Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: Bama vs AU  (Read 12077 times)
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 06:48:22 AM »

Not only did I catch a seagull, I ran down a fishing rod being pulled into the Gulf by a ray, at a hot 3 MPH.  Cool
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 08:16:29 AM »

Well one thing for sure the great stats on these pages are good. Why can't we take that auburn image off our site? RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
bamalum67
Grad Student

E-Cred: 119

Male

bamalum67

Bama born and Bama bred

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 09:24:48 AM »

and if Gary Danielson can call the jump pass TD..I figure the staff did not study the film very well...or else the DB had his head where the sun don't shine...maybe both.

Thanks HC Coach for all you've done this year.

"It ain't the size of the dog in the fight..it's the size of the fight in the dog"
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 10:35:11 AM »

1. You got it, coach: YACS.   

DB:  ...They had to chase receivers across the field which is extremely tough.
Yes, and those crossing patterns take time.  When the D-line doesn't pressure the QB, my dead grandma can throw a pretty pass.

3. The Monday morning, "Why didn't we run more?"  The plays are called depending on defense, AND on the O-line.  We had injuries during the game that adversely affected the blocking schemes and ability to pull.  Boogs played much man defense.  Refs didn't seem interested in calling holding penalties on DBs.  Even 2 can guard Ridley if allowed to tug his jersey every play.

E-cred on an excellent analysis, coach.   

The crossing routes, at times, were set up with motion and having a chance of a rub with another rec helps put the DB in a trail position.  It is also difficult because it gives the rec and option to go out or in along with making it difficult to jam the rec.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »

1. You got it, coach: YACS.  

DB:  ...They had to chase receivers across the field which is extremely tough.
Yes, and those crossing patterns take time.  When the D-line doesn't pressure the QB, my dead grandma can throw a pretty pass.

3. The Monday morning, "Why didn't we run more?"  The plays are called depending on defense, AND on the O-line.  We had injuries during the game that adversely affected the blocking schemes and ability to pull.  Boogs played much man defense.  Refs didn't seem interested in calling holding penalties on DBs.  Even 2 can guard Ridley if allowed to tug his jersey every play.

E-cred on an excellent analysis, coach.  
Wow!  When I first read that I thought, "Yeah, right!    " but then I got to thinking about our fishing trip in Spring 2016 when he caught the gull.  If he can catch a seagull then surely he could at least get a hand on Ridley's jersey as he runs by...  
There was one play I really noticed where the rec took off and was almost turned completely around by the grab by the defensive player.  If I recall it was on the drive where Bama missed the opportunity for the field goal.  He was the inside rec.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:14:03 PM by Chechem » Logged
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 10:40:41 AM »

First on balls thrown 0 to 5 yards from the LOS the AU quarterback was 14 for 14.  What is bad here is the yards made after the catch. 

First of all let me say, you have done an outstanding job of breaking down each of our games again this season as you have done for so many times previously and all of us here on this board really appreciate your hard work.  GREAT JOB!

Secondly, those short 0 to 5 yard throws, if I am not mistaken aren't those basically just "timing" throws where the qb knows who he is going to throw the ball to, when (almost immediately), and where on the field?  I would also like to see what the down and distance was on each of those plays but I'm not asking you to do that.  My thinking is, many times this season our DB's have been beaten on 3rd down to convert for 1st down by these types of plays.  If these truly are timing plays then it seems that the corners need to play tighter to the LOS and try to jam the WR's as the ball is snapped thereby throwing off the timing from the qb to make the throw.  This could also potentially provide more opportunities to get INT's.  Thoughts?

Those routes are timing, but also we use to do it with loose coverage and called it uncovered.  The QB would make an easy call at the LOS and the linemen knew he was throwing uncovered or changing the play.  These plays are difficult on the DB's many times because they have bunched or stacked rec.  Sometimes they do it with motion.  It is a numbers game.  If you have to keep more players in the box it is harder to put an extra player over the receivers. 
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 10:43:25 AM »

and if Gary Danielson can call the jump pass TD..I figure the staff did not study the film very well...or else the DB had his head where the sun don't shine...maybe both.

The DB was put in a bind on this play.  AU motioned someone out to the DB's side.  The rec went inside and  if he had gone with him the motion man would have been wide open.  I wonder if Bama was misaligned or Evans didn't get a switch call telling him he had the rec coming inside. 
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 11:36:46 AM »

The reason there are 15 is I included the jump pass.  Eleven of the plays were in the first half. 

14 for 14 chart:
1.    1st and 10 ball on 25 gain of 1
2.   2nd and 9 ball on 26 gain of 10 missed tackle
3.   1st and 10 ball on the 36/37 gain of 3 ball on the 49
4.   1st and 10 ball on the 6  gain of 4
5.   1st and 10 ball on Bama’s 48 gain of 23 Bama missed tackle and thought he went out of bounds
6.   1st and 10 ball on the Bama’s 30 no gain
7.   2nd and 10 ball on the Bama’s 30 throwback screen gain of 4
8.   3rd and 6 ball on the Bama’s 21 screen gain of 10
9.   3rd and 2 ball on Bama’s 3 jump pass for TD. 
10.   1st and 10 ball on Bama’s 44 gain of 11 missed tackle
11.   1st and 10 ball on the 20 AU QB realizing he is going to be sacked and flips the ball to RB and no gain but saves 12 yards of what would have been a sack.
12.   3rd and 6 ball on Bama’s 45 crossing route gain of 23
13.   3rd and 8 Ball on Bama’s 20 crossing route gain of 2
14.   3rd and 3 ball on 28 crossing route Wilson misses the knock down and gain of 23
15.   1st and 5 ball on Bama’s 47 gain of 7 ball on the 39.
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 02:32:12 PM »

The DB was put in a bind on this play.  AU motioned someone out to the DB's side.  The rec went inside and  if he had gone with him the motion man would have been wide open.  I wonder if Bama was misaligned or Evans didn't get a switch call telling him he had the rec coming inside. 

Evans should have picked that up. Must have missed a call or got caught up with eye candy.

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 02:35:31 PM »

hscoach, my main concern - and it is not just with this game, but most of the games with good competition this year - is OL and DL play. Our OL has been inconsistent all year - very frustrating. Also, the DL has surprisingly been bullied at times. They are not eating up blocks and letting LBs make plays, and at times are getting driven off the ball. I know we lost a lot to graduation/pros, but dang it man, not used to seeing this from a Bama defense.

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 03:10:11 PM »

hscoach, my main concern - and it is not just with this game, but most of the games with good competition this year - is OL and DL play. Our OL has been inconsistent all year - very frustrating. Also, the DL has surprisingly been bullied at times. They are not eating up blocks and letting LBs make plays, and at times are getting driven off the ball. I know we lost a lot to graduation/pros, but dang it man, not used to seeing this from a Bama defense.

It is the OL more than the DL to me.  Up until this game Bama had/has one of the top defenses in the country.  The OL inability to move the ball at times has caused the D to have to play more downs.  You add the injuries to that and the play won't be as consistent.  Also consider the youth that is there and didn't get a lot of playing time last year.  All in all , AU, one of the top running team, only averaged 3.4 yards per carry.  It should have been less if the missed tackles had been made and not allowing the QB to scramble.  The OL does great one play then the next acts like it is their first game and has never seen a blitz or stunt.  Pass blocking has been suspect a lot of the year, however, Hurts has bailed them out several times during the year.  While I am talking about Hurts bailing them out, I don't remember if I mentioned it, but I don't think the  receivers did a very good job on what we call the scramble drill against AU. 
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »

Danielson said he saw them practice the play during prep for the Iron Bowl.

KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 03:21:13 PM »

Thanks for the good work, Coach. Great job all year. All in all, I thought it was a poor performance by Alabama. Sure the RB's had a good average per carry, but when we needed a yard, we didn't get it. IMHO, Bama misses a stud running back that can be counted on to get yardage. I think either Bo, Damien, or Najee might be that back, but the constant rotating in and out destroys their rhythm. Hurts just doesn't scare anyone with his passing. He may put up big numbers against over matched opponents, but stronger teams just crowd the line, rush the passer, and force mistakes. I would have loved to see Tua given a shot, now I just hope he doesn't transfer. Coaching and game plan was just awful! Did Daboll even look at any AU game film? Did Pruitt? Sad to say, but our offense looked old, tired, and out of date. Maybe it works in the pros where everyone is the same. I sure hope Saban gets rid of Daboll after the season!
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 03:23:50 PM »

Danielson said he saw them practice the play during prep for the Iron Bowl.

Correct.  That does make it a little easier to "predict" too. 

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »

Thanks for the good work, Coach. Great job all year. All in all, I thought it was a poor performance by Alabama. Sure the RB's had a good average per carry, but when we needed a yard, we didn't get it. IMHO, Bama misses a stud running back that can be counted on to get yardage. I think either Bo, Damien, or Najee might be that back, but the constant rotating in and out destroys their rhythm. Hurts just doesn't scare anyone with his passing. He may put up big numbers against over matched opponents, but stronger teams just crowd the line, rush the passer, and force mistakes. I would have loved to see Tua given a shot, now I just hope he doesn't transfer. Coaching and game plan was just awful! Did Daboll even look at any AU game film? Did Pruitt? Sad to say, but our offense looked old, tired, and out of date. Maybe it works in the pros where everyone is the same. I sure hope Saban gets rid of Daboll after the season!

Instead of Daboll, I think it should be the OL coach.  The AU DL was hitting the OL in the mouth.  As bad as Bama played they were a couple of plays, like the PI call, from being in a closer game and then could AU have handled it?  AU, as I said, did a great job on one on one tackles, especially on Hurts.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 167
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0