Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: UT vs Bama  (Read 4923 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2015, 12:45:34 PM »

First: Congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the victory.  This was a hard fought victory on both sides of the ball.  I said this before the announcers, but the Bama team looked tired especially on defense.
Offense:  Bama put 364 yards of total offense on the board which included 247 passing and 117 rushing. They had a chance to put the game away but couldn’t score from the one twice in the game.  They settled for field goals which means they left 8 points on the field.  I only have them for 1 three and out the whole game.  However, they did have 11 negative plays which included 5 sacks, 5 tackles for losses and an interception.  As far as positive 10 plus plays they had 13 pass plays and 4 running plays.  In the red zone they got there 4 times and had 2 touchdowns and 2 field goals.  One of the most important aspects of the game was in the second half Bama scored on 3 of 4 drives.  The last drive was a kneel down to end the game.  That last drive for the TD could be what could possibly propel them to the National Championship but mistakes must be corrected.  One thing I noticed was UT put one safety up tight and if he read run he was filling and if it was pass he was dropping.
QB:  Coker played a good game, and his receivers help turn it into a very good game.  The reason I say this is because of the catches the receiver made that were not put right on the money.  He was 21 for 27 and made good decisions.  Probably one of the best jobs was his scrambles that did not lead to sacks or minimal losses.  I will say he was a little late on the throw on the goal line which allowed the pass to be broken up and Bama not score the TD.
RB:  Henry had an outstanding game.  He ran hard and was hit numerous time and still gained yardage.  He ended up 28 carries for 143 yards.  He also blocked well on pass plays.  Now this is just my opinion, but I thought UT pushed the limit and hit him when he was already down more than once.  Drake ran hard in the few opportunities he got to run. 
REC:  These guys played well.  It was a game that featured Steward, Ridley, and Howard.  Steward and Ridley both came up with big catches.  They continually high pointed the ball beating the defenders to the ball.  I don’t know if you noticed but there should have been no review on the completion none of the UT coaches signaled incomplete letting me know it was a good catch.
OL:  This is the Jekyll and Hyde of the team.  At times they look great but then they can’t block a simple stunt.  The problem is it is not just one it is all of them making mistakes.  I purposely focused on them when I watched the game again.  Two sacks came from Robinson, and he was beat on at least one tackle for a loss.  Also, Jackson took bad angles or came off the combo late to allow the LB to run thru the gap.  I would love to see Bama put two backs and three wide outs in a couple of times to help with the blocking.  At least once in the game every OL got beat.  One thing I have noticed when coaching and you are an OL, if your player goes inside there is more than likely someone coming your way.
Defense:  The defense gave up 303 yards of total offense.  This included 171 passing and 132 rushing.  When they ran the ball and were effective they ran to the edges which Bama gave up numerous times.  I think it was the tired legs or they misinterpreted the speed of the UT players.  They still came up big late and secured the win for Bama.  They are only credited for 2 three and outs.  As far as negative plays they had 4 sacks, 6 tackles for losses and 1 fumble recovery.  For positive plays UT had 8 running plays and 7 passing plays for 10 plus yards.  I also looked at how Bama’s coverage effected the game.  Secondary coverage led to the 4 sacks, 3 throw aways, and 5 scrambles.  Of these 5 scrambles there was only 1 effective play where Dobbs got a first down.  Two of the balls thrown on the scramble should have been picked.  The big concern was the missed tackles that extended plays.
DL:  Even though they gave up more total yards rushing than they have in the past, they played a pretty good game. They did give up the edge in this game more than the past few.  This also seem to be where most of the yards were made.
LB:  They played pretty good.  They were having to play up the middle and wide since many of the throws and runs were wide. 
DB: They gave up a few plays especially one the quick drive where UT scored to take the lead.  They also could have help put the game away if they had come up with the three interceptions they should have made.  They covered well since I have them effecting 12 plays with coverage alone.
Penalties:  Bama had 7 penalties but is only counted for 6 since one was off setting.  Five of the seven was by the offense.  The one by Drake was just stupid.  This gave up yardage which was needed since it was 4th and long punting from deep in your own territory.  The false starts hurts Bama because if usually happens on first down or after a good gain which the penalty negates.  The best job the offense had to do was when they had to overcome 2 penalties on the drive for a field goal.  One of the calls was questionable.  I also thought that the false start on #89 was caused when a UT player entered the neutral zone.
Special Teams:  Special teams was good for Bama today except for 1 kickoff return where many tackles were missed.  AG kicked well.  All of his extra points and field goals were perfect.  JS had an outstanding day punting and helped flip the field.
Finally:  Bama needs this break.  Hopefully they will get healthy and work on fundamentals especially with the offensive line.
Please feel free to comment.
Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll
15 and counting
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 01:04:42 PM »

Good stuff coach!  Thanks.

It looks to me as if Drake is starting to come around.  Except for his stupid penalty I saw more flashes of his talent than since his injury.  Also, I thought some of the problems (dropped INTs, etc.) were from mental tiredness as much as anything.  I got the feeling of a lack of focus.  Don't know if that was tiredness or looking forward to LSU.

ROLL TIDE!!!
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »

QB:  Coker played a good game, and his receivers help turn it into a very good game.  The reason I say this is because of the catches the receiver made that were not put right on the money.  He was 21 for 27 and made good decisions.  Probably one of the best jobs was his scrambles that did not lead to sacks or minimal losses.  I will say he was a little late on the throw on the goal line which allowed the pass to be broken up and Bama not score the TD.

REC:  These guys played well.  It was a game that featured Steward, Ridley, and Howard.  Steward and Ridley both came up with big catches.  They continually high pointed the ball beating the defenders to the ball.  I don’t know if you noticed but there should have been no review on the completion none of the UT coaches signaled incomplete letting me know it was a good catch.

DB: They gave up a few plays especially one the quick drive where UT scored to take the lead.  They also could have help put the game away if they had come up with the three interceptions they should have made.  They covered well since I have them effecting 12 plays with coverage alone.

Penalties:  ...The one by Drake was just stupid.  ...

Special Teams:  Special teams was good for Bama today except for 1 kickoff return where many tackles were missed.  AG kicked well.  All of his extra points and field goals were perfect.  JS had an outstanding day punting and helped flip the field.

EXCELLENT, coach!

1. Coker tried to do too much at times.  He'll get hurt doing that sooner or later.  His interception was an example of doing too much.  But overall, Coker is doing what CNS wants: managing the game.

2. Coker gave the REC a chance to make plays, and almost always they did.  We had very few of those wrong patterns run by REC that we saw earlier, in part because our REC are now Ridley, Stewart, and Mullaney.  Those 3 block well and catch the ball.  Mullaney, especially needs rest on his ankle.

3. DBs played VERY well overall.  The missed interceptions were just flukes.  It was like Ole Miss all over again.

4. Drake taunting??  I thought he was yelling because the UT player hit him OB.  Watch the replay; hit in the face OB.  But, the ref likely heard what Drake said, and I doubt it was flattery.

5. Special Teams.  Any of our whiners calling for Coach Wiliams to be fired after that performance?  Excellent kickoffs and punting, especially.  AG hasn't kicked any long fg lately, but he is 10 of 12 since missing the first 4.

It was a very tough October.  I doubt ANY of the teams ranked above Alabama could have escaped that gauntlet.

bama87
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2132

Male

bama87

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 01:16:02 PM »

The struggles with the OLine really bother me. they seem to all whiff their blocks at some point in pass protection. I want to know when we will see Scarborough. He can pound between the tackles as well. Just my thoughts.
KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 01:25:01 PM »

Good report, coach. Of the 3 dropped interceptions, Rueben Foster's would have been almost impossible especially for a linebacker. Thought the play calling was awful in the first half. I mean you have Henry and you can't just run the ball? Instead call a 2 yard pass that even the pros don't make. Bewildering. I thought that if JC could have faked to DH on short yardage, kept the ball and rolled out he would probably still be running. Don't know if the schemes are bad, too complex, or what but the OL is really struggling to block anyone.
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 01:32:24 PM »

Good job hscoach. Despite tired legs, this OL is the most undisciplined unit on the field by a long shot. Bama is put behind the sticks way too many times due to penalties or missed assignments on first down. Also, the UT safeties were easily 25 yds off the ball at the snap - it would have made sense to run crossing and intermediate routes to not only pick up yards but to set up the long shots later.

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
Old Tider
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 1634

Old Tider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 02:02:57 PM »

Many thanks for your time and wisdom, Coach.  I wonder what the problem is playing at home?  Looks like we'd do better playing LSU over there in Death Valley.
Merk
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3915

Merk

ROLL TIDE!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 04:48:44 PM »

Another great analysis, Coach.  Applause E-Cred

I think it was obvious to all who watched the game our guys were just about worn out. The bye week coming up couldn't come at a better time. After 2 weeks, our guys will be ready for LSU.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 06:08:16 PM by Merk » Logged

"Son, we're Alabama. We don't play second fiddlle to anyone". ~Friday Night Lights
bamaphil
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2962

bamaphil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 04:57:51 PM »

Penalties:  ...The one by Drake was just stupid.  ...

EXCELLENT, coach!

1. Coker tried to do too much at times.  He'll get hurt doing that sooner or later.  His interception was an example of doing too much.  But overall, Coker is doing what CNS wants: managing the game.

2. Coker gave the REC a chance to make plays, and almost always they did.  We had very few of those wrong patterns run by REC that we saw earlier, in part because our REC are now Ridley, Stewart, and Mullaney.  Those 3 block well and catch the ball.  Mullaney, especially needs rest on his ankle.

3. DBs played VERY well overall.  The missed interceptions were just flukes.  It was like Ole Miss all over again.

4. Drake taunting??  I thought he was yelling because the UT player hit him OB.  Watch the replay; hit in the face OB.  But, the ref likely heard what Drake said, and I doubt it was flattery.

5. Special Teams.  Any of our whiners calling for Coach Wiliams to be fired after that performance?  Excellent kickoffs and punting, especially.  AG hasn't kicked any long fg lately, but he is 10 of 12 since missing the first 4.

It was a very tough October.  I doubt ANY of the teams ranked above Alabama could have escaped that gauntlet.

How many catches did Jamos have?
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 05:21:07 PM »

Good stuff coach, as always.

I did notice that none of the UT coaches were signaling incomplete pass, that was the first thing I looked for.

I think Stewart is starting to gain some confidence and that showed yesterday.  If he can continue to make progress, we may have two star receivers at the same time with him and Ridley.  And Mullaney is a solid possession receiver that we can always go to when we need to move the chains.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 05:38:19 PM »

I did notice that none of the UT coaches were signaling incomplete pass, that was the first thing I looked for.

I think Stewart is starting to gain some confidence and that showed yesterday.  If he can continue to make progress, we may have two star receivers at the same time with him and Ridley.  And Mullaney is a solid possession receiver that we can always go to when we need to move the chains.

I agree.  I would still like to see Ridley wide on one side and Stewart on the other.  You then put Mullaney in the slot.  Split backs in the backfield with Henry and Howard.  I know Howard is not a back but he can help on the pass rush and release if not needed.  He can also be a screen release something not shown by Bama.
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 06:56:03 PM »

I agree.  I would still like to see Ridley wide on one side and Stewart on the other.  You then put Mullaney in the slot.  Split backs in the backfield with Henry and Howard.  I know Howard is not a back but he can help on the pass rush and release if not needed.  He can also be a screen release something not shown by Bama.

I like it!   

Kiffin are you taking notes?   Wink
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 09:05:31 PM »

As always, good job.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 142
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1