Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes Bama vs LSU  (Read 13728 times)
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »

I have got to add this.  Bama did an outstanding job on the running game of LSU.  They had 186 yards on 56 carries.  I know this counts, but take away about 30 yards on QB scrambles which leaves you 156 yards on 53 carries.  This breaks down to 2.9 yards per carry against a 230 lb running back led by a 250 lb fullback.  I also didn't count, but I understand Reed had about 15 tackles that night.

And Reggie Ragland had 13!

Click here for link

Peewee from Grand Bay
Junior

E-Cred: 1491

Peewee from Grand Bay

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2014, 08:32:27 AM »

First:   First congrats to the Bama team for the victory.  This was a tough battle on both side of the ball.  This was big boy football.   

Offense:  The offense struggled most of the night.  They only had one long drive during the game which ended with a missed field goal.  They had seven 3 and outs.    Bama only ran 16 plays in the 2nd half until the 9 play drive to tie up the game.  They put together only 315 yards of offense.   The offense only had 4 running plays for 10+ yards.  They did have 10 pass plays of over 10 yards, but most of those were throw under 10 yard and the yardage was made after the catch.  Bama’s offense only got into the red zone three times and one of those was in overtime. The positive beside the win, is Bama only had 4 negative plays last night; two were tackles for losses, one was a sack where Cooper was blocking instead of running a route, and the big fumble which allowed LSU to take the lead.   It looked like they didn’t communicate well on offense.

QB:  Blake did not make some throws in this game, but did make the plays in the last 50 seconds and in overtime for Bama to tie and ultimately win the game. Sims missed some big balls which were underthrown and a few passes were behind his rec but some still made the catch.   He was not helped by 4 drops which I will address later.  It looked at times he wasn’t keeping his eyes downfield. 

RB:  They ran hard in very little space.  The LSU players hit them hard and often.  If you watched when they were pass blocking, which they did a pretty good job, they were getting jacked.  One big play not made was the pass to TJY who had a lot of open field to work with.

REC:  There were some opportunities here but plays weren’t made.  I do think LSU got away with a couple of pass interference calls that were not made.  I had Cooper for 3 drops.  I also didn’t think White ran some routes well or didn’t think he was getting the ball.  The good thing here is more rec got involved in the game.

OL:  They did a good job pass blocking but never really established dominance in the running game.  The line did get a push a couple of time,

Defense:  They only gave up 259 yards.   They had 6 tackles for losses, 2 sacks, and 1 interception.   They had 4 three and outs, but one of those was because of the interception.   They did lose contain a couple of time but overall played well.  The biggest plays the LSU had were when the QB scrambled.  The QB ran for 40 yards and most of that was on 3 scrambling plays.  They did have some substitution problems early, but seem to get them worked out.  In the game, LSU had 6 runs for 10+ yards and 4 passes for 10+ yards. 

DL:  Against the big physical offense the DL held their own.  The only problem was they lost contain a couple of times, and when they rushed the QB they got too far up the field allowing a lane for the QB to escape.

LB:   RR again a very good game.  He had at least 8 tackles in the first half alone.   TD also played pretty well, but RR is the one that seems to stand out each week. 

DB:  They played a solid game.  One of the best plays of the night was on the 3rd play of the game when LSU ran the option.  Collins got cut and still got up to make the play. 

Penalties: Bama had 3 penalties in the game.  They overcame every one of them which is a plus. 

Special teams:   Scott did a good job in the clutch flipping the field. 

Finally:  This game was a battle.  It is what we have come to expect in these games.  I do think Bama needs to be more balanced on offense.  They threw the ball 46 times and ran 29.   

Please feel free to comment.

Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll 
15 and counting

Sorry for the delay in responding to hs coach's analysis but had some issues going on.

First another great analysis by hs coach, and a hard fought victory for our boys in Death Valley!!
This was almost a carbon copy of the game two years ago. We all knew that LSU would be big time fired up for this game!! This makes four in a row including the 2011 NC game that we have defeated them. They came out out very physical and had a determined state of mind to win this game.

Offense: They did struggle for the biggest portion of the game due to the amount of noise making it hard to hear. They did not really get the push that was needed to open up the run game either. They did fairly well on the pass blocking all night. This week will be another huge challenge for them.

QB: Blake did not have a great game but he he had a solid game with no turn overs, he missed a few throws but also with the uncharacteristic drops by Amari & company did not help him but when it came down to the nitty gritty and we had to drive the ball down the field he made the plays that were needed to put us in position to tie the game and ultimately win the game in OT.

RB: They did not have a lot of space to run in but when they did they made the most of it. I am not sure that TJY was at his best for the game and the injury at the end of the game that resulted in the fumble does not help him recover from it. So it could be that we are in line for a big dose of Derrick Henry this week!!

REC: Again not their best game but when plays had to be made they were there. Coop's drops were not like him at all and hurt us when they happened. But what about the big catch made by Green in OT?? Totally out of the blue right there!! But I was very proud of the way the offense responded after the PF against Leon Brown that backed us up after it was First and Goal from the 1 yard line!! The pass play to score the winning TD was run to perfection by D White & company and it was a Great Pass that was on the money by Blake.

OL: Nothing else needed to say except as I mentioned above they have another huge challenge this week and must step up and give the RB's a little room to run the ball!!

Defense: This group stepped up to the big challenge of shutting down the run game and did just that. LSU hit a couple of descent runs but no huge run or pass plays!! 

DL: They had a mighty task for the game and performed very well imo. For the most part of the game the shut their running attack down and between RR & JR they combined for 28 tackles!!

LB: Another very solid game turned in by RR & TD. RR has become a force for us and only gets better and better with each game he plays!!

DB: What can you say about these guys!! They had a very solid game and made the plays at the end to secure the win for us!!! Congrats to this group!! They have made a lot of progress in the last couple of weeks and I hope they continue to do so!!

Penalties: The PF on Leon Brown in OT could have easily cost us the game but the offense rose up to the occasion and moved the ball back down to the goal line to set up the game winning pass.

Special Teams: JK Scott did not have the booming punts that we have come accustomed to but he had good ones that help flip the field position. Adam Griffin did miss his first attempt of the night but made the big one when we had to have!!!

Final Thoughts: This was pure smash mouth football that we all love and want to see!! Very physical all night long as we expected it to be. But we get no reprieve this week as MS St. comes to call and we are in for another very tough and physical game!! Bottom line this week is we need to run the ball!!

Please let me know what yall think.

Roll Tide!!!!

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2014, 08:45:30 AM »

We do, indeed, need to run the ball against Miss St. The OL has got to be able to find the push needed to spring the RB's.

Having said that, I think we will be pass heavy again, since the Miss St DB's are vulnerable. I bet Coop doesn't drop any this weekend!  Cheesy
roll tide roll
Grad Student

E-Cred: 1332

roll tide roll

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »

To me the lack of offensive balance is what stands out the most from this game.

I have two theories:
1) Kiffin persuades Saban to let him run a game plan that Kiffin schemed for lsu
2) Lack of depth at RB and known issue with Yeldon forced BAMA to pass more and run less

My guess is #2.

Good to get a win.

Also, BAMA averaged 3.7yds/carry and 10.5yards/pass.

That is generally considered a pretty good day.

My question is if and know it is a big if, don't you think the game would have changed if Bama had hit a few of those passes and not had the drops?  A couple of those drops coulld have gone for big gains.  Also, AC almost made a big difficult catch on one fade, if they had just hit on a couple of those then I think LSU changes their coverage and opens up the running game more. On the fade to DW the defender grabbed his hand if the PI had been called things could have changed. 

I have no problem with an unbalanced offense.  It is a departure from the norm.

I 100% agree that if BAMA start hitting passes early then the defense backs off the line and out of the box and running lanes become wider and the backs would have more space.

However, Yeldon is/was still injured and that would still limit his production, but when the running lanes open they open for all RBs.

Yeah, that early PI no call against lsu would have made things different.

The same way that late PI no call against BAMA would have made things different.

The tigers have been whipped.  Now on to the bulldogs.

roll tide roll
Grad Student

E-Cred: 1332

roll tide roll

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2014, 09:42:23 AM »

We do, indeed, need to run the ball against Miss St. The OL has got to be able to find the push needed to spring the RB's.

Having said that, I think we will be pass heavy again, since the Miss St DB's are vulnerable. I bet Coop doesn't drop any this weekend!  Cheesy

How about more Brandon Greene?

Everybody, except the secondary, likes a 300# 6'5" TE.  He has some speed for a big guy.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2014, 09:55:30 AM »

How about more Brandon Greene?

Everybody, except the secondary, likes a 300# 6'5" TE.  He has some speed for a big guy.

I bet State spends some time this week going over formations and who is eligible to catch a pass.  That's time they could be spending on something else.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2014, 11:32:18 AM »

First:   First congrats to the Bama team for the victory.  This was a tough battle on both side of the ball.  This was big boy football.   

Offense:  The offense struggled most of the night.  They only had one long drive during the game which ended with a missed field goal.  They had seven 3 and outs.    Bama only ran 16 plays in the 2nd half until the 9 play drive to tie up the game.  They put together only 315 yards of offense.   The offense only had 4 running plays for 10+ yards.  They did have 10 pass plays of over 10 yards, but most of those were throw under 10 yard and the yardage was made after the catch.  Bama’s offense only got into the red zone three times and one of those was in overtime. The positive beside the win, is Bama only had 4 negative plays last night; two were tackles for losses, one was a sack where Cooper was blocking instead of running a route, and the big fumble which allowed LSU to take the lead.   It looked like they didn’t communicate well on offense.

QB:  Blake did not make some throws in this game, but did make the plays in the last 50 seconds and in overtime for Bama to tie and ultimately win the game. Sims missed some big balls which were underthrown and a few passes were behind his rec but some still made the catch.   He was not helped by 4 drops which I will address later.  It looked at times he wasn’t keeping his eyes downfield. 

RB:  They ran hard in very little space.  The LSU players hit them hard and often.  If you watched when they were pass blocking, which they did a pretty good job, they were getting jacked.  One big play not made was the pass to TJY who had a lot of open field to work with.

REC:  There were some opportunities here but plays weren’t made.  I do think LSU got away with a couple of pass interference calls that were not made.  I had Cooper for 3 drops.  I also didn’t think White ran some routes well or didn’t think he was getting the ball.  The good thing here is more rec got involved in the game.

OL:  They did a good job pass blocking but never really established dominance in the running game.  The line did get a push a couple of time,

Defense:  They only gave up 259 yards.   They had 6 tackles for losses, 2 sacks, and 1 interception.   They had 4 three and outs, but one of those was because of the interception.   They did lose contain a couple of time but overall played well.  The biggest plays the LSU had were when the QB scrambled.  The QB ran for 40 yards and most of that was on 3 scrambling plays.  They did have some substitution problems early, but seem to get them worked out.  In the game, LSU had 6 runs for 10+ yards and 4 passes for 10+ yards. 

DL:  Against the big physical offense the DL held their own.  The only problem was they lost contain a couple of times, and when they rushed the QB they got too far up the field allowing a lane for the QB to escape.

LB:   RR again a very good game.  He had at least 8 tackles in the first half alone.   TD also played pretty well, but RR is the one that seems to stand out each week. 

DB:  They played a solid game.  One of the best plays of the night was on the 3rd play of the game when LSU ran the option.  Collins got cut and still got up to make the play. 

Penalties: Bama had 3 penalties in the game.  They overcame every one of them which is a plus. 

Special teams:   Scott did a good job in the clutch flipping the field. 

Finally:  This game was a battle.  It is what we have come to expect in these games.  I do think Bama needs to be more balanced on offense.  They threw the ball 46 times and ran 29.   

Please feel free to comment.

Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll 
15 and counting

Sorry for the delay in responding to hs coach's analysis but had some issues going on.

First another great analysis by hs coach, and a hard fought victory for our boys in Death Valley!!
This was almost a carbon copy of the game two years ago. We all knew that LSU would be big time fired up for this game!! This makes four in a row including the 2011 NC game that we have defeated them. They came out out very physical and had a determined state of mind to win this game.

Offense: They did struggle for the biggest portion of the game due to the amount of noise making it hard to hear. They did not really get the push that was needed to open up the run game either. They did fairly well on the pass blocking all night. This week will be another huge challenge for them.

QB: Blake did not have a great game but he he had a solid game with no turn overs, he missed a few throws but also with the uncharacteristic drops by Amari & company did not help him but when it came down to the nitty gritty and we had to drive the ball down the field he made the plays that were needed to put us in position to tie the game and ultimately win the game in OT.

RB: They did not have a lot of space to run in but when they did they made the most of it. I am not sure that TJY was at his best for the game and the injury at the end of the game that resulted in the fumble does not help him recover from it. So it could be that we are in line for a big dose of Derrick Henry this week!!

REC: Again not their best game but when plays had to be made they were there. Coop's drops were not like him at all and hurt us when they happened. But what about the big catch made by Green in OT?? Totally out of the blue right there!! But I was very proud of the way the offense responded after the PF against Leon Brown that backed us up after it was First and Goal from the 1 yard line!! The pass play to score the winning TD was run to perfection by D White & company and it was a Great Pass that was on the money by Blake.

OL: Nothing else needed to say except as I mentioned above they have another huge challenge this week and must step up and give the RB's a little room to run the ball!!

Defense: This group stepped up to the big challenge of shutting down the run game and did just that. LSU hit a couple of descent runs but no huge run or pass plays!! 

DL: They had a mighty task for the game and performed very well imo. For the most part of the game the shut their running attack down and between RR & JR they combined for 28 tackles!!

LB: Another very solid game turned in by RR & TD. RR has become a force for us and only gets better and better with each game he plays!!

DB: What can you say about these guys!! They had a very solid game and made the plays at the end to secure the win for us!!! Congrats to this group!! They have made a lot of progress in the last couple of weeks and I hope they continue to do so!!

Penalties: The PF on Leon Brown in OT could have easily cost us the game but the offense rose up to the occasion and moved the ball back down to the goal line to set up the game winning pass.

Special Teams: JK Scott did not have the booming punts that we have come accustomed to but he had good ones that help flip the field position. Adam Griffin did miss his first attempt of the night but made the big one when we had to have!!!

Final Thoughts: This was pure smash mouth football that we all love and want to see!! Very physical all night long as we expected it to be. But we get no reprieve this week as MS St. comes to call and we are in for another very tough and physical game!! Bottom line this week is we need to run the ball!!

Please let me know what yall think.

Roll Tide!!!!

Was getting a little worried about you.  Thanks for your input.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 207
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0