Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: Washington vs Bama  (Read 5336 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »

Washington vs Bama

First, congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the victory versus Washington.  This was a game where Bama had every opportunity in the world to put the game away early.  The starting field position in the first half was their own 46 and only scored 10 offensive points.  They kept killing themselves with penalties and offensive mistakes.

OFFFENSE:   The offense put up 326 yards of total offense.  However, if they hadn’t had so many penalties they probably would have had more as well as scored more points.  Bama only had 57 yards passing and 269 rushing.  For negative plays, Bama gave up 3 sacks and had 7 tackles for losses.  They also had one fumble.  The importance of the fumble was it lost about 4 yards and the next run ended up about 4 yards short for what would have been a first down.  The good thing is they didn’t lose the fumble.  For three and outs, I have them for 4 during the game.   One the positive side, Bama had 9 runs of 10 plus yards and only 3 passes for 10 plus yards.  There was another pass, however, it was negated by a horrible call by the officials.  Bama only got into the red zone twice.  On the first one they scored a touchdown, while on the second they lost yardage and ended up kicking a field goal outside the red zone.  The other offensive touchdown came from outside the red zone on the long run by Scarbrough.  The biggest enemy to Bama in this game offensively was themselves. 
QB:  Hurts didn’t play as bad as some might believe.  He made some big runs on scramble but he also missed a few throws.  Many of the problems in the passing game were caused by the pressure when the OL didn’t do their job.  He also wasn’t helped when he had to scramble by his receivers moving to help get in the passing lane.  Again, he fumbled but it was recovered by the right tackle.

RB:  Scarbrough had a great game and showed the talent he possesses.  Harris also ran hard, but didn’t get the opportunities Scarbrough did.  Jacobs wasn’t really utilized in the game.

Rec:  There were only 7 completions in the game and Howard had 4 of them.  I am going to put this note here.  It seemed to me the passing game was either deep or short, especially in the first half.  Bama also didn’t utilize the pop pass or the wide receiver screens in this game.

OL:   To me the interior of the offensive line, LG, C, and RG had problem a lot during the night.  They were blown up and pushed back more than once.  On the 4th down play the RG got beat and pushed back and stopped the play.  At times, they looked great but there were just too many mistakes here.  Bama had 10 penalties and most of them were on the offense. 

Defense:  The defense played well.  As people, have said this was a well-rounded offense.   They gave up 194 yards of total offense, which included 150 yards passing and 44 rushing.  What is even more impressive is Bama only gave up 49 yards in the second half.  Also, they 18 yards in the rushing stats the second half.  The defense had 6 sacks, 4 tackles for losses, caused 1 fumble which they recovered and 2 interceptions, one which was returned for a touchdown.  Six of their 13 possessions were 3 and outs.  The had 3 runs of 10 plus yards and 6 passes of 10 plus yards.  They got into the red zone once and scored a touchdown.  One bad thing is they did miss a few tackles. 

DL:  They pretty much controlled the LOS.  They also got enough pressure on the QB which help the DB’s with their coverage.   One mistake they made was rushing too far up the field and allowing the QB to scramble for a nice gain.  The Clemson QB would have gained a lot more yards.

LB:  They played well.  I saw them fit very well in the running game and they also had to be ready to put themselves in coverage with play action and the different formations and movement used by Washington.  I noticed Evans play the run very well a few times. 

DB:  Overall, they played well.  The only hic-cup was the double move where Humphrey got beat on the double move for the touchdown.  I did think a couple of times they were a little slow to line up or had to move someone before the snap.  Again, the front four aided them.  I don’t know if you noticed but Brown did a great job on his sack lowering his shoulder to take on, and get thru the block. 

Special Teams:  They were solid all night.  The punts kept Washington backed up most of the night.  Also, when they decided to bring the kickoff out, the Bama defenders were there to stop any return to really develop. 

Penalties:   Bama had way too many penalties.  Many of them hurt or help stop drives.  The sack/intentional grounding knocked Bama out of scoring positon.  A bad call on 87 being downfield illegally was a horrible call.  He never went downfield and was used to secure blocking.  The pass was complete to about the 20-yard line again in scoring position.  Most of the penalties were on the offense. 

Finally:  Bama did not play their best game.  They must drastically improve to beat Clemson.  I don’t know if OSU was that bad or Clemson was that good, but Bama will have to play better to win the game.  They can’t afford to waste outstanding field position and not put points on the board.

Feel free to comment:

16 and Counting

lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:41:56 PM »

Thanks, coach!  I thought we looked rusty.  On both sides of the ball but, particularly, on offense.  Don't know if the change of offensive coordinators has anything to do with it or just the long time between games.  Your thoughts?  Also, what did you think of Diggs and the Washington punter?  Didn't hurt anything much but, could he have downed a few of those for better field position?  In any case, we are one win away from #17.  ROLL TIDE!!!   Smiley Smiley
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 10:51:27 PM »

They did look rusty.  I don't know if they did some things especially on D that Bama wasn't expecting.   I thought Bama could have done a better job changing up the timing of the snap.  That punter did a good job and Diggs doesn't have as much experience.  Those bounces can be crazy.
Old Tider
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 1634

Old Tider

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 11:29:26 PM »

Always great details from you, Coach. At least Bama is not the type of team to follow a poor offensive effort with another poor offensive game. Things like that don't happen under Saban.
bamaphil
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2962

bamaphil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 03:02:44 AM »

Thanks, coach. Insightful analysis as always.  It seems to me that the offense has not been the same after the Texas A&M game. LSU had two weeks to gameplan and came up with a great plan that almost completely shut down Bama's offense.  They put up good numbers against Mississippi St., but were average against Auburn and Florida. If not for Bo's hard running and refusal to be tackled, the numbers against Washington would have been horrible.

I think teams have figured out that Hurts is not going to beat them with his arm and are selling out to stop the run, which has been effective in shutting down the offense. Clemson has a good defense and will be able to follow the blueprint created by LSU and followed by others.  I trust that Kiffin will come up with some ways to move the ball, but until Hurts proves that he can throw the ball downfield, I think the offense will continue to struggle. 
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 06:10:45 AM »

Thanks, coach, for the excellent and thorough analysis. 
E-cred and thank you.  Always look forward to your input. 

Couple of comments:

1. You correctly pointed out: "I don’t know if you noticed but Brown did a great job on his sack lowering his shoulder to take on, and get thru the block."

Tony Brown has the speed and talent to play NFL-caliber ball.  Just worry about his off-field and temper issues.  Noticed that he was among those players sent to the locker-room after the personal-foul calls.  Just hope he matures and keeps his nose clean.  We need his talent, but I get the feeling he's on the edge every game.

2.  You said: "A bad call on 87 being downfield illegally was a horrible call.  He never went downfield and was used to secure blocking.  The pass was complete to about the 20-yard line again in scoring position."

If you check again, I think the call was supposed to be on 88 (OJ).  He was inside 11 (Dieter), and 11 wasn't off the LOS enough (so 88 was covered up).  11 set up kind of halfway deep enough.  Both 88 and 11 went downfield; 11 caught the pass.  As you said, 87 never left the LOS, so the call was wrong.  They must have meant 88.

Thanks again.  Your analysis is a fresh look at the game for us.   

Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 06:38:22 AM »

Forgot to ask about this penalty, coach.  Looks like we should have been flagged for intentionally imitating their signal calls:

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 07:47:26 AM »

Thanks Coach! You are spot on once again.

The only thing that really concerned me in this game, and you brought it up too, is the play of the O line. They got manhanled time and time again, plus committed numerous penalties. Any idea about what was going on there?
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 07:55:24 AM »

Well great job hscoach. Thanks again as always. I have a feeling people are not taking Clemson as much as they should. Coach Dabo has really built something there and he is now again a couple of plays away from a NC. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 08:02:19 AM »

Forgot to ask about this penalty, coach.  Looks like we should have been flagged for intentionally imitating their signal calls:

They should have been flagged for delay of game according to the announcers.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 08:05:27 AM »

The only thing that really concerned me in this game, and you brought it up too, is the play of the O line. They got manhanled time and time again, plus committed numerous penalties. Any idea about what was going on there?

I really don't know.  I think they had the snap timed well, but also just came off the ball harder at times.  I need to watch again and see if they were slanting at times.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 08:19:36 AM »

I really don't know.  I think they had the snap timed well, but also just came off the ball harder at times.  I need to watch again and see if they were slanting at times.

When Peterson was interviewed before the game, he mentioned that they would be running slants and stunts at times. I had forgotten about that. May very well have had an impact.
Merk
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3915

Merk

ROLL TIDE!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 06:09:27 PM »

Thanks, coach. Another great analysis as always.

There's been a lot of speculation about Kiffin leaving and Sark taking over the OC duties as to how that will affect the continunity of the the upcoming game.  Even Greg McElroy thinks it could be a negative for Hurts.  Curious what your take is. You think we don't miss a beat and or do you forsee issues?

"Son, we're Alabama. We don't play second fiddlle to anyone". ~Friday Night Lights
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »

Thanks, coach. Another great analysis as always.

There's been a lot of speculation about Kiffin leaving and Sark taking over the OC duties as to how that will affect the continunity of the the upcoming game.  Even Greg McElroy thinks it could be a negative for Hurts.  Curious what your take is. You think we don't miss a beat and or do you forsee issues?

It is hard to say not knowing how much involvement he has really had.  As far as calling a game,  I don't think it will be a big problem since I would imagine he has been involved with the breaking down of tape an possibly even helping set the game plan.    What is strange to me is the last game, where were the wide rec screens as well as the pop passes that have been a stable of Bama's attack all year?  At this point it comes down to execution.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 06:44:36 PM »

I need to check the game again, but thinking about it sometimes I thought they were slanting part of their front to the side of the back and leaving a couple of back side defenders for the QB run as well as the cut back for the RB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 185
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0