Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: Bama vs A&M  (Read 5714 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »

A&M vs Bama

First, congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the win.   In my opinion the defense won this game by setting up the offense.  The inconsistency of the offense, especially early when they had field position hurt them.

OFFFENSE:   The offense had 355 yards of total offense, which breaks down into 232 rushing and 123 passing.  The bad part of this stat is, Bama had 195 rushing at the half so they only rushed for 37 yards in the second half.  They only had 110 yards of total offense in the second half.  For negative plays I have Bama for 3 sacks (I counted the intentional grounding as one), 6 tackles for losses, and a lost fumble. I also credit Bama with 5 three and outs one of which was a result of the lost fumble.  On the positive side, they had 6 passing plays for 10+ yards and 3 running plays for 10+ yards.  Bama got into the red zone 4 times and scored 2 touchdowns and a field goal.  The other was the kneel-down at the end of the game.  From outside the red zone they scored 1 touchdown and kicked a field goal.  They missed one field goal from outside the red zone.  I must give A&M’s defense some credit because they played hard and hit the OL and Bama in the mouth.  Bama needs to do a better job running the running back screen.  I really don’t remember one this year that has been effective.

QB: Hurts played okay.  He did miss a couple of passes but he also wasn’t helped by a couple of drops.  He threw two good deep balls.  One may have been a touchdown but the defender pulled just enough on the receiver’s jersey to hold him up a bit.  He also put the ball on the money on the pass interference call which again probably would have been a touchdown.  He threw a couple of balls in the ground and some were not on target but good enough for the receivers to make the catch.    I think he missed a couple of open receiver when he decided to tuck the ball and run. 

RB:   The running backs ran hard and were hit numerous times right about the LOS.  I will say this again, I think Harris looks faster and quicker this year than he did in the past few years.  Bo ran hard also and didn’t have the holes that Harris did.  They both did a good job at times picking up blitzes. 

Rec:  Ridley was the main target until he got hurt.  Jeudy made a couple of good catches.  Foster had a drop but he was open on a couple of routes.  Ruggs ran a good route to get open for the touchdown.  I do think they could have done a better job blocking.

OL:  I thought this was a weak point for the offense during the game.  I counted miss blocks by Cotton, Womack, and others.  I also saw them not come off combo blocks early enough to get to the next lever.  Bozeman was pushed back more than once.  I really hate to see OL looking back at the running play instead of looking for someone to block downfield.  They were beat by the simple end/tackle stunt and missed the blitz on a zone blitz.  The will must clean this up.  A&M confused Bama by bringing the delayed blitz and didn’t have to bring extra rushers many times to get pressure on the QB.

Defense:   I really thought they played well most of the night.  There were a couple of missed tackles that hurt when rushing the QB.  Bama gave up 308 yards of total offense, 237 passing and 71 rushing.    At halftime A&M had 146 total yard which means they gained 162 in the second half.  The fumble by Bama’s offense led to points when it gave A&M a short field.  I also understand 64 yards was on the last drive where Bama was playing prevent so A&M couldn’t score quickly.  Bama only had 2 three and outs for the night.  As far as negative plays, I have the defense credited for 4 sacks, 5 tackles for losses, 2 fumble recoveries, and an interception.   A&M got into the red zone 3 times and scored 2 touchdowns and had an interception.  They also kicked a field goal from outside the red zone.  A&M had 8 pass plays for 10+ yards and 2 running plays that were 10+ yards.  With regards to the 2 running plays one was a scramble and the other was a result of a missed tackle.  The play that hurt Bama early was the pass to the back who outflanked the defense while the DB’s were cut by their receiver.  Also on these pass plays the LB’s didn’t take the best angle to make a play. 

DL:  I thought they played well all night.  They were able to get pressure on the QB using 4 more than having to bring numbers all the time.  Again, I thought Buggs and Jennings played especially well.  Other also made plays during the night.

LB: They played pretty well especially in filling for the run game.  They were put into coverage usually in a chase mode. 

DB:  I thought they played ok.  There was at least one bust on coverage that was on a 4th and 9 and A&M went for 39 yards later scoring a touchdown.  I thought one of the PI calls on Wallace was wrong because that was not a catchable ball.  They did a pretty good job most of the night making the tackle after the catch.  I also thought the safeties, Jones and Harrison played well since they had to play coverage to run.  I notice Brown got a little banged up and Carter came in.  It could have been his man who made the big catch on 4th and 9.  You also have to understand how hard it is to cover for a long time when you have a scrambling QB.

Special Teams:  Special teams helped and hurt.  First the kickoff coverage team was good.  However, on the bad side you had a blocked punt, a shanked punt, as well as missed field goal.  I don’t know what Bama was trying to do on the last kickoff.  They gave them good field position with a short kick.  On the punting, I understand directional punting but I have always liked kicking to the opposite corner.  The problem with that is if you shank the punt it is now down the middle.  Another play which should have been huge for Bama was the forced fumble on the kickoff, if they had just recovered it they would have had the ball in the red zone.

Penalties:   Bama had penalties for 50 yards.  Three of them gave them first downs, two pass interference calls and a hands to the face.  Another big one was early when Bama had a 2nd and 1 they got the illegal substitution call and didn’t overcome the 2nd and 6.  I think this is when they missed the field goal.
Finally:  In my opinion, Bama’s OL took a step backwards.  There were too many missed block and busted assignments. 

Feel free to comment:

16 and Counting

Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 06:00:36 AM »

Thanks much for an excellent post, coach.   Applause E-Cred

The key to A&M's success all night seemed to be their defense beating our O-line.  Seldom did we have any push, and we were confounded by their blitzes.  We never got any clarification about Bozeman's injury or whatever, and why he missed practices last week.  Maybe that was one reason, but we seemed to have problems blocking A&M across the board.  I was baffled by it.

Don't want to whine about the refs.  But I have a question.  Twice the refs made no call on a play.  Once when we recovered the fumble in that pileup, and no call was made.  Again on the incomplete pass by the A&M QB who was hit during the pass.  Seems to be a trend.  No call, and let the replay sort it out.  How do you see a solution to this pattern of 'no call'?  It's frustrating.

Thanks again.   

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 06:13:37 AM »

Thanks Coach. Great job! Looks like there's lots to work on this week.

What's odd about the game is that if Foster had caught the pass where he was all alone, he would have scored to put the game away. He then dropped the next pass also, and the negative tone was set for the rest of the game. We just did not recover well from that.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 06:46:30 AM »

What's odd about the game is that if Foster had caught the pass where he was all alone, he would have scored to put the game away. He then dropped the next pass also, and the negative tone was set for the rest of the game. We just did not recover well from that.

Bet the A&M player who missed the assignment (that allowed Harris' 75-yard TD) said the same thing.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1831wh-4wc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1831wh-4wc</a>
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:48:37 AM by Chechem » Logged

N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 07:20:14 AM »

Great job coach.  I was impressed with how our front four were getting pressure on the A&M qb all night.  It also seemed like they were able to collapse the pocket forcing the qb to have to scramble but when he did we didn't have any run support.  How could that be corrected?

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 08:54:35 AM »

Well done again hscoach.
Chechem I have a feeling on the no call. This has become a thing of the future that my job is protected as long as I let somebody else do the correcting and not worry about it. I am afraid that TD's are going to get to where the Ref don't raise their hands they just wait till replay says it is a TD every time. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:29:02 AM »

hscoach, I was officiating a high school game on Saturday night and didn't get to watch a single play of the game. Did the O line just look like they were going through the motions or was A&M just taking it to them? Maybe a confusing scheme they were running?

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »

Thanks much for an excellent post, coach.   Applause E-Cred

The key to A&M's success all night seemed to be their defense beating our O-line.  Seldom did we have any push, and we were confounded by their blitzes.  We never got any clarification about Bozeman's injury or whatever, and why he missed practices last week.  Maybe that was one reason, but we seemed to have problems blocking A&M across the board.  I was baffled by it.

Don't want to whine about the refs.  But I have a question.  Twice the refs made no call on a play.  Once when we recovered the fumble in that pileup, and no call was made.  Again on the incomplete pass by the A&M QB who was hit during the pass.  Seems to be a trend.  No call, and let the replay sort it out.  How do you see a solution to this pattern of 'no call'?  It's frustrating.

Thanks again.   

Chechem, the only thing I can think about the refs is, if there is any question on a play, then they let that play go on and let the review take place and correct it.  All this is unless someone has a clear view of what happened.  My question was why wasn't there a review of the A&M touchdown?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 10:23:41 AM »

I don't think it would have counted anyway.  Wasn't that the play were there was an ineligible receiver downfield because the outside receiver covered up the tight end.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 10:29:19 AM »

hscoach, I was officiating a high school game on Saturday night and didn't get to watch a single play of the game. Did the O line just look like they were going through the motions or was A&M just taking it to them? Maybe a confusing scheme they were running?

It is hard to say they were just going thru the motions but there were many mistakes.  Here are a couple of examples, the right tackle has a guy over him and he drops in a zone blitz because one of the backers are coming.  Now you know as an OL if someone leave usually someone else is coming.  There was not another threat outside so the threat has to come from inside.  He was slow to react and was beat.  On the counter once, both OL turned up on the inside threat and didn't block the outside threat which allowed him to make the tackle.  There were times when the combo block didn't come off to the next level allowing that player to make the play.  I think A&M hit them in the mouth but also had a good/simply blitz package that Bama didn't handle well.  One other thing I can't stand seeing an OL looking back or towards a running play instead of looking for another different colored jersey to block. 
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 11:44:20 AM »

Thanks for another great analysis coach!
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »

Great insights as usual coach.  Thanks.

As for the OL...I read on another board that some on the OL players know they screwed up.  I thought:  Well that's nice but what can they do about it? 

I have begun to wonder if this OL bunch is capable of playing any better.  You would have thought after the 1st half they would have made changes and performed better in the 2nd half.  Didn't happen.  Not a good sign for the future.

N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »

As for the OL...I read on another board that some on the OL players know they screwed up.  I thought:  Well that's nice but what can they do about it? 

I have begun to wonder if this OL bunch is capable of playing any better.  You would have thought after the 1st half they would have made changes and performed better in the 2nd half.  Didn't happen.  Not a good sign for the future.

hscoach is the expert here but, I'll give my two cents worth for what it's worth...  Once they figured out that they had screwed up it was likely too late because aTm's defense already had the momentum.  Momentum is difficult to stop.  While I do feel our guys are better than their guys, I think the afore mentioned momentum put the aTm defense inside our OLinemen's heads...  But maybe not...  Regardless, I'm glad that our defense was able to keep the win for us...

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 07:42:14 PM »

hscoach is the expert here but, I'll give my two cents worth for what it's worth...  Once they figured out that they had screwed up it was likely too late because aTm's defense already had the momentum.  Momentum is difficult to stop.  While I do feel our guys are better than their guys, I think the afore mentioned momentum put the aTm defense inside our OLinemen's heads...  But maybe not...  Regardless, I'm glad that our defense was able to keep the win for us...

I agree with the momentum idea.  However, I think the OL feels if they can just get a piece of the DL then the backs are good enough to make yards. Every mistake they made is correctable and will have to be if they are to go far this year.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 152
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0