's her or her and Murph in combo.  She's been there with Murph for the whole 25 years, which leads me to think job offers aren't beating down her door.

I agree if coaches are not being approached then they ain't to good. REF: CNS and the football coaches. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2023, 09:53:06 AM »

Did I hear that she is retiring?
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2023, 08:34:39 AM »

I have not read that she is retiring and nothing showed up on a Google search. I hope you are right, but I doubt it. She has been with Murph a long time. She is a weak link, a glorified cheerleader IMO. It would be nice to replace her with a good hitting coach.

Regarding Murphy, I think it is crazy to even consider replacing him. He is the face of the program and is a Hall of Fame coach. He has taken the team to 3 of the last 4 WCWS. That is pretty good by most anyone's standards. Sure, I would like to win another championship but so would every other team in the SEC.

The portal is affecting softball just like any other NCAA sport. The only loss last year that hurt us was Kilfoyl. She was tired of being in Fouts shadow. When Fouts announced she was coming back for her Covid year Kilfoyl was gone. In previous years portal transfers that hurt were Skyler Wallace and KB Sides. KB Sides wanted a change in her 5th year and Arkansas had a master's program she was interested in that Bama did not offer. (at least that is what I read). Wallace was asked to move to the outfield because she was capable of playing any position and Murph was trying to get the best 9 girls on the field. She did not like that and bolted to Florida. Both Sides and Wallace were conference Players of the Year. On the other hand, the portal has also been good to us. Two of our best players have been Prange and Shipman. Like all college sports the Portal is affecting the game.

It will be interesting to see how Murphy fills the line up voids in the off season. We just picked up what appears to be a good pitcher. We do not need to lose any key returners to the portal, and we need to add some bats. Our hitting must improve.
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2023, 09:15:00 AM »

I agree we need to put 9 stars on the field, but we don't need one above the other so all get some credit. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2023, 11:40:34 AM »

I have not read that she is retiring and nothing showed up on a Google search. I hope you are right, but I doubt it. She has been with Murph a long time. She is a weak link, a glorified cheerleader IMO. It would be nice to replace her with a good hitting coach.

Regarding Murphy, I think it is crazy to even consider replacing him. He is the face of the program and is a Hall of Fame coach. He has taken the team to 3 of the last 4 WCWS. That is pretty good by most anyone's standards. Sure, I would like to win another championship but so would every other team in the SEC.

The portal is affecting softball just like any other NCAA sport. The only loss last year that hurt us was Kilfoyl. She was tired of being in Fouts shadow. When Fouts announced she was coming back for her Covid year Kilfoyl was gone. In previous years portal transfers that hurt were Skyler Wallace and KB Sides. KB Sides wanted a change in her 5th year and Arkansas had a master's program she was interested in that Bama did not offer. (at least that is what I read). Wallace was asked to move to the outfield because she was capable of playing any position and Murph was trying to get the best 9 girls on the field. She did not like that and bolted to Florida. Both Sides and Wallace were conference Players of the Year. On the other hand, the portal has also been good to us. Two of our best players have been Prange and Shipman. Like all college sports the Portal is affecting the game.

It will be interesting to see how Murphy fills the line up voids in the off season. We just picked up what appears to be a good pitcher. We do not need to lose any key returners to the portal, and we need to add some bats. Our hitting must improve.
"IF" Habetz is our weak link, she needs to go.  Forget about the loyalty and dedication stuff and move forward. If she is/was our hitting coach then all the more reason to part ways with her.  I honestly thought that Murphy was our hitting coach though but I'm not sure.  If he is, he either needs to hire someone else to do it more effectively or step aside so a new head coach/hitting coach can be put in place.  I do understand about the Kilfoyl transfer but not the others.  IMO, there is/was something else that prompted their departures and I don't think it was a lack of abilities on their parts or that another player was better. I feel that there is/was just something about the culture of the program that drove them away. I hope that wasn't the case and I also hope there aren't other departures this year for the same reasons.

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2023, 07:51:49 AM »

According to the video link below Alabama had an unpaid assistant as hitting coach. Starting next year the NCAA will allow one more paid assistant and that will be a hitting coach.

In the video Murphy talks a little about the incoming class and that he is looking at the portal for help. It is a short video but has some interesting content.

Video Link:
Click here for link
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2023, 08:13:31 AM »

Transfer Portal news:

So far two have entered the portal. Aubrey Barnhart and Jordan Stephens. Barnhart played in 4 games and took a break from softball in February and never rejoined the team. Stephens was a pinch runner, but I am sure she is wanting to be a position player and swing a bat.

The big news already discussed on this site is the addition of Kayla Beaver. A pitcher from Central Arkansas that looks like a very good addition to the team.

Click here for link
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2023, 08:51:57 AM »

Well it is a long year so we have time to build a tea, for next year. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 198
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0