Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV Streaming Service?  (Read 16526 times)
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2018, 06:20:04 AM »

DTV just tried to raise me up to $120/month now that my contract if up.  I told them "No Thanks!"  And this time they didn't budge. 

Soo....   I'm looking at going with a streaming service (Hulu, Sling, Youtube, Vue -- these all have ESPN).

Anyone have experience with these services and any recommendations? 
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 06:25:53 AM »

DTV just tried to raise me up to $120/month now that my contract if up.  I told them "No Thanks!"  And this time they didn't budge. 

Soo....   I'm looking at going with a streaming service (Hulu, Sling, Youtube, Vue -- these all have ESPN).

I have Cox cable here in P'cola. They are much worse than that, and since I only live here part time, I need to do the same thing.
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2961

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 07:06:35 AM »

I don't know a lot about any of them.  I've had Hulu, but not the live TV version.  I do know that Sling's cost is per device.  I'm not sure if that's any one device at a time, or one particular device at any time.  I think it's the latter.  (i.e. you have to pay for two subscriptions for your living room and bedroom TVs, even if you aren't watching them simultaneously)
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:39:47 AM »

I don't know a lot about any of them.  I've had Hulu, but not the live TV version.  I do know that Sling's cost is per device.  I'm not sure if that's any one device at a time, or one particular device at any time.  I think it's the latter.  (i.e. you have to pay for two subscriptions for your living room and bedroom TVs, even if you aren't watching them simultaneously)

We have the Amazon Fire Stick. My wife is a member of Amazon Prime, and as a result, we get a lot of free shows and movies, including the new Jack Ryan series, which is really good.

I know you can download apps from it at a cost per app. I guess I need to learn more about that. Seems it might be the way to go for me.
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 07:49:17 AM »

I have Cox cable here in P'cola. They are much worse than that, and since I only live here part time, I need to do the same thing.
I've kept DTV at around $60/mo or less over several years.  Since ATT bought them, they've gotten tighter.  Threatening to quit doesn't work as well anymore.  I quit once before for a few months maybe 2 1/2 years ago -- then signed back on as a new customer at their discounted rate. 

I'm leaning towards Hulu right now, though Youtube also is a contender.  Both offer the channels I'm looking for in a $40 package with DVR features.

Sling has two services (Orange and Blue) with weird rules (can't DVR ESPN) and costs extra for ESPNU/SECN and other sports channels included with the other two.

I probably should have waited until after the bowl games to do this.   
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 08:47:00 AM »

Well i am watching to see what turns out the best. I might try some of these if I have the money when I read some of the reports. BTW, thanks for letting me watch these reports before I jump on board. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
bamaphil
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2962

bamaphil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 09:39:00 AM »

I've kept DTV at around $60/mo or less over several years.  Since ATT bought them, they've gotten tighter.  Threatening to quit doesn't work as well anymore.  I quit once before for a few months maybe 2 1/2 years ago -- then signed back on as a new customer at their discounted rate. 

I'm leaning towards Hulu right now, though Youtube also is a contender.  Both offer the channels I'm looking for in a $40 package with DVR features.

Sling has two services (Orange and Blue) with weird rules (can't DVR ESPN) and costs extra for ESPNU/SECN and other sports channels included with the other two.

I was using Sling for a while. It worked well, and at $55 a month I got the channels I wanted and was generally happy, except for the lack of local networks. I tried buying an indoor antenna, but it only picked up ABC.

When I learned that Hulu offers local channels and has most of the other stations I want I signed up for the free trial. I’ve been happy with it for a month now, and canceled my Sling subscription. At $40 a month with live TV and the Hulu original TV shows and movie options I think it’s a good deal.

We moved into our house in April, and when I looked at Comcast and DirecTV the cheapest options to get the channels I wanted were going to be well over $120 a month for Internet and TV. With Comcast Internet only and Hulu I pay $70.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 11:19:50 AM »

Another possibility is to sign up with Dish under one of their new customer plans and then switch back to DirecTV if/when Dish starts their crap in a couple of years.  It has always irritated me that a new customer can get such a deep discount while a longtime loyal customer is gouged.  It seems like you could be a perpetual new customer if you toggle back and forth every couple of years when the contract expires.

I will be interested in seeing how this turns out.  There has got to be a better way, but I won't dare risk it during football season.    I would pay for both services for a season first just to have a back up plan in case something goes wrong in the middle of a game.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 11:33:20 AM »

Yea and people like me who are poor we have to depend on what we can get off the reports here and off ELI when the game is on. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 01:56:03 PM »

I was using Sling for a while. It worked well, and at $55 a month I got the channels I wanted and was generally happy, except for the lack of local networks. I tried buying an indoor antenna, but it only picked up ABC.

When I learned that Hulu offers local channels and has most of the other stations I want I signed up for the free trial. I’ve been happy with it for a month now, and canceled my Sling subscription. At $40 a month with live TV and the Hulu original TV shows and movie options I think it’s a good deal.

We moved into our house in April, and when I looked at Comcast and DirecTV the cheapest options to get the channels I wanted were going to be well over $120 a month for Internet and TV. With Comcast Internet only and Hulu I pay $70.
Thanks for the report, which confirms what my research said, that Hulu probably has the best deal on the channels I want.

We have WOW (Knology) here in Huntsville, which is a cheap cable and internet service, maybe $60 for regular (not basic) cable plus internet 100.  I get internet 100 from them for $29, so I'm also looking at adding Cable -- once I convince them to add me at the new customer price, which they said they would do when I signed up for cable.

So it's that or Hulu if WOW fails to adhere to their verbal promises.

I do have an attic HD antenna which picks up several (30+)  channels, including all the local channels plus their alternate programming (the Networks in Huntsville -- ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX -- each broadcast 3 or 4 channels, including old TV shows, continuous weather coverage, etc.) 

I looked into ESPN+ for $5/month, but best I can tell it does not include all live college games.
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 04:06:47 AM »

That was my next question to Phil; can you get all the ESPN channels?
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 11:59:43 AM »

I actually went back to cable last year after about two years with Sling. I liked it OK, but with no local channels, I could never catch Orioles games. I'm not crazy about the money I'm shelling out, but Fios is not bad, and I rarely have any connection issues. Only problem? No SEC Network.  Angry

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 01:37:42 PM »

That was my next question to Phil; can you get all the ESPN channels?
Hulu has all the ESPN channels for $40, including ESPNU and SECN, plus ESPN College Extra, ESPN Goal Line and ESPN Bases Loaded.  The latter three channels provide additional coverage of college football games and college softball/baseball.

Sling charges extra for ESPN basics like ESPNU and SECN.
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 01:41:00 PM »

I have a questioon men? Can you get Hulu on TV or on commputer? Right now only thing I can watch is our SEC games on cbssports on computer. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 01:52:19 PM »

I have a questioon men? Can you get Hulu on TV or on commputer? Right now only thing I can watch is our SEC games on cbssports on computer. RTR!

You can on a computer for sure, and depending on your computer, you may be able to cast it from there on to your TV. I think you may have to have a device like a Roku or something similar if you are going straight from your TV.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 193
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0