Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer Snapshot '11: Alabama Crimson Tide  (Read 5751 times)
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 04:29:13 PM »

Did anyone else notice the poll on this link. 30% of readers felt the Tide would be 14-0. It is possible that most of the votes came from us (CRS and WA), but what does that say about the seriousness in football at LBU. BTW, LBU stands for Linebacker U. Maybe someone needs to investigate the numbers, but off the top of my head I do not see the validity of their claim.

But what kind of attitude is hanging around Happy Beaver Stadium for the team forums to have already written off the Bama game as an "L"?  If Bama was playing the Green Bay Packers (2010 SB champs) this year, at least half of us would be arguing the game to be winnable. [Note: IDK what the Packers have returning, but they all just got 1 year older] So when PSU fans vote Bama to go 14-0 they have all decided that Bama will beat their school. The next group voted 13-1 (22%) which may only mean they believe the Tide may lose to LSU, not PSU. Holy crap. These people have a systemically serious problem.

My guess is they remember that azz whipping we put on them last year and don't think this year will be any different. They may also remember CNS had too much respect for the old man to run up the score. Last years game was not near as close as the score indicated.
If you were a PSU fan last year, by the end of the 1st you had your head down. They came away from that game with a huge sigh of relief that the beating was not worse.

But this Linebacker U crap has to stop. I am far too busy with dumbazz comments to fully investigate, but do the rest of y'all have the gut feeling that the Tide has had a greater share of linebacking greats. The goal line stand game being a perfect case in point. Also, comparing traditions is laughable. While the sheer numbers may be somewhat comparible, when you look at PSU's scedule and conference, year in and year out, you come to discover a different legacy for PSU footall. If you were to ask the old guys around in the PSU hay days, you'll find commonality in that most feel PSU home cooked the outcomes of a great many home games. They have been notorious through the years for home field refereeing. Look at the Bama record vs. PSU if you change the one we were robbed on changed from an "L" to a "W". The Southern Conference vs. SEC? Big Ten vs. SEC? Our nonconference schedules vs. those of PSU. Our bowl victories. PSU is not in the same neighborhood as Bama, OSU, OU, UT, USC, ND, etc. Linebacker U my ass!

The linebacker U stuff goes back to the 70's at least. They did put out a lot of LB's at that time. I can not name the first LB from PSU in recent years so I think it is a has-been name. We will see if they have a LB that can stop BATR.
I took a quick look a little while ago at the Bednarik or Butkus winners. PSU had 2 LBs since 1985 and Bama had 2 winners. OU had 3. But yeah, that nickname goes farther back.  Truth be told, I have always been a little jealous of that nickname, but a rock in your shoe is still a rock in your shoe.  I am just not sure that title is even close to being the reality of the situation.

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
sbo1971
Junior

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »

Did anyone else notice the poll on this link. 30% of readers felt the Tide would be 14-0. It is possible that most of the votes came from us (CRS and WA), but what does that say about the seriousness in football at LBU. BTW, LBU stands for Linebacker U. Maybe someone needs to investigate the numbers, but off the top of my head I do not see the validity of their claim.

But what kind of attitude is hanging around Happy Beaver Stadium for the team forums to have already written off the Bama game as an "L"?  If Bama was playing the Green Bay Packers (2010 SB champs) this year, at least half of us would be arguing the game to be winnable. [Note: IDK what the Packers have returning, but they all just got 1 year older] So when PSU fans vote Bama to go 14-0 they have all decided that Bama will beat their school. The next group voted 13-1 (22%) which may only mean they believe the Tide may lose to LSU, not PSU. Holy crap. These people have a systemically serious problem.

That or maybe they are realist
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »

That or maybe they are realist
Fix your quote box error--gilmer. Wink

Terrie1959
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 724

Female

Terrie1959

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 10:47:32 PM »

[/quote]

Sigh ..... I guess my sarcasm radar is down today. My apologies. Embarrassed
[/quote]

Here, have an e-cred. Putting you at 200 should help a little. HTH  Tongue  Applause E-Cred
[/quote]

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Applause E-Cred (return the favor)
[/quote]

So..... If I am a little down, do I get e credits too??  Tongue
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 07:04:38 AM »

Reverse chronological order. A few may have made Bama's scout team.

CONNOR Dan 2004-07.  2007 AP First team All-America. 2006 TSN First team All-America.
2007 Bednarik Award winner. All-Time tackle leader with 419.  Teamed with Poz to form a duo
on par with Onkotz and Ham.  Holds all-time record for tackles as a freshman (85). 
Arguably ranks with Onkotz at the top of the "Most Versatile LB".

POSLUSZNY Paul 2003-06. AP Two-time First-team All-America. 
2005 Butkus Award Award winner. 2005 & 2006 Bednarik Award winner.  Stellar at both ILB and OLB.
Only Lion to record one hundred plus tackles three years in a row.  Second in career tackles (372)
Two-time First team Academic All-American.  Named Hall of Fame Scholar-Athlete.

ARRINGTON LaVar 1997-99.  Two-time First team All-America.

SHORT Brandon 1996-99. First-team All-America. Four year starter, freshman year at DE.

FILARDI Gerald 1993-96.  Two-year starter at MLB.  Led team in tackles both years (208).

GELZHEISER Brian 1991-94.  Four-year letterman.  Topped 100 tackles in back-to-back years. 
Second in all-time tackles.

D'ONOFRIO Mark 1988-91.  Three-year starter.  Led Lions in tackling his junior year and was leading as a senior before a season ending injury.

COLLINS Andre 1986-89. First team All-America. Over 100 tackles in back-to-back years.
Four-year letterman.

BAUER Trey 1984-87.  Third team All-America.  Three-year starter. 
Part of the LB corps with Conlan, Giftopoulos and Graham on 1986 National Champions.

CONLAN Shane 1983-86.  Two-time first team All-America. Perhaps the standard for OLB. 
Became part-time starter as a freshman.  Fifth all-time in tackles.

RADECIC Scott 1980-83.  Second team All-America. Two-year starter.

PARLAVECCHIO Chet 1978-81.  Second team All-America. Led team in tackles 1980-81.

MEHL Lance 1977-79.  Second team All-America.  Led team in tackles 1978-79.

ALLERMAN Kurt 1974-76. First team All-America. Three-year letterman.

BUTTLE Greg 1973-75.  First team All-America. Second All-time career tackles
leader with 343, including the single season Lion record of 165 in 1974.

ROSECRANS Jim 1973-75.  Two-year starter, three year letterman.  108 tackles in 1974.

DEVLIN Chris 1972-74.  Two-year starter, three-year letterman.  Played DE as a soph.

O'NEIL Ed 1971-73. First team All-America.  Led with 126 tackles in 1972.

LASLAVIC Jim 1970-72.  Two-year starter, three-year letterman.  Also played DE.

SKORUPAN John 1970-72. First team All-America. Three-year starter.

HAM Jack 1968-70. College Football Hall of Fame. First team All-America.
Three-year starter.  186 tackles his last two years.

ZAPIEC Charlie 1968-69, 71. First team All-America. Three-year starter, first two at guard.

KATES Jim 1967-69.  Three-year starter.  Teamed with  Hall-of-Famers: 
Dennis Onkotz, Jack Ham and Mike Smith to comprise JoePa's first great LB unit.

ONKOTZ Dennis 1967-69. College Football Hall of Fame. Two-time First team All-America
and was Second-team the other year.  Career leader at LB with 11 interceptions, returning three for TD's. Third in all-time tackles - back when you could only play varsity for three years. 
Outstanding punt returner.

Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 07:25:07 AM »

[/quote]

Here, have an e-cred. Putting you at 200 should help a little. HTH  Tongue  Applause E-Cred
[/quote]

[/quote]

So..... If I am a little down, do I get e credits too?Tongue
[/quote]

Applause E-Cred
Mercy donation.  I probably owed you some anyhow.

cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why not? Like Chech, I probably owe you some.  Applause E-Cred

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 07:05:22 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You betcha.  Applause E-Cred
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] Sad

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 07:23:49 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] Sad
[/quote]

OK, you too WV.  Dog  Applause E-Cred
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 07:24:59 PM »

Here, have an e-cred. Putting you at 200 should help a little. HTH  Tongue  Applause E-Cred

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Applause E-Cred (return the favor)

So..... If I am a little down, do I get e credits too??  Tongue
[/quote]

You betcha.  Applause E-Cred
[/quote] Sad
[/quote]

OK, you too WV.  Dog  Applause E-Cred
[/quote]

Laughing  Applause E-Cred Applause E-Cred to both of you.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 983

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »

My guess is they remember that azz whipping we put on them last year and don't think this year will be any different. They may also remember CNS had too much respect for the old man to run up the score. Last years game was not near as close as the score indicated.
If you were a PSU fan last year, by the end of the 1st you had your head down. They came away from that game with a huge sigh of relief that the beating was not worse.

But this Linebacker U crap has to stop. I am far too busy with dumbazz comments to fully investigate, but do the rest of y'all have the gut feeling that the Tide has had a greater share of linebacking greats. The goal line stand game being a perfect case in point. Also, comparing traditions is laughable. While the sheer numbers may be somewhat comparible, when you look at PSU's scedule and conference, year in and year out, you come to discover a different legacy for PSU footall. If you were to ask the old guys around in the PSU hay days, you'll find commonality in that most feel PSU home cooked the outcomes of a great many home games. They have been notorious through the years for home field refereeing. Look at the Bama record vs. PSU if you change the one we were robbed on changed from an "L" to a "W". The Southern Conference vs. SEC? Big Ten vs. SEC? Our nonconference schedules vs. those of PSU. Our bowl victories. PSU is not in the same neighborhood as Bama, OSU, OU, UT, USC, ND, etc. Linebacker U my ass!

The linebacker U stuff goes back to the 70's at least. They did put out a lot of LB's at that time. I can not name the first LB from PSU in recent years so I think it is a has-been name. We will see if they have a LB that can stop BATR.
I took a quick look a little while ago at the Bednarik or Butkus winners. PSU had 2 LBs since 1985 and Bama had 2 winners. OU had 3. But yeah, that nickname goes farther back.  Truth be told, I have always been a little jealous of that nickname, but a rock in your shoe is still a rock in your shoe.  I am just not sure that title is even close to being the reality of the situation.

During last years game in the 4th qtr., an older PSU fan like me, came up to us and commented to me and a friend on what a great team we had. We thanked him. If not for key injuries last season , it may have been a great year.  Anyway, years ago, I can remember PSU as great fans. I was lucky to attend the home PSU games from 1982-1990.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 364
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0