Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: Florida vs Bama  (Read 7228 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2015, 12:45:55 PM »

First: Congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the victory. This was old fashion slobber knocking football.                       
Offense:  The offense rolled up 437 yards of total offense, 204 yards passing and 233 rushing.  They started out slow and made crucial mistakes early to stop drives, especially when they had good field position.  As far as negative plays, they had 2 sacks and 6 tackles for losses.  Both sacks were in the first half of the game.  They also had 2 fumbles, one of which was on a sack, one of which was lost.  This was also when they had very good field position.  I also have them for 6 three and outs.  As far as plays for over 10 yards, Bama had there were 6 pass plays and 6 running plays.  Bama got into UF’s red zone 6 times.  They scored 2 touchdowns and 2 field goals.  They also missed 1 field goal.  The other time was late in the game when they let time expire.  One of the touchdowns was scored from outside the red zone. 
QB:  Coker had a good game.  He was hurt by a couple of drops, but they were not perfect passes.  I thought early in the game he had a little happy feet and was not focusing downfield.  He did end up completing 69 percent of his passes, but remember those little forward tosses count as pass completions.  I just thought he could have done a little better job setting his feet at times.  To be honest here there were a couple of throws that could have been intercepted.  First the underthrow where Ridley went up and got the ball, if this had been thrown sooner it probably would have been a TD.  Another throw that could have been picked was underthrown to the sideline and Hargraves had a chance but Ridley helped knock the ball away.  Finally, on the TD that pass was thrown into double coverage.
RB:  The repeating pattern is Henry is the man.  He had a good game even though he fumbles once.  This was a hard hitting game and he still ran the ball 44 times.  One of his best plays was his block on the TD throw which gave Coker the time to make the throw.
REC:  They made some very good catches and actually helped Coker have a good game.  If you notice the last part of the QB write up you can see why they rec’s helped him have a good game.  They had some good blocks.
OL:  Overall they played a pretty good game. I say this for a couple of reasons.  First, this is a pretty good front seven.  Second, UF had 7 to 8 in the box early.  Third, the safeties were filling very fast especially #42.   There were times when they were driven back or made a mistake on blocking.  For instance, on the pass play Robinson had one outside and the guard was uncovered.  For some reason Robinson went to the inside player instead of the outside player.  The only reason he should have done this would be if the back had the outside guy.  This is why I think he busted there.  Both guards got blown up at least once.  Taylor also had 2 false start penalties one that went from 3rd and short to 3rd and long.
Defense:  They played a good game, where they could concentrate on the running game because of the limited passing ability of the UF QB.  UF only had 180 yards of total offense, 165 passing and 15 rushing.  As far as negative plays, I have Bama for 6 sacks and 5 tackles for losses.  They were also credited with an interception and a caused fumble (on the punt but recovered by UF).  The interception led to points.  The defense was credited with 8 three and outs and 1 two and outs.  The two and out was a result of the interception.  As far as plays for 10+ yards, I only have UF for 1 run and 6 pass plays.  On the bad side they did miss a couple of tackles.  Bama also seem to play a little too soft on the drive where UF made the deep throw for the touchdown.  UF did try to create some mismatches with the DB’s by putting the TE’s outside and wide recs inside.  They contained the outside game pretty well and only allowed one big game when they allowed the QB to scramble.
DL:  They played a very good game.  Everyone who played here contributed.  The players that stood out too me were Williams and Anderson.  I would also say Allen again had a good game.
LB:  They played a solid game.  They had to play the running game and that was also accounting for the QB.  I did think they got lost in coverage a couple of times when balls were completed over the middle or passes were missed over the middle.
DB:  Most of the day they were in positon to make the play.  This is vastly aided by the pass rush which if I saw correctly, Bama leads the nation with 45 sacks.  The big mistake was allowing the long TD pass.  It is hard to tell who was really supposed to have the coverage, but I thought a safety should have had enough depth to come up and make a play.  I will say the rec did a good job going up and high pointing the ball for the catch.  There were a couple of times they busted coverage.  There was a wide open rec that dropped a pass and no DB in sight.  I do want to point out on Humphrey’s interception did anyone else see how high Alex Morris jumped?
Penalties:  There were some big penalties in this game.  Bama lost considerable yardage/field positon because of penalties.  Blocks in the back cost Bama as well as the false starts.  On the false starts, Bama was put in the hole and had to punt at least once because they didn’t come thru.  This could have been saved if a ball hadn’t been dropped on a pass play. 
Special Teams:  Overall pretty good.  There were the couple of problems and the punt return for a TD was the big one.  UF did a great job holding up the cover guys and Scott boomed a punt which allowed the return guy to pick his path.  The other glitch was the missed FG by Griffith.  He hit the ball well but the alignment was off. 
Finally:  Hopefully, Bama can get healed.  I just see that Bama will be playing MSU in the playoffs.  Too me this is a very good draw for Bama.  If Bama is to win the National Championship they are going to have to do a better job in the red zone.  I also just want to throw this out here.  Does anyone think Bama throws the ball sometimes just to give Henry a break?  Congrats to Bama for again going into the playoffs.
Please feel free to comment.
Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll
15 and counting
Old Tider
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 1634

Old Tider

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 01:25:41 PM »

Beautiful analysis, Coach, of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thank heavens Henry has stayed so fit.  Can anyone imagine our offense without him?
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 03:01:57 PM »

Great job hscoach. To answer your question, I think Bama throws and runs jet sweeps to get the LBs moving laterally and spread the D out to create gaps for the running game. What I have noticed is that when Bama comes across a good defense (which BTW I think UF has the best D Bama has or will face) they try stretching them out prior to smashing them in the face.

I, like you, think the Michigan State matchup is the best one by far for Bama. MSU plays a style offensively similar to Bama and LSU, and that feeds right into what Bama does best. I also think Bama would match  up better against Clemson's offense, and Oklahoma's defense. Good stuff.

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 03:43:41 PM »

Coach, and everybody else, what do ya'll think about Coker running the option play 2 or 3 times yesterday?  I think this will be huge in the playoffs.  Even if he doesn't get any big runs it will keep the defense honest and help open some holes for Henry.  Just the fact that we showed it yesterday will force the other teams to prepare for it.  Coker can be very effective running the ball and he is big enough to take the hits.  I would not want to try to go a whole season in the SEC with a running QB, but to supplement what we already do in the postseason I think could be huge.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »

Coach, and everybody else, what do ya'll think about Coker running the option play 2 or 3 times yesterday?  I think this will be huge in the playoffs.  Even if he doesn't get any big runs it will keep the defense honest and help open some holes for Henry.  Just the fact that we showed it yesterday will force the other teams to prepare for it.  Coker can be very effective running the ball and he is big enough to take the hits.  I would not want to try to go a whole season in the SEC with a running QB, but to supplement what we already do in the postseason I think could be huge.

I like it and even put a pass off of it if it looks like a true pitch option.
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »

Coach, as always, thanks for your insight. 

I thought you were pretty kind to the OL.  All season I've wondered what was going on with them.  Always mistakes that need to be corrected, but that don't seem to get fixed.  You could say the same about blocks in the back on special teams.

The level of competition is about to get kicked up several notches.  If we continue to make these nagging mistakes, I fear it's going to bite us.  And at this point in the season, I have little hope that these mistakes will get fixed.

One caveat:  I don't know how banged up the OL has been all year.  That could have affected performance.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 04:08:41 PM »

Coach, as always, thanks for your insight. 

I thought you were pretty kind to the OL.  All season I've wondered what was going on with them.  Always mistakes that need to be corrected, but that don't seem to get fixed.  You could say the same about blocks in the back on special teams.

The level of competition is about to get kicked up several notches.  If we continue to make these nagging mistakes, I fear it's going to bite us.  And at this point in the season, I have little hope that these mistakes will get fixed.

One caveat:  I don't know how banged up the OL has been all year.  That could have affected performance.

When I first watched the game i was more down on the OL.  When I watched it the second time I noticed more how the Gators had more people in the box as well as the safeties playing up close.  Think about how many times 42's name, Neal, was called.  Also, the speed of the LB of Florida to be able to shoot the gap was impressive.  There were some mistakes, like Robinson's, but how many times was the RB's actually hit in the backfield.  This was a good D line.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 04:25:57 PM »

Thanks, coach, for the analysis!  I'm looking forward to two more of these after Tide victories this season.  On to JerryWorld and MSU and ROLL TIDE!!!!   Applause E-Cred
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »

By the way does anyone else think C jones is just as good as Hargraves?
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 04:38:14 PM »

By the way does anyone else think C jones is just as good as Hargraves?

Maybe, but I don't like his attitude sometimes.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 05:36:59 PM »

Great assessment as usual, Coach! Do you think MSU's defense is as good as Florida's? Where can we exploit them?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »

Great assessment as usual, Coach! Do you think MSU's defense is as good as Florida's? Where can we exploit them?

I really haven't watched them play that much.
roll tide roll
Grad Student

E-Cred: 1332

roll tide roll

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 06:07:32 PM »

Two biggest plays of the game, in my opinion, both by Coker, and neither a TD pass.

Getting rocked and recovering his fumble, and incomplete pass to Mullaney to save sack.

There were also a couple of nice runs.

Coker had a great game.

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »

Two biggest plays of the game, in my opinion, both by Coker, and neither a TD pass.

Getting rocked and recovering his fumble, and incomplete pass to Mullaney to save sack.

Coker had a great game.

Jake the Quake is a force to be reckoned with!

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 06:47:38 PM »

Coker had a great game.

Jake the Quake is a force to be reckoned with!

Henceforth I shall call him Champion Jake Coker.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 205
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0