Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coach Saban outcoached, I think not!  (Read 5998 times)
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2961

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 12:21:44 PM »

In addition, I'm not sure I'd say that Saban was "outcoached" because I really don't think Miles did anything except let his players play.  The best their offense ever manage was mediocrity, and that was only for brief spurts.  He made no real pivotal decisions that I saw.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »

I still think Saban is a great coach, but how can you say he didn't ge outcoached? The 3 FG attempts in the 1st qt were poor decisions. We should have punted and played for field position. And why did we call that trick play right then? Trent had just made his best run of the night to get the ball in scoring position. We had momentum. We should have given the ball back to Trent and pounded it. I have always heard that you don't take the ball out of your best player's hands. Well that's just what we did Saturday night. Whenever Trent finally broke a run we would try a trick play or a slow-developing play. I know that the plays were poorly executed, but still; we should have kept pounding away with Trent instead of putting the game in AJs hands or Marquis Maze's hands. I still love Saban, but those were some bad decisions Saturday night, and no amount of white-washing can change the facts.

I say he didn't get outcoached because nothing Miles did was a true turning point in the game.  The Bama players made mistakes, key mistakes.  I still think it was the right time to call the trick play because I bet all of LSU was expecting TR to get the ball again.  Maybe it should have just been a playaction pass.  If the play had worked would it still have been a bad decision?
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 09:44:47 PM »

I still think Saban is a great coach, but how can you say he didn't ge outcoached? The 3 FG attempts in the 1st qt were poor decisions. We should have punted and played for field position. And why did we call that trick play right then? Trent had just made his best run of the night to get the ball in scoring position. We had momentum. We should have given the ball back to Trent and pounded it. I have always heard that you don't take the ball out of your best player's hands. Well that's just what we did Saturday night. Whenever Trent finally broke a run we would try a trick play or a slow-developing play. I know that the plays were poorly executed, but still; we should have kept pounding away with Trent instead of putting the game in AJs hands or Marquis Maze's hands. I still love Saban, but those were some bad decisions Saturday night, and no amount of white-washing can change the facts.

I say he didn't get outcoached because nothing Miles did was a true turning point in the game.  The Bama players made mistakes, key mistakes.  I still think it was the right time to call the trick play because I bet all of LSU was expecting TR to get the ball again.  Maybe it should have just been a playaction pass.  If the play had worked would it still have been a bad decision?
^^^ Same with the FGs. While I learned Bama football watching Coach Bryant punting for field position, if those FGs had been made we would never have heard a peep from anyone.

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 10:07:24 PM »

Also CLM made his own mistakes.  But since they won the game, nobody talks about them.  Putting Jarret Lee back in the game to throw another interception is one obvious mistake that comes to mind.  They were moving the ball fairly well with JJ right before the half for the first time all night, yet he decided to put Lee back in there.  Had one of those interceptions been a pick 6, then nobody would be talking about the Bama woulda, coulda, shoulda points and instead would be talking about why in the world did CLM put Lee back in the game.  And one of them almost was a pick 6.

There is nothing wrong with looking back at a loss and trying to think about how things could have been done differently.  The coaching staff does it every week, win or lose.  I think that is all we have really done here on this forum.  I have questioned some of the decisions, but I will be the first to admit that I am just a die hard fan that knows nothing about how to win at that level.  In the end I guess both the players and the coaches probably made some mistakes along the way.

And when I say players I'm not just talking about the FG kickers.  The FG that was blocked was on a 4th and 17 from the 32 yard line.  Why were we in 4th and 17 from the 32 when we just had a 1st and 10 from the 25?  That had nothing to do with the FG kicker.  If we had at least kept the ball at the 25 then that FG would be a little easier, maybe within Shelley's range so that he didn't have to try to kick low and line drive the ball.  The defense also had a busted coverage that led to one of their FG's.  Had it not been for that play we probably would have won 6-3.

The bottom line:  Take a look at what Coach Bryant said about this in my signature below.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 09:55:03 AM »

Coach Bryant always took the blame for his losses and credited the players for the wins. And he had a pretty good run at Bama if my memory serves me right.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6111

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »

Coach Bryant always took the blame for his losses and credited the players for the wins. And he had a pretty good run at Bama if my memory serves me right.

As a coach you should take the blame for a loss and give credit to the players for a win. Fans are different. We call it as we see it. CNS put the players in a position to win the game. A block in the back, a missed FG, a dropped pass that turns into an interception is not coaching. The breaks did not go our way. CNS was not outcoached IMO.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 10:52:22 AM »

I can tell you that works pretty good in little league too.  Cheesy

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 04:41:30 PM »

If you've been listening to Coach Saban this week (or for the last 5 years) his coaching has been all about execution.  Doing the little things right leads to the big things going right.  The penalties, misalignments, and turnovers were the result of little things not being properly executed.  The players were properly coached.  Unfortunately, they didn't execute.  And Coach Saban took responsibility.

Focus and go BEAT THE BULLDOGS!  ROLL TIDE!!!
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 05:34:09 PM »

If you've been listening to Coach Saban this week (or for the last 5 years) his coaching has been all about execution.  Doing the little things right leads to the big things going right.  The penalties, misalignments, and turnovers were the result of little things not being properly executed.  The players were properly coached.  Unfortunately, they didn't execute.  And Coach Saban took responsibility.

^^^ Finally. I was wondering if we were going to make it until Thursday without mentioning Mississippi State. Istephen is a little more disciplined than the rest of us. RTR

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 06:39:09 PM »

^^^ Finally. I was wondering if we were going to make it until Thursday without mentioning Mississippi State. Istephen is a little more disciplined than the rest of us. RTR

I already predicted the score against MSU.  What more do you want? 

kbama13
Freshman

E-Cred: 38

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 08:52:59 PM »

It seems we/Bama cant get over the hump in some games, I'm one for ride the horse that got you there.JMO.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 140
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0