Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: AU vs Bama  (Read 6563 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »

First:   First congrats to the Bama team for the victory.  As you saw this was a game of two different halves.  The Bama coaches did a good job at half to make adjustments.  I thought CLK called a very good game and put Bama in great position to be successful.

Offense:  The offense put up 539 yards of offense and it seemed as if they could do whatever they wanted.  They had 8 negative plays, 4 tackles for losses, 1 sack, and the 3 interceptions.  Every time Bama got into the red zone they put a TD on the board.  They also had 3 touchdowns from outside the red zone.  Bama had 7 possessions in the 2nd half.  The first was an interception, but then they went on to score 5 straight touchdowns.  The last was the greatest play in football, the victory kneel down, so really Bama scored on 5 out of 6 possessions.  Bama only had 1 three and out as well as 2 one and outs and a 2 and out because of interceptions.   All three of the turnovers led to points, 17 total.   Bama had 6 runs of 10+ yards and 11 passes of 10+ yards.  They also converted on both 4th down plays they attempted.   In the second half Bama put up 345 yards of offense. 

QB:  If you could take away the 3 int’s then Blake played a heck of a game.  I will say, according to my stats,   he was 10 out of 12 and 3 touchdowns after the 3rd int.  One of those plays he had a wide open rec who slipped as the ball was getting there.  As far as the interceptions, 2 were bad decisions and 1 was an overthrow.  One the one where he threw late to Jones, I thought Jones quit on his route and could have done more to break up the pass.  I think he thought the ball was going to AC and didn’t expect the ball.   

RB:  I thought they played well and ran hard.  TJY looked like he was moving like his old self.  In my opinion, DH ran pissed off after he got into the game late and wanted to play a little more.  I also know he was fresh and the AU defense was tired by this time.   DH also made a big block on a roll out pass that help convert a third down play.  JF had a very good game, he did miss a block, that caused one tackle for loss, but that was about his only flaw. 

REC:  They caught the ball well and they were blocking downfield when the running back broke the line of scrimmage.  I noticed that Bama put 80 in the game when they wanted to crack the end man or LB on outside running plays. 

OL:   I thought they played very well.  They were getting to the second level and had some very good combo blocks.  I know AS missed his block on one of the tackles for loss, it was the option play that could have been big if that block had been made. It forced the 3 and out instead of a first down.  I really thought AS played well when he moved to the left tackle position.  Also, I thought AK had a big game and played extremely well. 

Defense:  As much yardage as they gave up they still won the game with their red zone play.  Also, I have to mention what a great job the coaches did matching the offensive packages AU was running on and off the field.   AU got into the red zone 8 times.  They got 2 touchdowns, one of which was late when the game was over.  Five times they had to kick field goals and once they came away with no points.   They gave up 7 running plays for 10+ yards and 13 pass plays for 10+ yards, 6 of which were for over 30.  Personally, I thought one as an interception, but the officials didn’t see it that way.  They only had 1 three and out.  The big difference was the 2nd half yardage.  Bama gave up 628 total yards and 383 of that were in the 1st half.  In the second half, Bama gave up only 201 yards passing and 44 rushing.  Now you take away that last 65 yard diver because they didn’t want to give anything up in a hurry and they played a good game.  Bama had 7 tackles for losses, 3 sacks, 1 int, and 1 fumble recovery. 

DL:  I thought they played well most of the night.  There were at least 3 times when they allowed the running back/QB to break contain.  One of these led to a 3 and 10 conversion.   They did a good job adjusting to the unbalanced formations AU threw at them, especially in the red zone. 

LB:  In my opinion, TD had a very good game.  He as playing sideline to sideline, especially with all the processing he had to do with the motion and fakes that AU uses.  RR also played well, but I thought that TD was everywhere.

DB:  They attacked EJ.   This game also showed how much harder it is to cover when they don’t pressure the QB.  In my opinion, EJ allowed the rec to get on him too much before he turned his hips to run with him.  If you wait too long you are burned.  He also was looking back at the ball too long and you could see how that caused separation.  I thought BS came in and did a pretty good job.  In my opinion he had the ball more than the rec when they gave AU the catch.  It seemed like they stayed away from CJ side most of the night.  I really thought the safeties did a very good job on run support.  Honestly Bama was in position a couple of times, but just didn’t make the play.  I have to say AU’s rec DW is a very good player. 

Penalties: Bama had 5, but two were declined.  The good news is the offensive penalties they overcame and scored anyway.

Special teams:   I don’t know what happened on the first kickoff.  AG hit that just like it was an onside kick.  However, I don’t know if anyone else was on the same page.  Most of the special teams were good.  There was a blocked PAT that came right up the middle.  There was also some miscommunication on a short kick off.  CJ had a good punt return and a good kickoff return giving Bama good field position. 

Finally:    It may not have been as pretty as we wanted it to be but it was a decisive win for Bama.    I do have a question.  Does it seem to others that the Bama players slip more than other teams?

Please feel free to comment.

Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll 
15 and counting
Merk
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3915

Merk

ROLL TIDE!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 12:43:28 PM »

Great analysis as always, coach. To your question about players slipping more than other players. Could it be our guys are using shorter cleats in an attempt to limit injury?

Thanks again!

"Son, we're Alabama. We don't play second fiddlle to anyone". ~Friday Night Lights
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »

Great analysis as always, coach. To your question about players slipping more than other players. Could it be our guys are using shorter cleats in an attempt to limit injury?

Thanks again!

That is exactly what I was thinking.  Also, faster player with shorter cleats.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 01:45:01 PM »

Thanks, coach!  Great analysis as always.  ROLL TIDE!!!  and BEAT MISSOURI!!!

Any thoughts on the SEC championship game coach?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »

Thanks, coach!  Great analysis as always.  ROLL TIDE!!!  and BEAT MISSOURI!!!

Any thoughts on the SEC championship game coach?

Not really.  I haven't watched Missouri very much.  I do know Bama is going to have to eliminate those big plays
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 04:26:51 PM »

I wonder if Colin Cowherd still thinks Gus is the best coach in the state of Alabama?
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »

Great breakdown coach.  I was pretty much relaxed going into this game.  By halftime I was thinking that we might just not win though.  I said after the turnover plagued game against the Gators that if we turned the ball over 3 times against the other SEC teams that we would lose.  I'm really surprised that we gave up three interceptions and still won.  Pleasantly surprised...  Applause E-Cred

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 06:16:18 PM »

I wonder if Colin Cowherd still thinks Gus is the best coach in the state of Alabama?

BLOOM!  I hope someone asks him.  Applause E-Cred

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 08:19:25 PM »

Coach, you've outdone yourself. The score was 55-44, so there was an enormous amount of stuff to break down, and you did it thoroughly. Kudos!!!
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »

hscoach, I do think Bama slips quite a bit. I am wondering if BDS is overseeded with rye grass for a green field. That stuff is as slick as a peeled onion. I would rather they just let the field go brown and have a better playing surface.

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 08:23:07 AM »

hscoach, I do think Bama slips quite a bit. I am wondering if BDS is overseeded with rye grass for a green field. That stuff is as slick as a peeled onion. I would rather they just let the field go brown and have a better playing surface.

I agree the rye grass is slippery.  However they seem to slip at other stadiums also. 
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 08:41:17 AM »

I agree about the rye grass.  Dumb to over-seed a field with that.
I remember a discussion about this during bowl games.  Lots of criticism about it back then.

Banging your head against the wall.

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 12:09:45 PM »

Something I also meant to mention.  The announcers kept talking about the pace of AU's offense and when it was going to take a toll on Bama.  I don't really remember seeing players with their hands on their hips and showing extreme tiredness.  This is attributed to the depth Bama has recruited.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 12:57:07 PM »

Something I also meant to mention.  The announcers kept talking about the pace of AU's offense and when it was going to take a toll on Bama.  I don't really remember seeing players with their hands on their hips and showing extreme tiredness.  This is attributed to the depth Bama has recruited.

.... and the LONG commercial breaks!   

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 01:18:33 PM »

.... and the LONG commercial breaks!   

When you are popular people want to advertise and the network wants to make that money.   Don't hate us because we are loved.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 124
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Posts
Re: Spring FB Transfer Portal by pmull
[Today at 08:57:46 AM]

Re: Spring FB Transfer Portal by ricky023
[Today at 08:12:47 AM]

Re: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD*** by ricky023
[Today at 08:11:06 AM]

Spring FB Transfer Portal by McBaman
[Yesterday at 09:39:24 PM]

Re: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD*** by 2Stater
[Yesterday at 01:53:30 PM]

Re: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD*** by Chechem
[Yesterday at 01:45:00 PM]

Re: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD*** by 2Stater
[Yesterday at 01:42:51 PM]

Re: College Hoops Fans React to John Calipari Reportedly Leaving Kentucky for Arkans by ricky023
[Yesterday at 10:21:06 AM]

Re: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD*** by ricky023
[Yesterday at 10:18:30 AM]

Re: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD*** by SUPERCOACH
[Yesterday at 08:34:49 AM]

More

* New Members
  • Dot Wsimpson174 - 30 Apr
  • Dot tzadick - 14 Nov
  • Dot debtidefan - 11 Jan
  • Dot OneOfTheIV - 30 Jul
  • Dot mepboy - 02 Dec