Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: Clemson vs Bama  (Read 8205 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2018, 04:36:47 PM »

Clemson vs Bama

First congrats to the Bama coaches and players on a great victory with give you a chance for another National Championship.  In my opinion, the defense and special teams won this game.  It was a game where the defense played great assignment football with very few mistakes.

OFFFENSE:   The offense was held to 261 yards of total offense.  This included 120 passing and 141 rushing.  They had several opportunities because of short fields, however they were playing against a very strong Clemson team.  As far as negative plays, Bama had 2 sacks, 3 tackles for losses and 1 fumble which led to 3 points for Clemson.  Bama was credited with 3 three and outs and 1 one and out because of a fumble.  For the positive, Bama had 6 pass plays and 4 running plays that covered that distance.  Bama got into the red zone and 4 times.  They got two touchdowns and 1 field goal while they missed 1 field goal which relates to being points left on the field.

QB:   Hurts didn’t have the best game, but he wasn’t horrible.  I do think he was responsible for the fumble which led to points.  The balls he threw were not always perfect, however there were at least 2 or 3 that were catchable.  He did underthrow the deep ball that should have been a touchdown.  I will say he was under pressure several times and kept from losing yards.  He even kept his eyes downfield when he threw the touchdown to Ridley on the scramble.  Ridley was open earlier on the routes, but I don’t remember if he was flushed early or what.

RB: They ran hard.  There were times they were on routes when the OL was outnumbered on the LOS.  I guess this was called routes instead of checks for blocking and releasing.  I thought Harris was the better running back yesterday.  He made a hell of a play on the 4th and 1.  They all made catches where some turned into big plays.

Rec:   Four different receivers had catches with Ridley again being the main target.  A couple of catches were very good catches because of where the ball was thrown.  There also was a couple of drops.  The balls weren’t perfect, but they were catchable. 

OL:   They did have a stalemate and created wholes more often than not.  However, there were still mistakes.  There were whiffs by both the left guard and tackle on separate plays.  If I remember correctly they both led to negative plays.  It seemed to me that they stayed on combo blocks a while too long which allowed the LB’s to come up and make quick plays.  Maybe there should have been a fold block, or you need to come off earlier to the next level.  There were a few times when the OL was outnumbered and there was no back to pick up the extra man.  I guess Bama thought they could control the blitz with the backs in the routes.

Defense:  This is where the game was won.  Bama gave up a total of 188 yards, 124 passing and 64 rushing.  You also must understand 75 of those yards were on the last drive of Clemson when Bama was more of less playing a bit of a prevent defense.  Clemson had 73 total yards in the first half.  In the 2nd half, up until the last drive Bama held Clemson to 40 total yards.  As far as negative plays, Bama had 6 sacks, 5 tackles for losses, and 2 interceptions.  One of the interceptions set up a touchdown and the other was returned for a touchdown which means they were responsible for 24 of the 24 points.  For three and outs, I have Clemson 4 official three and outs.  There was a 1 and out because of the interception and it isn’t counted as a three and out because Clemson kicked a field goal but the stop after the fumble was huge because they basically had the ball in the red zone ready to tie up the game.  For the plays of 10 plus yards, Clemson had 5 pass plays and 1 run which was the result of a scramble where the rushers got too far up the field and opened running lanes.  They did get into the red zone 3 times.  They kicked a field goal on one, they were pushed back outside the red zone where they kicked a field goal, and then they turned it over on downs.  The biggest positive on the defense was how well they played assignment/technique football.  There were few breakdowns that led to big plays.  I guess the most notable was the scramble which led to the only 10 plus yard run.   

DL:   They played a hell of a game.  All who played contributed in a positive way.  They allowed the LB to run and make plays since they kept the OL from getting to the 2nd level.  They were also able to get a lot of pressure on the QB without the blitz.

LB: They played extremely well. Evans led the team with tackles and Wilson made the interception for the touchdown.  If you really watch the interception for the touchdown, you see Wilson see the QB looking to Wilson’s left, he starts to shade that way.  On the release of the ball, Wilson starts heading that way and puts himself in a position to make the interception or be ready to help make the tackle if necessary.

DB:  They played well.  They jammed players on the goal line on one play with kept him from getting off the LOS which could have cause a pick situation if given a free release.  Several players had PBU’s as well as made open field tackles.  I thought Thompson played extremely well especially being his first start.   

Special Teams:  This is the other area where Bama won the game.  The kick-off coverage team kept Clemson pinned in on the kick off.  The best return they had was when they took a knee.  The punting team kept them pinned back and made for a long field just like the kick-off coverage team.  They also put a big hit on the return.  The only negative was the missed field goal which left points on the field.
Penalties:  Bama only had 3 penalties but only 2 were enforced.  They had an illegal formation and a delay of game.  The most harm was done by the lineman downfield which wasn’t enforced because there was also a PI on Clemson.  If it had only been a PI call it would have given Bama first down with a better chance of scoring before the half.

Finally, this game shows how well a nearly healthy Bama can play on defense.  Remember they are still without Hamilton and Jones.  Also, Wilson probably has to play more snaps with Moses and Hamilton out.  They have a chance to bring home another National Championship.  Hopefully, this will happen Monday night.

Feel free to comment:
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:52:42 PM »

I really enjoyed watching the D last night 

and the play with Payne ...  Applause E-Cred

I love it when the BIG guys score !!!   Applause E-Cred

thanks Coach , the best notes as always ! 

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 04:57:30 PM »

Excellent analysis, Coach. The D probably played it's best game of the year. Couldn't have come at a better time. I hope they can keep that intensity against Georgia.

What's funny is, there is still a lot of criticism concerning the play of Jalen, including me, yet he was awarded offensive player of the game honors. 
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »

Great job hscoach. I would to see Tua in some passing situations and I wonder why they don't use him. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 05:06:32 PM »

QB:   Hurts didn’t have the best game, but he wasn’t horrible.  I do think he was responsible for the fumble which led to points.  The balls he threw were not always perfect, however there were at least 2 or 3 that were catchable.  He did underthrow the deep ball that should have been a touchdown.  I will say he was under pressure several times and kept from losing yards.  He even kept his eyes downfield when he threw the touchdown to Ridley on the scramble.  Ridley was open earlier on the routes, but I don’t remember if he was flushed early or what.

Thanks for the analysis.   

I thought JH missed the opportunity to pass to Ridley, then got flushed.  Fortunately Ridley continued across the back of the end zone and JH found him on the scramble.
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 05:06:51 PM »

the running backs are working hard to beat the dawgs 

Bo practicing his new end zone entrance  for a TD   

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 07:15:07 PM »

Thanks for the analysis coach!  Spot on as usual.

I think Tua is going to be great.  He certainly showed a lot of talent in our early games this year.  And Jalen is a true sophomore QB with two losses in two seasons.  And would have a NATTY under his belt with one more second of defense last year.  Pretty good if you ask me.  Now, if Daboll figures out a way to put Jalen AND Tua in the backfield against Goergia (I'm serious) that is worth talking about.  With all the criticism of Jalen's passing what would Kirby think about Tua coming in at QB?  If they are both in the backfield, what do you do?

Anyhow, as HSCOACH says, Defense and Special teams beat #1 last night.  I'll settle for that again next Monday.

ROLL TIDE!!! and Happy New Year!
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 07:43:40 PM »

Excellent, coach.  

About the Ridley TD.  I disagree with those who said he was "wide open" early.  Check the video (replay in 2nd half of video), and you'll see what Hurts saw.  Hurts was looking at Ridley early, but it wasn't right.  Then a rusher flushed Hurts.  Also, there was a DB moving toward Ridley (covering another Bama receiver), and another Clemson player in the line of view.  Stop the video as needed to see Hurts' position when Ridley broke open.  It doesn't look as cut and dry as the announcers said last night and others have said ever since.  Last night they said Hurts didn't see Ridley break open; he did (as you can see).  It worked out, thanks to Hurts' athletic ability.  An earlier throw may have been a turnover.  Better safe than sorry.  Hurts isn't perfect, and maybe he missed an early opportunity to throw the TD, but he's very cautious about turnovers.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tqBMTuFAfU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tqBMTuFAfU</a>
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:51:24 PM by Chechem » Logged

KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 08:00:50 PM »

No way to sugarcoat it, Hurts played a lousy game. His passing just gets worse the more he plays. But part of the blame, maybe all, goes to OC Daboll. I think he has designed his offense with Tom Brady in mind, and Hurts ain't Brady! What Hurts is is a great running QB. Secretariat couldn't pull a plow and the Budweiser Clydesdales can't win the Kentucky Derby, but if you put them in the right environment, they are pretty much unbeatable. I think Tua is a better fit in Daboll's offense and Hurts is suffering in the wrong offense. I hope that Bama can win the NC but it will be really tough without strong QB play. I always think Bama will win and I think the defense can pull it out, but we aren't going to win a UGA-OK style game. Sure hope Daboll moves on before next year!
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 08:06:06 PM »

N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 05:41:55 AM »

Great job once again Coach.  Thanks for you analytics of every Bama game the past few seasons.  Give yourself a nice big pay raise... Applause E-Cred

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 05:45:14 AM »

No way to sugarcoat it, Hurts played a lousy game. His passing just gets worse the more he plays. But part of the blame, maybe all, goes to OC Daboll. I think he has designed his offense with Tom Brady in mind, and Hurts ain't Brady! What Hurts is is a great running QB. Secretariat couldn't pull a plow and the Budweiser Clydesdales can't win the Kentucky Derby, but if you put them in the right environment, they are pretty much unbeatable. I think Tua is a better fit in Daboll's offense and Hurts is suffering in the wrong offense. I hope that Bama can win the NC but it will be really tough without strong QB play. I always think Bama will win and I think the defense can pull it out, but we aren't going to win a UGA-OK style game. Sure hope Daboll moves on before next year!

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 09:24:23 AM »

Jake Coker, Phillip Sims, AJ, JPW, McElroy, and even Andrew Zow would be an improvement at QB for this team.
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 10:42:24 AM »

Jake Coker, Phillip Sims, AJ, JPW, McElroy, and even Andrew Zow would be an improvement at QB for this team.

Maybe.  But their eligibility has run out.   

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 03:19:12 PM »

Passing chart for Clemson:
1.    3rd and 2:  slant to the inside rec.  Blitz off the edge.  The play must have been a RPO because the OL is blocking zone to the left.  One freed rusher hits Jalen, the blitzing rushers causes a change in passing angle.  The ball is delivered low, but catchable since it went thru the rec hands. Sim’s should have been a first down.  I count this as a drop.
2.   2nd and 12:  slant to the inside rec for 10 yards.  Ball on time on target.
3.   2nd and goal from the 14:  Blitz off the inside rec flushes Hurts immediately should have hit the hot slant, but he is looking to the other side of the formation.  He gains 7 to keep from having a negative play.  I thought there should have been a foul for late hit as he was clearly out of bounds when contact was made.
4.   3rd and goal on the 6:  time to pass, but no one open early.  He scrambles to the right when blocking breaks down.  May have been able who released after checking for blocking assignment.   Field goal made.
5.   2Nd and 10 on Clemson 34:  Throws to Smith for a 6-yard gain.  No pressure.
6.   3rd and 4 ball on Clemson 27 ½:  Good protection looks for rec and finally checks down to Bo who releases and picks up 15.   Clemson only rushed 4 so Bama had 5 blocking 4.
7.   2nd and 9 ball on the Clemson 12:  Ridley comes open but Hurts misses him, then both left guard and tackle lose their man which forces Hurts to scramble to the right.  He pulls the ball down and starts to run.  Ridley continues across the back of the end zone and Hurts pulls up and throws the TD pass. 
8.   1st and 10:  Perfect swing pass to Jacobs played well by Clemson for a 3-yard gain.
9.   2nd and 7:  Perfect swing pass to N. Harris.  Really a screen with the lead back being Jacobs gain of 22.
10.   1st and 10 ball on Bama’s 40:  Flea flicker and Hurts underthrows this ball. 
11.   2nd and 10:  a short wide rec screen with Harris being in the formation as a rec. Gain of 9.
12.   1st and 10 ball on the 50:  Flair to Jacobs which is completed for a very short gain.  Clemson blitzes off the inside rec which gets in the passing lane to force Hurts to double clutch the throw which enabled the defense to close on the play.
13.   3rd and 6 ball on the Clemson 45:  Clemson blitzes inside which caused the left tackle to block inside this allows a free rusher from the edge.  It looks like they are setting up the wheel route to Bo who is being held on his release.  Hurts is flushed early.  The inside rec on the left doesn’t help at all by running what we use to call a mouse route where he goes in and then goes back out.  Seeing Hurts flushed he should have continued his route across the field to get in the QB’s view.  He does get the ball off to Bo for about a 2-yard gain.  Prevented a negative play.
14.   1st and 10 ball on Clemson 36:  Quick screen to Ridley gain of 9.
15.   2nd and 1:  Fade to Foster which looks to be a perfect ball, however the Clemson defender has a PI call but the Bama OL is downfield which offsets the penalty.
16.   2nd and 9 ball on the Clemson 20:   Looks to be looking to Ridley on the slant on the right side.  He is jammed at the LOS and doesn’t get away.   He is actually being held as you can see is jersey separate from his neck area.  Hurts looks back to the left, by this time the pocket is collapsing.  Harris could have helped by working his check-down route to the right of the offense. Hurts is sacked and should have thrown the ball away. Loss of 5.
17.   3rd and 14 ball on Clemson 25:  Clemson elects to play coverage as the rush 2/4.  Two are staying in a spy techniques and the two outside rushers a coming wide up the field.  Right tackle goes for the cut instead of using the rushers momentum to take him up the field, like the left tackle does, and loses him.  Hurts is flushed and gains 9 to keep Bama in good field goal range.  Field goal is missed.
18.   1st and 10:  Play-action to the left and the inside rec didn’t get off the jam.  Hurts keeps for a very short gain.
19.   3rd and 7:  Fakes wide rec screen to one side and tries to come back and throw screen to Bo on the right.  I don’t know what the hell Cotton was doing looking back getting in the way.  He should be looking downfield finding someone to block instead of looking behind getting in Bo’s way.  Also, bad blocking by Bozeman if the pass had been completed.
20.   2nd and 7 ball on the Clemson 24:  Empty set and looks like Hurst is looking for the quick throw the tight-end which is pretty well covered.  He could have looked back to the left where he had Ridley open on the sideline, but decides to pull the ball down and run as the pocket is collapsing.  Four rushers on 5 Bana blockers.
21.   3rd and 6 on Clemson 23:  Hurts throws a perfectly time stop route to Ridley on the outside for a 5-yard gain.
22.   1st and 10 on Clemson 14:  Hurts throws a good ball to Ridley on the slant which gets down to the 1.  The left tackle whiffs on the block and there is a rusher barrowing down on him. 
23.   2nd and goal ball on the 1:  Play-action touchdown throw to Payne.
24.   2nd and 4 ball on the Clemson 47:  Swing pass to Bo that hits him in the hands.  The announce say the needs to throw the ball softer.  However, if he does this the defensive player running to the play has a kill shot.  The pass delivered by Hurts gives Bo a chance to make the catch and possible make a move on the defender.  I thought it should have been caught.
25.   3rd and 4 ball on the Clemson 47 Hurts drops back a delayed blitz that is not picked up by the left tackle who is helping the left guard flushes Hurts who scrambles for a first down.  Looks like he was looking for Ridley to come open, but the rush got there before he could.
26.   1st and 10 ball on the Clemson 40:  Play-action, looks again like he is looking for Ridley deep.  Then it looks as if he checks down to Foster.  The ball is low and Foster has to slow down and go down to get the ball.  It gets in on his shoulder pads and he drops it.  Not a great throw but a catchable ball in my opinion.
27.   2nd and 10 on the Clemson 40:   Looking for a catch and throw. Left tackle whiffs on the defender and allows him to come inside with a b-line to Hurts.  Double slant where the inside slant is taken away by the sitting defender and the inside rec is in the throwing lane to the outside rec.  Hurts takes the sack.
28.   3rd and 13 ball is on the Clemson 43:  Clemson blitzes and Bama turns the outside defender loose which has a b-line to Hurts.  No hot route adjustment by the inside rec.  Hurts doesn’t even have time to set up and scrambles to make a positive play.  He gains 5 yards.
29.   2nd and 6 ball on 35:  Swing pass to Harris who slips and loses 5 yards. 
30.   3rd and 11 ball on 30:  Wide rec screen to Smith for a very shot gain.
31.   3rd and 3 ball on the 48:  Hurts rolls to the left and throws to Ruggs.  The ball is low but Ruggs goes down and makes the catch.  Not a great throw but a safe place to throw the ball where the only person that gets it is his rec.
32.   2nd and 10 ball on Clemson 37:  Bama has 6 blocking 5.  Jacobs loses his man and the right tackle loses his man which causes Hurts to flush.  It looks like they are faking the wide rec screen and sending the inside rec deep.  However, Hurts has not time to let it develop.  He does try to make a play when the rec comes back to the ball but it is underthrown.  Saban is flattened on the sideline.  He has to keep his head on a swivel. 
33.   3rd and 10 ball on the Clemson 37:  Hurts rolls right and he is pressured immediately so he has to throw the ball away. This is where he lights up Daboll to run the ball.
If you look at most of the problems it comes when the OL doesn’t do t
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 180
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1