Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the drop in NFL viewership?  (Read 2915 times)
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2016, 10:40:42 AM »

There are plenty of theories: cord-cutting and the increased availability of clips and highlights on social media platforms; over-saturation of football (three nights a week); lower quality of games (the average margin of victory in Monday Night games is twice what it was last year); more penalties for player celebrations (this is NFL alum Shawne Merriman’s vote for the biggest contributor); fewer veteran star quarterbacks (Peyton Manning is retired, Tom Brady missed the first four games, Tony Romo is injured, Ben Roethlisberger is injured); outrage over the national anthem protests started by Colin Kaepernick (“We don’t think that’s a factor,” Goodell has said).

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Goodell really is an idiot!
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »

As someone who worked in television for 30 years, I think the single biggest reason is overexposure.  There is only so much appetite for watching NFL games.  They've added Thurs night and now Sunday a.m. games from London.  The audience has been spread over more choices hence viewing is down for each choice.

All the other things mentioned are likely contributing factors, especially lopsided games.  What's the point in watching a game where the outcome is already known, especially if you have to go to work the next day.

The only lopsided game I'd watch to the end would be a Bama game!!!
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 04:26:44 PM »

As someone who worked in television for 30 years, I think the single biggest reason is overexposure.  There is only so much appetite for watching NFL games.  They've added Thurs night and now Sunday a.m. games from London.  The audience has been spread over more choices hence viewing is down for each choice.

All the other things mentioned are likely contributing factors, especially lopsided games.  What's the point in watching a game where the outcome is already known, especially if you have to go to work the next day.

Good insights.
Let me add that the OVER-ADVERTISING is an issue.  Loooong commercials and not much football.  The NFL shortened their game, but the commercials are still long.

Kickoffs into the endzone (every kick, every game) are followed by a commercial.  WHY??  It's stupid enough to cover the kickoff when it's predictable.  Arghhh!

2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 05:41:38 PM »

For anyone to think that the impact is light, concerning the slugs kneeling during the National Anthem, they are only fooling themselves. There has been a real groundswell among viewers to not watch the games. I am one of them. Not discounting the other factors, but there is more, and I think much more, than what Goodell will admit to.
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 07:33:51 PM »

For anyone to think that the impact is light, concerning the slugs kneeling during the National Anthem, they are only fooling themselves. There has been a real groundswell among viewers to not watch the games. I am one of them. Not discounting the other factors, but there is more, and I think much more, than what Goodell will admit to.

Yes, idiotic isn't it?  The NFL can mandate that players tuck in their jerseys, not wear advertising or anything else not sanctioned by the NFL, and require TV interviews -- BUT CAN'T REQUIRE THE DOPES TO STAND DURING A PROGRAM PAID FOR BY THEIR EMPLOYER.

2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 07:36:44 PM »

Yes, idiotic isn't it?  The NFL can mandate that players tuck in their jerseys, not wear advertising or anything else not sanctioned by the NFL, and require TV interviews -- BUT CAN'T REQUIRE THE DOPES TO STAND DURING A PROGRAM PAID FOR BY THEIR EMPLOYER.

And just found out that Klapperdick didn't even vote. Stephen A Smith just torched his azz on ESPN.
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 07:45:24 PM »

And just found out that Klapperdick didn't even vote. Stephen A Smith just torched his azz on ESPN.

I may excuse his behavior after all!   

McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 07:59:04 PM »

Good insights.
Let me add that the OVER-ADVERTISING is an issue.  Loooong commercials and not much football.  The NFL shortened their game, but the commercials are still long.

Kickoffs into the endzone (every kick, every game) are followed by a commercial.  WHY??  It's stupid enough to cover the kickoff when it's predictable.  Arghhh!

Frequency and length of comm'l breaks definitely affects viewer's behavior.  (I used to work on formatting breaks into programs at ABC-TV, and we always struggled with this.)  Frequency & length just make it harder to enjoy a game as the natural flow of the game (aka its entertainment value) is eroded.

The placement of a break after every kickoff is an attempt to put a break in a spot that is less disruptive.  Even if the kickoff is run back, there will still be a break.

There are only so many logical/natural places you can interrupt game action.  So as TV rights get more expensive, networks have to have more time to sell, hence longer breaks.  You can be sure that Bama's 9:00 mnute drives are 'driving' the network producers crazy as they get behind in their planned comm'l rotation.

I don't know what it's like at the stadium these days, but TV timeouts are probably affecting the fans too.

2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 08:02:08 PM »

Good insights.

Frequency and length of comm'l breaks definitely affects viewer's behavior.  (I used to work on formatting breaks into programs at ABC-TV, and we always struggled with this.)  Frequency & length just make it harder to enjoy a game as the natural flow of the game (aka its entertainment value) is eroded.

The placement of a break after every kickoff is an attempt to put a break in a spot that is less disruptive.  Even if the kickoff is run back, there will still be a break.

There are only so many logical/natural places you can interrupt game action.  So as TV rights get more expensive, networks have to have more time to sell, hence longer breaks.  You can be sure that Bama's 9:00 mnute drives are 'driving' the network producers crazy as they get behind in their planned comm'l rotation.

I don't know what it's like at the stadium these days, but TV timeouts are probably affecting the fans too.

More than you know, Mac. You just can't hop up to go on a quick bathroom break at the stadium. 
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 08:20:14 PM »

As someone who worked in television for 30 years, I think the single biggest reason is overexposure.  There is only so much appetite for watching NFL games.  They've added Thurs night and now Sunday a.m. games from London.  The audience has been spread over more choices hence viewing is down for each choice.

All the other things mentioned are likely contributing factors, especially lopsided games.  What's the point in watching a game where the outcome is already known, especially if you have to go to work the next day.

Good insights.
Let me add that the OVER-ADVERTISING is an issue.  Loooong commercials and not much football.  The NFL shortened their game, but the commercials are still long.

Kickoffs into the endzone (every kick, every game) are followed by a commercial.  WHY??  It's stupid enough to cover the kickoff when it's predictable.  Arghhh!

Frequency and length of comm'l breaks definitely affects viewer's behavior.  (I used to work on formatting breaks into programs at ABC-TV, and we always struggled with this.)  Frequency & length just make it harder to enjoy a game as the natural flow of the game (aka its entertainment value) is eroded.

The placement of a break after every kickoff is an attempt to put a break in a spot that is less disruptive.  Even if the kickoff is run back, there will still be a break.

There are only so many logical/natural places you can interrupt game action.  So as TV rights get more expensive, networks have to have more time to sell, hence longer breaks.  You can be sure that Bama's 9:00 mnute drives are 'driving' the network producers crazy as they get behind in their planned comm'l rotation.

More than you know, Mac. You just can't hop up to go on a quick bathroom break at the stadium.  

Use your empty popcorn box.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHQBgOZKk6k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHQBgOZKk6k</a>
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:22:53 PM by Chechem » Logged

2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 08:25:28 PM »

As someone who worked in television for 30 years, I think the single biggest reason is overexposure.  There is only so much appetite for watching NFL games.  They've added Thurs night and now Sunday a.m. games from London.  The audience has been spread over more choices hence viewing is down for each choice.

All the other things mentioned are likely contributing factors, especially lopsided games.  What's the point in watching a game where the outcome is already known, especially if you have to go to work the next day.

Good insights.
Let me add that the OVER-ADVERTISING is an issue.  Loooong commercials and not much football.  The NFL shortened their game, but the commercials are still long.

Kickoffs into the endzone (every kick, every game) are followed by a commercial.  WHY??  It's stupid enough to cover the kickoff when it's predictable.  Arghhh!

Frequency and length of comm'l breaks definitely affects viewer's behavior.  (I used to work on formatting breaks into programs at ABC-TV, and we always struggled with this.)  Frequency & length just make it harder to enjoy a game as the natural flow of the game (aka its entertainment value) is eroded.

The placement of a break after every kickoff is an attempt to put a break in a spot that is less disruptive.  Even if the kickoff is run back, there will still be a break.

There are only so many logical/natural places you can interrupt game action.  So as TV rights get more expensive, networks have to have more time to sell, hence longer breaks.  You can be sure that Bama's 9:00 mnute drives are 'driving' the network producers crazy as they get behind in their planned comm'l rotation.

Use your empty popcorn box.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHQBgOZKk6k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHQBgOZKk6k</a>

Bwaaahaaahaaahaaa!!!!!!!! One of the funniest skits ever! 
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 06:09:26 AM »

why I don't watch  Banging your head against the wall.

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 06:49:42 AM »

Unlike college every game is not important. It only becomes interesting at playoff time. This time of year = boring.

And all the other things listed in this thread.
bamaphil
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2962

bamaphil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 07:49:18 AM »

There's probably no single reason.

I'm still angry over what the league did to the Saints in 2011-12 when they were a Super Bowl contender. The Saints got caught on tape doing something every team in the league did, and the league suspended the coach for a year. They haven't been the same since.

That, along with the lack of enthusiasm and excitement compared to college ball, the league's meddling in politics to promote a leftist agenda, refusal to let the players have fun, and handling of the Kaepernick situation have all contributed to turn me off. 

I'm still following the Saints, but am not even making an effort to watch the games this year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 246
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0