Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: Kentucky vs Bama  (Read 4922 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »

Kentucky vs Bama

First congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the big win vs Kentucky Saturday.  This was a game where the Bama offense showed it has a long way to go.

OFFFENSE:  Bama had 488 yards of total offense which includes 173 rushing and 315 passing.  The passing yards are a little deceiving because most of the yardage was made after short passes.  As far as negatives Bama had 1 sack, 2 tackles for losses and a fumble that was lost.  With the negative plays Bama caused their own fumble and the sack was when Hurts ran out of bounds when he could have thrown the ball away.  Bama also had 1 three and out for the game.  For positives, Bama had 7 runs of 10+ yards and 12 passes of 10+ yards.  Again these were mostly thrown short and the yardage was made after the catch.  Bama reached the red zone 4 times and scored 3 touchdowns and kicked one field goal.  They also had a field goal from outside the red zone.  They left points on the field when they missed the one field goal. 

QB:  Hurts had an ok game.  He still hasn’t thrown the deep ball well or consistently.  He was 20 for 32 for 63 percent but you have to realize those jet sweeps where he flips the ball forward is considered a completion.  I think he is looking at the rush too much instead of the progression of the receivers, however this is just my opinion.  I also think his footwork is lacking at times.  If you notice how many balls are right on target where the rec is hit in stride? He also threw into double coverage at least once.  I also think he needs to work on his play action.  Bateman came in and went 5 for 5, again they were mostly short throws.

RB:  Jacobs runs hard.  He is also a strong runner for his size.  Many times when he is tackled he is going forward.  Harris was limited for his ankle I would imagine.  Scarbrough ran hard as well. 

Rec:  It is hard to get a gauge on these players as route runners since the TV angle doesn’t show it very well.  I do know there are a couple ball, not thrown perfectly, that could have been caught.  One specifically was the 4th down throw that would have kept a drive alive.   These guys are too talented not to be utilized more. 

OL:   I will still use the word inconsistent here.  That one drive where they ran the ball all the way they looked good.  Other times they don’t sustain their blocks and I think there was some miss communication on a couple of combo blocks.  Penalties by these guys hurt drives.  They are not a dominant unit at this point.
Defense:  Bama gave up 161 yards of total offense.  This included 89 passing yard and 72 rushing yards.  As far as negative plays, I have 5 sacks, 6 tackles for loss, and 3 fumble 2 of which were recovered by Bama.  One of those fumbles was returned for a touchdown.  Bama had 3 three and outs and all of them were in the first half.  For plays of 10+ yards Kentucky had 6 runs and 3 passes.  They only got into the red zone once and got a field goal for it.  The other field goal came outside the red zone.  I don’t know why but the last two games the opposition has started with a run of 10+ yards.  It was obvious Kentucky was planning on getting rid of the ball quickly and utilize the short passing game.

DL:    They played their usual good game.  I think you could see Williams was hungry after being set out for the first half.  They did lose the edge a couple of times.  Probably their biggest play was the pass that was batted down on the pop pass.  The receiver was wide open with only Jackson back there to stop him. 

LB:   They played well.  Most of their job was in the box.  They were put in coverage a couple of times and once there was a completion that was well defended. 

DB:  They really weren’t tested very often.  Harrison was again beat on a short throw that turned into a first down and a 10+ completion.  I wonder if Jackson would be better in coverage since he used to be a corner.  This is just wondering not questioning the coach’s decisions.

Special Teams:    Overall they were pretty solid, but there were a few of issues.  On the kickoff they lost contain and allowed a decent return.  On one of Bama’s kickoff returns they should have taken a knee instead or running it out after a bobble.  Another was when Bama had a chance to pin Kentucky deep on a punt and it took a weird hop and went thru Browns legs.  Finally, another makeable field goal that was missed.  These little things can cost you a game against a quality opponent.
Penalties:   Bama had 4 penalties for 20 yards.  Ten of those yards were on the right tackle.  One of his false starts that took Bama from a 4th and 2 to a 4th and 7.  If you watch the play begin to unfold Hurts had a huge running lane if the block had been made on the edge.  I also think they got away with a false start on one play when the left guard flinched.

Finally:   Bama has got to get this offense straightened out.  The first quarter slow starts are hurting the team.  The inconsistent OL play has got to improve.  Hurts has to do a better job with footwork and consistency.  Bama is getting ready to play probably the toughest stretch of any team in the nation. 

Feel free to comment:

16 and Counting
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 01:23:56 PM »

Thanks hscoach. Since I can't see the games your insights are refreshing for what might be going on at each position. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2045

ALTideUp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 01:50:41 PM »

Great review Coach. As for the QB situation, I have two thoughts. First, it looks like Hurts is very resilient against the errors he makes and the bad breaks he's had. If a trufrosh QB can avoid a meltdown type of game, that's a wonderful thing. Even-keel is the Bama way. Second, I thought it was a bad move not to let Bateman have an entire q of work. We wasted a lot of snaps on Barnett and I am worried how Bateman will do in these next crucial and difficult games if Hurts gets injured.

"When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro"

Hunter S. Thompson
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 01:55:12 PM »

Great review Coach. As for the QB situation, I have two thoughts. First, it looks like Hurts is very resilient against the errors he makes and the bad breaks he's had. If a trufrosh QB can avoid a meltdown type of game, that's a wonderful thing. Even-keel is the Bama way. Second, I thought it was a bad move not to let Bateman have an entire q of work. We wasted a lot of snaps on Barnett and I am worried how Bateman will do in these next crucial and difficult games if Hurts gets injured.

I agree that Bateman should have gotten more work.  Also, it doesn't seem that mistakes/bad breaks affects him.  The  trouble is have you seen a lot of growth in the games not with him but the offense as well?
ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

ALTideUp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »

I agree that Bateman should have gotten more work.  Also, it doesn't seem that mistakes/bad breaks affects him.  The  trouble is have you seen a lot of growth in the games not with him but the offense as well?

No, Coach. Not a lot. I think he may have gotten the ball out a hair quicker, but the overall pace of decisions and delivering the ball is too slow. It would help if he had more time in the pocket to check down, but that has been inconsistent as well.

Hunter S. Thompson
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 05:33:06 AM »

You cannot be surprised, folks, at Hurts' development.  He is a true freshman.  Remember how long it took Coker last year to develop?  And he'd been in OUR system for a year longer.

1. Unlike Coker, Hurts has already learned to throw away the ball;
2. Hurts seems to make good decisions on run/pass options;
3. Hurts needs to see the field better;
4. Hurts' passing is improving.  He has a strong arm, and his completion % will improve dramatically as his experience at reading defenses improves;
5. He needs practice with the receivers.  Clearly he trusts only Ridley thus far;
6. He's being pressured by the defenses, even against average teams.  This is a red flag for the O-line, but at least Hurts is learning that he has to make quicker decisions and cannot settle in the pocket and wait.  The first 5 games have put him ahead of Coker (at this point last year).  We'll need luck with injuries, but we're good so far.

THANKS hscoach.  Your threads are the highlight of the week!    E-cred.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 05:35:47 AM by Chechem » Logged

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 07:25:09 AM »

Outstanding assessment, Coach. You are dead on. This team is so young, they scare me to death sometimes. But if they can pull out a big comeback win like they did against Ole Miss, it shows me that there is no quit in this team. Heart is something we can't measure, but it looks like this team has plenty of it.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 08:10:09 AM »

Outstanding assessment, Coach. You are dead on. This team is so young, they scare me to death sometimes. But if they can pull out a big comeback win like they did against Ole Miss, it shows me that there is no quit in this team. Heart is something we can't measure, but it looks like this team has plenty of it.

The one word here that you said that might win a NC. The word "HEART." This team does have it but it seems to stay covered up till they get behind. Am I seeing this wrong? RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

ALTideUp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 08:22:11 AM »

You cannot be surprised, folks, at Hurts' development.  He is a true freshman.  Remember how long it took Coker last year to develop?  And he'd been in OUR system for a year longer.

1. Unlike Coker, Hurts has already learned to throw away the ball;
2. Hurts seems to make good decisions on run/pass options;
3. Hurts needs to see the field better;
4. Hurts' passing is improving.  He has a strong arm, and his completion % will improve dramatically as his experience at reading defenses improves;
5. He needs practice with the receivers.  Clearly he trusts only Ridley thus far;
6. He's being pressured by the defenses, even against average teams.  This is a red flag for the O-line, but at least Hurts is learning that he has to make quicker decisions and cannot settle in the pocket and wait.  The first 5 games have put him ahead of Coker (at this point last year).  We'll need luck with injuries, but we're good so far.

THANKS hscoach.  Your threads are the highlight of the week!    E-cred.

Don't get me wrong, I am delighted with how well these very young players are playing. Their most important accomplishment is what they, particularly Hurt, have avoided, namely, doing anything monumentally stupid. There have been no really stupid decisions with the ball, forcing things, and no game changing stupid penalties, or anything of the sort. They are quite an exceptional group of young men.

In another post I commented on how dispiriting it must be to our vanquished opponents, walking off the field in defeat, knowing they will see these same guys for two more years.

Hunter S. Thompson
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 09:09:19 AM »

Thanks coach, as always!  I don't know if this will be our year or not but, man, are we getting a LOT of true freshmen a LOT of playing time.  I think this bodes well for the next couple of seasons.  Your thoughts?  ROLL TIDE!!!
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 03:35:34 PM »

Watching the game again.  On that first drive Bama killed themselves.  First the false start.  If you watch how that play was developing, that was going to be a big gain or even a touchdown because of the blocking angles the Bama players had.  That is of course if they make those blocks.  Also on the pass on 4th and 7, if that ball is on the money Cam may have scored.  If would have for sure been a big gain.
Merk
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3915

Merk

ROLL TIDE!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 05:43:14 PM »

Thanks for another great assessment, Coach

The O line is the problem child right now. If they don't get some consistency soon, it's going to cost them a game somewhere down the line.

"Son, we're Alabama. We don't play second fiddlle to anyone". ~Friday Night Lights
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 104
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0