Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas War  (Read 7022 times)
Terrie1959
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 724

Female

Terrie1959

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2011, 04:30:41 PM »

Here in the Milton/Pace (FL) area, we have a new gas station celebrating their Grand Opening this weekend. They wanted to have the LOWEST gas price for their celebration. Tom Thumb has decided NOT to allow them that privilege.  So far the gas prices have fallen to 3.45 a gallon at 2 Tom Thumbs and Murphy's express. Murphy's Express says that they have been given the authorization to go down as low as $.99 a gallon!  I wish I had a dozen gas cans to store it in! Although, I refuse to stay in a line 1/2 hour or more to get gas. Just don't see how it's worth that much of my time and gas.
Should be very interesting though.  I think the last gas war I remember was in the late 70's. (I think)
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 04:36:17 PM »

Here in the Milton/Pace (FL) area, we have a new gas station celebrating their Grand Opening this weekend. They wanted to have the LOWEST gas price for their celebration. Tom Thumb has decided NOT to allow them that privilege.  So far the gas prices have fallen to 3.45 a gallon at 2 Tom Thumbs and Murphy's express. Murphy's Express says that they have been given the authorization to go down as low as $.99 a gallon!  I wish I had a dozen gas cans to store it in! Although, I refuse to stay in a line 1/2 hour or more to get gas. Just don't see how it's worth that much of my time and gas.
Should be very interesting though.  I think the last gas war I remember was in the late 70's. (I think)

Wait till it bottoms out and send me 20 gallons.

Lucky for you. I paid 3.79 today.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 05:44:15 PM by pmull » Logged
Terrie1959
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 724

Female

Terrie1959

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »

They (Murphy's Express - which btw is NOT affiliated with Walmart), says that they will lower the price until midnight on Saturday. I'm going to go tomorrow sometime.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 10:24:51 PM »

They (Murphy's Express - which btw is NOT affiliated with Walmart), says that they will lower the price until midnight on Saturday. I'm going to go tomorrow sometime.

Yeah, I was in Milton tonight. unfortunately not in my car, when I heard about it. The thing that burns my barnacles is that people are lining up to pay $3.50 for a gallon of gas, thinking that is cheap. (I know, relatively it is). But the speculators are the ONLY reason gas is as high as it is and our gov't continues to do nothing about it.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 02:05:30 AM »

Yeah, I was in Milton tonight. unfortunately not in my car, when I heard about it. The thing that burns my barnacles is that people are lining up to pay $3.50 for a gallon of gas, thinking that is cheap. (I know, relatively it is). But the speculators are the ONLY reason gas is as high as it is and our gov't continues to do nothing about it.
Don't make us explain Futures Market speculation again. Trust in the fact that the same forces that speculate the mkt. up, also speculate it down. The libs and BHO always need a boogie man to blame and in the case of fuel prices, it is the speculators. O'Reilly got on the anti speculator bandwagon a while back, even though Cavuto tried to explain it to him about ten times(LOL). BTW, government is the answer to very few things.

The Muslims call it "Spring Break" or "Spring Fling" or some other nonsense. But disruptions in the Iranian and Libyan oil production have speculators betting on higher demand and less supply. But if you need a boogie man, look no farther than the White House and the inane moratorium on drilling in the GOM and on new leases in general. Also, hang onto your "price at the pumps" hat because the annual summer driving increase is coming soon to a self serve near you.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 02:27:55 AM by BAMAWV » Logged

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 06:13:29 PM »

The speculators do drive the price up, and down too.  All it would take to turn the economy around 180° would be for there to be some serious action from the White House and Congress that showed the world that we are determined to produce our own energy right here at home.  No trillion dollar stimulus packages.  No pork barrel spending in home districts to put peoplevoters to work.  Not even tax cuts.  ALL they have to do is take action to lower the price of gas back to around 1.50 a gallon and the economy would blast off into orbit.  The price of gas affects every single area of the economy, and is the single biggest (perhaps only) contributor IMO to the recent recession.  It takes gas (actually diesel fuel) to get that loaf of bread or gallon of milk to the local Wal-mart.  Gas goes up, milk and bread goes up, then wages go up, then everything else goes up.  Suddenly the dollar goes down.  It is a viscous cycle we are in, and the thing that makes me irate about the whole situation we are in is that it is very easy to solve if we only had just a tiny bit of leadership and action.  Actually the biggest action they could do would be to just get the heck out of the way and let the free market decide where/when we need to drill and how much a gallon of gas is worth.  As it stands now the price of gas is inflated artificially, not by speculators, but by an energy policy that on purpose limits supply for strictly political reasons.

There are many ways to do this in a very short time.  Everyone who says that we can't drill our way out because it would take years if not decades to see the first drop does not understand anything about the economy.  I dare them to start tossing out drilling permits like candy at a Christmas parade and see what happens to the price of gas when these same speculators believe we are serious about actually doing something.  You don't actually need the oil right now, you just need for the speculators to see that more oil than we could ever use is on the way.  There are tons of things we can do to address this, drilling is only the most obvious.  Why not do them all?  Again, you don't need to produce new energy tomorrow in order to see lower gas prices tomorrow.  I guarantee you that if we announced we are going to open a new big oil field that is currently dead because of politics that the price of oil would drop the very next day, with gas prices at the pump to follow shortly there after.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Crimson Phoenix
Grad Student

E-Cred: 173

Female

Crimson Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 06:48:49 PM »

It's good to see you back SUPERCOACH. Kiss
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 06:51:34 PM »

Thanks.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »

The speculators do drive the price up, and down too.  All it would take to turn the economy around 180° would be for there to be some serious action from the White House and Congress that showed the world that we are determined to produce our own energy right here at home.  No trillion dollar stimulus packages.  No pork barrel spending in home districts to put peoplevoters to work.  Not even tax cuts.  ALL they have to do is take action to lower the price of gas back to around 1.50 a gallon and the economy would blast off into orbit.  The price of gas affects every single area of the economy, and is the single biggest (perhaps only) contributor IMO to the recent recession.  It takes gas (actually diesel fuel) to get that loaf of bread or gallon of milk to the local Wal-mart.  Gas goes up, milk and bread goes up, then wages go up, then everything else goes up.  Suddenly the dollar goes down.  It is a viscous cycle we are in, and the thing that makes me irate about the whole situation we are in is that it is very easy to solve if we only had just a tiny bit of leadership and action.  Actually the biggest action they could do would be to just get the heck out of the way and let the free market decide where/when we need to drill and how much a gallon of gas is worth.  As it stands now the price of gas is inflated artificially, not by speculators, but by an energy policy that on purpose limits supply for strictly political reasons.

There are many ways to do this in a very short time.  Everyone who says that we can't drill our way out because it would take years if not decades to see the first drop does not understand anything about the economy.  I dare them to start tossing out drilling permits like candy at a Christmas parade and see what happens to the price of gas when these same speculators believe we are serious about actually doing something.  You don't actually need the oil right now, you just need for the speculators to see that more oil than we could ever use is on the way.  There are tons of things we can do to address this, drilling is only the most obvious.  Why not do them all?  Again, you don't need to produce new energy tomorrow in order to see lower gas prices tomorrow.  I guarantee you that if we announced we are going to open a new big oil field that is currently dead because of politics that the price of oil would drop the very next day, with gas prices at the pump to follow shortly there after.

I think I'm going to write in your name at the next presidential election...

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 10:12:28 PM »

Applause E-Cred Applause E-Cred Applause E-Cred Applause E-Cred Applause E-Cred

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:21:16 PM »

Thanks guys.  Can I count on your vote too WV?

Obviously I meant vicious cycle, not viscous.   Embarrassed

Although we were talking about oil... and I am sure that the price of syrup goes up along with bread and milk too... so maybe viscous cycle could work too?  Cheesy  It certainly describes the speed at which Congress takes action.

Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 05:11:43 AM »

Here in the Milton/Pace (FL) area, we have a new gas station celebrating their Grand Opening this weekend. They wanted to have the LOWEST gas price for their celebration. Tom Thumb has decided NOT to allow them that privilege.  So far the gas prices have fallen to 3.45 a gallon at 2 Tom Thumbs and Murphy's express. Murphy's Express says that they have been given the authorization to go down as low as $.99 a gallon!  I wish I had a dozen gas cans to store it in! Although, I refuse to stay in a line 1/2 hour or more to get gas. Just don't see how it's worth that much of my time and gas.
Should be very interesting though.  I think the last gas war I remember was in the late 70's. (I think)

Now that Coach has solved our energy problems ("Thanks, SC."), let me reminisce about the best gas wars ever.  Terrie nailed it, Tuscaloosa.  We used to gripe that the local stations raised their rates on weekends (to $0.33/gal. !!  Shocked ).  You could always find a station at 27 cents, and sometimes one at 25 cents/gal.  Unfortunately, one of my favorite stations was in south Tuscaloosa where hwy 69 started; right where the interstate was built.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:14:24 AM by Chechem » Logged

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 05:22:22 AM »

All y'all need to do is lease some property and drill a well. You'll need a refinery (better start that now because those permits are hard to get). PM me if you need anymore help.

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 07:12:24 AM »

Don't make us explain Futures Market speculation again. Trust in the fact that the same forces that speculate the mkt. up, also speculate it down. The libs and BHO always need a boogie man to blame and in the case of fuel prices, it is the speculators. O'Reilly got on the anti speculator bandwagon a while back, even though Cavuto tried to explain it to him about ten times(LOL). BTW, government is the answer to very few things.

The Muslims call it "Spring Break" or "Spring Fling" or some other nonsense. But disruptions in the Iranian and Libyan oil production have speculators betting on higher demand and less supply. But if you need a boogie man, look no farther than the White House and the inane moratorium on drilling in the GOM and on new leases in general. Also, hang onto your "price at the pumps" hat because the annual summer driving increase is coming soon to a self serve near you.

That was my point, that the gov't is doing nothing about it. There is no reason for a drilling moratorium. Not only that, but there are wells that have been drilled and capped off and have been for years in this country. I know because I have mineral rights to one. "Focus" is not the word that comes to my mind when Obama talks about economic recovery.
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 10:34:25 AM »

I think I'm going to write in your name at the next presidential election...

Sorry coach. I am afraid that you do not qualify to run for president. you make too much sense.  Cheesy

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 261
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0