Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Training up a Child...  (Read 7806 times)
misfit
gilmer

E-Cred: 342

Male

misfit

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2011, 04:55:33 PM »

Not sure if this is the premium forum for such a discussion, just curious what some of you might think about the matter. I enjoy the anonymity here, encourages me to be more honest. I am a father of 2-year olds. Most all my life I have proclaimed Christ as my Lord, my Savior, my Redeemer and my Hope. Thing is, I haven't really been living like I believe all that stuff since the kids were born. With all of me I want my kids to know Jesus. I don't know what they can know. I don't know how to teach them. How can I tell them about someone they can't actually see? If I talk about Thomas or Percy or Snuffaluffagus they know exactly what I'm talking about. They are 29 months old. When can I do what? Maybe I just need prayer, maybe someone can redirect me to some good information.
CrimsonCrusader
Junior

E-Cred: 65

Male

CrimsonCrusader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:53:14 PM »

You might ask Bro Ricky or walk into a church of your choice and ask those questions.
God Bless
MDB Tide Roll
Grad Student

E-Cred: 280

Female

MDB Tide Roll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:50:30 PM »

Look for some Christian story books.  My nephew is 14 now and I know we found a lot of age appropriate books for him from the time he was able to sit up an look at a book (6 mos) and we found a lot at Dollar Tree.  His favorite was called Jonah and the Big Fish, it was one of those board books they make for very young children.

My earliest memories of learning about the Bible were from my grandparents reading Bible stories to me.  They had a set of Bible encyclopedias with a couple of children's volumes.  I clearly remember asking Granny to read to me about Baby Moses again and again.

Can you tell we're a family of readers?

The most important thing to do is to take them to church.  Let them participate in Sunday School, sing the songs (I still remember all of them and sometimes think they're the most important) and begin to interact in the church environment. 

Pray

If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, "Roll, tide, roll!"   Paul "Bear" Bryant

"I want everybody here to know this is not the end.  This is the beginning."  Nick Saban 1/16/10
Terrie1959
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 724

Female

Terrie1959

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »

I agree with MDB.  Reading is one of the best tools available. My daughter, who is now 26 years of age, was read to from the day we received her. (we adopted her while in the Philippines). There was so many stories that she loved. So many cute catchy songs that she loved. There are several cd's out there with  great short tunes. Veggie Tales dvd's and books are also good books.

Good luck and I'd like to say congrats to you for wanting to raise your children in the Lord. Smiley
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »

I've raised four , check that , my wife raised four I just did what I was told .
I/we found that being evolved in the Church helped a lot
by that I mean helping with the activities at Church, like
VBS , playing softball , youth group meeting , getting the food , organizing events/trips and such .

we started them a young age and I think us being evolved made it easier on them
once they got a little older they were telling us ideas and stuff to do for Church .

there are many here , Ricky , that can help more than me but this is what we did .

the book idea is a wonderful one , it works great ! the kids loved the stories
even when I  ad-libed a little , don't ask ...

Prayers sent !

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:49:50 PM »

The most important thing to do is to take them to church.  Let them participate in Sunday School, sing the songs (I still remember all of them and sometimes think they're the most important) and begin to interact in the church environment. 

Pray

^^^THIS^^^

Find a church that has lots of other toddlers and fun stuff for them to all do together.

As for the part about talking to them about something they cannot see... well they can't see Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy.  But I bet you have no problem talking to them about that.  It is just much easier to talk about those things because they are insignificant and trivial in the grand scheme of things.

The issue here is not that they can't physically see God or Jesus.  This is spiritual warfare, make no mistake about it.  You are being bullied, and you are intimidated... afraid to discuss your beliefs with your children.  But the eternal future of your children is at stake.  Don't settle for ignoring this issue because you are uncomfortable talking about it.  The Holy Spirit has put this on your heart or you would not have come on here asking for advice.  Stand firm with courage.

There is nothing wrong with being uncomfortable or feeling awkward about having these discussions.  I think you will find that the critical thing here is to just start.  Don't sit them down and give them a big speech about it or anything like that.  Just introduce them little by little within the context of your daily life.  Over time you will become more and more comfortable talking about this with your kids, and more importantly they will grow up feeling comfortable discussing important issues with you as things come up in life.  In the meantime, keep them in a fun church and surround them with people who are not the least bit intimidated by talking to kids about Jesus.  This will give you time to get your sea legs, so to speak.

Finally, the best advice I can give you is to just ALWAYS be honest with them and lead by example.  If you don't know the answer, don't be afraid to say so.  The next time you make a mistake and they see it, make sure you also admit your mistake in front of them.  Also, don't be afraid to apologize in front of them or even to them if the situation warrants even a small apology.  It has been said that no man stands taller than when he bends down on his knees to help a child.  I will add to that and say that no man stands taller than when he gets down on one knee, looks a child in the eye, and apologizes to them for an honest mistake they may have made.  After all, we all make mistakes from time to time.  As they get older they will come to respect you for your honesty and humility, which will serve you well 10 years down the road when they are teenagers.

This is my prayer for you:

Father, this man has come here tonight with an honest and open heart seeking advice and your wisdom on how to raise his children.  This is a good thing, and your word teaches us that no good thing will be withheld1.  Your word also teaches us that if any man lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him2.  Father, I pray that your will is accomplished in his life and the lives of his family, for that is truly the only thing that matters.

I will leave you with this scripture taken from Matthew 7:11 NIV:

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Now, consider this issue settled in your own heart and trust in the Lord Jesus to bring it to pass.

1.  Psalm 84:11 NIV:  For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.
2.  James 1:5 NIV:  If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 10:51:39 PM »

P.S.  I also highly recommend Veggie Tales.

Cheesy

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 04:29:23 AM »

Well these are all good answers, what I would like to add is this. Get in a Church that is comfortable to you, but make sure they Preach the Blood and believe what the Bible says, All of the Bible not just parts. If your not sure tell the Preacher you are not sure and ask him those questions. what do they believe. If he is a God called Preacher he won'r mind and he will have a smile.
Next, take the time to spend daily with your children and wife if possible and read a few scriptures, i.e. Everyday. Some people have Golf or ballgames or etc. you have a once in a liftetime chance to put your children first.
Next, let your children see you pray so they will understand and ask why. You can tell them God is the Master and is a Good God but he answers on his time.
Next really important. DON"T be ashamed to let them see you cry. Crying in front of your children  is love and is Not a Weakness. It is the strongest form of Strength there is, it takes a mighty big man to cry with his children.
Next try to explain love between people, show love, talk about love, your love for them, and your Wife.
Next, when you get in Church, if the Lord moves you don't be afraid to go to the Altar and pray some people think it is a curse they are so scared, so the children never learn what the true meaning of the Altar in God's House is really for.
I am so proud of you, and for you. One thing to remember, never go to a place you would not want them to go or wear clothes you would not want them to wear. Realy big no language you wouldn't want them to say. They are so sharp with DAD they will follow him in all his travels to an age.
This is what the Lord put on my heart. You made my day. I will be praying for this all over and I hope you know this. God Bless.
If you want to talk you can have my e-mail or phone numbers. As God says we love you and family. God Bless!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »

My wife and I started reading Bible stories to our son when he was about 18 mos. old (both from the Bible and a children's story book). He also attends SS, which I think has re-enforced what we have told him at home better than anything. We also have been able to get him to memorize some scripture (he is almost 4 now, by the way), with my wife putting the words to a simple musical tune. I am not completely sure that he understands everything he hears about God, but I think he has some grasp of who He is and who Jesus is. One of the best things in the world is for him/her to see how much YOU love Christ and how He is the priority in your life. Children learn so much through watching you, and I guarantee God will use you to reach out to them. God Bless you in desire to see that your kids know our Savior.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6111

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 02:31:37 PM »

These are some great recommendations already listed above. I will make mine short and sweet.

1. Get them in a good church that has a good kids program.
2. Read bible stories to them. Read anything to them for that matter.
3. Show you love them.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »

Amen!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Leewillie
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3348

Leewillie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »

Great advice everyone.

The only thing I would add is just remember that the way you live your life is the BEST teaching tool there is.  Show them that you love the Lord with all your heart.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »

Great advice everyone.

The only thing I would add is just remember that the way you live your life is the BEST teaching tool there is.  Show them that you love the Lord with all your heart.

Amen!

XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »

Great advice everyone.

yes sir ... Amen !

and LW , I really like that pic of Coach Bryant  , that is how I remember him  Cool

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
Terrie1959
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 724

Female

Terrie1959

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »

I worked in the daycare at my daughter's Christian School. I had the 2 year old class. At that age, even though the attention span is short, they are just soaking up information.  My 10 children learned a Bible verse every week. They would recite it to their parents on Friday's when the parents picked them up. We colored pictures and I read stories about the verse all week. I think that was one of my most rewarding jobs. I KNEW I was helping the children.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 345
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0