Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: UT vs Bama  (Read 12432 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2018, 12:35:06 PM »

Tenn vs Bama

First, congrats to the Bama coaches and players on a great victory.  This was a game where UT came off a big victory and had high expectations. The defense set the tone early and help the Bama offense put points on the board.

OFFFENSE:   Bama put together 545 yards of total offense, which included 327 yards passing and 218 rushing.  Most passing yards, 256, came in the first half while most rushing yards, 123 came in the 2nd half.  This is to be expected with the big lead and Bama wanting the clock to run.  Bama could have put more points on the board if they had wanted too.  As far as negative plays, Bama had 4 tackles for losses and 1 interception off a tipped ball which was returned for a touchdown.  The first negative play didn’t come until 1:50 left in the 3rd quarter.  Bama was credited with 2 three and outs which were back to back and happened in the first half.  This was the first time, according to the announcers, that Tua had consecutive 3 and outs in a game.  Looking at the positives, Bama had 14 pass plays that covered 10+ yards and they had 9 running plays that covered 10+ yards.  Only one of these was a scramble by Hurts which covered 21 yards where he scored.  Bama reached the red zone 7 times and scored 6 touchdowns.  The other trip the ball was turned over on downs as Bama was trying not to run up the score.  Bama also scored 2 times from outside the red zone.

QB:   Tua played well and made some nice throws.  He did a very good job of finding receivers when he had to escape pressure.  There were a few balls that were thrown high and I wonder if this has something to do with the knee or if the wind effected a couple of throws.  He did throw one up for grabs which fortunately wasn’t intercepted.  He also threw what I call a hospital ball where Waddle took a big hit but held on to the ball.  There was also a drop on a catchable ball.  Tua also missed Juedy in the endzone for what would have been a touchdown, but they scored anyway.   Jalen played well in the short time he was in.  I thought he would have gotten in a little sooner.  He did have a pick that was returned for a TD, however, it was tipped and just happened to fall right into the hands of the DL that scored.  His other passes were on target and he checked down to find one receiver.

RB:  The running back divided the carries up and gained 190 yards on 27 carries which breaks down to over 7 yards a carry.  I do wonder if D Harris isn’t a little banged up since he only carried the ball 3 times.  N Harris had a big highlight moment when he hurdled a defensive player on a 14-yard gain.  They did a good job pass blocking and picked up the blitz on more than 1 occasion. 

Rec:  Not counting RB’s, 5 different receivers had catches. They were divided up pretty well among 4 of them as 2 had 5 catches, Smith and Jeudy, while Waddle had 4 and Ruggs had 3.  Each one of these guys had a touchdown reception.  I going to say right here the routes this year looked better than in the past.  Anyone on the route has a chance to be thrown the ball.

OL:  I thought they played one of their better games.  As, I state above the first tackle for loss wasn’t until there was 1:50 left in the 3rd quarter.  They gave up no sacks even though there was a little pressure, I think it came more from coverage.  This is a game where the OL got a push on the goal line and Bama scored 3 touchdowns, 4 if you count the rushing touchdown by Jalen.  This is a game where the OL got to the 2nd level more than once.  The worse I saw from them was on 1 running play, Pierschbacher’s man ran under the block.  Instead of continuing on he looked back and stopped.  He should have continued looking for the next UT player.  The other was on the screen where the UT player beat the block.  I thought if the OL had continued instead of lunging he could have made a block and it would have been a big gain on the screen.

Def:  The defense played well especially in the beginning of the game.  They started out with 3 straight 3 and outs and would have been 4 if not for an offsides penalty.  The defense gave up a total of 258 total yards which included 227 yards passing and 31 rushing.   Bama only gave up a total of 87 yards in the second half.  They only gave up 6 yards in the 1st quarter.  I have Bama credited for four 3 and outs one which was because of a fumble.  They also had a 1 and out as there was a safety in the begging of the 2nd half.  As far as negative plays, I have Bama credited with 10 tackles for losses, 3 sacks (all in the first half), and they caused 3 fumbles one that was recovered and set the offense up in the red zone which led to a touchdown.  For plays that covered 10+ yards, UT had 7 passing plays and 1 running play.  The running play didn’t happen until the 2nd half.  UT got into the red zone twice and scored 2 touchdowns, they did have a chance for a field goal from outside the red-zone but they missed the field goal.    One thing that stands out to me, is that it seems Bama is playing better assignment football.

DL:  I thought the DL played a very good game.  It seemed that Williams or Buggs were making plays all day.  I also thought Ray played well replacing Davis.

LB:  They played well, but the front line really made plays before they got to their level many times.

DB: The DB’s played better than it looked.  There were a couple of balls that were contested but caught by the offense.  The UT QB made a couple of good throws where their receiver was the only one who had a chance for the ball. 

Special Teams:  Kick-off returns were good when they returned except for one which could have been a disaster.  Bama returners let the ball hit the ground and made a good play to get to it and make 3 yards.   The first big return help give Bama good field position for their touchdown drive.  It seemed like the wind had an effect on the balls that were kicked.  Bama was surprised by the onside kick, but fortunately the UT player touched it before it went 10 yards.  Another positive was Bama averaged about 41 yards on 2 punts.

Penalties:  Bama had 5 penalties for 36 yards.  Of the ones that were enforced, Bama had 2 on special teams, offsides and block in the back.  There were 2 holding calls, one of offense and one on defense.  There was 1 more false start on offense, which Bama overcame.  Most of the penalties were overcome or didn’t really hurt Bama.

Finally, the bye week came at a very good time.  It will be good for Bama to get their legs under them and allow some of the injuries to heal.  This also gives Bama time to improve even more on their assignments.  Also, just like LSU they have 2 weeks to prepare. 

Feel free to comment:

17and Counting

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 12:42:04 PM »

Well done hscoach. Thanks for a great report. I notice what time you could see Jalen he sure looked disappointed on the sidelines. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 12:43:49 PM »

Well done hscoach. Thanks for a great report. I notice what time you could see Jalen he sure looked disappointed on the sidelines. RTR!

I thought the same thing.
Red Elephant
Grad Student

E-Cred: 2253

Red Elephant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »

Thanks coach. 

I've had some real concerns with our run defense early in the season - they seemed a bit soft in the middle.  It looks to me like our run defense has improved weekly and I'm beginning to feel really good about our chances to stop LSU's running game.  I don't think their quarterback can beat us with his arm.  What are your thoughts concerning improvement with Bama's front 7 this season.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 01:53:37 PM »

My concern is our passing defense. Our DB's can't cover a good strong guy at all. One man yesterday had almost all the catches and takes the ball away for our DB's. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 02:35:45 PM »

Thanks coach. 

I've had some real concerns with our run defense early in the season - they seemed a bit soft in the middle.  It looks to me like our run defense has improved weekly and I'm beginning to feel really good about our chances to stop LSU's running game.  I don't think their quarterback can beat us with his arm.  What are your thoughts concerning improvement with Bama's front 7 this season.

I agree with you.  I think, especially the last 2 weeks, Bama's front 7 has played better football.  They have cleaned up their assignments and missed less tackles.  They are not perfect by any means but they are making a lot fewer mistakes.  I also, think the communication has been better, there doesn't seem to be as much confusion with the calls and lining up.  As far as LSU QB, again I agree with you.  I was watching the LSU/MSU game last night and he really didn't impress me.  He was 16/29 and had 129 yards or something close to that.  I would expect the passing game to be to get rid of the ball quickly against Bama.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 02:37:55 PM by hscoach » Logged
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 02:39:16 PM »

My concern is our passing defense. Our DB's can't cover a good strong guy at all. One man yesterday had almost all the catches and takes the ball away for our DB's. RTR!
Bemember the OM game, they covered the big guys pretty well.  A lot has to do with the QB being able to get the ball to them.  A good pass rush will help.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 02:44:07 PM »

Thanks Coach. You're on the money as always.

Stopping the run game has improved every week. It makes the other team's QB have to beat you with his arm. Kudos to UT's backup QB, Chryst. He did a great job. Even though, they made a few big pass plays on us, our DBs missed far fewer assignments than previous weeks, from what I could see.

I certainly agree with RE, I don't see Burrow beating us with his arm, and if we stuff the run against LSU like we did yesterday, we could win going away.

But we all know how fired up the crowd gets at Red Stick, and LSU will play inspired football, at least for a while.

Your thoughts, Coach?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 03:00:46 PM »

Stopping the run game has improved every week. It makes the other team's QB have to beat you with his arm. Kudos to UT's backup QB, Chryst. He did a great job. Even though, they made a few big pass plays on us, our DBs missed far fewer assignments than previous weeks, from what I could see.

I certainly agree with RE, I don't see Burrow beating us with his arm, and if we stuff the run against LSU like we did yesterday, we could win going away.

But we all know how fired up the crowd gets at Red Stick, and LSU will play inspired football, at least for a while.

Your thoughts, Coach?

It will be, by far, the toughest challenge for Bama especially being at LSU.  I don't think their QB can beat Bama by throwing the ball.  LSU averaged  8 yards a reception last night vs MSU.  Bama may have to stay more patient this game and settle for drives instead of quick scores.  Hopefully the our QB will take what is given and not try to force the action.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 03:19:51 PM »

Thanks coach.  Spot on.  Looking forward to the bye week and our guys having time to heal!  I was really surprised to hear that 34 didn't play for disciplinary reasons.  I hadn't heard that he had any of those kind of issues.  On to LSU and ROLL TIDE!!!
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 03:24:48 PM »

Your thoughts, Coach?

It will be, by far, the toughest challenge for Bama especially being at LSU.  I don't think their QB can beat Bama by throwing the ball.  LSU averaged  8 yards a reception last night vs MSU.  Bama may have to stay more patient this game and settle for drives instead of quick scores.  Hopefully the our QB will take what is given and not try to force the action.

Except in the first half while Devon White is out, Right? 
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 03:47:17 PM »

Your thoughts, Coach?

Except in the first half while Devon White is out, Right? 

They do need to take advantage of that.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »

I look forward to reading your reports each week. Another spot on analysis.

What are your thoughts on Deonta Brown #65 starting at left guard instead of Cotton? How do you think Brown did? Your guess on who starts the LSU game?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 04:50:59 PM »

I look forward to reading your reports each week. Another spot on analysis.

What are your thoughts on Deonta Brown #65 starting at left guard instead of Cotton? How do you think Brown did? Your guess on who starts the LSU game?

I thought he as well as others played well yesterday on the OL.  I'm not sure but didn't Cotton have and ankle injury a week or two ago.  The good thing is that it is a good problem to have with 2 guys playing well at the same spot.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 06:02:30 AM »

Excellent analysis, coach.  Thanks.   

Someone mentioned that Jalen's tipped pass (returned for a TD) resulted from his lack of good footwork and throwing off his back foot.  Please comment on Jalen's footwork, and what he might do to improve it.

Thanks much.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 178
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0