Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where does this Bama team rank in comparison to past championship teams?  (Read 7444 times)
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2014, 07:00:38 AM »

After a night of pacing the floor, changing positions in the recliner, yelling at the televison with the correct advice for the players and coaches and then trying to get my heart rate down, I awoke this morning with a good feeling and wondering just how the heck they won the game last night.

If the first half of the game was going to be the indicator for the outcome of the game last night, Bama didn't have a chance of winning. Auburn was making big plays after big plays and Bama seemed to be just hanging on for that last gasp of air. Naturally sitting in front of the television it was easy to use the "hind sight rule" when I yelled at the players and coaches. Unlike in years past, Mrs. J and I chose to let our kids use our tickets anymore as we have seen so many games over the years and now enjoy watching the kids have all the fun that we had but I sure had second thoughts about this decision at kickoff.

My question now is just where does this team rank in comparison with all of the championship teams of years past? Alabama gave up 44 points last night, an unheard number when you look at all the teams of past championships and how they won them, it was with the defense. I'm guessing that Bear Bryant was turning over and over in his casket last night as the team gave up big play after big play. This is something that Bama couldn't do and win those games in years past but yet we watched them actually do it last night. Does this mean that old dogs can learn new tricks and my answer to that is yes they can.

All of us Alabama fans need now to accept the fact that these new offenses have changed college football to a big degree in what role the defenses play anymore. I'm not saying that the defenses won't have a major role anymore but them holding team scores down to the single digits won't be happening as much as they did in past years as we witnessed last night.

With all of that being said, how do we rank this team against the past Alabama championship teams. They gave up 44 points to Auburn but yet they won by scoring 55 points. I still have to give the defense a lot of credit in the second half as they gave up more big plays and tons of yardage but they made the big stops when they had to, this is what championship caliber teams do. These new offenses are so complicated to read and defend against that teams now must find a way to minimize the opponents scoring in some way but have an offense that can put up lots of points. This is what Alabama did last night and it's the new era of football, professional and college. I think this team is a good team with a different look but as good as those championship teams in years past, they find a way win. They made the big plays when they had to on both sides of the ball and beat a very good team last night, nuff said.It's something we all need to get used to watching and enjoy because the times have changed. Roll Tide!!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:02:11 PM by Jamos » Logged

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:12:36 AM »

If you had told me that we would give the barn 600+ yards and three turnovers and still win I would have petitioned a judge to have you committed to the psych ward... Amazing play for our boys.   Applause E-Cred

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 07:25:40 AM »

I am certainly glad we won the game but I am not happy about the way we played. I will withhold judgement regarding where this team compares to past championship teams until they win a championship.

I will be in Atlanta next week for the SECCG where I expect Alabama to play much better.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 07:42:50 AM »

I am certainly glad we won the game but I am not happy about the way we played. I will withhold judgement regarding where this team compares to past championship teams until they win a championship.

I will be in Atlanta next week for the SECCG where I expect Alabama to play much better.

Let's just hope there isn't a letdown after such a big win. Of course, that was a big win for Mizzou, too. The fans stormed the field after their game.

This team is obviously not as talented defensively as most other Bama championship caliber teams, mostly due to the CB play. It was much more difficult last night because Auburn's receivers were big, fast and talented. Our CB's are fast and small, and Eddie got torched last night.

Having said that, this team has something special. They know how to come back when the chips are down. Coop will go down as one of the greatest players ever to put on a Crimson jersey. Sims will always be remembered as the QB that overcame adversity and deficits, to bring us to victory when all looked lost.

I can see right now that I am going to have to invest in a defibrillator to ride out the rest of the year, but I think it will be money well spent.
bamaphil
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2962

bamaphil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 08:13:03 AM »

This team reminds me a lot of the 2009 team - an imperfect team that has found ways to win.  I think without the rash of injuries against Ole Miss this team would be undefeated. 

2009 is my favorite Bama team, this one is a close second regardless of what happens the next 2-3 games.
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »

single coverage on Coop and CLK raising the touchdown signal before the ball was even thrown on one of his TD's ?

I was like ...
"We Going to the Ship Boys"

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:01:25 AM by XBAMA » Logged

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 08:37:08 AM »

I got the same feeling last night as I did when Mt. Cody blocked those two kicks ...

these guys have it too .... THE "Refuse to Lose"

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2045

ALTideUp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 09:21:07 AM »

I think that last night revealed an aspect of this team that might be easy to overlook - strength/conditioning and recruiting. In past championship years we relied on incredible defensive skill to keep the other offense off the field, and keep our defense well rested. In the era of HUNH offenses the D is on the field more, playing more plays etc. It is more of a bend, don't break, hold em in the redone approach. I do not believe that any of our previous teams had the conditioning or depth among the D line and LBs to withstand the offensive onslaught that Bama faced last night and end up with a W. Not only did our D "last" last night, they appeared to get even stronger as the game wore on. Our red zone D was awesome.

"When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro"

Hunter S. Thompson
ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2045

ALTideUp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 09:26:51 AM »

single coverage on Coop and CLK raising the touchdown signal before the ball was even thrown on one of his TD's ?

I was like ...

This may be the most swag-tastic thing that happens in college football this year.  Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

"When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro"

Hunter S. Thompson
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 11:09:27 AM »

I was like ...

I saw this TD was coming before the snap.  Auburn was playing the run all the way, stopping Yeldon, and Cooper had single coverage.   
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 11:12:09 AM »

Great post Jamos. 

This team might not have the most pure talent compared to past teams, but it has something better, heart.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 11:14:10 AM »

J, I didn't even read this yet and I already put it on the front page because I know it is going to be good.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »

I think that last night revealed an aspect of this team that might be easy to overlook - strength/conditioning and recruiting. In past championship years we relied on incredible defensive skill to keep the other offense off the field, and keep our defense well rested. In the era of HUNH offenses the D is on the field more, playing more plays etc. It is more of a bend, don't break, hold em in the redone approach. I do not believe that any of our previous teams had the conditioning or depth among the D line and LBs to withstand the offensive onslaught that Bama faced last night and end up with a W. Not only did our D "last" last night, they appeared to get even stronger as the game wore on. Our red zone D was awesome.

This is an excellent point that you make about conditioning and depth on the defense.  There was another game earlier this year (LSU maybe?) where I was very impressed that our defense held up after way too many plays on the field.  I found myself questioning at half time if our defense had it in them to do that again.  I thought we would score points on them eventually, but I just didn't know if our defense could hold up to 60 minutes of that onslaught and keep us in the game.  They did, and they answered my question with a resounding "YES"!

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »

I will have to say that 2011 was the best team by far.  The LSU team from that year is one of the best to ever step on the field in college football.  We dominated them in the championship game, and should have beaten them the first time.  As we all know, and was demonstrated last night, a simultaneous catch goes to the receiver.  Not to mention a catch that is stolen after the player was already tackled and laying on the ground on his back.

Old Tider
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 1634

Old Tider

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 11:40:44 AM »

In eight years coach Saban has given us six 11-win seasons.

Bama has now scored in the first half in 101 straight games, a national record. And scored in 181 straight games, a school record.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 163
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Posts
Alabama loses James Brockermeyer to the transfer portal in a surprise departure by ricky023
[Today at 03:46:52 PM]

Re: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD*** by ricky023
[Today at 06:31:29 AM]

[Yesterday at 04:29:59 PM]

Re: Spring FB Transfer Portal by ricky023
[Yesterday at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Spring FB Transfer Portal by McBaman
[April 22, 2024, 07:11:43 PM]

Re: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD*** by 2Stater
[April 22, 2024, 12:43:12 PM]