Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: LSU vs Bama  (Read 9004 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »

LSU vs Bama

First, congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the win.   This game was, like all LSU/Bama games big boy football.  It was a game where many will be spending a lot of time getting those ice baths.

OFFFENSE:   Bama’s offense put together 299 yards of total offense, well below what they have been averaging.   This yardage included 183 yards passing and 116 rushing.  As far as negative plays, Bama had 4 sacks and 3 tackles for losses.  Bama also had 6 three and outs.  For the positive side of the game, Bama had 8 pass plays for 10 plus yards and 5 running plays for 10 plus yards.  Bama got into the red zone 4 times and scored 3 touchdowns while the other was a kneel-down to end the game.  The other scored was a field goal from outside the red zone.  It wasn’t pretty, but it was a win.   There were some things that I will mention later that could have helped out and improved this offensive production.

QB:   I thought Hurts played a very good game.  His passing stat was 11 for 24 but I saw at least three balls that were dropped or should have been caught.  The knock I have is that Hurts must learn to throw the ball away instead of taking the sack.  He threw a deep ball that was complete and right on the money even though I thought it could have been interference.  Again, he threw good ball that could have been a touchdown, but the official missed the early contact on the play.   His running got Bama out of a couple of situations and made plays when they could have been huge losses.  I think Hurts proved that if he has time he can throw the ball.  He made a heck of a throw on the scramble for a first down which was between the defenders.

RB:  They ran the ball hard as the yards were tough to get.  They averaged a little over 3.5 yards an attempt.  I do think they missed some blocking assignment in the passing game.  Part of this was the problem with Hurts getting flushed.

Rec:  Six different receivers caught passes.  I was good to not only see the ball spread around but the big catches in crucial situations.   I am glad Foster made a couple of catches after his last few rough games.  Hopefully, it will help him regain a little confidence.  I know Smith had a drop possibly 2 and an I think Jeudy also had one.  These are some of the plays that could have improved the offensive stats.  Jeudy did make a heck of a catch on the deep ball where it looked like the DB knew he was beat and was grabbing for him early.

OL:  I think here LSU defense caused a stalemate with the OL a lot of the game.  There were times that they did an outstanding job but other times they were beat off the snap even though they know when the ball is being snapped.  There was one play where 3 offensive linemen were beat on a pass play which led to a sack.  Cotton was beat more than once and stayed on the combo block too long instead of coming off.  There was one play where Cotton had help from Harris and they both were beat.  What amazes me is that he, as well as others, make outstanding blocks other times.    I know you can get beat every once in a while, but this seems to happen at crucial times.

Defense:   Since Bama’s offense was credited with 6 3 and outs, the defense had to be on the field longer than normal.  Because of this I thought they played well except for a couple of plays.  They gave up a total of 306 yards of total offense.  This included 155 passing and 151 rushing.  Thirty-one yards of the passing stats came on a 31-yard pass that looked like a thrown-up prayer.  As far as the rushing game, 54-yards came on a run where the linebacker got pinned inside and the backside DL went too far inside.  Take those 2 plays out and that leaves LSU with 221 yards of total offense.  Bama is credited for 7 sacks, 5 tackles for losses, and an interception which lead to a touchdown.  LSU had only 2 three and outs but also the interception was on first down which means a one and out.  For plays that covered 10 plus yards, LSU had 5 pass plays and 2 running plays.   They got into the red zone twice and scored a touchdown and kicked a field goal.  The field goal could have been avoided if Averett had come up with the interception he had a chance to make.  A couple of the pass plays that covered 10 plus yard were a result of Bama allowing the QB to get outside the pocket.  With all this being said Bama was fortunate when a couple of receivers were open on deep balls but the QB didn’t make the play.

DL:   They played well.  They played the inside game and allowed the LB and DB’s to play the outside run game, jet-sweeps.  The only problem I saw was the loss of contain on pass plays.  It was hard to get pressure in the passing game with 4 because LSU did a lot of max protection.

LB:  They again played well.  Evans had numerous tackles while having to concentrate on the inside running game but still make tackles on the edge. 

DB:  They played well versus the running game and got beat a couple of times in the passing game.  The good think is that LSU didn’t complete the deep balls they had open.  They did complete a couple of balls where there was good coverage, there were just good throws and catches.  They had a huge responsibility with the jet sweep because you can also play-action off of that motion.

Special Teams:  This may have won the game for Bama.  Scott continually pinned LSU back and didn’t allow returns.  The kick-off coverage was solid, as was the extra point and field goal teams.

Penalties:  Here Bama was outstanding.  They had one holding call which cost Bama a huge passing play.  However, Hurts made a couple of big throws that allowed them to overcome and continue the touchdown drive.

Finally, the Bama/LSU game has become a tough rivalry the last few years.  You can throw the records out.  You know it is going to be a battle for the entire time.  Hopefully, Bama can clean up the OL and continue their march for another National Championship. 

Feel free to comment:

16 and Counting

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 12:48:57 PM »

Thanks hscoach great as always. I have to say this was a costly win. Do you think SD Hamilton can be replaced with enough talent to help win out? I know the long run on the wildcat play lsu had down to the 2 yd. line Keith Holcombe got put on his can and that is what opened the hole. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »

I think Wilson can fill in and do the job.  Also, I saw the other day where it may be possible for a couple of injured players coming back.  You are correct Hocolmbe was the one that got pinned back inside.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »

I think I read earlier that Mack Wilson may also be out for the year with a foot injury.  We are getting thin on experience at linebacker.  Sure hope Fitzpatrick is back at full speed next week.  I also heard that Hand was reinjured.  We have a bunch of young talent BUT it is young!

Great analysis, coach!  Thanks and ROLL TIDE!!!
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 02:15:58 PM »

Thanks Coach for your notes on this bit win/costly one.

S Dion is out for the rest of the season with a fractured kneecap.  Having surgery today (Sunday) I think.

Allie LaForce tweeted that M Wilson is out for the year with a foot injury but no official confirmation of that yet that I've seen.

K Holcombe will take over  for SDH.  Dylan Moses and others will have to fill in where Wilson was playing.

These guys may be good players but they don't have the game experience of the guys we have lost and there will be some drop off.

My biggest worry is the OL.  Various guys keep saying they have to clean up mistakes, etc.  But it never happens.  At this point in the season, I think you gotta admit the OL is what it is, and that ain't very good. Wanting to play better and having the ability to play better are not the same thing. Dissent on the team is never good but I would not be surprised if the RBs start giving the OL an earful.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 02:26:06 PM »

I didn't hear that about Wilson until today.  Hopefully, and it is sad I say it, but only Hamilton is the player we won't get back.  By this I mean, I don't think the other injures were as serious.    The OL baffles me.  They can look outstanding and then look like crap the next play.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »

Another great analysis Coach.

It seems to me that the OL does their best work when the pace is quick. Maybe they don't have time to think as much, which could be a plus. Are you seeing that too?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 03:27:04 PM »

Another great analysis Coach.

It seems to me that the OL does their best work when the pace is quick. Maybe they don't have time to think as much, which could be a plus. Are you seeing that too?

You may be correct.  It does seem they do better with a quicker pace.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 05:50:03 AM »

The Bama OL has some elaborate blocking schemes.  At times it seems too complex for some of them.  Gone are the days where you simply block the guy in front.

According to writers, LSU regularly rushed 7 against our 6 linemen.  And (as hscoach said) we had some missed assignments.  Whatever LSU did, it was successful at disrupting our offense.  We had some big plays that saved us.

Coach, the dropped passes were a problem, to be sure.  These are young receivers.  Any idea how we can coach them up better?

BTW, everyone drops passes occasionally.  Julio Jones dropped a TD when he was all alone in the endzone yesterday.  

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 07:49:01 AM »

Yea but Chechem Julio gets paid to drop passes. Our young guys don't. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 11:08:28 AM »

The Bama OL has some elaborate blocking schemes.  At times it seems too complex for some of them.  Gone are the days where you simply block the guy in front.

According to writers, LSU regularly rushed 7 against our 6 linemen.  And (as hscoach said) we had some missed assignments.  Whatever LSU did, it was successful at disrupting our offense.  We had some big plays that saved us.

Coach, the dropped passes were a problem, to be sure.  These are young receivers.  Any idea how we can coach them up better?

BTW, everyone drops passes occasionally.  Julio Jones dropped a TD when he was all alone in the endzone yesterday.  

When coaching receivers we did basic ball drills everyday.  Really focusing on catching the ball with the hand, not letting it get into your body, and keeping you eyes on the ball.  Also, I guess you could see that these people get targeted in pass hull.  That is why I thought it was important for Foster to get a catch in the game.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 12:52:34 PM »

Saban just ssaid that Mack Wilson could be back in 4-6 weeks and that Minkah will likely get some practice tomorrow!  Good news!
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »

I am sitting here watching the game again.  The first sack, LSU rushed 4 and got the sack.  Bama had 6 blockers and Cotton lost his man with help from the back.  Also the middle of the field was wide open and it would have been a good time for a route conversion.  Hurts could have avoided the sack by throwing the ball away.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 01:23:53 PM »

I have to say, on the second drive first play, I have no idea what the blocking scheme was.  Key goes in, unblocked by the TE, and he makes a tackle for loss.  It is like the TE was expecting the LT to block out.  Since Key went inside, if the TE blocks down there is a chance for a play.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 01:27:47 PM »

On the big completion on third down LSU is sending 4, but when they see the back stay in they send a backer late.  They have 6 to block 5.  Bo is there to block the LB but has to come off and pick up LG's man because he loses him.  Hurst does a good job stepping up in the pocket to make the throw.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 191
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0