Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Message to SUPERCOACH re ESET  (Read 4932 times)
Kupkake
Senior

E-Cred: 76

Female

Kupkake

My hero - Jumpin' Joe Namath

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2012, 10:35:44 AM »

We did purchase and download Eset virus protection on both of our MacBook Pros.  I had no problems with it on mine but Benny had major problems with it on his.  Or at least Apple thinks that's what caused it.  He got a message which popped up every 10 seconds which said " You can't open the Application NotificationExe because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."  After two extensive conversations with Apple, the second involving formatting his hard drive and reloading OSX Lion, the tech. rep told him that the biggest problem they had with software was with virus protection.  He said that as long as the firewall was turned on we really shouldn't have a problem.  His belief was that ESET, although it says so, is not fully compatible with Lion. 

Thought I'd just let you know of our latest adventure in Mac land.  Even though I had no problems with it I have deleted it from my Mac also.  Once I've loaded all my files, I don't want to hear the word format!

Since you are a computer whiz - or at least you appear so to me! - thought you'd like to hear our experience! 
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »

Thanks for sharing.  The risk of getting a virus on a Mac is extremely low.  A lot of this has to do with the fact that Windows is on the majority of computers and anyone that creates a virus will get the most bang for the buck by going after Windows.  So the number of viruses out there that will even try to attack a Mac is relatively low compared to Windows.  You can still get them though, so be careful.

On the ESET problem, a few years ago, Macs had a Motorola PowerPC processer in them instead of the Intel processors they use now.  I have one of each type of Mac, although the old one is not even turned on any more.  These processors are not compatible with each other, although they both could run earlier versions of OS X because Apple made a version of OS X for each processor type.  Software vendors also had to make a special version of their software for each type of Mac.  I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but it sounds like he may have gotten a copy of the software that was for the older type of processor instead of the current one.  Is it possible he downloaded a different version than the one that you installed?  I can't imagine why the software would work just fine on one brand new Mac but not the other, unless it is 2 different versions of the software.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Kupkake
Senior

Female

Kupkake

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »

SUPERCOACH-

Actually, we can't say for sure that ESET caused the problem.  I loaded both computers identically so I don't think the versions were different.  I think what may have caused the problem happened before then.

He decided to plug his Maxtor into his Mac to move files.  It was incompatible and caused the circular message the first time.  I had already loaded ESET once on his and it had not caused a problem.  The Apple support tech had him simply establish a new identity.  He did not format the hard drive.  So I reinstalled it and some other apps.  The circular message returned.  The second Apple support person had him format the hard drive and since then he has had no problem.  So I think something from that Maxtor was still resident in the hard drive.  All the tech support persons we have talked to say they have the most problem with virus programs, so I did not install it on his again.

And I decided to uninstall it from mine.  Except the only way I know to do it is to go to Finder, move it to trash, and empty trash.  That gets rid of it until the computer restarts and then it is back.  I have messed with it enough it is corrupted and can't function but it still can return.  I assume it is opening the damaged part in the start menu and I have no idea how to actually delete the program.  I lived using Windows Explorer to move files and do things and I must admit I really miss it.  Although they say Finder is Mac's Windows explorer, I can't see drives and files and so I am limited in what I can do. 

I have learned that computer support definitely has different knowledge levels of its techs.  Today I was installing Office 2011 for Mac.  I kept getting a pop-up message telling me I had to close Safari.  I kept hitting the continue button.  Finally I saw Safari in the top bar and shut it down.  Office then loaded just fine.  However, when I opened Safari, every site but apple.com had capital As in boxes where words should be.  I figured I needed to reload Safari because I had damaged it.  I told all this to the first tech, who just kept saying "That's weird, I've never seen anything like that!"  Mercifully, my cellphone dropped him.  So I called back, another 10 minute wait and a new tech who seemed very knowledgeable and had me do numerous things.  Nothing worked.  That call was dropped by my cell phone.  Then I called a third time, told my tale of woe for the third time.  That tech had me go to apple.com/safari/download and load the Lion version and voila it's working just fine.  Boy, I sure could use a stiff drink after all that!

And I still haven't gotten rid of the vampire ESET!  I'm going to talk to ESET and see if I can get my money back.

So the beat goes on.  Thank goodness I am buttheaded and refuse to give up!
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 07:09:13 PM »

Normally, dragging the program to the trash is really all you need to do to get rid of it on a Mac.  But a virus scanner is a little different since it works at such a low level with the operating system.  I'm not sure how to get rid of it unless it has an uninstall program.

I would probably reformat the hard drive and start over if it was me.

I found a link you might be interested in.  It looks like you were right about the Maxtor being the culprit the whole time:  Click here for link

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Kupkake
Senior

Female

Kupkake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:05:52 PM »

That's what we read too and later he did reformat his hard drive.  I refuse to reformat my hard drive after all the work I have put into loading programs,apps,mail, etc!  For now I'm working on the principals " if it ain't broke, don' fix it!" Cheesy

Thanks for all your help tho! Maybe ESET will have an answer on how to delete it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 256
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0