Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: UT vs Bama  (Read 3727 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »

UT vs Bama

First, congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the win.   This game was a little misleading.  Even though Bama controlled the game from the beginning it seemed the offense wasn’t clicking early in the game.  What I mean here, they had a good first drive but then seemed to not finish a couple of plays which stalled a couple of drives.  However, two scoring drives, one right before the half seemed to turn the offense around.

OFFFENSE:   Bama quietly put together 604 yards of total offense.  This included 332 passing and 272 rushing.  What is interesting here is that Bama had 352 yards of total offense in the second half. For plays over 10 plus yards, they had 14 passing plays and 11 running plays.  Bama only had 1 three and out all day.  As far as negative plays, they had 2 sacks, 1 tackle for a loss, and an interception.  This interception took potential points off the board and allowed Tennessee to score.  Bama reached the red zone 6 times.  Of these six times they scored 4 touchdowns and kicked one field goal.  The other trip was the interception.  Bama did score two touchdowns from outside the red zone.  Another observation was, and I put this note down before the announcer said anything, where the inside routes with route combinations in the first half.  It seemed like all throws were to the outside, except for a couple, and they seemed to be a combination of short and deep.  I did notice, especially in the second half, there were more options in the middle of the field and Bama was successful in this area.   There were a couple of possessions where Bama wasted good field position and came away with no points.  Bama is also going to have to be ready for more teams bringing pressure from the short edge.

QB:   Hurts had a good game.  I thought he missed a couple of throws.  One was to Ridley on the outside which could have been picked but Ridley got a hand on it to deflect it.  I also thought he could have taken a deep shot to Ridley on the throw that Sims got hurt on.  The ball would have had to be placed in the proper spot, but Ridley had a step and inside leverage to the field which allowed him to be open.  I do think he takes the safest throws instead of throwing deeper at times. I do wonder why there weren’t any real run calls for Jalen.   Tua came in and played well.  I know he threw the pick, but over-all he made very good decisions and put the ball on the money.  He also showed he can run the ball well enough to be a factor.

RB:  They all played well and ran the ball well. No running back lost yards on running plays.  I do want to give UT some defensive credit, especially early in the game, because they hit the running backs often and hard.  As Bama utilized the 2 back system, especially with Jacob, he showed what a force he could be blocking.  I expect a play action off this play down the road where he fakes the block and continues for the pass.

Rec:  Eight different players caught the ball and 6 of them were wide receivers or tight ends.  Ridley again led the receiver with 8 catches.  He joined the 200-reception club with this game.   He a made great catch to keep the first touchdown drive alive.  I know most of them are young, but I thought they could have done a little better job blocking a couple of times.  They also show both quickness and speed.  It was also nice to see the offense utilize the tight ends.

OL:  I thought they played a lot better this game.  There were only two sacks and one tackle for a loss which was the result of a high snap.  They did a better job pass protecting.  Early on I didn’t think they were getting to the second level on the running plays, but they did especially as the game went on.  There were a couple of times when I thought they stayed on the combo block a little too long but again the running back rarely, if ever, had contact behind the line of scrimmage.  Hopefully, they will continue to improve here.

Defense:   They played well all day.  The defense gave up a total of 108 yards of total offense.  This includes 64 rushing yards and 44 passing yards.  Bama only gave up 52 yards in the second half.  As far as negative plays, Bama had 4 sacks, 6 tackles for a loss, and an interception.  They also are credited with forcing UT into 5 three and outs.  For plays covering 10 plus yards, Tennessee only had 1 pass and 2 runs.  They did get into the red zone once but threw an interception which kept them off the scoreboard.  This was after a fumble on a punt return that set them up close to the red zone.  It looked like UT wanted to utilize the short passing game early but wasn’t very effective.  One thing I really want to point out here is that Bama didn’t seem to be out of position and also lined up where they needed to be most of the time.

DL:  They played well.  Buggs is distinguishing himself as a player, that a defense must account for.  The DL has a whole played well.  The only problem was a couple of times they may have gotten the pass rush too far up the field and may have lost contain once or twice.

LB:  They had another good game.  Evans look like he doesn’t want to just hit someone, but to actually cause them physical pain.  I actually saw this a couple of other times from other players.  Wilson seems to be the same type of player.  Again, I notice Holcombe was not on the field defensively very much.

DB:  They weren’t tested very often.  This has a lot to do with the pass rush, but they were in position most of the time when the ball was thrown.  The longest reception was 12 yards and it was a slant that was early in the game.  I think Averett does a good job using his body and forcing receivers to the sideline.
Special Teams:  The big take away here was the fumble on the punt return which the defense bailed them out.  Kick coverage was good.  Marks did have a good return but was called back because of a block in the back.  This was a bad call.  However, it cost Bama about 42 yards.  Other than the fumble, special teams were good this game.

Penalties:  This may be the first game that the opponent had more penalties than Bama.  Two of the penalties gave UT first downs.  So, 2 of their 7 first downs were gifts.  One big penalty was a holding call which cost Bama 20 yards because of the 10-yard run that was negated.  The other big penalty was a roughing the passer after a loss on the play.  On the other side, Bama benefitted from the timing of penalties that were called on UT.

Finally, Bama showed improvement.  Maybe we are a little spoiled and expect them to score on every drive.  However, it did seem early on, the offense wasn’t clicking as well as we expected.  Also, I like the way Bama got Tua in early and allowed him to play with the first team as well as getting extended playing time for the back-ups.

Feel free to comment:

16 and Counting

XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 01:49:51 PM »

Applause E-Cred Applause E-Cred Applause E-Cred

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 03:47:01 PM »

Thanks Coach.

We might as well start the Jalen vs. Tua debate.  Who will be the starter next year?  Long time to go yet but in spring and fall camp next year a big decision will have to be made.

The rest of our games this year are going to be the toughest yet, Mercer excepted.  Jalen is going to have to kick his game up more than a notch.  HS Coach mentioned the throws that were 'off' but what may be worse is the throws he doesn't attempt either because he doesn't see the open receiver or is afraid to attemp it.

For a stretch there, Tua put on a passing clinic.  His quick release and laser like, on target throws were jaw dropping.  I think Tua has more upside than Jalen.  Lots more.

Let the debate begin.

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 03:55:26 PM »

Thanks Coach.

We might as well start the Jalen vs. Tua debate.  Who will be the starter next year?  Long time to go yet but in spring and fall camp next year a big decision will have to be made.

The rest of our games this year are going to be the toughest yet, Mercer excepted.  Jalen is going to have to kick his game up more than a notch.  HS Coach mentioned the throws that were 'off' but what may be worse is the throws he doesn't attempt either because he doesn't see the open receiver or is afraid to attemp it.

For a stretch there, Tua put on a passing clinic.  His quick release and laser like, on target throws were jaw dropping.  I think Tua has more upside than Jalen.  Lots more.

Let the debate begin.

You also have to take into consideration of when Tua comes in.  The Defense has usually been on the field for a while.  The pass rush has gotten slower.  I wonder how Jalen would have looked if the had been given more middle of the field throws.  The ones he had, he hit.  I don't know if there will be a controversy.  Thankfully that is not my decision to make.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »

As always hscoach well done. My compliments sir. If there is any debate at all I think you would see one win the job and the other transfer, and that would be so sad. The question is can we keep Tua until his SR. year by then he would be a monster QB the days when other teams use to keep them that long and have some good teams. Until next time. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »

Thanks again Coach. Spot on. There may be a QB controversy next year, but not this year, unless Jalen gets hurt for a game or so. I like the fact that we're blowing folks out enough to give Tua nearly equal playing time. I hope he's happy at Bama.

I thought the O came to life after the UT D started wearing down. There was no way their D could hang, with their O being shut down like it was. It was good to see our O line getting the push for the run, and pass protection was quite good.

The D is getting better every week.

But special teams? 
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 05:52:09 PM »

First, the O-line.  There's a good article posted today saying Daboll changed to more up-tempo offense after the 3rd drive.  That got things going.  Seemed so.

Second, this was a more physical Tennessee team than we've faced in years.  For at least the past 5-7 years Tennessee has been more finesse, and we were able to power over them.  This year they played more conservatively on offense, ran the ball more, and hit harder (and cleanly) on defense.  Hats off to them!  Maybe they'll win a few games before next October.

Third, Hurts is the best QB we've had in years.  I agree that Tua is a talent, but Hurts is clearly better right now.  I just hope Tua doesn't transfer away.  It's so common these days!

Thanks much, coach.  Excellent job again.  Have an e-cred to spend on a beer!

lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 09:54:46 PM »

Thanks, coach.  Great analysis as always!

Hurts is the QB the rest of this year and next barring injury.  Tua seems to be the kind of kid that, as long as he gets playing time, will be content to learn.  I expect that Hurts will come out after next year and it will be Tua's time to shine even more.

ROLL TIDE!!!
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 08:48:22 AM »

I don't see Tua transferring.  He came to Bama knowing Jalen was the starter, and the SEC Offensive Player of the Year.  It is actually a good situation for him, being a smart kid, he can learn the game without the added pressure of injury risk or being the starter.

While Tua is the more accurate passer, neither is tall enough to top the ranks of NFL draft prospects, so there is no hurry for them to declare for the draft.  But Russell Wilson and Drew Brees are both shorter, and someone should take a chance on these Bama play makers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 211
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0