Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: Clemson vs Bama  (Read 5031 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2017, 08:39:56 PM »

Clemson vs Bama

First, congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the great year.  I know this didn’t end the way we all wanted, but you have to give some credit for Clemson and their game plan. 

OFFFENSE:   The offense put up 376 yards of total offense.  They had 83 in the first half and 193 in the second half.  The problem here is that of the 193 yards in the second half 122 came on 3 plays.  The bad thing here is Bama didn’t really sustain any drives in the second half.  When they did score they scored quickly which didn’t take much time off the clock as well a put the defense back on the field.  Bama had 221 yards rushing and 155 passing.  For negative plays Bama had no sacks and 7 tackles for losses.  They also had seven 3 and outs and 4 of those were in the second half.  As far as plays for 10 plus yards, Bama had Bama had 7 running plays and 3 passing plays.  One of those pass plays were the result of a throw by Stewart.  Every touchdown Bama scored came from outside the red zone. The only time they got in the red zone they had to settle for a field goal.

QB:  As good as Hurts is he didn’t stretch the field and Clemson didn’t honor the passing game.  I will say there were about 3 balls that should have been caught.  He is going to have to improve his throwing because Clemson just gave other teams a hell of an offensive and defensive game plan on how to beat Bama. 

RB:  Scarbrough had a great game up until his injury.  He not only ran well but did a good job picking up a couple of blitzes.  Harris and Jacobs both ran hard when they got the chance.

Rec:  They were basically a nonfactor except for a few plays.  These guys have to be involved in order for Bama to be successful.  Three drops didn’t help the team.  These are catches that Clemson made. 

OL:   Many times they were outmanned because of Clemson loading the box.  They were also hurt because Clemson did a great job of measuring the snap count.

Defense:  The defense played well since they had to 99 snaps.  Clemson only averaged 5.1 yards per play where Bama averaged 5.6.  They gave up 511 total yards which included 91 rushing and 420 passing.  Clemson came in with a great game plan and executed it.  They were content to throw the 5 yard passes which got rid of the ball quickly and would settle for a yard or two run.  Every once in a while, they would take a little deeper shot.  For negative plays Bama had 4 sacks, 6 tackles for losses and 2 fumble recoveries.  Clemson only had 3 three and outs.  For plays over 10 plus yards, Clemson had 3 runs and 13 pass plays, 9 of these came in the second half.  Every one of their touchdowns came from in the red zone.  Some of the bad parts about the defense was they were going for the kill shot and not wrapping up all the time.  Also, they had a chance for a huge sack and went for the ball strip which allowed Watson to escape and get rid of the ball without the loss of yardage.  They did lose the edge a couple of times.

DL:  They did a good job on the run game and made some plays in the passing game.  They also forced the 2 fumbles which Bama recovered.  Clemson only averaged 2.6 yards a rush. 

LB:  I thought Foster and Evans both played well.  When they got to the point of attack they came hard.

DB:  It is hard to judge this position.  They had a tough assignment with the short passing game.  I guess Bama was worried about them getting beat deep since they didn’t press all the time.  I also thought they were the victim of some no calls.   

Special Teams:  They had a punt partially block on a low snap and slow get off.  It also looked like the guy had a free run.  The kickoff coverage team also had a couple of letdowns, fortunately a penalty help take one back.  For some reason, no kickoffs got into the end zone.  Scott did have some nice punts pinning Clemson deep.
Penalties:   Bama had some costly penalties.  After the turnover, they start on the 16 and before the first play they have a false start.  Bama had 9 penalties for 82 yards and had one declined.  Again, Bama hurt themselves.   Clemson had three.  I am not blaming the loss on the officials, however, I saw where there were plays where penalties could have been called.  Clemson didn’t have a penalty after the 2nd quarter.  You can’t tell me a team that throws the ball 57 times, plus the times Watson scrambled, there were no holding calls.  The last 2 games Bama has been flagged 19 times to the opponents 5.   

Finally:  Bama didn’t do enough to win the game especially offensively.  They have got to be able to throw the ball at least 20 yards down field.  If Bama can’t stretch the field then Clemson gave the game plan for the start of next year.  They hurt themselves in the game with penalties but also drops and other mistakes.  Bama had a screen set up to Harris and Howard caught the ball.  Harris had open field and may have scored.  However, if he didn’t he would have at least gotten a first down and kept the drive alive and kept the clock running.  I also don’t know why Bama didn’t utilized the pop pass like they have in the past. 

Feel free to comment:

16 and Counting
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:43:37 PM »

Thanks hscoach so much for the final one of the year. I wish we could have won but now my question is; how do you teach a big time QB to throw the ball? I thought he would know how coming into this program. Please don't get mad at me men I am just wondering because as you can see in the stats our national stats that is, we can't throw the ball very well. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 08:46:43 PM »

Thanks hscoach so much for the final one of the year. I wish we could have won but now my question is; how do you teach a big time QB to throw the ball? I thought he would know how coming into this program. Please don't get mad at me men I am just wondering because as you can see in the stats our national stats that is, we can't throw the ball very well. RTR!

Unfortunately many of the QB's can get away with things in high school they can't in college.  He had got to work on his throwing mechanics, I think he has a long throwing motion, as well a footwork.  He should get better at reading defenses.  The big question is what if this new QB comes in and can throw better than Hurts?
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 05:14:01 AM »

I have thought a lot about this game, and even think about it while I am asleep (unfortunately).  I noticed the drops by our receivers as well.  With a Freshman QB who is struggling in the passing game, you have to make those catches when he does manage to put it on you.  I thought our receivers where just going through the motions a lot of the time.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 05:18:49 AM »

Thanks much, coach, for your reviews of games this year.  Great year, bad ending.

Your input helps make this forum worthy and attractive to the fans.  Appreciate your work!

ROLL TIDE!!

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 05:40:17 AM »

The thing that really irritates me about this game is all of this nonsense we keep hearing about #4 being the best player in college football.  I don't think he was even the best player on the field Monday night.  I don't think he was even the best player on his team.  I would have to say that distinction goes to #7 Williams IMO.  Deshaun is a great player, and I don't take that away from him.  But he benefits tremendously from one of the best performances I have ever seen by a receiving unit.

When you watch that last drive of theirs, the thing that really stands out is not the throws by #4, but the crazy circus catches his receivers make in tight coverage on almost every single play.  As soon as the ball is snapped, the race begins.  Our front 4 are coming like they were shot out of a cannon.  Their O-line is in reverse back peddling as fast as they can.  #4 only has time to field the snap and then immediately make a throw.  On the short throws he picks his receiver before the snap and hits him immediately.  On the deeper throws he basically just throws the ball to a spot.  He doesn't have time to read the defense or wait for the receiver to come open.  Then the rest is up to the receiver to look for the ball and adjust his route to wherever it is going.  They did it perfectly time after time.  #4 gets all the credit for "putting the ball where only his guy could get it".  Hogwash!  That is not at all what happened.  He put the ball where ever he had time to put it, then the receivers went and got it.  Now #4 gets credit for making those throws, but it really irritates me that the tremendous effort by his receivers is dismissed by all of the talking heads.

Football is a team sport.  #4 played well for them, but #7, #8, #9, #13, and #16 played at least as good, if not better.  And that is just the offense.  If the talking heads want to anoint #4 as the best player ever, fine, I don't listen to those knuckleheads any way.  A lot of them have never played a down even in pee wee.  And if the knuckleheads can't convince you, then just ask #4, he will tell you the same thing.  Whatever.

But the thing that really irritates me is when Dabo says that.  He needs to recognize the effort put forth by the other guys and not elevate #4 so high above the rest of them.  I know he does it because he loves his QB, I get that.  But I don't think he realizes how disrespectful and dismissive he is being to the other guys on his own team.  Take away #7, and they lose the game for sure.  Take away #13, and they lose the game for sure.  You can make the same case for the other guys I mentioned as well.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:43:42 AM »

Thanks hscoach.  I really appreciate your insight in these games each year.  I was getting pretty aggravated at Tony Brown for trying to knock the ball carrier down as opposed to wrapping him up and taking him down.  JUST MAKE THE TACKLE!  Angry

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:04:47 AM »

Thanks Coach. Great job again this year! You just summed up what everybody felt were the problems. This one will sting for a long time, but with all the talent we have coming back, I think we will be in the mix again next year.

Any chance of you guys making it to the LSU game in November?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »

Thanks Coach. Great job again this year! You just summed up what everybody felt were the problems. This one will sting for a long time, but with all the talent we have coming back, I think we will be in the mix again next year.

I don't know.  I started a new job as a game administrator at Texas Wesleyan University and they start football this year. Bryan had a foundation problem and a new air conditioner unit put in that kept us away the last game.  Hopefully we will make it.  At this point I am scheduled to work the day of the A day game, but I may try to get off and make it that day.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »

Thanks coach for all your insights this season.  I think Hurts will be better next fall.  I bet he got a bunch of rushing yards in high school with his legs and didn't have to learn a lot about the passing game.  Sarkisian will teach him!  We'll be in the hunt for #17 next year!  ROLL TIDE!!!
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »

I don't know.  I started a new job as a game administrator at Texas Wesleyan University and they start football this year. Bryan had a foundation problem and a new air conditioner unit put in that kept us away the last game.  Hopefully we will make it.  At this point I am scheduled to work the day of the A day game, but I may try to get off and make it that day.

Congrats on the position. Just let us know if you can make it to one or the other and we'll get together like last time. That was a blast!
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »

Congrats on the position. Just let us know if you can make it to one or the other and we'll get together like last time. That was a blast!

I will and it was a blast.  Bryan and I still talk about it when we get together.  We did get together and watched the game at Buffalo Wild wings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 204
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0