Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where does the problem lie with Bama's horrible finish?  (Read 5714 times)
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2015, 06:42:36 PM »

After the spanking that Bama got in the Sugar Bowl, I couldn't help but point a few fingers as to what I thought was the major reason(s) for the loss. There were many but I'm just going to just use the defense and the offense as the two categories to sum it up.

Bama started the season with a new and untested quarterback and a new OC. In most people's minds, the offense would be a total flop this year because of that. But that wasn't the case at all as Lane Kiffen was able to coach up Blake Sims to be a very respectable QB. This is not saying he was an All-American but he had some very good stats for the year. CLK was doing a very good job as the new OC and the offense had really looked pretty good except for the Ole Miss and Arkansas games. As the second half of the season came, the offense was putting up some big numbers and everybody thought that all is well, another National Championship is just down the road.

Now we move over to the defense. Bama lost some big time players to the Pros last season but there seemed to be a lot of experience coming back. In the first half of the season, the defense seemed to be where everyone thought they would be, good but not great. They were giving up a few big plays which most Bama fans aren't used to seeing. The worst big play that was being seen was the completion rate of the long pass against the defense. I for one thought this was just something that could be corrected easily and it would be business as usual in the games to come. Injuries are something that can cripple a team but Bama seemed to have enough depth though to overcome that problem. Bama seemed to be losing at least two starters a game as the season progressed but still they were hanging in there even though they were still giving up the long pass for big gainers or touchdowns.

Then came November with the Iron Bowl against Auburn. We all remember the number of yards the defense gave up against the Tigers in last year's game, rushing and passing. It was something tha Bama fans aren't used to seeing. After losing that game, I think the Bama Nation thought it was just a fluke and they just surprised Alabama and we would show them a thing or two in this years game. Well, they showed us a thing or two in this year's game, it wasn't a fluke as they put up big numbers again on our proud defense. Then came Missouri which most people thought didn't have a prayer against Bama. Again, Missouri put up some big numbers on our proud defense but Bama managed to beat both Auburn and Missouri but it wasn't easy.

Now we get down to the biggest game of the season, Ohio State and Urban Meyer. There is plenty of hatred for each other on both sides and Bama wanted to put another pasting on a Big Ten team. As we had watched all season of Bama giving up the big plays, passing, everyone thought this problem would be corrected and the Bama defense would look like the Bama of old. Wrong, Ohio State not only made the long passes but the Bama defense gave up over 200 yards of rushing to a running back, that is something that is unheard of in Bama football. I'm sure this caused Bear to roll over in his grave.

Now the question is, is the offense the big problem or is it the defense? Bama had a very nice lead in this game, 21-6 only to give it up and lose very badly. I know the offense didn't look the greatest there at the end but was that the real problem Houston, we have a problem
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:45:07 PM by Jamos » Logged

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »

Very thoughtful post J and one that cannot be answered easily.  I would add one aspect of the O, and that is the O-line.  They were inconsistent at best vs. OSU.  You cannot have a strong running game without a consistently good O-line.

But what I always come back to for these big games is CPPB's words:  You win big games with D and the kicking game.  O has to score a sufficient number of points and not do dumb things like throwing pick-sixs; but mainly you gotta keep from loosing before you can win.  Our D gave up too many big plays and as a result too many points.  Obviously kicking game was great and kept us in the game.

Just a little better job by the DB's could have turned two TDs into two FGs at worst.  And if Blake doesn't throw the pick-six...well all that together is a 15 point swing.

For two years we have had weak DBs.  The word is out.  All teams are going to go after our DBs until they start playing better.  Something has to give here or look out. Those of you who have football minds better than mine can comment on how coaches are going about fixing this.

On injuries, both lingering (from the season) and in-game injuries hurt us in the OSU game more than I remember in any single game.  There are limits to how much depth you can have.  Injuries got us this time.
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:09:44 PM »

It is a team sport and you win and lose as a team.  Certainly mistakes were made on both offense and defense, and the team couldn't overcome them.  I wouldn't characterize it as a "horrible finish," as only 4 teams made the playoffs. 

It seems like the D has focused on one weak area, pass rush, only to perhaps neglect another, coverage.  But you can't always predict how H.S. kids are going to pan out or player injuries, and certainly DBs have become a priority in recent recruiting.

I think Kiffin did a great job with the talent available.  I don't quite understand how Bama can be so lacking at a vital position as QB -- OSU seemed to have at least 3 talented, game-ready QBs on the roster.  Hopefully Kiffin can help change the mindset of recruits, that Bama is more than 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.

Anyway, I'm not looking for for "problems," that's the coaches' job.  I'm just anticipating next year.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 11:38:51 PM »

Good discussion.

Two issues I see on defense are the pash rush and one of the corners.  We are getting good pressure with the pass rush, we just need to work on not going past the QB and giving him a lane to squirt through so that he can turn a sure sack into a nice QB scramble run.  Ohio State did that to us several times.  On the corners, we need to have 2 lock-down corners.  Only having one doesn't work because the defense is only as strong as its weakest link.  I have no doubt that EJ played to the best of his ability, which is far superior than any of us on here.  But there was a drop off between CJ and whoever was in the game on the other side.  When that happens, it gives the offense a chink in the armor that they can exploit if they have the players to do so.  Hopefully Tony Brown and Marlon Humphrey can both develop into lock-down corners next year.

On the offense, the biggest problem I saw was not taking care of the football.  Blake didn't have too many interceptions, but the ones he had were very costly.  Everyone has got to do a better job of securing the football.  The reason they fumble is because they are not using the proper technique.  This goes for fumbles on special teams too.  I held my breath every time we went back to field a punt or receive a kickoff.  I don't know how to solve that problem.  I do know the players are taught the proper technique for carrying the ball (and it is not the chicken wing dance).  But when they get in the game some of them fall back on old habits and flail their arm around with a total disregard for ball security.  I also hated it when Blake would palm the ball in one hand like it was a basket he was carrying to grandmother's house.  Luckily that one did not come back to haunt us though.

In the end, we were putting up plenty enough points to win games.  But when the defense is giving up a lot of points, and then the offense decides to join in and give up some points when we have the ball, that is very difficult to overcome.

The team overachieved in my opinion, so I can't really complain.  Losing a game or two when we clearly are not as good as we would like to be doesn't really frustrate me.  What I hate is when we are the best team on the field and manage to lose the game (like 2011 LSU, 2012 aTm, 2013 Auburn).  I don't think we had that particular issue this year.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 06:04:04 AM »

The team overachieved in my opinion, so I can't really complain.  Losing a game or two when we clearly are not as good as we would like to be doesn't really frustrate me.  What I hate is when we are the best team on the field and manage to lose the game (like 2011 LSU, 2012 aTm, 2013 Auburn).  I don't think we had that particular issue this year.

Still too painful to discuss in detail, but I want to acknowledge and thank you all for comments.  I agree with SC's closing paragraph (above).  We were fortunate to beat LSU, and a loss to them would have ended our season's goals.  We might have spiraled down after that.

So, I'm grateful and pleased that we finished 12-2, won the SEC, and beat the Aubs.  It was an exciting and fun year.

Now 'ON TO RECRUITING'!

N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 06:55:03 AM »

...The team overachieved in my opinion, so I can't really complain.  Losing a game or two when we clearly are not as good as we would like to be doesn't really frustrate me.  What I hate is when we are the best team on the field and manage to lose the game (like 2011 LSU, 2012 aTm, 2013 Auburn).  I don't think we had that particular issue this year.
I would also like to add the loss to Awbren in 2010 to your list of losses were Bama was the better team on the field.  Remember how much Bama was leading by at the half?

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
Scott-YHK
gilmer

E-Cred: 24

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »

I see it as a combination of poor play, or at least lapses, on both sides of the ball. Defense gave up too many big plays. And, at times the offense didn't help the defense at all (3 and outs, not sustaining drives, etc.)

Blake Sims played better than I expected. I believe, in large part, that achievement is due to Kiffin tailoring the offense to his strengths. I would have liked to have seen more balance in the passing game. I understand you want to get the ball in the hands of your studs...but, surely we have other, more than capable, playmakers at receiver than #9.

Defensively, I think there was better pressure provided by the line than in recent past. But, defensive backs with ball skills appeared to be lacking on the whole.

roll tide roll
Grad Student

E-Cred: 1332

roll tide roll

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 12:22:27 PM »

Not to be simplistic, but a generally a team that has 3 ints, gives up almost 300 yds rushing, and is 15% on 3rd down conversions loses.

I was concerned about this game long before it was played.  I never believed that a BAMA victory was imminent.  People forget that osu was something like 35 - 1 coming into this game.

After BAMA's performances against boogerU and Mizzou and then watching osu's domination of a good Wisconsin team I felt that BAMA had a 50/50 shot at best.  Their strengths were our weaknesses.

That being said, beating ut, uf, au, winning the regular season championship, winning the conference championship, and playing for the national championship is a good year by any measure.

ROLL TIDE, anyway.
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »

My biggest concern of the team is the defense, that's what wins championships. Fundamentally Bama looked lost in the last three games, something that this team isn't known for. Hopefully the reason was injuries and fatigue but I think there may be more to it than that. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 02:47:32 PM »

After a bit of consideration I have decided the blame for our horrible finish this year belongs squarely on the shoulders of Vinnie Sunseri.  I propose that if he had come back for this year that osu's qb would NOT have been able to scramble like he did.  That, and we would have Landon Collins for next season...  Cool

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 03:17:28 PM »

After a bit of consideration I have decided the blame for our horrible finish this year belongs squarely on the shoulders of Vinnie Sunseri.  I propose that if he had come back for this year that osu's qb would NOT have been able to scramble like he did.  That, and we would have Landon Collins for next season...  Cool

We need a tongue-in-cheek emoticon.

Tinfoil Hat

roll tide roll
Grad Student

E-Cred: 1332

roll tide roll

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 06:17:04 PM »

My biggest concern of the team is the defense, that's what wins championships. 

My ears in T-town hearing Smart is gone.

O sells tickets, D wins championships.
Bamaphile
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 3183

Bamaphile

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 07:00:04 PM »

My ears in T-town hearing Smart is gone.

Shocked  Where to?   
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 03:39:18 AM »

...The team overachieved in my opinion, so I can't really complain.  Losing a game or two when we clearly are not as good as we would like to be doesn't really frustrate me.  What I hate is when we are the best team on the field and manage to lose the game (like 2011 LSU, 2012 aTm, 2013 Auburn).  I don't think we had that particular issue this year.
I would also like to add the loss to Awbren in 2010 to your list of losses were Bama was the better team on the field.  Remember how much Bama was leading by at the half?

Indeed.  How did I leave that one off the list? 

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 03:41:03 AM »

I see it as a combination of poor play, or at least lapses, on both sides of the ball. Defense gave up too many big plays. And, at times the offense didn't help the defense at all (3 and outs, not sustaining drives, etc.)

Blake Sims played better than I expected. I believe, in large part, that achievement is due to Kiffin tailoring the offense to his strengths. I would have liked to have seen more balance in the passing game. I understand you want to get the ball in the hands of your studs...but, surely we have other, more than capable, playmakers at receiver than #9.

Defensively, I think there was better pressure provided by the line than in recent past. But, defensive backs with ball skills appeared to be lacking on the whole.

Good assessment and first post.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:54:33 AM by SUPERCOACH » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 178
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0