Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Bama have to change..  (Read 4507 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:06:31 AM »

Will they have to change the type of players they are recruiting to handle qb's like Johnny Football?  I know they have been successful, but will they need more people on the edge like JC from USCe?
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 10:17:11 AM »

Will they have to change the type of players they are recruiting to handle qb's like Johnny Football?  I know they have been successful, but will they need more people on the edge like JC from USCe?
You are the X and O guy, HSC, but haven't we done a good job of containing everyone except for being a little flat (tired) against JF?

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »

Saban tried to recruit Clowney, he would try to recruit anyone with that talent. 

I was surprised with the TAMU game that they jumped out to a 20 point lead.  That could be a scheme problem, failing to contain, but Saban has faced mobile QBs before and contained them, so I suspect it was a team tired after fighting LSU the prior Saturday.  It couldn't have been a surprise, JF burned Florida and LSU early in those games too.  Maybe the players underestimated his speed, I don't know, but he also hit some really tight passes.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:52:34 AM »

Yo
u are the X and O guy, HSC, but haven't we done a good job of containing everyone except for being a little flat (tired) against JF?

One, I do think they caught Bama at the right time after LSU.  Also, they have done a good job with mobile QB's, however, this is the most versitile one they have ever faced.  He not only run, but also throws well.  I think Bama will have to do a better job on the edge as well as put better cover/run support guys in, like where VS was playing.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »

I think the team was just a little flat to start that game after the emotional victory at the house of our old nemesis, LSU.

The offense also struggled in the 1st Qtr, and that had nothing to do with JF.  If either the offense puts together one TD drive -OR- the defense gets one stop in that 1st Qtr, we win that game.  Sadly neither happened.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:25 AM »

I think the team was just a little flat to start that game after the emotional victory at the house of our old nemesis, LSU.

The offense also struggled in the 1st Qtr, and that had nothing to do with JF.  If either the offense puts together one TD drive -OR- the defense gets one stop in that 1st Qtr, we win that game.  Sadly neither happened.

You are correct AJ did miss some throws early that would have kept the O on the field.  I don't think he really pushed the D with allowed them to load up on the running game.  Early throws allow the running game to open up.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 11:18:10 AM »

I think we will beat them convincingly next time.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 01:01:33 PM »

Yo
u are the X and O guy, HSC, but haven't we done a good job of containing everyone except for being a little flat (tired) against JF?

One, I do think they caught Bama at the right time after LSU.  Also, they have done a good job with mobile QB's, however, this is the most versitile one they have ever faced.  He not only run, but also throws well.  I think Bama will have to do a better job on the edge as well as put better cover/run support guys in, like where VS was playing.
This much is true.  Neither Denard Robinson nor even Tebow could throw like JF did against Bama's D.

Their D line was better than expected, and they shifted their end over center to help clog the line and slow Bama's run game.  TAMU decided that they weren't going to lose the game on the ground, and AJ wasn't making the throws to keep them honest, especially early on.

The way they took out Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl, they obviously are a talented, well-coached team.  TAMU has two cupcakes then plays Bama at home.  Bama has Va Tech then a bye week to get ready.  So I expect both teams to be highly focussed on that game, starting over the summer if not sooner.  Both teams are losing talent to the NFL, especially in the trenches.

I think Bama takes them too, but it will be one of Bama's toughest games next year.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 02:10:26 PM »

Yo

I think you pegged it before the NCG that Bama really needed an outside edge rush to beat ND. Of course we didn't know our DL would make their entire OL quit.  But that is, I guess, why you are bringing this up now. That in 2013 we still won't have a dominant guy on the edge, but also may not have that JW push up the middle.

lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »

Let's remember, what was it, three passes from the 6?  If AJ doesn't throw the interception at the goal line do we win in spite of a lousy performance?
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »

I read yesterday in the article about the Tim Williams commitment, that CNS recruited him specifically to help contain and run down QB's such as Manzeil. Don't know if that's true or not, but would be interesting if it is.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »

If AJ (bless his heart) had thrown a TD pass instead of an interception against TAMU, would we even be discussing the Aggies at this time. JF would not have won the Heisman. Losing his "O" line would dampen the speculation of his chances for next year. A&M would have finished around 15th instead of 5th. They would possibly be a pre-season top 25 pick, not top 10. We gave them the biggest GIFT any football team has ever received. Chances are better than good that Texas A&M goes back to being Texas A&M. HTH 

lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 04:16:59 PM »

I DO think that we will recruit/develop some CU types but just because they are nice to have around.  Not because of JF.
bama87
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2132

Male

bama87

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 06:35:57 PM »

I think we learned a lesson. Stay in rush lanes and don't lose containment. I agree that we were mentally tired. The LSU game was tough. Now facing A&M early will be to our advantage.
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 06:49:06 PM »

To me, the Tim Williams quote (which I think is accurate) shows that CNS knows we need more speed at LB.  So, coach, yes I think that will begin to change.  But I also think defensive scheme will change.  Kirby said he wished we'd rushed 4 instead of 3 against aTm.  Stuff like that.  Next year, we have an open week pre aTm in Sept and another pre LSU in Nov.  That's gotta help since these will likely be our two toughtest games.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 231
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0