Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: Chattanooga vs Bama  (Read 5154 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2016, 09:46:26 PM »

Chattanooga vs Bama

First, congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the victory versus Chattanooga.  This is a game that should have been no contest, especially with some of the field good position Bama had.   A few things I noticed, the crowd wasn’t into the game.  Also, the players didn’t seem to be playing with the usual emotion.  I also think they gave other teams with similar talent a bit of a blueprint on what hurt Bama.  Also, tonight, Chattanooga was just as physical as Bama was.

OFFFENSE:  The offense was sporadic tonight. Offensively they didn’t put any significant drives together.   They seem to be playing at half speed.  I don’t understand why you run Hurts so much in this game.  I know some were scrambles, but that was because of the route combinations as well as poor blocking.  The offense put together 332 yards of total offense.  They had 136 passing and 196 rushing.  This is one of the lowest totals of the year.  I have Bama for 3 three and outs.  For negative plays, I have Bama with 4 sacks, 5 tackles for losses, and 2 fumbles, one that was lost.  As far as plays of over 10+ yards, Bama had 6 runs and 2 pass plays that covered that distance.  Bama only got into the red zone 3 times.  Two of those were the results of fumbles that were recovered.  When getting in the red zone they scored 2 touchdowns and kicked one field goal.  Two of the touchdowns came from outside the red zone. 

QB:  I really don’t know how to rate this performance.  It looked as though the passing game was either long or short.  I don’t know if there were any real intermediate routes or if he wasn’t reading seeing them.  He did make a nice throw on the long touchdown throw.  But he also missed an open receiver for a touchdown and the contact may have altered the throw.  I do think he didn’t read the coverage very well as the ball was thrown and the receiver hit immediately by a sitting corner.  He didn’t have a turnover, but did have another fumble. 

RB:  Harris ran hard as did Gore. Most of the yards gained by Harris was in the second half.  There just wasn’t a lot of room early in the game.

Rec:  Again, this was hard to judge.  There was one drop that wasn’t a great throw.  Only 4 players got catches tonight.

OL:   This was very disappointing.  They were beat at the point of attack in my opinion.  They didn’t sustain their blocks especially in the first half.  Think about this.  Bama only had 14 points in the first half and 7 of those were because of a fumble that the special teams recovered on a punt in the red zone.  The positive was they had no penalties.

Defense:  The defense missed tackles tonight.  They were blocked on the edge especially in the first half.  The numbers looked good, but it looked like only a couple were playing with any emotion.  The defense only gave up 184 total yards, 70 rushing and 114 passing.  As far as negative plays, they had 1 sack, 6 tackles for losses and caused a fumble which they recovered.  The other fumble came from special teams.  Bama had 5 three and outs and 1 two and out because they recovered the fumble.  Chattanooga never got into the red zone and the only score came from outside the red zone.  Chattanooga put together a good first drive where the stop was aided by a penalty. 

DL:  The DL played ok, nothing spectacular that I noticed.  They missed some tackles but made some plays again in the second half.
backfield and they guy was all alone.  They weren’t tested deep very often.   I thought Harrison played ok, but again no one stood out.

Special Teams:   They were solid most of the night.  I think Griffith must have been hurt since he wasn’t putting kickoffs in the end zone.  Overall the coverages were good. 

Penalties:   They had one penalty and it was a block in the back which negated a decent return. 

Finally:  There was a lack of focus and effort.  I am sure Saban is not going to be happy.  They probably gave AU a little hope.  If Bama can’t block Chattanooga’s DL, how do they expect to block AU’s.  This was a great opportunity to get players rested, but it didn’t happen.  As a matter of fact Bama may be in worse shape for the AU game than they need to be.

Feel free to comment:

16 and Counting
LB:  They made plays but no one stood out. 
DB:  There were a couple of busted coverages, especially when Chattanooga ran the rail out of the

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 07:10:13 AM »

Thanks Coach. You correctly summed it up. The first thing I noticed after ESPN was gracious enough to let us watch our game, was that there was virtually no crowd presence. The team was as flat as I've seen since the ULL game in 2007.

The only good news coming out of this game is that we won, but won ugly, and the injuries are not serious. Let's hope they were just looking ahead to Auburn.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 08:01:35 AM »

I did not get to watch or hear the game but I am fooled there was not a big crowd. CNS will be all over this one, for next week will be the dog of the season. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »

Thanks coach!

Thank goodness this lackluster performance came along last night instead of next week.  That said, UTC came in 8-2 and was obviously a better team than our guys gave them credit for.  I'm sure CNS will turn this into a lesson learned.

ROLL TIDE!!!  Beat Auburn!
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 06:43:13 AM »

A let down was to be expected. Ten hard weeks. The coaching staff gave the players extra time off to rest up. Looking ahead to the Auburn & UF games. Chattanooga being a little better than anyone expected. All these things contributed to what everyone considers a poor performance. We won 31-0, still unbeaten and ranked a solid #1.

It is Auburn week. Get over it!

carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 08:35:54 AM »

Thanks hscoach. Do you think this poor performance could be a blessing in disguise? The players see that if they don't put work in and take things seriously, that bad things can happen?

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:32:17 PM »

Thanks hscoach. Do you think this poor performance could be a blessing in disguise? The players see that if they don't put work in and take things seriously, that bad things can happen?

I think it very well could be.  Especially a challenge to the O line.  I can here them now, if you can block those Chattanooga guys how do you expect to block those guys from AU?
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 05:55:35 AM »

Thanks, coach.  I gave you an e-cred; didn't give anyone on the team one this week!   

The crowd was flat and quiet.  So quiet that I could occasionally hear NALT telling his daughter "NO!"; not sure of the conversation!!

Hope the injuries aren't major, hope the team takes this week seriously, and hope they beat the hell out of the Aubs.

Thanks for the assessment.   

N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 06:19:12 AM »

Thanks, coach.  I gave you an e-cred; didn't give anyone on the team one this week!   

The crowd was flat and quiet.  So quiet that I could occasionally hear NALT telling his daughter "NO!"; not sure of the conversation!!

Hope the injuries aren't major, hope the team takes this week seriously, and hope they beat the hell out of the Aubs.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Daughter:  Dad, I think that guy wearing #45 is cute don...
Me:  NO!
Daughter:  But Dad, you didn't let me fin...
Me: NO!
Daughter:  Dad, I jus...

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 07:46:24 AM »

ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 08:07:33 AM »

Who was #45? Was it an auburn player? RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 08:11:38 AM »

UTC player...  Angry

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 08:13:20 AM »

UTC player...  Angry

Laughing don't worry he is all the way back in the moun tains now never to be seen again.  , RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 147
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0