Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: Ark vs Bama  (Read 6169 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2018, 09:57:08 PM »

Ark vs Bama

First, congrats to the Bama coaches and players on a great victory. Bama had this game under control early, but many mistakes allowed Ark to put points on the board as well as put many yards on the defense.

OFFFENSE:   The offense put together 639 yards of total offense.  They had 246 rushing and passed for 393.  Bama had 463 yards at the half which means they only had 176 in the 2nd half.  It looked like they may have been putting more emphasis on the run game.  They also lost one possession since the D returned an interception for a touchdown.  As far as negative plays, I had Bama for 4 tackles for losses, however in the official stats they registered 2 of those as no gain.  They had no sacks and no fumbles or interceptions.  They did not have any 3 and outs, however, they had one 4 and outs since they couldn’t convert a 4th and 1.  They did convert one 4th and 1 later to score a touchdown.  For plays that covered 10+ yards, Bama had 14 pass plays and 9 running plays.  Bama got into the red zone5 times scoring 4 touchdowns and kicked one field goal.  They 4 touchdowns from outside the red zone and one touchdown was scored by the defense on the interception return. 

QB:   Tua again had a good game.  He was 10 for 13 for 334 yards.  The equates to a 77% completion rate.   There was at least one play where he did a great job checking down and finding the secondary receiver.  Jalen was 4 for 5 for 80%, but it seemed when he got in the game, the main focus was the running game. 

RB:  The running backs combined for 207 yards on 33 carries which equates to 6.3 yards per carry.  When called upon they caught the ball well.  The biggest disappointment was the missed block by Robinson missing a block on the 4th and 1 and Bama didn’t convert. 

Rec:   Five different receivers had catches.  Jeudy and Waddle both had 4 catches.  Irv Smith had a 61.5-yard average on 2 catches.  The bad part was the fumble which was recovered and carried into the endzone for a touchdown by Ruggs.  This is important because it showed outstanding hustle by Ruggs instead of sitting back and watching the play.  Also, on the big runs you could see the receivers blocking downfield.

OL:  The OL did a pretty good job opening big holes at times.  There were a couple tackles for losses, but they gave up no sacks and there wasn’t a lot of pressure when Bama passed.  I do think they can do a better job sustaining their blocks as well as getting to the second level.  I do think they did get to the second level better this game than they did in past games.  I also think they play to high at times.

Def:  Ark, had a good game plan.  They threw screens early to slow down the pass rush, or short passes/delay routes to take advantage of a big pass rush. They also moved the pocket to help the QB. The defense has some cleaning up to do.  Before I give you the stats, I am going to be specific on a few things.  First, I have Bama for 9 missed tackles.  They are not doing a great job getting off blocks.  On the 31-yard run, Mosley got hooked and the safety didn’t fill and the corner didn’t get off the block.  On the 32-yard run, the outside DL, I think it was Buggs, so there was no outside contain.  On the 17-yard run, Moses, took the block on with his outside shoulder which pins him inside allowing the runner to escape.  If he takes it on with his inside shoulder the block bounces him to the running lane.  Moses had a bad read trying to go inside instead of scrapping over the top which allowed for a 9-yard gain.  Buggs again lost contain as he went outside on a scramble which allowed an 11-yard gain.  All of these are correctable.  As far as the stats I have Bama getting 8 tackles for losses, 1 sack, 2 fumble recoveries, and an interception for a touchdown.  As far as 3 and outs, I have Bama credited with 3 which all occurred in the first half.  For plays that covered 10+ yards, I credit Ark with 10 pass plays and 4 running plays.  Ark got into the red zone 5 times.  The scored 4 touchdowns and fumbled once.  They also kicked a field goal from outside the red zone. 

DL:  They played pretty well considering the game plan by Ark.  As I stated the moved the pocket and used screens in the passing game.  The big problem is losing the edge.

LB:  As hard as I was on Moses above, he led the team with 10 tackles many which were in open field because of the game plan. 

DB: I thought they played ok. They were in position many times, but the receiver made the play.  The did bust a coverage on one of the touchdown throws.  One of the biggest plays was when Thompson covered a lot of ground to knock the ball away from the wide-open back who was lost in coverage.  Along with the screens and short passes I mention above, Ark used rub routes to free up receivers.  I will say Ark runs them correctly where you can’t really call offensive pass interference.  One other thing worth mentioning was the use of misdirection to get the throwback to an open tight-end.

Special Teams:  The two big mistakes by special teams was the missed PAT and the huge kickoff return toward the end of the game.  I don’t know if they relaxed because most of the time the returners fair caught many other kickoffs. 

Penalties:  Bama had 5 for 31-yards.  The big ones were the face mask, which could have been a stop but gave Ark a first down where they later scored and the pass interference which help Ark score late in the game. I do think the roughing the passes was a bit of a stretch. 

Finally, this game shows the D has some cleaning up to do with assignments and tackling.  Like I stated above all of these are correctable. 

Feel free to comment:

17and Counting

N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 03:05:54 AM »

Great assessment Coach.  Thanks.  I didn't get to watch the game so I was particularly anxious to read your comments.  With our defense being relatively young one would tend to expect a few more mistakes than what we are used too.  I was listening to the game on the radio some of the time and kept getting aggravated with them. 

You mentioned arKansas' game plan a few times.  Do you think other teams down the schedule might try to utilize the same or similar game plan with a better chance to beat us?

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 05:53:49 AM »

Thanks much, coach.  Very thorough and in-depth analysis.

Question:
During the 3rd quarter the Arky QB rolled out, started to run, then threw a pass just as Buggs tackled him.

Buggs was penalized for "Roughing the Passer". 

The passer was out of the pocket, but when I looked up the rule, it seems the rule wording is about the QB being in a "Passing Posture"; no mention of the pocket.

Does this mean the QB can raise his arm as if passing and it'll be a penalty?  If so it'd be a penalty every time the QB throws the ball OB and is hit.  You mentioned above that the roughing penalties were a stretch.  Do you understand the rule about "passing posture", and can explain?

N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:23:30 AM »

Question:
During the 3rd quarter the Arky QB rolled out, started to run, then threw a pass just as Buggs tackled him.

The passer was out of the pocket, but when I looked up the rule, it seems the rule wording is about the QB being in a "Passing Posture"; no mention of the pocket.

Does this mean the QB can raise his arm as if passing and it'll be a penalty?  If so it'd be a penalty every time the QB throws the ball OB and is hit.  You mentioned above that the roughing penalties were a stretch.  Do you understand the rule about "passing posture", and can explain?
Does that rule still apply if the qb still has the ball in hand when he gets hit?

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 09:42:27 AM »

Great assessment Coach.  Thanks.  I didn't get to watch the game so I was particularly anxious to read your comments.  With our defense being relatively young one would tend to expect a few more mistakes than what we are used too.  I was listening to the game on the radio some of the time and kept getting aggravated with them. 

You mentioned arKansas' game plan a few times.  Do you think other teams down the schedule might try to utilize the same or similar game plan with a better chance to beat us?

I think other teams will look at the game plan and could model some of their game plan after it.  It is a pretty good plan to throw quick and short and keep possession of the ball.  You have to be satisfied moving the ball at that pace and you hope you get a big play every once in a while.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 09:47:23 AM »

Question:

I'm not sure I even understand some rules anymore.  I understand a severe blow to the head, but when you jump to block a pass and your hands "graze" the head without any reaction from the QB I think is far fetched.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 09:49:40 AM »

Question:

Does that rule still apply if the qb still has the ball in hand when he gets hit?

I think anytime the QB is hit in the head it is called if seen.  I think it should be a deliberate blow, but then again it puts it in the judgment of the official.  I think this is why they did away with the facemask call and made them all 15 yarders.
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 09:50:20 AM »

Question:

I'm not sure I even understand some rules anymore.  I understand a severe blow to the head, but when you jump to block a pass and your hands "graze" the head without any reaction from the QB I think is far fetched.

Then we all agree.   

lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »

Thanks for the analysis coach!
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 10:00:19 AM »

How'd you like this sourpuss as a date to the game??  

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »

Everybody gets a trophy girl.
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 10:19:42 AM »

Here's her trophy:

N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 11:39:43 AM »

Here's her trophy:

You probably don't want to know what she will probably do with that trophy since she likely has never, and probably will never, have a man in her life...

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 11:42:58 AM »

Here's her trophy:

You probably don't want to know what she will probably do with that trophy since she likely has never, and probably will never, have a man in her life...

Laughing
Actually, as you could see during the game, the poor guy at left appears to be her date.  He looked miserable too.  

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 02:26:55 PM »

Hey hscoach great job. I can't fuss much myself, but I wonder about this lingering FG misses. Dog gone he is gonna miss one one game that hurts us if he is not careful. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 191
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0