Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ***POLITICAL DAILY THREAD--RED STATE EDITION***  (Read 299296 times)
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 08, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »

There is absolutely no reason why the Republicans can't win over the (legal) hispanic vote and they are foolish for not making an effort there.  From an idealogical standpoint they have a lot in common.

I am not disagreeing with you that Republicans have to think differently in the future and go after women and minority voters. But regarding your comment on hispanic voters. What blue states do you think Romney would have won if he had the hispanic votes?
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 08, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »

You know your question pmull got me to thinking and I can't see any states except maybe California. Then, California had 55 electoral votes and obama beat him by a lot bigger margin. I'm not sure of any other states. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 08, 2012, 10:37:38 AM »

I don't know if it would change the outcome in a solid blue state, but it could easily make a difference in a toss up state.  Take Florida for example.  Right now Obama has 4,143,364 and Romney has 4,096,351.  This state could have been won easily with just a little more support from hispanics.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 08, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »

I don't know if it would change the outcome in a solid blue state, but it could easily make a difference in a toss up state.  Take Florida for example.  Right now Obama has 4,143,364 and Romney has 4,096,351.  This state could have been won easily with just a little more support from hispanics.

That is only a difference of 47,013 votes.  So if only 23,507 hispanic voters switched their vote to Romney he wins Florida.  I am not an expert on Florida demographics, but Miami-Dade county had almost a million votes and I suspect a good number of those were hispanics.  There were over 8 million total votes cast in the state.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 08, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »

I don't know if it would change the outcome in a solid blue state, but it could easily make a difference in a toss up state.  Take Florida for example.  Right now Obama has 4,143,364 and Romney has 4,096,351.  This state could have been won easily with just a little more support from hispanics.

That is only a difference of 47,013 votes.  So if only 23,507 hispanic voters switched their vote to Romney he wins Florida.  I am not an expert on Florida demographics, but Miami-Dade county had almost a million votes and I suspect a good number of those were hispanics.  There were over 8 million total votes cast in the state.

Florida is the state I thought about. I don't know the hispanic population in states like Ohio and Virginia (any of those 52/48 dem wins) but a few votes could have swung it our way.

The Republican Party has to do something different because this election was ours to lose and we still lost.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:48:22 AM by pmull » Logged
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 08, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »

According to the statistics on this web site, the hispanic vote could have been enough to change the outcome of the election.

Click here for link

We already talked about Florida.  If Romney had also won Ohio, Virginia, and Colorado, he would have won the election.

Colorado has 20.7% hispanic vote.  Romney lost 51-47.
Virginia has 7.9% hispanic vote.  Romney lost 51-48.
Ohio only has 3.1% hispanic vote, but Romney only lost 50-48.

This doesn't take into account who they actually voted for, I'm assuming most of them voted for Obama.  According to this article, Obama got 71% of the hispanic vote.  If Romney would have gotten 71% he probably would have won by a landslide.  I think Bush got about 45% of the hispanic vote.

Click here for link

Bamaphile
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 3183

Bamaphile

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 08, 2012, 03:37:14 PM »

I've lived in central Florida for over 9 years.  The Hispanics in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties in southeast Florida are mostly Cubans.  The Cubans down there tend to like Obama and the Democrats because of their lenient stance with Castro and on travel to Cuba.  However, the other Hispanics (Guatemalans, Mexicans, etc.) in the rest of the state should be reachable by the Republicans.

Since we have such a problem nowadays in this country with people not wanting to work so they can be on food stamps, maybe the Republicans could propose giving illegals a path to citizenship if they actually work to make a better life for themselves, which is what most of them came here for, anyway.  Also, they cook good food and don't fly airplanes into buildings.  Just my 2 cents...
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 08, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »

I support a path to citizenship for the people who are here now.  We need to secure the borders too though.  In a post 9/11 world it should be practically impossible to come into the country illegally, but it is still fairly easy.

As for the peaceful hispanics he came here for a better life, who can blame them for that?  After decades of the Federal government saying that it is OK to come on in, why would they abide by an immigration law that is completely ignored by the very government that passed that law.

Bamaphile
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 3183

Bamaphile

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 08, 2012, 06:20:07 PM »

I support a path to citizenship for the people who are here now.  We need to secure the borders too though.  In a post 9/11 world it should be practically impossible to come into the country illegally, but it is still fairly easy.

As for the peaceful hispanics he came here for a better life, who can blame them for that?  After decades of the Federal government saying that it is OK to come on in, why would they abide by an immigration law that is completely ignored by the very government that passed that law.

Agreed.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 08, 2012, 07:24:48 PM »

I do not have a problem with anyone of any race coming here if they will obey all laws. An immigrant should not come to our country looking for a handout. Right now they come here, have a kid and go on welfare. They need to have a job, pay taxes and maintain proper health and auto insurance. Currently illegal hispanics are a burden to our medical system and one reason insurance cost is so high. Alabama pasted a law that you must have minimum auto insurance. My family has had two accidents caused by illegal immigrants that did not have insurance. Nothing was done to them and I had to pay $500 deductable to get cars fixed.

We need to strictly inforce the laws that are on the books now. If an illegal immigrant breaks the law send them home. If they obey the laws they are welcome to stay. It would also help if they learn our language.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 08, 2012, 07:36:19 PM »

I do not have a problem with anyone of any race coming here if they will obey all laws. An immigrant should not come to our country looking for a handout. Right now they come here, have a kid and go on welfare. They need to have a job, pay taxes and maintain proper health and auto insurance. Currently illegal hispanics are a burden to our medical system and one reason insurance cost is so high. Alabama pasted a law that you must have minimum auto insurance. My family has had two accidents caused by illegal immigrants that did not have insurance. Nothing was done to them and I had to pay $500 deductable to get cars fixed.

We need to strictly inforce the laws that are on the books now. If an illegal immigrant breaks the law send them home. If they obey the laws they are welcome to stay. It would also help if they learn our language.

I just don't know how accurate that is.  All of the ones that I know came here for jobs and they do work.  I don't know if they are here legally or not, but the odds are that at least some of them are probably illegal I would think.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 08, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »

On the other hand, I do know a lot of lazy white folks that won't work and are looking for handouts.  Unfortunately some of them are related to me.  Angry

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 08, 2012, 07:38:42 PM »

A lot of those same lazy white folks drive around without insurance too.  Angry

pmull
Coach Nick Saban

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 08, 2012, 08:20:23 PM »

I just don't know how accurate that is.  All of the ones that I know came here for jobs and they do work.  I don't know if they are here legally or not, but the odds are that at least some of them are probably illegal I would think.

Let me rephrase my comment. Right now some come here, have a kid and go on welfare. There are many that come here and lead productive lives and are an asset to their community and the companies they work for.

In Decatur you can not go to Walmart without getting behind a hispanic with several kids paying for items with food stamps and milk/egg government coupons. Doctors have moved from Decatur General Hospital to the private hostipal that is not required to take patients that can not pay the medical bill. By law a hospital has to take a life/death patient such as heart attack. Private facilities do not have to treat non-life threatening illness or deliver babies. Parkway Medical Center has a map to give to the uninsured showing how to get to Decatur General.

I stand by my comment that we need to strictly inforce the laws we have on the books now. I don't blame them for wanting to come here but there is a legal way to do it.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 08, 2012, 08:23:12 PM »

A lot of those same lazy white folks drive around without insurance too.  Angry

I agree. We have our own problem citizens to deal with. We don't need anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 146
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2