Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday Morning Coach's Corner: Game 11  (Read 3627 times)
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2015, 09:06:44 AM »

I don't think there is anything more exciting than the last few weeks of the regular season of college football and yesterday was one of the reasons why. There were so many games that would make or break the chances of some teams to make the playoffs and a chance at the National Championship. Well, it isn't over just yet either with a couple of weeks left in the regular season and some critical games yet to play. All I can say is, stay tuned because there is more excitement and heartache awaiting some of the teams and fans still in the running for one of those four spots.

Bama versus Mississippi State. It seems that every year when these two teams play each other, it is one of the most physical games of the season. I don't know if the reason is that they are just so close geographically and recruit for each other or what but they really put on a show each time they play their annual game. Yesterday was no exception as the team doctors were very busy on both sidelines administering aid to some possibly season ending injuries, the usual for his game.

Bama started the game as they do so many times, being very methodical and deliberate and seemingly not playing very well at all. After watching Derrick Henry run through the defense of LSU the last game and then watching Bama come out throwing the football yesterday, I could only scratch my head and ask why. I've learned though that patience can be a wonderful thing with this team in trying to out guess the coaches and their reasons for doing what they do. The bad part about this patience though is that sometimes it takes way late into the game before Bama takes control and does what they do best, win. This is really tough on all of us fans.

I must add though that if Derrick Henry isn't the real deal and not the leading contender for the Heisman Trophy, that award is very skewed as some of us have been saying for a long time. This young man came to Bama as a high school phenom and given no chance of failure as a college running back. How well do we all know Nick Saban? Henry played nothing but special teams his first two years and handled that role exceptionally well as he has done since earning his spot as a runningback. So many of these recruits come in and have very little patience in waiting for their turn and end up making very bad decisions, we just buried one of those bad decisions recently. There are others on the team now waiting for their chances and hopefully there will be more like Derrick Henry that come to Alabama in the years ahead. Congrats to Derrick for all of his accomplishments so far this season and hopefully more awards are in the near future for him and his teammates. 

Alabama is now where most analyst thought they would be at the start of the season with two games left, leading the SEC West, and the Iron Bowl would be the deciding factor of who would represent the SEC West in the SEC Championship game. It's amazing what the annual Iron Bowl means to the SEC and college football.

Getting back to where we should be now and that is the next game, Charleston Southern. What does this game mean to Bama, as far as a challenge? Probably not that much and I know most fans don't like for Bama to play these tier two schools but I think this is smart scheduling by CNS and staff. It's a known fact that CNS doesn't like open dates in his schedule, he says there is too much time for bad things to happen with an athlete during that two weeks and I'm assuming he's talking about off the field distractions when he says that. The Charleston Southern game should provide a chance for the back up players to get some valuable real time playing experience as well as provide the starters a chance to heal some. With the bumps and bruises that the players got yesterday, the next two weeks should mean a lot heading down the home stretch of the season.

What will the next two Saturdays have to offer for the four spots in the playoffs? I think there is more of what we saw yesterday and what more could us fans ask for. There is plenty of speculation of who these four teams will be, but definitely there are no guarantees. How will Alabama handle their chance of making it to the playoffs? There's a lot of anxiety left for us all so let's enjoy it and root for our favorite team in the weeks ahead with mine being a Roll Tide Roll.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »

Bama started out passing because MS State had 4 D-Linemen and 4 LBs in the box. They were determined to stop the run and make Coker win the game.  After Ridley's TD, things opened up.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 09:29:05 AM »

Bama started out passing because MS State had 4 D-Linemen and 4 LBs in the box. They were determined to stop the run and make Coker win the game.  After Ridley's TD, things opened up.
I agree.  At one point Gary identified TEN State players in the box.

I hate injuries in general but really feel sorry for Kenyan Drake.  He seemed to be really coming around, was playing well in all phases of the game and then broke his arm selling out on special teams.  Hope there's good stuff ahead for him!
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 10:06:07 AM »

Miss State is always a very Physical game. As J said yesterday was no different. When the Miss State player got hurt with 5 minutes or so to go in the game something unusual happened. The opposing coach went to the far sidelines to check on the player. He also spoke to Coach Mullen. I do not know what was said but I think they agreed to play subs the rest of the game so no more starters would get hurt. That is when Bateman, a whole new line and seldom used subs entered the game. State was subbing for starters as well. A good decision by both coaches as the game was already over.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 10:12:01 AM »

Alex Scarborough ‏@AlexS_ESPN  16h16 hours ago
Kenyan Drake has a fractured arm and will be out approximately 3 weeks, per Saban.
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 10:18:09 AM »

Alex Scarborough ‏@AlexS_ESPN  16h16 hours ago
Kenyan Drake has a fractured arm and will be out approximately 3 weeks, per Saban.
3 weeks means he probably won't play again until bowl time.  
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 02:15:07 PM »

Well, if he were a lineman he might be able to play.  But a RB and receiver would be handicapped with a cast on his arm!  So you're prolly right.

Thanks, Jamos, for the thread.  It's almost Iron Bowl time, and you can bet the Humpers will play lights out against us, as always.  Hopefully we'll have everyone well and ready to crush them.

Meanwhile, we have many players who need playing time: Scarbrough, the backup linemen, Harris, and lots of DBs.  Hope they all get to play against CSU.

Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 07:05:25 PM »

Well, if he were a lineman he might be able to play.  But a RB and receiver would be handicapped with a cast on his arm!  So you're prolly right.

Thanks, Jamos, for the thread.  It's almost Iron Bowl time, and you can bet the Humpers will play lights out against us, as always.  Hopefully we'll have everyone well and ready to crush them.

Meanwhile, we have many players who need playing time: Scarbrough, the backup linemen, Harris, and lots of DBs.  Hope they all get to play against CSU.

It was good to see Yarbrough in the game late. What little I've seen of him running the ball, he and Henry look a lot alike stature wise when on the field. Hopefully Bo is as good as Henry and if that isn't possible then maybe just about as good.

bama57
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3858

bama57

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 07:20:42 PM »

Once again some of our posters are waiting to pounce on the 1 game our special teams slip up.How about it MD, how did our special teams preform ?
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 07:28:18 PM »

Once again some of our posters are waiting to pounce on the 1 game our special teams slip up.How about it MD, how did our special teams preform ?

I thought Bobby Williams played his best game of the season Saturday. Wink

bama57
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3858

bama57

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 07:32:02 PM »

:lol:Me too!
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 08:04:56 PM »

I think MSU had one of the top KO return guys in the SEC.  I also don't think they got to the 25 on a return.  Most of the time they were starting inside the 20.
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 05:53:07 AM »

I think MSU had one of the top KO return guys in the SEC.  I also don't think they got to the 25 on a return.  Most of the time they were starting inside the 20.

Yes, it's disappointing to some when our special teams have win.   

Wait, can we blame Williams for the Drake injury??  No doubt!   

bamaphil
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2962

bamaphil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 06:35:08 AM »

I'm really glad that won't (hopefully) be the last play of Drake's career at Bama.  I hope he's able to get healed and play his last game or games in January. 
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 06:49:19 AM »

I'm really glad that won't (hopefully) be the last play of Drake's career at Bama.  I hope he's able to get healed and play his last game or games in January. 

He's had a tough time.  Remember, he spent much of his freshman year in the doghouse.  It seemed that he might be dismissed if he'd had one more mistake.

Then the injury last year was horrid.  He did a great job of rehab, and finally returned to form.

So this really hurts, both him and the team.  Prayers that his life smooths into a positive direction as he recovers.  And hope he gets to play for us again this year!

Pray

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 212
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0