Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: UM vs Bama  (Read 11155 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2020, 07:35:23 PM »

UM vs Bama

First, congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the big win today.  I think I heard that was 9th straight 11+ win seasons by Bama. Hopefully this trend will continue.

OFFFENSE:  The offense put together 480 yards of total offense which included 327 passing yards and 153 rushing yards.  Many of these yards came in the second half and 91 of them came on a crucial drive when Bama was backed up near their own endzone in a close game.  As for negative plays, I have the Bama offense with 5 tackles for losses.  I credit them with only 2 three and outs, one in each half.  I guess you could have a 1 and out on the first drive since Bama scored on the play that went 85 yards for the touchdown.  As for plays that covered 10+ yards, Bama had 9 passing plays and 7 running plays.  This is a total of 16 plays that covered 10+ yards and 10 of those came in the second half.  Bama got into the red zone 2 and scored 2 touchdowns, while 3 touchdowns came from outside the red zone.  I don’t know if you saw it, but  Jones had his choice of receivers on the first play that went for the touchdown as Ruggs was also open. 

QB:  I thought Jones played a very good game.  He completed 64% of his passes and had no turnovers.  The reason I think he played a very good game is because several times it looked like the pocket was collapsing around him.  It did look as though he was fooled on coverage once when he threw an out route into coverage.  One of his big throws was a 14 yard completion that came on a 3rd  down and 11 near our own goal line on the drive that went 91 yards for the touchdown.

RB:  Harris had a good day running, but also blocking in pass coverage.  He carried the ball 24 times for 136 yards.  He was key in the end of the game when Bama was running the ball and UM knew they were running the ball.  Not only did he gain big yards, he also protected the football.  One of the biggest plays he caused to happen was the touchdown to the tight end.  The RB rail out of the backfield was covered by 2 defenders which left the tight end wide open for the score.  Robinson only carried the ball 3 times, but gained 16 yards. 

Rec: Jeudy as you saw had a huge game as he had 6 catches for 204 yards which breaks down to 34 yards per catch.  Smith and Forristall had 3 catches apiece and all of these three had a touchdown catch.  Waddle had 1 catch and a drop.  On the drop, he felt he was either held or interfered with.  There was one other completion to Billingsley which ended in a loss of 3 yards.

OL:  Too me this was a game of two halves for the OL, especially in the running game.  Early in the game it was tough going in the running game for Bama.  The 2nd half was better as they got a better push and even got to the 2nd level.  The pass protection was good enough that they didn’t give up any sacks.  Par of this was because of Jones getting rid of the ball as well as movement in the pocket to avoid the rush. 

Def:  This was also a game of two halves.  Bama gave up 16 points in the first half and zero in the 2nd half.  The defense gave up a total of 395 yards which included 233 passing and 162 rushing.  Most of these yards came in the first half.  Bama gave up yards, but came up strong the red zone since they only gave up 1 touchdown and 3 field goals.  As far as negative plays, Bama had 3 tackles for losses, 3 sacks, 2 interception, and cause 1 fumble which they didn’t recover, however, it moved UM way back for the next play.  I credit Bama with 1 three and out and 1 one and out because of an interception.  The 3 and out was huge as if came right after a big kickoff return.   For plays that covered + yards, I have UM with 8 passing plays and 5 running plays.  None of the 10+ running plays happened in the 2nd half.  Um got into the red zone twice and scored one touchdown and kicked one field goal.  The other two field goals came from outside the red zone.  The defense made the same mistakes in the first half like they have done in all other games this year.  They missed tackles, they didn’t get off blocks, they lost contain, and they didn’t secure their gaps.  A few times it looked like they would freelance and go where they wanted instead of staying in their gaps.

DL: The DL looked to be manhandled in the first half.  They also were not getting off blocks and losing their gaps.  They were allowing the OL to turn their shoulders and open up the holes for the running backs.  The second half they did a better job.  They were not getting a lot pressure on the passer either in the first half and this also improved in the second half.  I think one of the big telling stats I mentioned above is they had not 10 runs in the second half.

LB: The inside backers played ok as they missed some tackles but not as many in the second half.  They were put in difficult situations in pass coverage a few times as they had to cover the backout and even cover some wide receivers at times. 

DB: I thought the DB’s played pretty well.  They had some PBU’s and had to come up and make some tackles.  I didn’t see as many busted coverages.  I will say they UM QB helped out by not making accurate throws.  The passes that were completed were when the D didn’t get much of a push on the pass rush and the QB had too much time.   I thought Jobe came in and did a good job as a replacement for Diggs.  Early in the game they went after him and he was beat, but he did the right thing by not looking back for the ball and closed in on the receiver and knocked the ball away.

Special Teams:  Bama gave up a couple of kickoff returns which they have done a lot of this year.  Waddle had one punt return for about 13 yard that help set Bama up in good field position.  He had a kick return for 23-yards but didn’t get to the 25.  All extra points were good and all punts were good enough.  UM did return a pooch kick late in the game but it was all for nothing.

Penalties:  This was one of Bama’s better game with only 5 penalties for 25 yards.  There were 3 false starts, one defensive offsides, and a delay of game on a punt.  Even though they hurt themselves a couple of times they didn’t do the damage to themselves like they have in other games this year.

Finally, this was a good way to end the season.  The sad part is Bama wasn’t really beat by others as much as they beat themselves this year.  It is frustrating because of what could have been because of all the injuries and self-inflicted mistakes made by Bama this year.  However, we have high standards and must realize this was still a good year with 11 wins.   

Feel free to comment:

17 and Counting

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 07:42:45 PM »

See ya next year hscoach. God Bless and thanks for your reports. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 07:49:41 PM »

Thanks Coach. Another spot on, in-depth breakdown and assessment. The coaches, IMO, made the best halftime adjustments that they made all year. What do you think?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 07:57:36 PM »

Thanks Coach. Another spot on, in-depth breakdown and assessment. The coaches, IMO, made the best halftime adjustments that they made all year. What do you think?

I think they did also.  But I also know when Saban was irate on the sideline the defense really picked it up.
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 08:08:11 PM »

I think they did also.  But I also know when Saban was irate on the sideline the defense really picked it up.

They did indeed respond. I thought Michigan was going to run us out of the stadium until The D turned it around.
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 09:33:02 PM »

I think they did also.  But I also know when Saban was irate on the sideline the defense really picked it up.

Good to see.  

Finally, this was a good way to end the season.  The sad part is Bama wasn’t really beat by others as much as they beat themselves this year.  It is frustrating because of what could have been because of all the injuries and self-inflicted mistakes made by Bama this year.  However, we have high standards and must realize this was still a good year with 11 wins.   

As much as we'd like to, no team can win it all every year.  There are too many factors, injuries, illness, scheduling, player experience, nerves... the way the ball bounces.   Injuries in key positions hurt Bama this year.  Mistakes by less experienced players.  I think all this will have benefits next year.

Thanks for a good season coach.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 09:47:51 PM by Catch Prothro » Logged
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 07:04:28 AM »

Once again, thanks for your efforts Coach.  Great job as usual.  I was quite frustrated in the first half because we were getting pushed around on offense and defense at the LOS.  The team made great adjustments at halftime. 

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 09:38:19 AM »

Thanks for a great season of analysis coach!  See you next season and ROLL TIDE!!!
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 11:13:26 AM »

Thanks for your analysis all year coach. You do a great job. I am bummed that Najee will probably leave - the second half of this season he really came into his own, not just running the ball, but blocking in pass pro. He will be tough to replace.

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 04:49:37 PM »

The one thing I love here is we can see the team showed up for this bowl game. The last couple times we were out of the playoffs we didn't show up against Oklahoma and Utah. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 05:25:45 PM »

Thanks, coach.

I haven't watched the replay yet, but I want to see what our adjustments were in the second half.  Without DJ Dale in the middle on D (he's hurt), Michigan ran over us (and the freshmen LBs).  Not so in the second half.

And it seemed that putting #87 (Forristall) in certainly helped on offense during the second half.  His injury hurt us late this year too, especially in the blocking for sweeps and WR screens.

Anyhow, thanks for your contributions to the forum.  Without you we're all  Panic

Red Elephant
Grad Student

E-Cred: 2253

Red Elephant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 05:56:25 AM »

Well read coach.

I really felt good after this win.  Alabama was prepared and in great shape.  The body blows Michigan delivered in the first half would have been enough to make most teams mail it in.  Our second half adjustments were as good as any I've seen.  Michigan could not run the ball in the second half like they did earlier in the game and Shea Patterson could not beat us with his arm.

As far as the late score, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.  Jim Harbaugh should think about that before he accuses anyone else of cheating.

Roll Tide!
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 11:32:18 AM »

Tweet after the game:

"Jim Harbaugh calling a timeout against Alabama with one second left so that Shea Patterson can end his college career with an interception is so Michigan that it hurts."

Click here for link

2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 11:47:38 AM »

Tweet after the game:

"Jim Harbaugh calling a timeout against Alabama with one second left so that Shea Patterson can end his college career with an interception is so Michigan that it hurts."

Click here for link

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 11:54:46 AM »

Well we could have scored again but we didn't. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 199
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0