Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard drive bearings?  (Read 29845 times)
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 05:58:45 PM »

Three in college. I feel for you. I have one in college and a senior in high school. Cars, insurance, prom/formal dresses (2 girls), etc is killing me. Not to mention college costs.

I know this isn't computer related, but seeing you guys talk about college-age kids takes me back a little. I supposed for sometime that I was among the older guys on here (at 36), but it looks like I must be one of the young'uns. Can I help any of you old dudes with your walkers or anything?  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Just kidding, of course.

OK you young punk. We don't need walkers but you can bring me my reading glasses.  Grin

Applause E-Cred Laughing

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 06:56:33 PM »

The bearings grinding laptop hung in there until a couple weeks ago. But the problem is maybe something to do with powering up, instead. I get power light and battery charge light flickers but blank (black) screen. The icon that shows your PC is locked lights up-- so with my limited knowledge I ruled out HD crash. I think it needs a jump start.

I unplugged, removed battery, took out memory card, and then hard drive. Then I replaced in reverse order. But that is all, ---any suggestions?

It is most likely power related if it won't even come on.  It sounds like it isn't even getting to the part where it checks to see if the hard drive is there.

It should work just fine with a bad battery as long as you have it plugged into the wall.  I wouldn't waste money on a battery.  Typically by the time the battery goes out you can buy a new low end laptop (by today's standards) that is not much more than a battery, but is probably quite a bit faster than the old laptop.

Do you have it plugged up to an external monitor?  If so, unplug it from the monitor and open the lid to see the screen.  When you turn it on like that, do you see anything at all come on the built in screen?  Do you hear any sort of beeps coming from it?

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »

The bearings grinding laptop hung in there until a couple weeks ago. But the problem is maybe something to do with powering up, instead. I get power light and battery charge light flickers but blank (black) screen. The icon that shows your PC is locked lights up-- so with my limited knowledge I ruled out HD crash. I think it needs a jump start.

I unplugged, removed battery, took out memory card, and then hard drive. Then I replaced in reverse order. But that is all, ---any suggestions?

It is most likely power related if it won't even come on.  It sounds like it isn't even getting to the part where it checks to see if the hard drive is there.

It should work just fine with a bad battery as long as you have it plugged into the wall.  I wouldn't waste money on a battery.  Typically by the time the battery goes out you can buy a new low end laptop (by today's standards) that is not much more than a battery, but is probably quite a bit faster than the old laptop.

Do you have it plugged up to an external monitor?  If so, unplug it from the monitor and open the lid to see the screen.  When you turn it on like that, do you see anything at all come on the built in screen?  Do you hear any sort of beeps coming from it?
Totally black screen. No beeps. Yeah, it won't even boot up to the F1 or F11 question-- just blank/black screen. I had a problem with the power cord connect prior to stopping altogether. You sometimes had to twist the jack in the outlet on laptop to get power. But the power LED and battery charge lights up as well as the "laptop locked" LED.

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »

Hmmm... it sounds like a bad solder connection on the power connector internally.  It could be trickling in enough to run those LEDs (which use almost nothing), but not enough for it to come on.  Try removing the battery and turning it on with the battery out of it.  Other than that, you will probably need to take it apart and investigate the area where you connect the power cable.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 07:17:09 PM »

It could also be a bad power cable.

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 07:30:42 PM »

It could also be a bad power cable.
Sorry. No, I tried a couple with same result. But led lights are on so it must be getting some power. W/O knowing what I'm talking about, I'd bet an intermittant short on the power inlet. Maybe caused by the intermittent short that I have been remedying by twisting the power cord. NOT WORTH MUCH EFFORT-- i GUESS i WAS HOPING SOMEONE KNEW A FUNCTION KEY THAT would magically get it back. Any ideas are appreciated. TIA.

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 07:31:58 PM »

Hmmm... it sounds like a bad solder connection on the power connector internally.  It could be trickling in enough to run those LEDs (which use almost nothing), but not enough for it to come on.  Try removing the battery and turning it on with the battery out of it.  Other than that, you will probably need to take it apart and investigate the area where you connect the power cable.
Cool. Thanks.

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »

I am using an RGB cable and watching screen on TV--I have to keep scrolling over each time I change screens- I was complaining and Smitty said you may know how to remedy that?

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 05:55:22 PM »

Well, I'm not sure I understand.  You have your TV connected to the computer through an RGB component cable?  This is the one with a red, green, and blue connector, not the yellow, red, and white.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 05:55:49 PM »

Also, is it an HDTV?

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »

Also, is it an HDTV?
Yes and yes. First, the computer image on TV is way smaller than the 47" TV. Next when I change screens I must scroll over to center the page. Maybe Smity misunderstood  but he saaid you knew how to fix it?

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »

Well, I'm not sure I understand.  You have your TV connected to the computer through an RGB component cable?  This is the one with a red, green, and blue connector, not the yellow, red, and white.
My bad red,yellow, whiite

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 06:02:18 PM »

Also, is it an HDTV?
Yes and yes. First, the computer image on TV is way smaller than the 47" TV. Next when I change screens I must scroll over to center the page. Maybe Smity misunderstood  but he saaid you knew how to fix it?

I'm happy to help.  Can you clarify that part for me?  Are you referring to changing the display settings in Windows?

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 06:05:50 PM »

My bad red,yellow, whiite

With a red, yellow, and white connection on the TV your resolution will be horrible, even if it is an HDTV.  This low resolution doesn't give the computer a lot of room to draw the screen, hence the scrolling problem.  This assumes I am understanding the problem correctly.

Do you have any other options to connect the computer to the TV with?  An HDMI cable would probably be the easiest if both the computer and TV support it.  Some newer TVs also have an old style DB15 monitor port that you should be able to use, which would also give you the full resolution.

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 06:06:26 PM »

Also, is it an HDTV?

I'm happy to help.  Can you clarify that part for me?  Are you referring to changing the display settings in Windows?
When I just clicked on quote it changed to reply creen. I had to scroll over to center the reply box (and scroll down to see emoticon)-- is their a way to eliminate the scrolling over since I have to do it 500 times a day?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 226
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0