Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: Kent State vs Bama  (Read 1756 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2016, 12:29:49 PM »

Kent State vs Bama

First congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the big win vs Kent State Saturday.  This was a game where the Bama team clearly outmanned the opponents.  This game shouldn’t have been close and wasn’t.  As stated by the announcers, Bama’s practices are probably tougher since they are going against better competition.

OFFFENSE:  Bama put together 502 yards of total offense which included 217 passing and 285 rushing.  I have Bama for 9 negative plays which included 2 sacks and 7 tackles for losses.  A couple of these were self-imposed when the right guard stepped on the QB and the Bama players ran into each other on a 4th and short.  Bama only had 1 three and out, but this should have been expected with the opponent they were playing.  As far as positive plays, Bama had 11 runs of 10+ yards and 6 pass plays that went for over 10 yards.  Bama got into the red zone 4 times and scored 4 touchdowns and kicked one field goal.  One of the negative plays hurt the drive in the red zone where the QB was stepped on.  They got 2 touchdowns from outside the red zone on offense and 1field goal.   The other score came on special teams outside the red zone. 

QB:  Hurts had a decent game, not great.  Part of this could have been the game plan.  It looked like Bama was trying to work on the long pass plays.  He didn’t make great throws on the long passes and didn’t always check down when he had the opportunity.  He also threw into double coverage a couple of times.  He was late on the throw to Howard where he got the completion even though the ball was tipped.  Barnett had some of the better throws.  For instance, his touchdown to Howard was the same play Hurts ran and was late on the throw.  He also threw a deep ball in the end zone where only the rec had a chance to get the ball.  Other QB’s did well with the backups in the game.  I expect one or two of these to transfer at the end of the season.

RB:  I thought they all ran hard.  I also thought pass blocking was not assertive enough at times and that may be why they are backups.  I really like Jacobs and Emmons.  Hopefully the injuries are not serious and this will benefit Bama down the road with the depth.

Rec:  Many receivers caught the ball.  There were also a couple of balls that were dropped.  Some may not have been perfect throws but they are balls that are expected to be caught by this quality of receivers.  I thought they blocked better this game, but again you have to consider the completion. 

OL:    I don’t know if you would really say they progressed unless you consider the penalties.  This is a DL they should have dominated.  I don’t know if you noticed but the right guard position was being shared by Taylor and Cotton.  I thought Cotton played better.  I don’t know if anyone else noticed but a couple of times when I was watching Taylor, I noticed him shaking his head like he was trying to clear up the cob webs.  What really bothers me here is the pressure they were able to get on the QB.  I know there were only a couple of sacks, but if you can’t block these guys how do you plan on blocking A&M, Tenn., or even Ark?

Defense: The defense gave up 166 yards of total offense.  Out of this total 123 came on 4 plays.  As far as negative plays, Bama had 3 sacks, and 1 tackle for loss.  They also forced and recovered 1 fumble which led to points.  They forced 6 official 3 and out however they did have a one and out with the forced fumble and one 4 and out because of a penalty that gave the a first down on the first play of a series.  For plays over 10+ yards, Bama held KS to 2 pass plays and 2 running plays.  They only reached the red zone once and didn’t score.  They did miss a field goal from outside the red zone. 

DL:    The DL played ok.  The only problem was they allowed the other team to get outside the problem with this is what if it happens when you are playing a better quality team.  They did pressure the QB a couple of time but not real consistently.  I will say they did this with 4 most of the time.

LB:   Again they did a good job.  In my opinion no one really stood out. 

DB:  Not really challenged here very often.  The big reception came against the backups and was being covered by a strong safety I think.

Special Teams:   Kickoffs:  most of them were good.  The one that wasn’t had good coverage.  The punts were good but the best was that they didn’t have to punt often.  The punt return for the touchdown looked more like poor coverage too me rather than great blocking.  In my opinion I do think he carries the ball a little loose.  I am not saying the team didn’t block it is just that they didn’t have to make many big blocks.  All field goal and extra-point kicks were good especially from Griffith. 

Penalties:   Some of the best news from the game was Bama only had 2 penalties.  One was a false start by Taylor again.   The other was hands to the face by Allen.

Finally:  This was game that Bama was supposed to win and they did.  However, there are concerns.  One concern is forcing the ball on the deep balls.  This also worries me because I didn’t see a lot of intermediate routes.  Another concern is the protection by the offensive line.  It seems they bust more than they should.  I know Robinson whiffed at least once.  I’m not sure if Taylor busted or Williams on one play.  Another concern was the intensity showed in this game.  It looked more like a practice to me.   Finally, injuries seem to be piling up.

Feel free to comment:

16 and Counting
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 07:07:03 AM »

Well done hscoach. Now I have a question. Do you think we have settled on Return men for punts and kickoffs? Our Special Teams seems so very important for turning around of field position. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:15:54 AM »

Well done hscoach. Now I have a question. Do you think we have settled on Return men for punts and kickoffs? Our Special Teams seems so very important for turning around of field position. RTR!

I really don't know.  I think Bama has many options.  I don't know if that punt return secured him the job or he was filling in for a less than 100% Jackson.  You are correct on the importance of the special teams in the game.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 09:55:17 AM »

Thanks, coach!  Hope we can get through Kentucky with no more injuries because there is a really tough stretch coming up.  Hope Mom had a good birthday!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 205
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0