Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: AU vs Bama  (Read 10041 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2019, 07:13:04 PM »

AU vs Bama

First, this game, like the LSU game, could have been won.  However, Bama made too many mistakes offensively and defensively to win.  There were assignment bust as well as penalties which hurt Bama throughout the game. 

OFFFENSE:  The offense put together 515 yards of total offense, against what is supposed to be one of the best defensive teams in the nation, which included 335 yards passing and 180 rushing.  However, the mistakes overshadowed the positive the offensive output for the Bama team.  As for negative plays, I have Bama with 8 tackles for losses, 1 sack, and 2 interceptions which resulted in 2 touchdowns.  I credit Bama with 3 three and outs and one of those was because of the first interception.  For plays that covered 10+ yards, I have Bama with 11 passing plays and 6 running plays.  Bama got into the red zone 5 times and scored 3 touchdowns, threw and interception, and missed a field goal.  In other words, Bama left anywhere from 6 to 11 points on the field.  They scored 2 touchdowns and a field goal from outside the red zone.  The other touchdown came on the Waddle kick off return. 

QB:  If you could take away the 2 huge interceptions, Jones had a heck of a game.  He was 26 for 39 for 335 yards and equates to 67% completion.  He did miss a couple of throws, but he also threw a couple that should have been caught.  I know the biggest interception was throw on the goal line and Jones should have thrown the ball away because of pressure.  However, there was a missed block, in my opinion, by Kaho who was in the backfield with Harris and did not pick up the rushing defender.  On the first interception, I don’t know why the ball sailed on him.  It almost looked like he wanted to go deep but changed his mind in mid-throw to check down. 

RB:  Harris had 146 yards on 27 carries which is 5.4 yards per carry.  He was impressive finishing run and delivering punishment.  He also added 26 yards on 4 receptions.  The times he was called upon to block he did a good job.  Robinson was not much of a factor running the ball, as he carried the ball 2 times for -1 yards.  He did have 1 big reception for 7 yards.  Bolden came in and ran the wildcat for a 3-yard gain to give Bama a first down on a 4th down play.

Rec: The ball was distributed pretty evenly among the receivers. Ruggs had 6 catches for 99 yards and 1 touchdown.  Smith had 5 catches for 80 yards and Jeudy had 5 catches for 26 yards.  Waddle had 4 catches for 98 yards but also had 3 touchdown catches.  AU also did a good job on open field tackles which kept the Bama receivers from gaining extra yards on many short passes.

OL:  Overall, I would say, except for the penalties, played well.  You can’t rush for that much yardage and give up only one sack against a tough defense without playing well.  They got to the second level more than once.  They also picked a few stunts.  They were also blocking 2 potential first round draft choices on the AU DL.  The bad part of the OL was the penalties which I will discuss later.

Def:  It is hard to say the defense had a good game because of the busted assignments at crucial times.  They gave up a total of 354 yards which included 173 passing yards and 181 rushing yards.  As for negative plays, Bama only had 4 tackles for losses and a fumble recovery.  I also credit Bama with only 1 three and out.  For plays that covered 10+ yards, AU had 8 passing plays and 6 running plays.  AU got into the red zone 3 times and scored 3 touchdowns.  They kicked 4 field goals from outside the red zone and the other scores came from the interception returns. 

DL: The DL missed opportunities to make plays by not getting off blocks.  They also opened up running lanes for the QB on the rush as well as not containing the QB especially on crucial plays.  There was one time where it looked like Bama was running a stunt but the one player didn’t come inside to replace the player going outside.  This opened up a huge hole for the QB draw which happened on the final touchdown drive for AU. 

LB: The inside backers player a pretty good game, however Lewis was a  non-factor as he totaled 1 tackle.  Jennings, on paper, had a decent game, but he is one of the players on the edge that allowed AU to break contain in crucial situations. 

DB: They made some plays, but also missed some plays.  One of the big plays was just and outstanding one-handed catch.  On the same drive the defense allowed the QB to escape outside and complete a pass to Hastings for 11 yards and a first down to keep the chance of a TD alive, which they scored. 

Special Teams:  The big items from the special teams are the missed field goal and the TD return on the kick-off by Waddle.  AU did have a big punt return which help lead to a touchdown. 

Penalties:  Bama had penalties but only 13 counted.  They were spread around as they had 7 offensive, 3 defensive penalties and 3 on special  teams.  If my count is correct, about 7 of these penalties were in the 4th quarter.  There were several big penalties, holding on the first touchdown drive which negated the touchdown and Bama had to settle for a field goal.  This was 4 crucial points Bama lost.  A face mask penalty on the drive after the punt return moved AU to the 7-yard line.  They later scored a touchdown.  The pass interference call came on a 3rd and 10 which kept a scoring drive alive.  Offsides on a 4th and 4 gave AU a first down.  A false start took away the opportunity for Bama to go for 2 after a touchdown.  AU was helped by a questionable roughing the passer call on their last touchdown drive.  Finally, the big one where Bama had and illegal substitution when they were going to force AU to punt giving them a chance at the end of the game.

Finally, this has been a frustrating season because of the defensive mistakes and mistakes/penalties during crucial times.  The most frustrating is they had chances to win every game.  I keep mentioning Bama losing the edge on defense and here are some examples.  First, Lewis loses the edge and AU runs for 15 yards.  Second, Young, a freshmen, loses the edge and Nix walks in for the touchdown.  Third, lost contain near halftime allowing Hastings to make a 11-yard catch which gave them a first down on 3rd and 10.  This was on a touchdown drive.  Fourth, on their last touchdown drive, Jennings lost contain and AU had a 15-yard run.  Fifth, on this same drive, on 3rd and 5, Nix was able to escape outside and complete an 11-yard pass.  I know we should be happy with a 10-2 season with a chance to be 11-2 but we have become spoiled.  It makes it worse that you can see where games could have been won.

Feel free to comment:

17 and Counting

Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 08:57:32 PM »

Thanks, coach.  Painful to read about that game, so I know it was hard for you to analyze it.

We had a discussion yesterday about a play during the second half.  Nix had just made a 15-yard run the previous play (I think), then rolled left the next play and threw to a receiver who bobbled the ball while stepping on the sideline.  The receiver kept running, but was whistled to a stop.

Meanwhile Barmore had pushed Nix, and a flag was thrown.  We got a 15-yd penalty, but the refs marked it off from where the receiver stepped out.  No review, but the receiver clearly was bobbling the ball when he stepped on the line.  He gained control as he ran the sideline.

Now the push was minor, but a wimpy QB gets that call these days.  But the play should have been incomplete pass.

Didn't cost us the game, but was quite a penalty.  What say you?

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:02:23 PM »

Thanks, coach.  Painful to read about that game, so I know it was hard for you to analyze it.

We had a discussion yesterday about a play during the second half.  Nix had just made a 15-yard run the previous play (I think), then rolled left the next play and threw to a receiver who bobbled the ball while stepping on the sideline.  The receiver kept running, but was whistled to a stop.

Meanwhile Barmore had pushed Nix, and a flag was thrown.  We got a 15-yd penalty, but the refs marked it off from where the receiver stepped out.  No review, but the receiver clearly was bobbling the ball when he stepped on the line.  He gained control as he ran the sideline.

Now the push was minor, but a wimpy QB gets that call these days.  But the play should have been incomplete pass.

I agree.  There were a couple of calls I thought were questionable.  The holding that cost Bama the TD, may have been sold by the defender.  I say other things that weren't called.  However, Bama still killed themselves.  On the interception that went 100 yards, I would have run that ball on first down.  Also, I say that and see if the back blocks the rusher and gives Jones time, Harris had the step on the defender.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 09:18:50 PM »

I agree.  There were a couple of calls I thought were questionable.  The holding that cost Bama the TD, may have been sold by the defender.  I say other things that weren't called.  However, Bama still killed themselves.  On the interception that went 100 yards, I would have run that ball on first down.  Also, I say that and see if the back blocks the rusher and gives Jones time, Harris had the step on the defender.

Agree.  Bama didn't execute well enough to win.  Credit the crowd, their D, and their intensity.  But also the ball bounced the other way; not ours.  That fumble they had on the kickoff went OB, the ball off Harris' butt to the DB for a 100-yd pick 6, etc.  Mac played better than I expected, but his interceptions both became scores.  WTH??
Just not our night.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 09:46:21 PM »

I heard Gus talking about the last penalty to end the game when we had 12 men on the field.  He said it wasn't designed to try to draw a penalty, that just happened because of all of the confusion.  The point was to leave the QB in and send the punter out wide so we would have to put our regular defense back in.  Then after the normal defense was in the punter was going to reset and try to quick kick it.  The whole point was to keep Waddle off the field and prevent him from even having an opportunity to return it.  So the play was designed to prevent a big punt return by Waddle, not to try and trick us into getting an illegal substitution penalty.

He said that Waddle was the best punt returner in the country and they were trying to think of some ways to try to neutralize him.  After hearing his explanation I have to tip my hat to him.  It was pretty clever on their part.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 09:54:29 PM »

I heard Gus talking about the last penalty to end the game when we had 12 men on the field.  He said it wasn't designed to try to draw a penalty, that just happened because of all of the confusion.  The point was to leave the QB in and send the punter out wide so we would have to put our regular defense back in.  Then after the normal defense was in the punter was going to reset and try to quick kick it.  The whole point was to keep Waddle off the field and prevent him from even having an opportunity to return it.  So the play was designed to prevent a big punt return by Waddle, not to try and trick us into getting an illegal substitution penalty.

He said that Waddle was the best punt returner in the country and they were trying to think of some ways to try to neutralize him.  After hearing his explanation I have to tip my hat to him.  It was pretty clever on their part.

I can see that.  I wouldn't want to punt to him either.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 07:58:06 AM »

Good job hscoach thanks for the year. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Red Elephant
Grad Student

E-Cred: 2253

Red Elephant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 08:25:04 AM »

Thanks HC.  Too bad we had so many offensive penalties.  I agree that other than that the offensive line had a really good game.  I would have bet the house that we would win the game scoring 45 points.  Najee played great and I hope he decides to return for his senior year and degree.

Thanks again for the game notes.  I’ve enjoyed them all.

RTR
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 09:02:17 AM »

Thanks HC.  Too bad we had so many offensive penalties.  I agree that other than that the offensive line had a really good game.  I would have bet the house that we would win the game scoring 45 points.  Najee played great and I hope he decides to return for his senior year and degree.

Thanks again for the game notes.  I’ve enjoyed them all.

RTR
I saw on ESPN last night that Tua hasn't decided if he will enter the NFL or come back.  Click here. 

"You think of risk-reward on coming back. You think of risk-reward on leaving," he said during an interview with ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit. "And when I look at it, I kind of look at it, if I come back, the risk is what if I get hurt again? But the reward could be maybe I jump back to the top of the charts, the boards for all these teams."

I can't see him coming back.  But, if he does, I think Bama will lose one or possibly two QB's to transferring.

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 09:20:02 AM »

I just hope Byrce Young don't leave. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 09:27:34 AM »

I just hope Byrce Young don't leave. RTR!
I doubt Tua coming back would impact his decision to come or not.  More likely Mac Jones would probably transfer as could one or more of the four freshmen QB's listed on the roster.

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 10:21:30 AM »

Thanks coach.  Good, though painful, notes.  The offense scored enough points for the win.  I'm not sure what the problem was with the defense (other than youth and injuries) but no one is going to win many games giving up over 40 points.

As far as Tua coming back affecting other QBs or commitments, I thought Tua's most significant comment was that the docs weren't sure he'd be able to play football.  I hope he can play, and play well but if we have a QB or a commitment that is afraid to compete, especially against a guy who potentially has a bad wheel, maybe they should go elsewhere.

ROLL TIDE!!!
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 11:08:43 AM »

Thanks coach.  Good, though painful, notes.  The offense scored enough points for the win.  I'm not sure what the problem was with the defense (other than youth and injuries) but no one is going to win many games giving up over 40 points.

As far as Tua coming back affecting other QBs or commitments, I thought Tua's most significant comment was that the docs weren't sure he'd be able to play football.  I hope he can play, and play well but if we have a QB or a commitment that is afraid to compete, especially against a guy who potentially has a bad wheel, maybe they should go elsewhere.

ROLL TIDE!!!

I know part of the problem on defense is youth and injuries.  However, Jennings isn't young and has lost the edge numerous times this year.  I can see how the youth may make mistakes.  Breaking bad habits they could get away with in high school is hard.  Also, the desire to make a play instead of taking care of your assignment is a hard concept to grasp, especially when you are used to making plays.  They have to get better on defense and I think they will with age.  The question is how many players will leave for the draft and how many will Bama have to replace.

I think the transition of coaches leaving along with the players leaving for the NFL has taken a toll this year more than any other.  Bama also needs that one or two dominate pass rushing/run stoppers on the DL.
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 12:11:01 PM »

ROLL TIDE!!!

I know part of the problem on defense is youth and injuries.  However, Jennings isn't young and has lost the edge numerous times this year.  I can see how the youth may make mistakes.  Breaking bad habits they could get away with in high school is hard.  Also, the desire to make a play instead of taking care of your assignment is a hard concept to grasp, especially when you are used to making plays.  They have to get better on defense and I think they will with age.  The question is how many players will leave for the draft and how many will Bama have to replace.

I think the transition of coaches leaving along with the players leaving for the NFL has taken a toll this year more than any other.  Bama also needs that one or two dominate pass rushing/run stoppers on the DL.

Dylan Moses loss was the big factor. I have already heard over here in East Alabama how might as well get ready our run is over. Good coaches won't coach for CNS and all the crap you can imagine. If our players would come to Alabama to win championships instead of getting into the worthless nfl, we would beat people regular I think. Just my Personal Opinion. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 01:24:41 PM »

ROLL TIDE!!!

Dylan Moses loss was the big factor. I have already heard over here in East Alabama how might as well get ready our run is over. Good coaches won't coach for CNS and all the crap you can imagine. If our players would come to Alabama to win championships instead of getting into the worthless nfl, we would beat people regular I think. Just my Personal Opinion. RTR!

I hope you gave them a black eye preacher!

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 219
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0