Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: game notes: OM vs Bama  (Read 925 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2022, 08:38:26 PM »

OM vs Bama

Congrats to the Bama players and coaches for the bounce back win.  It wasn’t always pretty, but they did what they needed to do to win the game.  In my opinion, there were still some questionable offensive play calling.  For instance, when Bama go the ball with good field position, after taking the lead, I have no problem throwing the ball on first down, but how about doing it off of play action as Bama was just coming off a drive where the ran the ball.  Also, the back could have picked up the blitz off of the play action.  I put part of this on Bryce also as he didn’t seem to recognize the blitz.

OFFFENSE:  The offense played a better second half than they did the first half.  It is obvious by the stats.  Bama had a total of 317 yards which included 108 rushing and 209 passing.  The majority of these yards were gained in the 2nd half where they tallied 198 yard which included 116 passing and 82 rushing.   At the half they only had a total of 119 yards which is broken down to 26 rushing and 93 passing yards.   Probably the main cause of the increase in yards was the ability to have a bit of a running game. 

Negative plays:  3 tackles for losses, 2 sacks and a fumble recovery.
3 and out: Bama had 3 three and outs, 1 one and out because of a fumble after a reception and a 4 and out when they supposedly went for it on 4th.  That was a strange play, and I don’t think the ball was supposed to be snapped.

Red zone:  Bama had 4 times and scored 3 touchdowns and kicked a field goal.  The other scores came from outside the red zone with two field goals.

10+ plays:  Bama had 7 passing plays and 6 running plays, 4 of these were in the 2nd half.

QB:  Bryce had a better game.  He completed 64% of his passes and was pressured at least 5 times.  His help save Bama more than once with his scrambling ability.  There were a couple of time, that I thought he didn’t look like the old Bryce, but then again, it could be the receivers were wrong on their routes.  I just heard that Young was 6 for 10 when under pressure.

RB: They ran hard and got enough yards to help the passing game.  McClellan was the main runner in the game as he had 19 carries for 84 yards.  I just think a lot of the running game woes fall on the OL.

Rec:  Not counting back, 6 different receivers had catches.  There was at least 1 drop and a fumble off of a reception.   I did notice Bama didn’t run many, if any, wide receiver screens.  I still question the scramble drill or receivers helping out a scrambling QB.

OL:  There just seems to be no real consistency here.  Why are you able to run the game in the 2nd half, but not the first?  I noticed the feet not moving at time, they missed some stunts and they missed some combo blocks, especially in the first half.  At times it looks as if they are lazy or lackadaisical.  At times it looks like they are catching block instead of coming off and delivering the block. 

Def: The defense actually played pretty well except on a few plays.  They came up huge when they were needed. They also had to defend 81 plays.  For some reason, it looked, to me, that the defense was playing hesitant on the first drive.  They gave up a total of 403 yards which included 191 rushing yards and 212 passing yards.  At halftime, OM had a total of 237 yards which means they gained 166 in the second half, 99 passing and 78 rushing.  One huge aspect of the game was that Bama allowed no 4th down conversions.

Negative plays:  I have Bama for 4 tackles for losses, 3 sacks and a fumble recovery right before half which allowed Bama to score and make the game closer.

3 and outs:  Bama had 4 three and outs and 1 one and out as they recovered the fumble on first down.

Red zone:  OM got into the red zone 6 times and scored 3 touchdowns, kicked a field goal and turned it over on downs twice.

10+ plays:  7 passing plays and 2 running plays.  One of the running plays was when the QB broke contain on the 2nd play of the game.

DL:  They played well, especially Young.  He is becoming a force partly because of all the attention Anderson is getting.  Young was credited for being in on 11 tackles and 2 of those were sacks.  I think he also batted a pass down.  Early on, it didn’t seem that they were getting off blocks and this is when they seem to be playing hesitant.  Maybe OM showed some new looks.

LB:  They played pretty well because of all the play action and running game. There was once, people thought that Lawson should have been called for pass interference where he leveled the receiver.  I was just glad to see a receiver hit in the middle of the field.  Remember, this is college where you can hit the receiver as long as the ball isn’t in the air.

DB: Many of the completions were on back shoulder throws.  I can’t see how the offense can use their arm to push off to get back to the ball but the defense if limited to certain contact.  There should have been at least 1 interception.  Also, you can see how a pass rush helps the coverage in a game.   

Special teams: Field goal and extra point game was perfect today.  Coverage was good.  As they said, McKinstry hasn’t returned a punt in 5 games as the opposing team is keeping it away from him.  That could have cost them when OM shanked 1 punt.

Penalties: Bama had 5 penalties for 50 yards.  Three were on the offense and 2 on the defense.  One of the offense penalties was declined when they had and illegal shift on 4th down.  Offense had a delay of game, a holding, and a touching the ball after going out of bounds on their own accord.  The defense had a pass interference and facemask which was on 2nd and 11, this was also a scoring drive.  The facemask penalty was a hustle penalty where the QB dipped his head and unfortunately the defender got the facemask.  There was a penalty that could have been called when Turner pushed the QB’s head down into the ground after a sack.  This would have given them a first down and allowed the drive to continue.  This was what I call a stupid move. 

Finally, Bama still has room for improvement.  The OL needs to create consistency for the final games.  There were missed tackles again, especially on that final drive.  They did improve on the penalties, but there needed to be consistency here.  Bama can still have a successful season if they win out.  They have the players so it is up to them.

Feel free to comment.

18 and Counting

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 07:32:54 AM »

Thank hscoach. It seems the 2nd half won the game for us. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 08:52:15 AM »

Thanks Coach. Great breakdown as usual. All I can say is I'm glad we escaped with the win. Haven't seen a Bama team struggle so much on the road as this team has.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 10:09:49 AM »

Thanks, Coach.  Excellent assessment as always.

I was at the game, and I spent some time watching our receivers.  They didn't get much separation from the DBs most of the game, but there seemed to be good reasons for that.  Bama didn't throw long, maybe because Bryce isn't well yet, or maybe due to cover-2 D.  As the game progressed, the Ole Miss safeties crept up and helped the zone defense.  Ole Miss has some talent at DB for the first time in 3-4 years, and they played a good scheme, matching up well with our go-to receivers, especially Latu.  Latu initially has success finding holes in the D, but during the second half the OM LBs helped cover him by watching Bryce's eyes. 

You're right, this Bama team lacks a spark.  Not sure why.

lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 10:20:20 AM »

Great analysis coach!  Thanks.

Any idea why we are STILL missing so many tackles?

ROLL TIDE!!!
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 01:26:43 PM »

Great analysis coach!  Thanks.

Any idea why we are STILL missing so many tackles?

ROLL TIDE!!!

A few of things I can think of.  One, we take our eyes off the target area and reach instead of going thru the runner.  Think about the big run on the last drive by OM, the DB lowered his head and whiffed on the runner.  We use to teach, watch his belly button, where it goes he goes.  Second, tackling the ball instead of the runner first.  Third, bad angles or taking blocks on with the wrong shoulder.  I have noticed defenders try to run under the block a few times.  I have also seen defenders not keeping their outside shoulder free turning the runner back into the other defenders.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 01:31:29 PM »

I was at the game, and I spent some time watching our receivers.  They didn't get much separation from the DBs most of the game, but there seemed to be good reasons for that.  Bama didn't throw long, maybe because Bryce isn't well yet, or maybe due to cover-2 D.  As the game progressed, the Ole Miss safeties crept up and helped the zone defense.  Ole Miss has some talent at DB for the first time in 3-4 years, and they played a good scheme, matching up well with our go-to receivers, especially Latu.  Latu initially has success finding holes in the D, but during the second half the OM LBs helped cover him by watching Bryce's eyes. 

Sometimes, and it is hard to fight, is some teams think they can walk out on the field and win, instead for proving they can win.  Also, as far as receivers, it just doesn't seem they are on the same page sometimes.  Are the receivers running routes or are they reading the defense for which routes to run?  I was always proponent for know what the receivers were running.  We also, read the safeties for what routes would be run on the backside of a called play and would be communicated with the QB thru hand signals.  Since you were at the game, I would be interested on knowing what did you see from receivers when the QB started to scramble?
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 01:36:26 PM »

Sometimes, and it is hard to fight, is some teams think they can walk out on the field and win, instead for proving they can win.  Also, as far as receivers, it just doesn't seem they are on the same page sometimes.  Are the receivers running routes or are they reading the defense for which routes to run?  I was always proponent for know what the receivers were running.  We also, read the safeties for what routes would be run on the backside of a called play and would be communicated with the QB thru hand signals.  Since you were at the game, I would be interested on knowing what did you see from receivers when the QB started to scramble?

Not a lot of scrambles when I watched the entire field.  Wish I had watched that closer.

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 05:35:10 PM »

This is how the first quarter went:
Defense:
1st and 10 play rec runs by lb with out a real jam on him to throw of route timing.  20-yard gain
1st and 10 QB read and Anderson goes to rb and allows QB to pull ball and get outside of contain. About a 16 yard gain
1st and 10 quick pass to rec about a 5 yard gain
2nd and 5 run to outside left of defense, Moody waits on runner and gets blocked.  Too’ti’o takes a step down toward QB and takes a bad angle for a7 yard gain
1st and 10 toss to the left of defense 9 yard gain, Backer on that side slides in with motion giving the other receiver an angle to block him.  Safety a little slow reacting,
2nd and 1 zone play to defensive right side gain of 2 not a bad job, just need 1 yard
1st and 10 counter to defensive right side Anderson beats the block up field but pulling lineman gets get enough of him to keep him from making the play, Moody blows up the block and forces the runner wide as To’oto’o scrapes over from inside out, safety fills hard, still gained 6 yards
2nd and 4 run the QB read away from Anderson who gets to the mesh point quickly and forces the QB to keep the ball, To’oto’o scrapes to the outside to make the play for only a 1-yard gain
3rd and 3 false start turns it into a a 3rd and 8  pass play with Turner takes a too flat angle and pressures the QB but allows him to escape outside CB Arnold comes off block and makes a tackle about 2 yards short of the first down.
4th and 2 Bama DL makes a pile on the defensive left side and To’oto’o benefits from the DL not allowing OL to get to 2nd level.
Offense
1st and 10  Bama run to the left side blitz by inside DB to that side, TE crosses formation to block the backside , probably should have left him there, penetration forces back deep and pursuit get him for a yard loss, Rec didn’t block very well
2nd and 11 play action pass out to motion man, basically a way to run a screen as the 2 recs were blocking on the play, however there were 3 on 2 and when the deep DB sees blocking, he fill hard and keep the gain for about 2 yards, also again not great blocking by Rec
3rd and 8 2 back set motion out ,4-man rush with 5 protecting as RB releases, young throws to open rec for latu for a 15 yard gain and a 1st down, good protection I will say the 2 receiver, one from the backside gets close to the play side rec making the window smaller than it should be
1st and 10 wide receiver screen to the offensive left side for a short gain, 1 yard, offense outnumbered to that side 3 ½ to 3 with one being the receiver catching the ball. Rec allows DB to attack and push him back into the running lane of ball carrier
2nd and 9 2 back look 7 defender in the box, DL runs a bit of a stunt 54 lunges and missed block and the whole is filled by a couple of defenders, 1yard gain
3rd and 8 4-man rush, LT beat on outside for the sack with a stunt from the 2 down Linemen from that side, outside DL goes in and inside comes out, loss of 9 yards
Punt
Defense
1st and 10 run to the defensive left side again the outside DL comes too far inside and allows the edge to be made, there was a LB to that side because of a trips formation, but the rec had the angle to block him, not sure if that is why the outside player goes so flat, 5 yard gain
2nd and 5 run again to the left side of DL, Moody shoot the gap and tackles the RB for a 2-yard loss,
3rd and 7 quick slant to inside rec and Battle hits him immediately, looks like he came up short, but still gave them the first down
1st and 10 play action throw to the outside rec on Bamas left side, out of bounds so incomplete, good coverage because he used the sideline to help with coverage
2nd and 10 quick huddle break, double pass well defended by Bama, 2 players back on intended rec
3rd and 10 rec is flattened by the safety pass incomplete
Punt
Offense
1st and 10 play action TE (45) beat on the inside has to scramble and throw the ball away
2nd and 10 run to the left side and OL doesn’t sustain blocks 3 yard gain
3rd and 7 show blitz and drops out of it zone coverage, missed outside throw
Punt
1st and 10 reverse run for 8-yard gain, don’t know how they are taught, but when flow goes away, backside guy is usually taught make sure nothing is coming back your way.
2nd and 2 Bama blitzes and pushes the OL back and stops the RB for about a 1 yard gain
3rd and 1 back shoulder throw for a 33-yard gain, rec did a good job going up and high pointing the ball,
1st and 10 QB run to the defensive left side, a counter/power look as the backside player comes to kickout the outside down lineman, gain of 3 yards
2nd and 7 toss to the defensive right side, missed tackle gain of 10 yards Mckinstry runs around the block and never gets his hands on the rec allowing the hole to widen
1st and 10 QB read again Anderson goes with the outside shoulder and allows the Qb to pull the ball and get outside, got away with a facemask and the is a 4-yard gain after watching again, there could be a stunt with the LB Lawson and he was coming outside but when he gets past the blocker he doesn’t close down to the runner
2nd and 6 pass incomplete broken up by Arnold
3rd and 6 pass rush gets too far up the field and leave a huge hole on the right side of the DL so QB scrambles for a 1st down
1st and goal at the 1 false start 1st and 6 QB zone run and get to the 2
2nd and goal at the 2 same play down inside the 1
3rd and goal wildcat formation zone play touchdown
PAT good
Offense
1st and 10 pass 4-man rush vs zone coverage throws the check down which is dropped, should have been at least a 5-yard gain same route as always when rec goes behind the QB
2nd and 10 running play to offensive right, the defense is coming downhill as soon as the ball is snapped, either a blitz or something is giving the play away wide receiver can’t get to OLB/S
3rd and 15 scramble for 14 again the routes are not forcing the defense to cover by themselves, too close together in my opinion, DB’s kept depth to force throw underneath incase ball was thrown.
4th and 1 not sure what this was, but it wasn’t run well if they were actually going for it, penalty for motion declined as play was stopped when the ball was snapped, turnover gives OM short field at the Bama 35

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 02:51:45 PM »

Wow great report. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 218
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0