Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: CSU vs Bama  (Read 8386 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2017, 12:48:48 PM »

Fresno vs Bama

First, congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the win.  This game was a bit of ebbs and flows as both the offense and defense looked great at times.

OFFFENSE:   The offense put 487 yards of total offense together.  They had 248 passing and 239 rushing, you can’t get much more balanced than that. I only have them credited for 2 three and outs.   Probably one of the most impressive stats was that Bama only had 2 total negative plays which were two tackles for losses.  As far as plays for over 10 plus yards, Bama had 10 passes and 7 runs that covered that distance.  Most of their scores came from outside the red zone which totaled 3 touchdowns and 2 field goals.  They did miss one 52-yard field goal.  The two times they got inside the red zone they scored touchdowns.   I did notice they made an effort to work on the screen game which may have been dictated by the film they watched. 

QB: Hurts played pretty well.  He did miss on a couple of long balls.  One he missed was while he was on the run and Ridley had gotten behind the coverage.  Sims could have really helped out on this play if he had worked back to the sideline for a shorter throw.  On one ball to Ridley, he was knocked off route by the defender throwing off the timing a bit.  Not sure if this was going to be off target if Ridley had gotten a clean release. One of the best balls he threw was to Smith which was down the field on target and time.  I do think he left the pocket a little early a couple of time.  Tua was not on target as much.  The first throw was catchable but a little low.  The one rolling to the right is tough for a left hander.  He did make a good decision to throw the ball away when the defender jumped the wide rec bubble route.

RB:   They all ran well and averaged about 5 yards per carry together.  It is noticeable how much they are now more involved with the passing game.   Too me this makes sense because you are getting the ball to the playmakers in space.  Many of them are no more than wide running plays but it gets them out in space making the defense make plays in space. 

Rec:  Not counting backs, five different receivers caught balls.  Foster showed a burst after his catch and shows that he could be a great complement to Ridley.  There are playmakers here if they get the ball.  I do think they missed a couple of blocks.

OL:   In my opinion they did show some improvement however there were a couple of time that I think they missed or came off a couple of combo blocks.  There were times they got a huge push and opened holes for the backs.  What I was disappointed in was a 3rd and 1 and Bama couldn’t get the first down.  This needs to be an automatic even if you must check to and outside play vs and inside play when the numbers dictate it.

Defense:  Here the play was up and down.  Outstanding at times and then not very good at times. I do think they were not prepared for the QB to be a runner and he didn’t have to do it a lot, just at the right time.  Bama gave up 391 yards of total offense which included 247 yards passing and 144 rushing.  As far as negative plays Bama had no sacks. 7 tackles for losses and 2 interceptions.  Bama only had 2 three and outs and those were the first two drives of the game.  CSU got into the red zone 4 times scoring 3 touchdowns and a field goal.  Again, the opponent’s game plan was to throw the ball short and get what yardage they could but every once in a while, try a little deeper shot.  I don’t have the exact number of times, but Bama rarely rushed more than 5 and if they brought pressure it came from the outside.  I think they were just playing very basic defense not to show too much.  You would hope with the athletes Bama has they could get pressure with 4/5. 

DL:  They started out well but then as the game went on seem to get not as much push.  But then they would step up and make a pretty good play.  The lost the edge a few times and didn’t always keep the OL off the linebackers. 

LB: Like the DL the played well at times but then I saw linebacker not scrape to the hole and not get off blocks.  I think the OS backer lost the edge and backs in the passing game at times.  Especially on the throwback screen. 

DB:  They made a few plays and missed a few plays.  It is strange to me, and don’t think I am second guessing the coaches, but why not jam the receivers on the goal line to throw off the timing for fade routes.  Also, I have mentioned this before, but taller receivers you go for the arms not the ball.

Special Teams:  Special teams played well.  There was a missed tackle on the kickoff return and they did miss a 52-yard field goal.  I do think, and this is important in my opinion, the balls were struck well on the attempts.  The 52-yard attempt was wide, it had good height and distance.

Penalties:   Bama had 4 penalties.  A pass interference which gave CSU their first 1st down.  Then there were penalties that all ended up being on the touchdown drives.  The big ones were the hands to the face and roughing the passer.  I do question the roughing the passer.

Finally:  There was good and bad to take away from this game.  However, Bama need to improve and do it quickly with conference play starting.  I do think it will help getting a couple of player back, especially Evans and Jennings.   However, these young players are getting valuable experience that should help down the road.

Feel free to comment:

16 and Counting

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 01:29:21 PM »

Thanks Coach, for another great assessment.

The defense was gassed in the 4th quarter. That's going to happen when you're a little thin because of injuries. But what worries me, is this trend of getting beaten and worn down by the short pass. We don't seem to be showing any improvement in that area. What are your thoughts on that?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 01:36:09 PM »

The defense was gassed in the 4th quarter. That's going to happen when you're a little thin because of injuries. But what worries me, is this trend of getting beaten and worn down by the short pass. We don't seem to be showing any improvement in that area. What are your thoughts on that?

There are a couple of ways you do this, but it is a question of talent of the other team.  You can tighten up the man coverage but you better make the tackles on the completions.  You can play it looser and give them the underneath to come up and make tackles.   You have to teach the DL to get their hands up in the throwing lanes if they can't get there.  One thing is you have to stay in your area and not allow the throwback screens and those type plays to be big plays.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 01:38:07 PM »

I left of the DB's got caught in the corner blitz and allowed a big play.  A couple of questions here. Did the safety rotate too late or was someone supposed to drop into this area.  Also, why take that chance when you are up by so much with the time that was left on the clock where only big plays and quick scores can hurt you.
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »

There are a couple of ways you do this, but it is a question of talent of the other team.  You can tighten up the man coverage but you better make the tackles on the completions.  You can play it looser and give them the underneath to come up and make tackles.   You have to teach the DL to get their hands up in the throwing lanes if they can't get there.  One thing is you have to stay in your area and not allow the throwback screens and those type plays to be big plays.

Thanks Coach. Yeah, we are not getting the batted balls from hands being up that we were last year.
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »

This game exposed a lot of weaknesses, especially on D and the OL.  These weaknesses are going to cost us down the road if not fixed very soon.

Maybe it's not possible to overcome all the injuries we are having.

2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »

This game exposed a lot of weaknesses, especially on D and the OL.  These weaknesses are going to cost us down the road if not fixed very soon.

Maybe it's not possible to overcome all the injuries we are having.

Chances are, we have Evans and Jennings coming back this week. I'm really hoping that makes a difference.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 03:34:42 PM »

I can't understand I thought our players were always in shape. Eli sounded as if we were tired out toward the end that CSU could do pretty much what they wanted. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 04:20:50 PM »

I also thought that Hurts was in the game on the last drive because the snap was taken under center.  Tua had not been under center.  I know he could have worked on it on the sideline but why risk putting him in with that situation.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 06:30:11 PM »

I also thought that Hurts was in the game on the last drive because the snap was taken under center.  Tua had not been under center.  I know he could have worked on it on the sideline but why risk putting him in with that situation.

CNS said after the game that he put the first unit back in on the last drive to get a 1st down so the defense would not have to go back out. He was not pleased the 2nd unit could not make 1st downs and keep the defense off the field.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »

I think as CNS said CSU was still trying to win the ballgame. They had not broken yet. Our subs are not as good maybe as they have been in times past. It is scary when the 1st team goes back in after resting for so long and maybe getting stiffened up on the sidelines. We pay him the big bucks to know how to win us games and he does it. So I have to side with coach. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 09:02:13 AM »

Excellent hscoach.
I'd like to hear more about one on one play by our DBs; we need a better plan.

N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 09:07:09 AM »

I was impressed on one play in particular where Tony Brown actually wrapped up the ball carrier and made the tackle...  I'd give him an ecred if he were a member here...

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 09:29:55 AM »

Thanks, coach.  Good stuff!  Have you seen Vandy this year?  Their opposition has been spotty but I think K-State is for real.  It'll be an interesting game Saturday.

I was impressed with Tony Brown;s blocking on the INT return.  Looked like he got three knockdowns.

ROLL TIDE!!!
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 10:05:23 PM »

CSU pass plays:
1.   1st and 10:  Wide rec screen and the vs man coverage Wallace and Fitzpatrick mad the play for a 2-yard gain.  They do a good job avoiding the block and coming off the block.
2.   3rd and 8:  This is what we use to call uncovered.  QB stands up and throw to an inside receiver with loose coverage.  Jones comes up and forces him inside to the LB who make the play for about a 3-yard gain.  4th down.
3.   1st and 10:  Slant to the rec thrown about 4 to 5 yards pass the LOS and Wallace gets a PBU with Harrison also there to put a hit if the ball is complete.
4.   3rd and 10:  CSU runs a bit of a rub route but Bama switches making me think zone here or they have a rule for exchanges if the recs rub early of the LOS.  Wallace is in position and gets a PBU on an underthrown ball.  QB got hit on this play.
5.   1st and 10:  Little play-action go route against Averett and the call is PI as he had a hold of his jersey.  Averett seems to be in good position.
6.   3rd and 6:   CSU has a bunch formation to their right and they motion over causing Bama to mover their defenders.  The rub off the stand-up tight end and hit what becomes the inside rec for a short gain.   Fitzpatrick come up and make a tackle for a 4-yard gain.
7.   4th and 2:  Play action and the ball is overthrown to the rec on the outside.  Could have been completed with a good throw. It is max protection with a one rec route.  Fitzpatrick on loose coverage.
8.   2nd and 13:  Play-action with boot action and the QB hit the TE who is basically still on the LOS and the LB come up and makes the play for about a 6-yard gain. He blocked first and then released.
9.   3rd and 6:  A crossing route with man coverage.  Averett has to come over the LB to get to his man so he is trailing.  Ball is thrown about 3 to 4 yards over the LOS and CSU picks up 9 yards.
10.   1st and 10:  Play-action with a back-shoulder fade to the wide rec.  Wallace was there but maybe a little too far up the field. Hard to come-back and make the play on those throws. Gain of about 16.
11.   3rd and 8:  CSU tries to throw over the middle but it is high.  Fitzpatrick was there for the coverage so if the ball was on target it would have been hard to complete.
12.   2nd and 9:  Deep in their own territory Bama comes with a corner blitz and CSU hits the uncovered rec for a big gain.  Harrison misses a tackle and CSU ends up gaining 39 yards.  No one that I saw came over quick enough to take away the throw and no OLB dropped to take away the throwing lane.
13.   3rd and 5:  CSU runs motion to show the coverage.  Brown is running with the rec who runs a slant.  Ball is thrown about 4 yards past the LOS and they gain about 8 yards.  Ineligible rec downfield and the ball come back making it a 3rd and10.  TE makes great catch with Fitzpatrick covering.  Ball is thrown behind and the guy reaches back and makes the catch.  This is a gain of 25.  QB is hit right after he throws the ball.
14.   1st and 10:  CSU throws to the FB off of play-action.   on what we use to call an arrow route.  Coverage is by the OLB Allen who is just a step behind, because of the play-action.  They gain about 9.
15.   3rd and goal:  Fade to the 6’5” rec over Averett.   Ball was underthrown and the was a PI call.  No jam on the LOS to disrupt route.  Ball was actually underthrown and the rec reached behind him and made the catch.
16.   1st and 10:  A double screen look.  You have one outside but also inside if the outside isn’t there.  They throw to the inside and CSU gains about 13 yards.  Off of play-action to the back.
17.   1st and 10:  Throw to the short side of the field to try to hit the TE who is well covered by the LB, incomplete.  Ball thrown about 10 yards and he was hit.
18.   2nd and 10:  Runs a slant to the short side of the field against Wallace and the rec gets inside position.  Complete for a 14-yard gain and Wallace immediately makes the tackle.
19.   1st and 10:  Play looks to be a back-shoulder fade, but the ball is batted to cause and incomplete pass and the QB gets hit.  Brought Fitzpatrick off the edge.
20.   2nd and 9:  Rec tries to get inside leverage and Wallace has help over the top.  He undercuts the play and tips the ball and Harrison make the pick.
21.   1st and 10:  Play-action with a throw-back screen to the back who is wide open.  I would think the OLB would have that responsibility.  CSU gains 27 yards on this play.
22.   1st and 10:  Overthrow to the wide out and he was pretty well covered.
23.   2nd and 10:  CSU tries to go deep and Wallace gets beat a little but makes ups the distance and gets a PBU.
24.   3rd and 10:  Ball is overthrown.  It looks like the QB is hit low and may have caused the ball to go high.  Jones intercepts and gets a long return.  As lstephens pointed out Brown got about 3 blocks on the return.  It also gave Bama the ball on the 11 going in.
25.   1st and 10:  Another short route by CSU and Bama brings heat off the edge.  Fitzpatrick jumps up and bats the ball down.
26.   2nd and 10:  Another short route, thrown about 4 yards off the LOS and the ball is off the hands of the rec.  There were 3 Bama players around him.
27.   3rd and 10:  QB is under pressure and the ball is thrown 3 yards behind the LOS.  It is his final check-down where he doesn’t take a sack.  A couple of things happened here.  First, the rusher was underneath the QB and allowed him to side step and get the ball off.  If he is on his outside shoulder he probably can’t make the throw.  Wilson had inside leverage and is running so hard the player makes one move and gets up the field to get a first down.  Wallace is outside to turn the player back inside where the defenders are.  This play should have been stopped for little or no gain.
28.   3rd and 4:  CSU sets up another slant, but the ball is batted down and the QB is hit by Fitzpatrick on the blitz.
29.   1st and 10:  CSU runs a little swing pass and Brown comes in and make a tackle for a 3-yard loss. Looks like they may have been in zone coverage.
30.   2nd and 4:  Try to run a stop route and it is well covered by Diggs who jams the rec off the LOS.
31.   3rd and 4:  A quick slant route with Harrison in coverage, but the ball is batted down by Holcombe.  However, a hands to the face give CSU the first down.
32.   1st and 10:  The ball is on the 16-yard line and the inside rec runs a slant against Brown who has loose coverage and they gain 11 yards.
33.   3rd and goal:  CSU tries to send the back out against Holcombe and he get a PBU with good coverage. 
34.   2nd and 12:  CSU runs a go route and the ball is dropped the coverage is there but the play should have been made.
35.   3rd and 12:  They run a deep out and Bama is in a zone coverage.  It looks like Brown has the underneath coverage and doesn’t find the outside rec to get underneath the throw which allows for the completion.  Also, there is a roughing the passer call which ends up make this a 27-yard play.
36.   3rd and 6:  CSU clears out and releases the back on a ball thrown about 3 yards over the LOS and they gain a first down.
37.   1st and 10:  Was looking for another quick throw that was covered and the QB is rushed so he checks down to the back.  Ball is thrown behind the LOS and Diggs misses a tackle and they pick up 4 yards.
38.   2nd and 10:  The run the arrow with the back out again and gain 6.  Averett had to come up and make the tackle.
39.   3rd and 4:  CSU runs the inside screen to the wide rec and gets to the 3- yard line.
40.   1st and goal:  The throw the fade to the OS against Averett again and may have been a touch- down.  Got a jam but out battled for the ball.
41.   2nd and goal:  Fade thrown to the 6’5” rec for the touch-down against Diggs.  I don’t think Diggs ever saw the ball.  No real jam by the defender.
42.   2-point play:  They run a choice route by the inside rec on Hamilton who is there for the PBU.

CSU only had 2 three and outs and those were the first 2 possessions of the game.

I think these younger players are trying so hard to make a play they are losing their technique.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 142
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0