Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday Morning CRS Coach's Corner: Bye Week  (Read 3963 times)
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2015, 07:16:51 AM »

At least I slept well last night due to the off week for Bama but I woke up this morning with that queasy feeling of knowing it is LSU week and it is time for Bama to either put up or shut up. The table has been set for Bama to control their own destiny in the race for a slot in the National Championship playoffs but how will the team react to the challenge?

Bama has been a team with many ups and downs this year with no one really knowing just what to expect come game time as to what team will show up, their good one or the not so good one. The team has shown at times the greatness that it takes to be a national champion but on the other hand, they have also shown a team that will be very lucky to make the playoffs. The sports analysts say that all Bama has to do is win out to make the playoffs, but what about Ole Miss if they run the table with the rest of their schedule?

Ole Miss has lost two games where Bama has lost only once but the factor to that argument is that Bama's  loss is to Ole Miss and if both teams win their remaining games, Ole Miss would be the SEC West champion and play for the SEC championship. The flip side of that coin then is what if Ole Miss loses the SEC championship game and let's just say it is to Florida? Does Florida get the playoff spot, provided they win out, or would they give it to Bama? The other argument to that scenario could be that no SEC would be in the playoffs and would that be a bummer.

As we all watch each weeks games, there are some teams and programs that are religously taken care of by the sports media in my opinion. I won't call any names but I think that most everyone that follows college sports know the teams and conferences that I am referencing to. The SEC Conference is what I think the most hated in the college sports world by the sports media and maybe there is a good reason, they are now the most dominant conference in college athletics period. That wasn't the case though until a coach named Bear Bryant arrived on the scene at the University of Alabama in the mid 50's and how things changed after that. Bear Bryant made college football what it is today. He built a program at the University of Alabama that would challenge the powers of college football then and win, which then birthed all rivalries that we see today whether it's on the field or or by the sports media. The NCAA can thank the University of Alabama for the success that they enrich themselves in today.

So here we are as Bama fans, worrying about something that we have no control of what so ever and that is what makes it so bad. Coach Nick Saban says that you should never worry about anything that you have no control of but Coach, we are Alabama fans. The only factor that we have in what happens with the team's success moving forward is by showing up at the games and screaming our heads off to try and make a difference in the result of the game. So just maybe that does give us the right to worry after

The LSU game is here and I do know it doesn't take much to get the fans of LSU and Bama ready for their annual game. It's one of the fiercest rivalries in college football today thanks to Coach Bear Bryant and Coach Charlie McClendon as they established that with their first game played against each other back in the Billy Cannon days. I bet if both coaches were alive today they would be quick to say that it is the best rivalry in college football and I couldn't argue with that at all.

So hang on Bama fans as we head into the last games of the season, can Bama go all the way and win yet another National Championship? I don't bite on my fingernails but I might start, remember that we have the right to worry now that us fans can make a difference in the outcome of the game. RTR!!!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 03:05:07 PM by Jamos » Logged

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 07:34:32 AM »

Great insight, J. I think we are all nervous. Even if we do beat LSU, we could be this year's TCU if Ole Miss wins out, and we do too. I literally caught myself pulling for the barn yesterday and after 4 showers, still feel yucky! But the realization that Ole Miss plays LSU at home, and they are very good at home, started sinking in as I was watching the game yesterday. I think Ole Miss is too much for Miss St, even at the cow palace.

And on top of all that, we still have to beat LSU, and we're not so great at home. I honestly think I would rather the game be in Red Stick, except, of course, that I'm coming to T-Town to meet some great people and watch the game there.

Having said all that, we thought we were done a few years ago when Johnny footbeer and A&M beat us, but the planets all aligned and we ended up winning it all.

I'm putting on my Crimson glasses and from this point on, I BELIEVE!

EDIT: I almost forgot Ole Miss plays Arky. They will be too much for them, as well.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:42:51 AM by 2Stater » Logged
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 07:53:57 AM »

I am actually pretty confident that the Tide will be able to handle Fournette and Company this Saturday.  Not saying that it will be easy but I do believe we will win the game.  It is a game that I have been anxiously awaiting for several weeks too, even before the OM game.  To me, this will be the game of the year by all accounts.  As far as the rivalry aspect, Bama has been part of the biggest rivalry in the country for years.  First it was the Iron Bowl rivalry that was the biggest.  Then UF/Bama in the late 2000's.  Now, I agree with Jamos that the LSU game has evolved into the countries biggest rivalry.  Bama is sitting on a four-game win streak over them currently.  Hopefully this Saturday that will be extended to 5 games...

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 07:56:27 AM »

It is hard not to speculate on who will beat Ole Miss and what will happen if they win out. My attitude is none of that matters if we do not win out. If we go 11-1 and get left out of the playoffs I can live with that. My gut says if we win out things will take care of themselves and will be playing for another championship.

I know the players needed this bye week to rest and heal up after a brutal October schedule. The off week is not much fun for the fans. Watching the other games yesterday was not as much fun when we did not have our own game to look forward to.

LSU will be a difficult game like it is every year. I feel good about it. We play our best in big games. I also think we match up well with LSU. I think we will slow down their running game and make their QB beat us. He has not had to win a game for them yet. Like always we have to eliminate turnovers, play smart and win the kicking game. Field position will be huge. I think we play our best game of the season and hand LSU their first loss.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 08:04:44 AM »

I have to assume we win out since, if we don't, the Ole Miss record doesn't matter.  Does Ole Miss have to lose one Western Division Game or two for us to go to Atlanta?

I think that if Ole Miss is the SEC Champ, the conference doesn't make the playoffs
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 08:23:01 AM »

I have to assume we win out since, if we don't, the Ole Miss record doesn't matter.  Does Ole Miss have to lose one Western Division Game or two for us to go to Atlanta?

I think that if Ole Miss is the SEC Champ, the conference doesn't make the playoffs
LSU is still undefeated in the SEC, and we play them on Saturday, so they are our main concern right now.

But if Ole Miss wins out, they are in the SEC Championship game.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 08:48:36 AM »

Well I said at the first of the year the lsu game would be the only one we would lose. I was proven wrong on that possible situation. Now the time is hear so this week will prove very important as it does every year. I think we have a better chance to win than we do to lose. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 09:27:11 AM »

If Bama wins out they are in the playoff, doesn't matter what Ole Miss does. Lots of changes coming in the next 3-4 weeks and when all is said and done, only 1 or maybe 2 undefeated teams will be left. Bama is in perfect position to move up into top 4 as higher ranked teams fall. Ole Miss lost their chance at the playoffs in Memphis.
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 09:59:25 AM »

if everyone does their job we should be fine , that includes us 

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 10:37:03 AM »

If Bama wins out they are in the playoff, doesn't matter what Ole Miss does. Lots of changes coming in the next 3-4 weeks and when all is said and done, only 1 or maybe 2 undefeated teams will be left. Bama is in perfect position to move up into top 4 as higher ranked teams fall. Ole Miss lost their chance at the playoffs in Memphis.
I hope you are right.  But, I think we have to win the West and the SEC to get into the playoffs
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 11:20:05 AM »

I'm also nervous about this game.  Bama plays LSU better in Baton Rouge; LSU plays Alabama well as a road team and has an 11-4 record v. Bama in Alabama since 1982.  For whatever reason, there does not seem to be a home field advantage in this game.

The stakes will be high again this year.  Many folks think Bama can stack the box to stop Fournette and make LSU win through the air.  But Florida, which has a very stout defense, tried that, and LSU showed that they can make the plays when needed.

Expect Les Miles to pull out all stops with trick plays aplenty.  Saban and company were victimized by these plays in the past, but the coaching staff and players seem to have developed a good sense of this aspect of Les Miles' strategy, and lately Bama has been mostly ready for whatever LSU throws its way, turning these plays to Bama's advantage.  Hopefully this trend continues.  Stopping the trick plays shifts momentum decidedly to Bama's side of the field and takes the wind out of Les Miles' sails. 

I expect this game to be close to the end.  These are two of the best teams in college football this year, with all the marbles potentially on the line.  That's what makes this game so nervous.  LSU is a team that could potentially beat Bama straight up, not a team that can only win if Bama beats itself. 

As J says, this Bama team shows flashes of greatness, and times when it shoots itself in the foot.  Beating LSU will require Bama's best effort; let's hope the players and coaches are ready! 

Thankfully, once again Bama wisely scheduled its bye week before this game.  I think Bama will be ready, and the best team, the one wearing crimson, will come out the victor. 

McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »

I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN SAID IN THIS THREAD!!

I hope we are all still optimistic on Sunday morning of next week.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 01:34:13 PM »

I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN SAID IN THIS THREAD!!

I hope we are all still optimistic on Sunday morning of next week.

Me too! I'm ready for that "we won" afterglow on Sunday morning, albeit, in a hotel room.  Cool
bamalum67
Grad Student

E-Cred: 119

Male

bamalum67

Bama born and Bama bred

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 01:43:14 PM »

I'll agree with all said here..except for one thing:

Coach Paul Bryant came to Alabama (when he heard "mama" calling) in 1958..not the mid 60's, Mr Jamos.

We will have our hands full.we'll need some luck, and we'll have to make some super human plays to win..it can be done..we will have to come out and smash them in the mouth, rock them back on their feet right out of the box..and keep it up for 60 minutes.

roll, tide!

"It ain't the size of the dog in the fight..it's the size of the fight in the dog"
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 03:06:51 PM »

I'll agree with all said here..except for one thing:

Coach Paul Bryant came to Alabama (when he heard "mama" calling) in 1958..not the mid 60's, Mr Jamos.

We will have our hands full.we'll need some luck, and we'll have to make some super human plays to win..it can be done..we will have to come out and smash them in the mouth, rock them back on their feet right out of the box..and keep it up for 60 minutes.

roll, tide!

Thank you for the heads up on the typo 67, I made the correction. Embarrassed Cheesy

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 166
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0