Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: Bama vs MSU  (Read 2415 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2016, 01:41:20 PM »

First: Congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the victory. This was outstanding game plans by both the offensive and defensive staffs.  Theses game plans were well executed by the players.  This shows the focus they had in preparing for the game.                   
Offense:  The offense rolled up 440 yards of total offense.  They had 286 yards passing and 154 rushing.  For plays covering 10+ yards there were 9 pass plays and 4 run plays.  The offense had what I consider 11 negative plays.  I have 1 sack, 9 tackles for losses and 1 fumble which wasn’t lost.  I only have Bama for 1 three and out, but they may count 1 near the end of the game.  This is great news here.  Bama got into the red zone 3 times and scored 3 touchdowns.  They had one touchdown from outside the red zone as well as a field goal from outside the red zone.  The other points came from the punt return by Jones. 
QB:  Coker had an outstanding game.  He was 25 for 30 which is 83 percent.  However after the half he was 6 for 7 which is 86 percent.  He did make a couple of bad decisions, but they didn’t hurt Bama.  One deep ball was not well throw early and he dumped the ball to Drake when he should have just throw the ball away.  Coker also stood in the pocket and threw the ball well when under pressure.
RB:  Henry had a better game than people realize.  He ran hard against a tough front from MSU.  What he did so well was blocked all night.  He was the lead on the pop pass a few times and did a great job.  He also had to pass protect which was also done well.
REC:  Even though Ridley and Stewart were the main targets, Mullaney and Howard had big catches.
OL:  Against a stout D, I thought they played pretty well.  There were some negative plays, but I think half of them were on pass plays.  They only gave up one sack.  The most impressive thing about the offensive line was when you had Robinson and Kelly both getting well downfield on blocks.
Defense:  They played a very good game. MSU ended the game with 239 total yards which is about 146 yards below their average.  MSU had 124 yards at the half and managed only 115 the second half.  The defense is credited with12 negative plays which include 4 sacks, 4 tackles for losses, 2 interceptions, and 2 fumbles which MSU retained.  I have MSU for 5 three and outs and 2 four and outs.  They did give up 2 runs of 10+ yards and 10 pass plays of 10+ yards.  Overall a masterful job by this unit.  They did get caught once when MSU went hurry up on them, but the next time they tried it there was a sack.
DL:  This is the best unit I have ever seen at Bama.  They all played well and can now play the running game as well as the passing game.  I really thought Anderson had a very good game.
LB:  They played a solid game.  They were in coverage and playing the run.  They also played more than a couple of players.
DB:  Most of the day they were in positon to make the plays and just didn’t get their head around a couple of times which caused a couple of PI penalties.  I didn’t count the tipped passes, but there were a few.  Only a few times were there many yards after the catch.  They were aided by the DL being able to put pressure on the QB with only 3 and 4 rushers.
Penalties:  There some penalties but most of the time they overcame them.  There was one drive that was stalled because of penalties which included the chop block.  I really questioned the call because it looked like the tackle was just trying to avoid the DL who was being blocked by Taylor. Too me there was no intention to help with the block.  Bama was aided on one drive by the penalties committed by MSU.
Special Teams:  The only mistake here was the kickoff out of bounds.  Coverage and execution on special teams was good.  Again, Jones takes one to the house, which had some good blocks on what looked like a low returnable punt.
Finally:  I really like the chemistry of this team.  They seem to be focused on winning.  Clemson will be a great test.
Please feel free to comment.
Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll
15 and counting
Merk
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3915

Merk

ROLL TIDE!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 02:07:47 PM »

First: Congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the victory. This was outstanding game plans by both the offensive and defensive staffs.  Theses game plans were well executed by the players.  This shows the focus they had in preparing for the game.                   
Offense:  The offense rolled up 440 yards of total offense.  They had 286 yards passing and 154 rushing.  For plays covering 10+ yards there were 9 pass plays and 4 run plays.  The offense had what I consider 11 negative plays.  I have 1 sack, 9 tackles for losses and 1 fumble which wasn’t lost.  I only have Bama for 1 three and out, but they may count 1 near the end of the game.  This is great news here.  Bama got into the red zone 3 times and scored 3 touchdowns.  They had one touchdown from outside the red zone as well as a field goal from outside the red zone.  The other points came from the punt return by Jones. 
QB:  Coker had an outstanding game.  He was 25 for 30 which is 83 percent.  However after the half he was 6 for 7 which is 86 percent.  He did make a couple of bad decisions, but they didn’t hurt Bama.  One deep ball was not well throw early and he dumped the ball to Drake when he should have just throw the ball away.  Coker also stood in the pocket and threw the ball well when under pressure.
RB:  Henry had a better game than people realize.  He ran hard against a tough front from MSU.  What he did so well was blocked all night.  He was the lead on the pop pass a few times and did a great job.  He also had to pass protect which was also done well.
REC:  Even though Ridley and Stewart were the main targets, Mullaney and Howard had big catches.
OL:  Against a stout D, I thought they played pretty well.  There were some negative plays, but I think half of them were on pass plays.  They only gave up one sack.  The most impressive thing about the offensive line was when you had Robinson and Kelly both getting well downfield on blocks.
Defense:  They played a very good game. MSU ended the game with 239 total yards which is about 146 yards below their average.  MSU had 124 yards at the half and managed only 115 the second half.  The defense is credited with12 negative plays which include 4 sacks, 4 tackles for losses, 2 interceptions, and 2 fumbles which MSU retained.  I have MSU for 5 three and outs and 2 four and outs.  They did give up 2 runs of 10+ yards and 10 pass plays of 10+ yards.  Overall a masterful job by this unit.  They did get caught once when MSU went hurry up on them, but the next time they tried it there was a sack.
DL:  This is the best unit I have ever seen at Bama.  They all played well and can now play the running game as well as the passing game.  I really thought Anderson had a very good game.
LB:  They played a solid game.  They were in coverage and playing the run.  They also played more than a couple of players.
DB:  Most of the day they were in positon to make the plays and just didn’t get their head around a couple of times which caused a couple of PI penalties.  I didn’t count the tipped passes, but there were a few.  Only a few times were there many yards after the catch.  They were aided by the DL being able to put pressure on the QB with only 3 and 4 rushers.
Penalties:  There some penalties but most of the time they overcame them.  There was one drive that was stalled because of penalties which included the chop block.  I really questioned the call because it looked like the tackle was just trying to avoid the DL who was being blocked by Taylor. Too me there was no intention to help with the block.  Bama was aided on one drive by the penalties committed by MSU.
Special Teams:  The only mistake here was the kickoff out of bounds.  Coverage and execution on special teams was good.  Again, Jones takes one to the house, which had some good blocks on what looked like a low returnable punt.
Finally:  I really like the chemistry of this team.  They seem to be focused on winning.  Clemson will be a great test.
Please feel free to comment.
Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll
15 and counting

Thanks again, Coach for an excellent analysis. I agree this is the best DL I've seen at Bama and anywhere else for that matter in college football for as long as I can remember.

"Son, we're Alabama. We don't play second fiddlle to anyone". ~Friday Night Lights
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 02:13:12 PM »

I left out how impressed I am with the technique of the DL.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:21:49 PM »

Great analysis Coach!  Hope you are able to be as positive on the 12th as you are in this one!  ROLL TIDE!!!
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 05:03:02 PM »

Great job. To say the DL is the best unit you have ever seen is at the same time surprising and not surprising. Of all the units ever at Bama, especially defensively, to say one is the best ever is a mouth full. Having said that, I can't disagree. I have never seen a DL shut down gaps and stone the run game on such a consistent basis as this one. Definitely in high cotton.

I agree with your assessment on the chop block. The G did go low, but the T merely brushed the DT in trying to get to a LB. There was no engagement to call a chop block.

hscoach, what are you initial thoughts on the Clemson match-up?

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »

Great job. To say the DL is the best unit you have ever seen is at the same time surprising and not surprising. Of all the units ever at Bama, especially defensively, to say one is the best ever is a mouth full. Having said that, I can't disagree. I have never seen a DL shut down gaps and stone the run game on such a consistent basis as this one. Definitely in high cotton.

I agree with your assessment on the chop block. The G did go low, but the T merely brushed the DT in trying to get to a LB. There was no engagement to call a chop block.

hscoach, what are you initial thoughts on the Clemson match-up?

I think it is going to be a tough job.  The d will have to account for a pretty good running back and a running Qb that throws pretty well They will have to play great assignment football and win one on one battles.  I don't think they will shut out Clemson,
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 07:21:00 PM »

Excellent, Coach! Obviously if we were giving out grades, we'd give them an A+.

What I really like about this game is that Clemson will have a harder time preparing defensively for Bama, since we showed that we are not a one dimensional team.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 05:40:12 AM »

Thanks, hscoach, for another excellent analysis.  I appreciate your work and insights.

Yes, Clemson will present our defense with a major problem: QB containment.  Watson is an elite talent at both running and throwing.  I just hope he won't respond well to being bottled up in the pocket!

Here's a related article about our preparations for Watson: Click here for link

Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 06:53:27 AM »

Watching the replay.  Some notes:

1. 2nd series, Drake drops a screen pass.  It was set up.  Even though MSU was playing zone, the defender outside had been knocked to the ground.  Drake would have been free in the open field.  

2. A'Shawn and Ryan Anderson side-by-side on the right end are HUGE against an O-line.  Love watching them.

3.  MSU used good coaching to hurry up on 3rd downs in 1st Q.  They caught us out of position and got a big play the first time.  We learned.  Second time they tried (same series) we covered the receivers better, and Jonathan Allen got a SACK!

4.  Dillon Lee played his position well to stop cutbacks.  The first was when MSU tried a wildcat during 1st Q: loss of 4.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 227
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0