Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: ULL vs Bama  (Read 9998 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »

ULL vs Bama

First, congrats to the Bama coaches and players on a great victory. Bama’s practices are probably more difficult than this game was. 

OFFFENSE:   The offense put together 608 yards of total offense.  They had 340 passing and 268 rushing.  These stats could have been a lot worse for ULL if Bama hadn’t substituted as much as they did.  The increased their rushing total as well as they should have playing an undersized/undermanned team. As far as negative plays, Bama had 2 sacks and 1 tackle for a loss and there were no 3 and outs for this game on the offensive side of the ball.  As far as plays for over 10 yards, Bama had 9 pass plays and 9 running plays.  Bama got into the red zone 8 times and scored 5 touchdowns, missed 2 field goals and ran out the clock to end the game.   Bama did score 2 touchdowns from outside the red zone, while one touchdown came on special teams on the punt return.  Basically, the offense did what they wanted most of the day.  The moved the ball with the backups but didn’t come away with points as two field goals were missed inside the red zone.  This means Bama left at least 6 points on the field.

QB:   Tua was very good as he was 8 for 8 for 128 yards Jalen was 4 for 6 for 118 yards but should have been 5 for 6 as one of his passes was dropped.  Jalen’s is throwing the ball so much better this year.  A huge part is the improvement in his decision making and confidence in throwing the ball.  He should have had a pick but fortunately the defender dropped the ball.  This throw was not a good decision.  Jones was 1 or 2 for 94 yards and a touchdown.  He could have been 2 for 2 because I thought the incomplete should have been caught.

RB:  The running backs combined for 247 yards on 40 carries for a 6.71 average.  All ran hard and when called upon to pass block did well.  The best part about the running game of Bama, is they have depth in this position which means they will be fresh later in the year when the games get tougher.

Rec:   Five different receivers had catches yesterday.  Yesterday, Ruggs was the leading receiver.  I would have to check, but I think Smith has surpassed his total catches and total yards from last year.  I also noticed them blocking well on some of the running plays that covered more than 10 yards.

OL:  The OL did good job yesterday as they should have.  This should be expected as they had the physical advantage against a lesser team.  What I will say, is they seem to have a better pad level coming off the ball.  They were able to get to the second level more than once.  The sack that was given up came on a delayed blitz where there was basically not drop by the QB.  It seemed to be an RPO and I couldn’t see what happened to the receiver on the play.  I will have more faith in the OL when they make these kind of strides against a more physical team.

Def:  The defense had a huge first half and a drop off in the second half.  The big concern of the defense at this point for me is the missed tackles.  Bama gave up 288 total yards of offense.  ULL had 200 yards rushing and 88 passing.  As far as negative plays, Bama had 3 tackles for losses, 2 sacks, forced a fumble they didn’t recover, and had 2 interceptions.  The defense is credited for 4 three and outs all which occurred in the first half.  Bama gave up 3 first downs in the first half and 12 in the second half.  I know many backups were playing in the second half, but the missed tackles help ULL keep drives alive.  As far as plays of 10+ yards, they had 4 pass plays and 6 running plays.  They got into the red zone twice and scored touchdowns both times.  The good news is they didn’t get there until the 4th quarter when the game was out of hand. 

DL:  They played okay.  Bama did rotate players in so it was difficult for me to see who really just stood out. 

LB:  The LB’s played pretty well.  Many of the passes were short and they had to make the plays along with the safety and nickle/dime backs.  One thing that really impressed me from the LB’s was the hustle by McMillon on the long run where he stopped them right before they scored.  He could have easily given up.

DB:  I thought they played well.  The longest pass play was 23 yards.  It looked to me that ULL only threw the ball over 10 yards or attempted to throw the ball over 10 yards 10 times.  Out of these plays, there was a sack, 2 interceptions, a touchdown, and many incompletions.  The DB’s seem to be in position most of the time.  Some of the plays that went for over 10 yards were passes that were completed underneath and there were yards after the catch.

Special Teams:  The good part of the special teams were the blocked punt and the punt return for the kickoff.  They also had a good kickoff return.  It did look like Bama coaches made a change on the kickoff return team as Robinson moved up and got a good kickoff return as ULL was trying to pooch.  The negative was the 2 missed field goals that took points off the board.    Some of the kickoffs weren’t pretty but they were effective.

Penalties:  Bama had 3 five yards penalties that they overcame each time.  Two were on offense and 1 was on special teams.

Finally, this was a game to work on fundamentals especially in the offensive line.  In my opinion, I saw better technique.  I also understand there may be some players who are healthy now that could push other players.  I will say it was evident Bama didn’t take this game lightly which coaches always fear when playing a substandard opponent.

Feel free to comment:

17and Counting

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »

Another great analysis, Coach. Bama easily could have scored 100 if they wanted to. The O is so efficient, it will most likely carry us if the D suffers, even though the ones on D seem to be improving each week,

Was also very glad to see the reception that Jalen received when he came in.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 02:25:30 PM »

Yes, indeed, you did another excellent analysis, coach.  Thank you and e-cred.   

Looks like Coach Saban did an excellent job of juggling everything needed to keep both QBs.  Both could lead this team, as needed; and we can use both as is.

I'm still not sold on this OL, but it seems almost nobody's college team has a worthy OL these days.  The NFL must swipe them away too quickly.

Anyhow, thanks much.   Applause E-Cred

lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 03:57:53 PM »

Thanks, Coach.  Great analysis.  On to Arkansas!
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 04:21:27 PM »

Great job hscoach as always. The one thing I think Bama needs to work on is the penalties. We are going to be in a close game with somebody and these penalties are going to cause us to lose a game. Wait and see is my feelings but they need to be stopped. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:42:11 AM »

Noting to do with LaLa, coach, but something I've wondered about  several times this season.  What effect, if any, does a left handed quarterback have on either the offense or the defense?
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »

Noting to do with LaLa, coach, but something I've wondered about  several times this season.  What effect, if any, does a left handed quarterback have on either the offense or the defense?
Glad you asked too.  I recall when Stabler was sitting on the bench for years at Oakland, because (among other things) receivers said, "The ball spins the wrong way."

lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 04:06:03 PM »

Hey Coach!!!  Any ideas on my question above?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 06:33:27 PM »

The spin is different, but really shouldn't make a difference.  Especially with the offense and balls that are thrown.  I will say that if you really watch the Bama receivers have done a great job this year catching the ball with their hands.  There aren't many times the ball gets in on their body.  Sorry, I missed the question.
Merk
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3915

Merk

ROLL TIDE!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 06:40:50 PM »

Thanks again, Coach,  for time and work you put into these weekly. They are always on point.

"Son, we're Alabama. We don't play second fiddlle to anyone". ~Friday Night Lights
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 06:45:28 PM »

Thank you guys for all your participation.  I really enjoy the football talk.
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 08:26:02 AM »

The spin is different, but really shouldn't make a difference.  Especially with the offense and balls that are thrown.  I will say that if you really watch the Bama receivers have done a great job this year catching the ball with their hands.  There aren't many times the ball gets in on their body.  Sorry, I missed the question.
Thanks for your analysis.

I agree, the receivers are doing a great job catching the ball with their hands.  Combined with a QB who quickly finds the open WR is a pretty lethal combination for opposing defenses.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 09:07:31 AM »

The answer of the ball not getting to their body is special. We were taught when throwing a pass to make sure we lead the Receiver so his hands get the ball. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 09:48:01 AM »

Thanks for the answer coach.  I thought it ought not make a difference but wasn't sure.
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 09:49:42 AM »

Thanks for the answer coach.  I thought it ought not make a difference but wasn't sure.
The ball spins opposite south of the equator anyway.   Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 224
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0