Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Complacency Concerns Nick Saban After 2nd Scrimmage  (Read 11805 times)
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2016, 08:34:15 PM »

Complacency is described as being pleased, especially with oneself or one's merits, advantages, situation, etc., often without awareness of some potential danger or defect; self-satisfied. We have heard the coach use the word complacency in years past, especially after winning a national championship and today he used it again. In the case this year, I think the meaning goes a bit further than some of the players gloating over a national championship.

Today, CNS was more talkative about some team events that hasn't been the ordinary for his teams in the past, players transferring. He started with his concern as being a failure as a coach when his players transfer without ever grasping the thought of what they would be after football was over. Educating and preparing his players for the life after football is very important to him and when his players leave the program because of  their being selfish and expecting to come into college as a 5 star high school player and get a starting job immediately and it doesn't happen, they then want to go elsewhere thinking that will be the fix for them. It also concerns him that when he applies a rule to a transferring player set forth by the SEC and then the SEC doesn't back the rule. It has been a strange start to this season to for sure.

It was the usual hot humid day for the 2nd scrimmage that also had a rainy start, the practice was delayed about 45 minutes due to one of the many storms our area has been having of late. I was very anxious to watch the quarterbacks since all of the preseason talk has been about will a freshman be Bama's starter this year. The Battle between the three, Bateman, Barnett, and Hurts didn't really produce anything that would provide as answer as to the starter would be. I will say though, Hurts impressed me more than the other two with Bateman following him. Remember now I am referencing to the passing game. Hurts is going to be a very good quarterback before he leaves Bama, he is not as one dimensional as the other two and can get positive yards on plays that are busted or defensed well. Bateman and Barnett are very one dimensional with their play execution, if their primary target is covered, they are in trouble. There were a lot of bad plays today and not just the thrown passes, there were a lot of dropped passes by the receivers as  well.

My bright spot on the offense was the running backs. Say what you want but Bama has some good young running backs and the run that really impressed me today was Joshua Jacobs, the young man that nobody wanted during the recruiting days. nick Saban mentioned him and compared him to Mark Ingram. I thought the offensive line did well against the #1 defense but the defense is ahead of the offense at this time.

Jeremy Pruitt has Bama loaded again with a good solid defense with lots of depth. I don't think I've ever seen as many freshmen and red shirt freshmen on the field at the same time today this will play big dividends down the road. I did notice Ruben Foster today, he's lost so much weight I thought he was a defensive back. The defensive backs played pretty good for the most part but they weren't facing some of these SEC QB's.

After watching the practice and listening to CNS, I came away with the feeling that this team has a lot of growing to do to win another championship this year. They have the players to do it but are the players ready for the adversity that goes along with the rigors of playing in the SEC. When you walk around with a bullseye on your back, you better bring your A game with you every Saturday. CNS seems to think they have too many players that think they are better than they really are and when failure becomes part of their game, then that is when the real problem sets in, can they handle it.

USCw is just two weeks away and Bama looks good on paper but the game is won on the field. Hopefully substantial improvement will occur in the next two weeks and Bama will take care of business as they should and be on their way to yet another national championship. RTR!!!

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 10:39:35 PM »

Thanks for this write-up J.  I've been waiting to hear from you with first hand impressions.

Here's an al.com article on the QB situation after 2nd scrimmage:

Click here for link

For my 2-cents, I don't like the vibe coming out of fall camp.  No buzz; no sense of excitement.  Don't get the feeling that the players are all working toward a goal.

We need a leader at QB.  Right now we don't have one.  To me, any way you cut it, that's not good.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 04:13:16 AM »

Thanks J, great insight. Have an e-cred.

I watched Saban's presser yesterday and the thing that stood out most was when he said that he was not disappointed in the team's practices and scrimmages, but they still have a long way to go to be ready for their first game. He also said that the QB race was still wide open.

They've got 2 weeks to get it done.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 06:10:47 AM »

Excellent insight, Jamos.   

Applause E-Cred

carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 08:02:24 AM »

Thanks for this write-up J.  I've been waiting to hear from you with first hand impressions.

Here's an al.com article on the QB situation after 2nd scrimmage:

Click here for link

For my 2-cents, I don't like the vibe coming out of fall camp.  No buzz; no sense of excitement.  Don't get the feeling that the players are all working toward a goal.

We need a leader at QB.  Right now we don't have one.  To me, any way you cut it, that's not good.

I agree with the leader assessment. Last year's team looked like they were going through the motions until Coker took over the QB spot permanently, then it seemed to settle into it's rhythm. Hopefully that will be the case this year.

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:27:30 AM »

Thanks JAMOS. You did another good job. Since you've been there maybe my idea of CNS hiding his QB's is not as prevalent as I first thought. One thing is for sure we better get ready one game at a time. The intangibles you speak of is the very reason I don't think player should be allowed to go to the NFL until after their JR. year or Transfer until after their Sophomore year. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2961

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »

Booger McFarland said last week that he time he's spent around the team doing work for the SECN, that he sees a lack of leadership and team chemistry.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 04:44:49 PM »

With all the freshman we'll see on the field, we may see another year like 2010. But, I remember the talk this time last year and there was a lot of doubt then. Coker was not taking the bull by the horns and it seemed there was a lack of leadership then. The team morphed into what it became, one game at a time, with the focus finally coming together after the Ole Miss game. Dear Lord, I hope we don't have to lose to Ole Miss again this year before pulling it together.

This appears to be a team that will need to grow as the season progresses, and it's a tall order with the brutal schedule they have this year. The youngsters will need to mature quickly if we're to secure #17.

We have the talent. We will need the discipline that comes with it.
Merk
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3915

Merk

ROLL TIDE!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 06:11:18 PM »

Another great, insightful article, Jamos.  I think Hurts is an X factor. If he keeps on improving, I can't see Kiffin leaving him out of certain schemes. As far as leadership, I hope we have guys start stepping up but may not happen until their 'trial by fire'.

"Son, we're Alabama. We don't play second fiddlle to anyone". ~Friday Night Lights
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »

AP has just ranked Bama #1in its pre-season poll.  That won't help with the complacency issues.

I think one of the issues that develops when a team had so many young starters, is that they don't yet see themselves as leaders.  But some of those guys need to step up.  Other guys like OJ Howard, Ruben and Eddie Jackson, who have been around longer, also have to lead.  Doesn't sound like any of this is happening.
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 05:32:04 AM »

Keep in mind that the team is tired now.  It's been a grueling and hot 'fall camp' for the players, and they've been pushed hard.  They're just trying to win their positions, not concentrating on the big picture.

I heard an interview with OJ Howard on Sirius radio.  He was asked about leadership, and said the seniors all know what's needed, and he has begun to provide leadership himself.  Said he's always led by example before, but now is working with other TEs to help with technique and such.

It's a long season, and plenty of entertainment.  We have almost never won every game, and we don't need to win every game this year.  All we need to do is play to our potential, and every player is driving toward that.  The way we scheme and rotate groups for each special situation, the idea of team chemistry is probably overdone.  It's not like the Coach Bryant's teams, where 11-15 guys played the entire game.

Right, one game at a time.  Let's just beat USCw, and begin to develop a QB.   Kiss

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 07:38:00 AM »

Chechem I think you have an idea going there. I just hope we win the first game by 1 point. Why? Because that will give CNS something good to holler and scream about and maybe get them fired up. I would love to see us win maybe the first 5 games by one point. This way it could bust those better than thou bubbles maybe and have people working hard for each game one play at a time. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »

Chech -- Glad to hear the comments from OJH.  Positive sign.

Thanks
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 03:01:04 PM »

Good stuff in here.

Chech makes a good point that didn't occur to me.  The boys are grinding right now, and many of them are in a dogfight just to earn playing time.  Leaders will emerge once some of those position battles have been settled, particularly the QB spot.

There is NO WAY we lose to Ole Miss again this year.  None.  Nada.  Zip.  Nein.  We have a better chance of going 1-11 than we do of losing to Ole Miss.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 07:08:01 PM »

Good stuff in here.

Chech makes a good point that didn't occur to me.  The boys are grinding right now, and many of them are in a dogfight just to earn playing time.  Leaders will emerge once some of those position battles have been settled, particularly the QB spot.

There is NO WAY we lose to Ole Miss again this year.  None.  Nada.  Zip.  Nein.  We have a better chance of going 1-11 than we do of losing to Ole Miss.

98-0?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 142
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0