Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Championship Game Notes: Georgia vs Alabama  (Read 10741 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2018, 05:17:59 PM »

Georgia vs Bama

First, congrats to the Bama coaches and players on a great comeback victory to give Bama their 17th National Championship.  It wasn’t as clean a game as the Clemson game was, but Bama fought back and won the game.  Also, we must give some props to Kirby Smart and the Georgia coaches and players on a hard-fought game.

OFFFENSE:   The offense had a tough time in the first half and played a very strong 2nd half.  The offense put together 371 yards of total offense.  This included 187 yards passing and 184 rushing which is almost as balanced attack as you can have. The difference in the second half as far as yards are concerned, Bama had 277 yards in the 2nd half as opposed to the 94 yards in the 1st half.  As far as negative plays, I only have Bama giving up 2 sacks, 3 tackles for losses and 1 interception.  I credit with 4 three and outs and one 2 and out because of an interception.  For plays that cover 10 plus yards, I have Bama with 7 pass plays and 6 running plays, most of which came in the second half.  Bama got into the red zone 5 times.  On these 5 trips, Bama scored 2 touchdowns and kicked a field goal.  On the other 2 trips, they missed field goals, 1 which would have won the game without going to overtime.  One of the biggest changes for the offense which led to the victory, besides Tua, was the play of the offensive line.  There a few things I would like to know.  One, why does Bama not have a better short passing game?  Two, why does Bama not use max protect sets on obvious passing downs?  You can use the max protect set and then release if the other team doesn’t send the pressure.  Third, where is the running back screen game?  I do think Daboll is transitioning to the difference from calling a pro game to the college game.

QB:   Hurts did not play well and was under pressure a lot.  He missed a huge pass that would have put Bama on top on the 1st drive of the game. I am not sure if Hurts has lost his confidence or maybe he just is going to be able to develop as the passer we want him to be.  I think he has made strides this year, but not sure he will be the QB of the future.  Tua played well.  He did make a couple of mistakes, but he make up for them on other plays.  I will say he is a better runner than I gave him credit for.  I do notice that Tua is more willing to throw the ball into a tight window more than Jalen is.  I do wonder what happened on the interception.  Every receiver was blocking instead of running a route.  I would assume the play was not communicated as well as it should.  There is something else, that seems to stand out to me and I hope it is not my imagination.  It seems that when Jalen takes the snap he doesn’t seem to drop any deeper, where I notice Tua does drop more when he takes the snap.  I also think Tua was throwing the ball to Harris on the touchdown throw that Ridley came across the end zone and caught.  Later, I heard one of the announcers say the same thing.  

RB: They ran hard against a tough physical defense.  As a whole, the running backs averaged 5.8 yards per carry, but this is mainly because of Najee Harris who had 64 yards on 6 carries which averages out to 10.7 yards per carry.  They caught the ball well out of the backfield and the big thing they had no turnovers.  D Harris did miss at least one block on the blitz by the linebacker and thing there was another one missed by Jacobs.  I really don’t remember where the backs were knocked backwards on a tackle except on the swing pass to Bo where the Georgia LB made a great play.

Rec:   The made some very good catches   They got open more in the 2nd half than they did the first half and part of this has to do with the time the quarterback had to throw the ball.   They caught balls that were thrown low that they didn’t catch in the Clemson game.  Smith had one catch during the game and it was a huge one.  The other thing about the receivers is that the ball was spread around, Ridley 4 catches, Ruggs 3 catches, Foster 3 catches, Jeudy 1 catch, Sim 1 catch, and Hentges I catch, and this doesn’t even include the catches by the backs.

OL:   They did not start out very strong but came on in the 2nd half.  I thought Hassenauer had a good game.  In my opinion, he played as well or better than Cotton has been playing.  Also, when Leatherwood came in and played very well.  I do know if he may not have played better than Williams at left tackle.  Speaking of Williams, he missed a cut block and caused pressure on the QB and my main question is why he was cut blocking because he was the only OL using that technique.   I also know the right tackle missed his block on a 3rd and short which stopped a drive.  There was another miss block over there but that is because the UG player timed the snap perfectly and he didn’t have a chance to get out of his stance and get to him.  The was also a pressure from the left side and I think Willams was in which caused Tua to miss the throw on the middle screen which looked to have been set up well for a big play.  Also, on the left side of the OL, I again think it was Williams allowed Tua to be hit on the throw which came up short on an open receiver.

Defense:  This was a tale of two halves.  In the first half Bama missed some tackles and busted some assignments.  What I mean by this is there were opportunities to make stops and they allowed Georgia to get on the edge since the edge player crashed down when that is not his responsibility.  They took some bad angles on the running back especially on the 3rd and 20 where Georgia ran for a first down.  Now, for yards allowed, UG had 361 total yards of offense which included 232 passing and 133 rushing.  What is significant here is that of the 361 yards, 223 were in the first half which means they had 138 in the second half.  What is remarkable about the 138 yards is that 93 of those yards came on the 4-play drive where they threw the 80-yard touchdown.  This happened about the middle of the 3rd quarter which means Bama held them to 75 yards the rest of the game.   As far as negative plays, I have the Bama defense with 4 sacks (2 in each half), 8 tackles for losses (7 in the 2nd half), and 2 interceptions.  For three and outs, I have UG with 4 one of which was and interception.  I also have them with a 1 and out because of an interception.  For plays that covered 10 plus yards, UG had 11 pass plays and 5 running plays.  Georgia got into the red zone twice and scored 1 touchdown and 1 field goal.  The other touchdown and field goal, not counting the one in overtime, was from outside the red zone.  In the 2nd half Bama corrected many of the mistakes from the first half.  I think the first half they were wanting to make a play so badly that they forgot the techniques and assignments.  

DL:   Overall, they played well except early when they lost their rushing lanes not giving up the edge.  The UG running backs averaged 3.4 yards per carry and most of it was because of the job the DL did.  Lewis, Payne, Buggs, and Davis all were credited for at least 5 tackles.  They were also the group, and I am including Lewis and Miller in this group, that had 3 of the 4 sacks.  

LB: They played extremely well as both inside backers led the team in tackles.  Some of the pass completions were because they were so concerned with the run they didn’t get to drop very deep in the passing lanes.

DB:  They had a huge responsibility in this game.  They made some plays and missed some plays.  One of the best plays made was when Tony Brown got the first interception.  What he did, after he stumbled is what made the play.  Instead of looking back at the quarterback to see what was going on, he sprinted to his receiver and fortunately the quarterback was pressured and couldn’t step into the throw like he would normally.  The bad play by Brown was on the touchdown throw.  He allowed the receiver to get on him before he came out of his backpedal which now means he is beat.  Again, I think Thompson did   a good job filling in for Jones.  It also needs pointing out the hustle by Fitzpatrick on the first play of the game, where he blitzed and went down but got back up to be in on the tackle

Special Teams:  This is where you had good and bad.  The good was the coverage on the kick offs.  Also, good was the punts except for one, but Bama was bailed out because of a block in the back.  The bad was the missed field goals.  This could have kept the game from going into overtime.  Also, fortunately the blocked punt was disallowed because of a penalty which should not have gone Bama’s way.

Penalties:  Bama had 6 penalties for 41 yards.  First you have a false start on the field goal that was made then taken off the board and we all know he missed the next one.  One a 3rd and three Brown steps in the neutral zone and caused the receiver to move giving UG a first down.  Then Bama had a holding on a punt return which took away crucial yards after the punt.  The illegal substation looked to be caused by a lack of effort getting off the field.  Nest you have a roughing the passer which should not have happened and gave UG a 1st and goal.  Finally, the unsportsmanlike like conduct on the kick off return gave UG additional yardage and lucky he was not thrown out of the game.   The angle on tv didn’t show what happened during the play that caused the reaction.

Finally, this was an outstanding job by Bama in the second half.  This was also a game where Saban made a decision to switch quarterbacks, something many coaches wouldn’t have done.  Since, I have mentioned that, I must give props to the way Jalen handled the situation.  Also, by the end of this game, Bama was playing without 5 starters, 6 if you count Jalen.  Hootie Jones, Hamilton, Cotton, and Jennings, were out before the game while Willams went out during the game.   Next year will be very interesting with all the returning players along with who will now play quarterback.

Feel free to comment:

17and Counting
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:30:29 PM »

Thanks Coach, for all your hard work this year. It's always a great analysis every week and this one is no exception. You are spot on again as always.

It was indeed, a mixed bag of everything in this game, but we persevered and came away with #17. And yes, kudos to Kirby. What a great job he did.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:46:18 PM by 2Stater » Logged
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:45:19 PM »

Thanks for your hard work and great analysis.   Applause E-Cred
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 06:50:07 PM »

Hey hscoach man as I have said you need to really be on JOX or in a studio with your work. It's really great and I want to thank you for the season and look forward to next year. The TIDE really rolled with different talent aft Shaun went down in the first of the year injuries just kept banging at us. I am not sure why but one thing for sure we now have #17. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »

Great job as usual HS.  As others stated, thanks for the effort you put into breaking  down the games.

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 05:47:02 AM »

Excellent and thorough, coach.  A crazy game, worthy of a championship.

Much has been made of the poor job of officiating in this game (Big 10 refs).  Comments?

XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 05:54:58 AM »

great job here and all year coach , thank you for what you do 

when I feel myself slipping into the "no football funk"   Stars
I can read your notes , it's like a PFD for the next 8 months

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
bamalum67
Grad Student

E-Cred: 119

Male

bamalum67

Bama born and Bama bred

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 06:13:40 AM »

HSCoach..there are two things I always look for after each game:  one is CNS' press conference, and the other is your analysis of the game.. Many thanks for your work..I know you do it for the love of all things BAMA, and the love of the game.

I hope CNS or at least some of the staff read your work..I am sure it shows them things they might overlook.

I hope you have a great summer, and I look forward to this coming season,,and our road to no.18!

ROLL! TIDE!  (and beat the booger eaters)

"It ain't the size of the dog in the fight..it's the size of the fight in the dog"
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 09:32:56 AM »

Excellent work coach!  Thanks for a great season!

ROLL TIDE!!!
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 09:49:46 AM »

I agree with bamalum67 - I look forward to your analysis after every game. Thanks, hscoach, for you hard work and breaking things down for us. RTR

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 09:53:59 AM »

Coach, thanks for these notes and the comments you have given us all year.  Always very informative.

Have a good off-season and we'll all look forward to doing it again this fall.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »

Excellent and thorough, coach.  A crazy game, worthy of a championship.

Much has been made of the poor job of officiating in this game (Big 10 refs).  Comments?

There were missed calls on both side and maybe Bama came out ahead.  On the blocked punt the play should have never taken place as the play should have been blown dead with the false start.  There were a couple of plays where I thought that when the wide receivers were blocking they were grabbed by the face mask, no call.  I know that Ridley ran a slant once and  you could see the DB grab his jersey around the collar and  there was not call.  The touchdown throw to Ridley, which I really think he was going to Harris, Harris was going to be interfered with if the pass had gone thru.  The officials missed calls on both side.  Did they influence the outcome of the game, I don't know.  In my opinion the game should not have gotten to overtime because of the missed field goals.  By the way, did the UG rec step out of bounds on the long TD throw?  Since I didn't see green between the shoe and sidelines, I think maybe he was out of bounds.  I don't think the calls would have changed the outcome of the game, but who knows. 
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 06:48:35 PM »

HSCoach..there are two things I always look for after each game:  one is CNS' press conference, and the other is your analysis of the game.. Many thanks for your work..I know you do it for the love of all things BAMA, and the love of the game.

I hope CNS or at least some of the staff read your work..I am sure it shows them things they might overlook.

I hope you have a great summer, and I look forward to this coming season,,and our road to no.18!

ROLL! TIDE!  (and beat the booger eaters)

Thanks for the kind word, but I am sure the coaching staff knows more than I do and don't need my analysis to see what is going on.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 06:58:28 PM »

As usual when typing my notes I get ahead of myself and leave some things out.  Here are some additions:

Bama prides themselves on stopping teams on third down and long.  In the first half, Bama had at least 6 times when they had UG in third down and 5 plus.  On 6 of these plays this is what happened:

3rd and 20: UG ran to their right and Bama lost the edge and took bad angles and the UG running back gained 24 for a first down. 

3rd and 8:  there was a 23 yard completition.

3rd and 6:  there was a 16 yard completition.

3rd and 7:  there was a 16 yard completiion.

3rd and 10:  there was a 14 yard run'

Now the 2nd half was different.  They only converted on 2 of the long 3rd down plays.

3rd and 11:  they threw and 80 yard touchdown where Brow was beat

3rd and 6:  they had a 13 yard completition.

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 07:00:17 PM »

Thank you guys for all the kind word.  I enjoy doing this because I love football.  Also, if you would like to see something added or changed please let me know.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 222
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0