Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Weis will throw 'kitchen sink' at Tide" Lots of intel about Florida strategy  (Read 5021 times)
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2011, 06:03:34 AM »

Florida coach Will Muschamp has been adamant through the first four games that the Gators have been holding nothing back, saving nothing for, say, Alabama.

He must have been talking about the UF defense.

Because offensive coordinator Charlie Weis revealed Tuesday that there's still plenty left in his thick playbook, and it sounds like it's all coming out Saturday night against the nation's strongest defense.

“Sometimes when you're playing football, you have to realize that punting isn't necessarily a bad thing,” Weis said. “We want to score a touchdown every time we get the ball. But you want to make sure you make good decisions where you don't make that critical mistake and give one to them.

“You play fundamental football and you have to go ahead and throw the kitchen sink at them. They're going to get the kitchen sink.

“You guys have been writing about holding things back. Well, you won't have to worry about that this week. They're going to get plenty.”

Going against a dominant defense with no apparent weaknesses, the Gators may have to empty Weis' playbook in an attempt to find a rhythm and score some points.

Weis said the Tide has that kind of defense.

“It's unique when you go against a defense that is solid at every position. That doesn't happen very often,” Weis said. “Most people talk about what are they going to do schematically. I always start with personnel. I always look for weak links in personnel, people that you can attack.

“This is an unusual group because they really don't have one. They're solid across the front, solid at linebacker, solid in the secondary. Throw on top the fact they're very well-coached and not a grab-bag operation and you have your work cut out for you.”

The Tide defense has been almost impossible to crack through the first four games, but Weis and the Gators appear to be looking forward to the challenge.

“I think we'll show up on Saturday,” Weis said. “I think we have a lot of confidence in our own ability and we realize this will be quite a challenge and we have a lot of respect for the Alabama defense and their coaching staff.

“We have a lot of confidence in ourselves, too.”

Through the first four games of the season, Weis' offense has been run through speedy tailbacks Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps, who have combined for 1,015 total yards (running and receiving) and eight touchdowns.

They are the focal point — and the aspect of the offense that Alabama likely will target in preparation.

“We have to wait and see how they play the game (on defense),” Weis said. “You have to have multiple ways of being able to do that (effectively use Demps and Rainey). You can't just do the same thing each week. You have to have a plan where if they stop this, you have another way of getting to the same means to an end.

“You just have to see how it goes. You go into the game and you have to have to plan and tweak. You have to have a plan ready to go depending on what they end up doing.”

Weis said the one thing the Gators can't afford to do is turn the ball over Saturday.

“We have to do our job,” he said. “One of the things is take care of the football, not give up any easy points to the opponent..."

Click here for link

Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 08:51:01 AM »

All of this strategy comes down to one decision for Muschamp and Weis, "How can we beat Alabama?"  Certainly by now they've reviewed all of the tape and come to a decision on the specifics.

If I had to guess, I'd think they see the Achilles heel of Alabama in the kicking game.  It isn't very vulnerable, maybe not a true Achilles heel, but it's their best shot.  I expect a lot of effort in blocking punts and getting big punt returns.  Without those, I don't see them convincing their teams that they have a chance.  You?

Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:02:54 AM »

All of this strategy comes down to one decision for Muschamp and Weis, "How can we beat Alabama?"  Certainly by now they've reviewed all of the tape and come to a decision on the specifics.

If I had to guess, I'd think they see the Achilles heel of Alabama in the kicking game.  It isn't very vulnerable, maybe not a true Achilles heel, but it's their best shot.  I expect a lot of effort in blocking punts and getting big punt returns.   Without those, I don't see them convincing their teams that they have a chance.  You?
No doubt Bama's kicking game is its main weakness, although coverage has been pretty good.  Florida has done well blocking punts this season, so you can expect them to try that.  Joker Phillips commented that Florida's defensive linemen pull the blockers out of the way so that Rainey/Demps can get into the backfield for the block.  I suspect Bama will be prepared for that.  Florida also might try an onsides kick.

Forida will continue its dink and dunk offense, though without a deep ball threat Bama should have that covered.  And don't expect Florida to be able to get around the edge as they have done in past games.

On defense, Florida will stack the line and challenge AJ to pass.  That's their best hope.  If they can't stop the run it will be a long night for Gator fans.

I think the "kitchen sink" reference is a ploy requiring Bama to prepare for everything, although Florida will need some lucky breaks, the ball bouncing right, and they might just require the kitchen sink to have a chance in this game.
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 11:27:23 AM »

If I had to guess, I'd think they see the Achilles heel of Alabama in the kicking game.  It isn't very vulnerable, maybe not a true Achilles heel, but it's their best shot.  I expect a lot of effort in blocking punts and getting big punt returns.   Without those, I don't see them convincing their teams that they have a chance.  You?
No doubt Bama's kicking game is its main weakness, although coverage has been pretty good.  Florida has done well blocking punts this season, so you can expect them to try that.  Joker Phillips commented that Florida's defensive linemen pull the blockers out of the way so that Rainey/Demps can get into the backfield for the block.  I suspect Bama will be prepared for that.  Florida also might try an onsides kick.

Forida will continue its dink and dunk offense, though without a deep ball threat Bama should have that covered.  And don't expect Florida to be able to get around the edge as they have done in past games.

On defense, Florida will stack the line and challenge AJ to pass.  That's their best hope.  If they can't stop the run it will be a long night for Gator fans.

I think the "kitchen sink" reference is a ploy requiring Bama to prepare for everything, although Florida will need some lucky breaks, the ball bouncing right, and they might just require the kitchen sink to have a chance in this game.

Applause E-Cred  Good response. 
Anybody else have an opinion??

pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6111

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »

Florida's special teams is the best in the SEC according to what I've heard this week. We don't need a breakdown there. I expect Florida to line up and see how their speed attack fairs against us. I don't expect that to work. Their only option at that point is try to let the QB beat us and work in a few trick plays. Again I do not think that will work. IMO the only chance Florida has is to get trurnovers, win the kicking game and rattle AJ. I think Florida has a good team but I think Alabama and LSU are much better than anyone else in college football.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 12:23:03 PM »

Well to me if Cody can only kick 36 to 37 yds we need every yard of it. Why not, kick it out bounds at that yd. point to where we get all we can out of every punt. I also use to see Cade in High School kick them out of the endzone, I thought he would kick them in the Endzone in college. Maybe I was wrong again expecting that. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 01:13:01 PM »

Florida's special teams is the best in the SEC according to what I've heard this week. We don't need a breakdown there. I expect Florida to line up and see how their speed attack fairs against us. I don't expect that to work. Their only option at that point is try to let the QB beat us and work in a few trick plays. Again I do not think that will work. IMO the only chance Florida has is to get trurnovers, win the kicking game and rattle AJ. I think Florida has a good team but I think Alabama and LSU are much better than anyone else in college football.

Right (pmull and Preacher).  But keep in mind, all we have to do is keep moving the chains and they will get no returns

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 05:18:20 PM »

Well to me if Cody can only kick 36 to 37 yds we need every yard of it. Why not, kick it out bounds at that yd. point to where we get all we can out of every punt. I also use to see Cade in High School kick them out of the endzone, I thought he would kick them in the Endzone in college. Maybe I was wrong again expecting that. RTR!

I saw those kicks out of the end zone too.  I wonder if there is a difference in the ball between high school and college.  I know he is 10 yards farther back, but if they went out of the end zone in high school they should at least go into the end zone in college.  I suppose it could be the tee as well.  Does anybody know?

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 05:20:41 PM »

As to the game, I think it is all about Alabama.  Florida is just there as a spectator, hanging around and hoping Alabama screws up somewhere.  If Alabama does what they are supposed to do and does not make mistakes, there is nothing Florida can do to win.  JMHO

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Merk
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3915

Merk

ROLL TIDE!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 05:33:20 PM »

The key to the game is for Bama to make the Gators one dimensional
by shutting down their running game and forcing them to win in the air.
This plays perfectly into our strength defensively. My guess is that will
be their strategy against us as well. Difference is,
our defense can accomplish this where theirs won't be able to.

"Son, we're Alabama. We don't play second fiddlle to anyone". ~Friday Night Lights
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »

If I remember correctly, CW will come back with the same play if it is successful.  I think I remember him running about 4 straight screen passes against UT when he was at ND.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 06:52:12 PM »

Bama and the Gators match up well statistically. But the level of competition between our first 4 games and theirs is considerably different. I don't know how Muschamp and Weiss run their practices, but Bama is known for running the 1s at the 1s. Florida needs to write their "opening script" for about 28 pts.(lol),-- it is the best chance they have. To keep it respectable, they can only hope to not be too far behind when our depth kicks in. RTR

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
rueben
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2005

rueben

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 09:42:13 PM »

They sound desperate.

cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 11:32:17 AM »

UF will no doubt come out ready, and I think they will give the Tide a game for the first half, maybe a little more. But right now, we have so much more depth than they do, we will finally wear them down midway through the third quarter and start to pull away. I don't think our defense will be challenged much, but I think the offense might shoot itself in the foot some in the beginning, allowing them to stay close. A healthy dose of TR and EL and the blocking of the OL will be too much for their D, and Brantley is going to get knocked around a ton. Plus, I don't think Demps and Rainey will be able to outrun Dre or Mark.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 222
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0