Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: Florida vs Bama  (Read 8196 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2016, 01:33:16 PM »

Florida vs Bama:

First, congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the victory versus Florida.  They started out slow offensively, but the defense and special teams put them ahead in the game.   

OFFFENSE:   After a shaky start Bama put together 372 yards of total offense.  They had 133 passing yards and 234 rushing yards.  As far as negative plays, Bama gave up 2 sacks, 7 tackles for losses and had a fumble they didn’t lose.  They had only three 3 and outs and one of them came in the red zone after a turnover where they settled for a field goal.  For positive plays, Bama had 11 runs of 10+ yards and 4 pass plays for 10+ yards.  Bama got into the red zone 7 times where they scored 2 field goals and 5 touchdowns.   They also missed a field goal from right outside the red zone.  Some of the most impressive offensive stats were the two drives in the second half.  Bama had one drive that covered 98 yards and another that covered 91 yards.  On the 98-yard drive, they had to overcome a 10-yard sack which mean they really covered 108 yards on that drive. This was a hell of an answer after a great goal line stand.   They also two offensive possessions when the defense and special teams scored.  The offense did leave 4 points on the field with the missed field goal and the blocked extra point.

QB:  Hurts had his ups and downs in this game.  He made some good decisions and made some poor decisions.  Again, it seems that he locked on his number one rec and didn’t seem to try to look off the defenders.  For instance, on the pass broken up in the end zone, he looked at Dieter the whole way.  Howard was wide open on the backside.   A couple of other things is he didn’t always set his feet and didn’t throw the ball away when he had a chance and took the sack.  Even with all this he did make plays when he needed too.  On the 3rd and 19, Stewart made a good catch to keep the drive alive.  Honestly, if the ball is throw out in front Stewart may have scored.   On the touchdown throw to Dieter, Hurts did a good job keeping the play alive and finding him. 

RB:  They combined for 234 rushing.  Every running back averaged over 5 yards per carry.  They made very good cuts and ran hard.  There were very few times when they were hit that they went backwards.  Scarbrough looks better and better each game.  Jacobs is a person who looks like he can break it at any time.  Harris may not have the breakaway speed, but his vision to make cuts is outstanding.

Rec:  The 4 main receivers made catches.  Stewart, as I said, made a big catch on a ball behind him on a 3rd and 19.  We called this the bad ball drill in coaching and he did it to perfection.  Howard did have one drop and again this ball was behind him.  I hate the TV angle because I can’t see what the receivers are doing on pass routes.  This limits my analysis.

OL:   I thought they played well.  There were times they blew the defenders off the LOS.  The OL sustained their blocks and did a good job getting to the second level.    I thought the TE blocked well when they were lined up in a tight alignment.  On the touchdowns, especially to the left side of the OL Robinson and Hentges did a great job on the double team.  There was a bad snap that did cause a 10-yard loss. 

Defense:  The defense played very well.  They gave up no yards rushing but 261 yards passing.  Most of these yards were accumulated on two drives.  As far as negative plays, I have 5 sacks, 7 tackles for losses and 3 interceptions on of which was returned for a touchdown.  For three and outs these were a little different.  I have them for 7 three and outs or less.  The reason I say this is because 1 was a 1 and out because of the interception.  Also, UF got a first down but then threw an interception which led to a three and out.  Also because of a failed punt fake there was a 4 and out.  For plays that covered 10+ yards, there were no runs and they did have 10 passes.    Florida tried to put Bama in bad situations by using the back out in the flat area and tried to work that area along with getting the ball out quickly.  They did have some success there.  Probably the best thing about the defense is they put Bama ahead before the offense had a chance.  I give them credit, along with the special teams for the first 16 points of the game. 

DL:  They pretty much controlled the LOS.  I think the longest run they had all day was 7 yards.  They didn’t get their sacks until late, but pressured the QB enough to force throwaways as well as the passes that were intercepted. 

LB:  They played well, especially Foster.  They again had to play both the pass and the rush.  When writing, this I haven’t seen the diagnosis on Hamilton, but I expect bad new because of the reaction of the trainer coming off the field.  Evans came in and busted a coverage, but made a huge play in the goal line situation.

DB:  They played pretty well overall.  They did give up a couple of plays, but also made some big plays.  Two of the big plays were on a throwback screen and another where the LB busted the coverage.  Also on one of the big plays, UF caught them in transition from disguising a coverage. 

Special Teams:   This was a huge game for special teams. There were good and bad plays on this side.  Fortunately, the good outweighed the bad.  The blocked punt resulted in a touchdown.  The punt returns by Diggs gave Bama great field position.   As far as the bad you have a blocked PAT that resulted into 2 points.  There was a horrible job allowing the FL player to come right up the middle.  The missed field goal was also a negative here.    Those are points that could be needed in a close game.

Penalties:   Bama had two penalties for pass interference and a block in the back on a kick return.

Finally:  Bama did not play their best game and still put 54 points on the scoreboard.  They came out the second half and ran the ball.  Bama only threw the ball 4 times in the second half.  The good thing is there are still things where they can improve.   
Just wanted to say a word about Verne here.  He may not always get things right, but he has been a proponent of the SEC for years.  He has done a job, which is more difficult than people think, for many years.  Good luck in your retirement.

Feel free to comment:

16 and Counting

lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 03:45:12 PM »

Great analysis, Coach.  Thanks!  I'm really grateful for a couple of weeks for some guys to heal up.  We are getting awfully thin at DB.  ROLL TIDE!!! BEAT Washington!
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 05:41:14 AM »

Great job in analysis, coach.  

The DBs did well despite Humphrey being out with a hamstring and losing Hamilton during the game.  It looked like Appleby targeted Humphrey's replacement (Wallace).  Coach, how did Wallace play, in your opinion?

Agreed, Stewart's catch was a key play.  Hopefully Jalen Hurts will continue to improve during the playoffs.

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 07:28:44 AM »

Another great analysis Coach. I agree, we've yet to play our best game, but hanging 54 on Florida was sweet.

As far as Wallace is concerned, I thought he did a good job. I don't recall him giving up any big plays. But let's hope Marlin is 100% by the Peach Bowl.

Looked like another game where Kiffin was setting things up in the first half to pound the rock in the second half. Apparently, it worked once again.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 08:12:43 AM »

Like usual hscoach great job. I love the nuts and washers of how you get to the bottom of things. TY sir. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 09:53:06 AM »

Another great analysis Coach. I agree, we've yet to play our best game, but hanging 54 on Florida was sweet.

As far as Wallace is concerned, I thought he did a good job. I don't recall him giving up any big plays. But let's hope Marlin is 100% by the Peach Bowl.

Looked like another game where Kiffin was setting things up in the first half to pound the rock in the second half. Apparently, it worked once again.

Yes he did well as did a couple of others.   I didn't quiet get their number.   I think #5 and #14? got in on a couple of plays. 
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 06:11:32 AM »

Coach, I have noticed in a few games recently, even in the SECCG that occasionally Hurts will roll out to the side (not sure if this is a called run or maybe trying to pass) and the defense pursues him.  He normally takes a sac instead of throwing the ball out of bounds.  Why is he doing this?

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:00:19 AM »

Coach, I have noticed in a few games recently, even in the SECCG that occasionally Hurts will roll out to the side (not sure if this is a called run or maybe trying to pass) and the defense pursues him.  He normally takes a sac instead of throwing the ball out of bounds.  Why is he doing this?

I really think he is so use to being able to make plays with his feet that he puts himself in trouble.  He has done it at times this year and Will be something he has to work on.  The strange thing is he has thrown the ball away on other occasions.
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 11:28:30 AM »

Coach, I have noticed in a few games recently, even in the SECCG that occasionally Hurts will roll out to the side (not sure if this is a called run or maybe trying to pass) and the defense pursues him.  He normally takes a sac instead of throwing the ball out of bounds.  Why is he doing this?

I really think he is so use to being able to make plays with his feet that he puts himself in trouble.  He has done it at times this year and Will be something he has to work on.  The strange thing is he has thrown the ball away on other occasions.

If I may add, a QB rolling out wants to keep the option open for a completed pass as long as possible.  Once he nears the line, the angle is gone for throwing beyond the LOS.  He then must run OB.

So, it's likely that the problem is timing, which changes with each pattern and who the receivers are running it.  For example, Jalen knows that OJ can catch those 10-yard passes at the OB line (long arms) better than others, but on a crossing route OJ must clear the LBs and get to the opposite side of the field where Jalen is rolling.  It's timing.

Other receivers may be spinning and running to get open.  It's just a matter of where the receivers are and if they're likely to break open at the last second. 

ALSO: Losing 5 yards on 3rd down isn't usually a big deal.  Losing 5 on 1st down is.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:30:46 AM by Chechem » Logged

N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »

Coach, I have noticed in a few games recently, even in the SECCG that occasionally Hurts will roll out to the side (not sure if this is a called run or maybe trying to pass) and the defense pursues him.  He normally takes a sac instead of throwing the ball out of bounds.  Why is he doing this?

I really think he is so use to being able to make plays with his feet that he puts himself in trouble.  He has done it at times this year and Will be something he has to work on.  The strange thing is he has thrown the ball away on other occasions.

If I may add, a QB rolling out wants to keep the option open for a completed pass as long as possible.  Once he nears the line, the angle is gone for throwing beyond the LOS.  He then must run OB.

So, it's likely that the problem is timing, which changes with each pattern and who the receivers are running it.  For example, Jalen knows that OJ can catch those 10-yard passes at the OB line (long arms) better than others, but on a crossing route OJ must clear the LBs and get to the opposite side of the field where Jalen is rolling.  It's timing.

Other receivers may be spinning and running to get open.  It's just a matter of where the receivers are and if they're likely to break open at the last second. 

ALSO: Losing 5 yards on 3rd down isn't usually a big deal.  Losing 5 on 1st down is.
I don't agree with that.  As long as the ball goes beyond the LOS it doesn't matter where Hurts is after he leaves the tackle box.  He can be one foot from the OB line as long as the ball sails beyond the LOS.  I was thinking that maybe there might be an issue of linemen down field but I don't think that actually matters when he is throwing the ball away obviously...

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 09:18:26 AM »

I thought T. Diggs did a good job returning punts. He showed a spark that we have not seen on punt returns since E Jackson got hurt. I hope this game gives him confidence heading into the playoffs.

We did not play a perfect game but it is hard to find a lot to complain about in a 38 point win.
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 09:34:57 AM »

I don't agree with that.  As long as the ball goes beyond the LOS it doesn't matter where Hurts is after he leaves the tackle box.  He can be one foot from the OB line as long as the ball sails beyond the LOS.  I was thinking that maybe there might be an issue of linemen down field but I don't think that actually matters when he is throwing the ball away obviously...

One thing I meant was that the ANGLE is lost as he approaches the sideline.  He can't throw it away once he's within a couple of yards of the sidelines without it either not reaching the LOS or possibly being intercepted.

pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 09:39:59 AM »

One thing I meant was that the ANGLE is lost as he approaches the sideline.  He can't throw it away once he's within a couple of yards of the sidelines without it either not reaching the LOS or possibly being intercepted.

The angle should not be an issue. It does not matter how far out of bounds the ball is as long as it reaches the line of scrimmage.
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 09:47:08 AM »

The angle should not be an issue. It does not matter how far out of bounds the ball is as long as it reaches the line of scrimmage.
This ^  He can throw the ball into the upper deck if he wants to as long as the ball is beyond the LOS when it is downed. 

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 01:49:04 PM »

...This ^  He can throw the ball into the upper deck if he wants to as long as the ball is beyond the LOS when it is downed. 

I KNOW.
I took 6 semesters of math in college (6 LOOOONG SEMESTERS).  I may not remember much of it, but from what I learned I believe it's very difficult to throw the ball into the upper deck (to your right) when the LOS marker is 10 yards ahead (straight ahead) unless you can throw a curve ball with a sharp bend.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 166
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0