Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saban vs. Bryant  (Read 6984 times)
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 05:05:48 PM »

Well I hard Coach Bryant one time say great defenses wins championships. I believe what he said about football but look what CNS does all his DC and players are great ones. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 10:43:01 PM »

I guess for Bama fans this argument will go on forever.  Several posts have listed factual points supporting one or the other.  Here's another way of looking at it.

Take the three aspects of the game:  Offense,  Defense and Special Teams/Kicking Game.
--Both coaches consistently put great defenses on the field.

--I'd call the special teams/kicking game pretty much a draw. Bear may have a slight edge here but there were some awful slip-ups that cost us.  Overall, CNS's special teams/kicking has been too frequently lacking, especially in place kicking.  I don't remember Bear having that issue year after year.

-- Offense is where I give the nod to Bear.  He consistently put good O out there.  Frequently great O teams.  Bear personally coached the QBs and had his finger on the pulse of it.  CNS's O have at times been very good but struggle too much.  Remember 20-7 over Tulane?

So, for my 2-cents...both are the greatest coaches of their time, but I give an edge to Bear based on the offenses he put out there year after year.

I agree,McBaman.  Don't forget Bear's great defenses. The 1966 team shut out six opponents and only gave up 44 points the whole year!

Well OT...you are not the only "old" tider on here.  I attended every game in 1966 and well remember that D.  Bear was known as a defensive coach, and rightfully so.  But not very much is said about his offensive coaching. To me, CNS, great as he is, just doesn't have the 'touch' with the O that Bear did.

Old Tider
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 1634

Old Tider

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 11:40:00 PM »

I guess for Bama fans this argument will go on forever.  Several posts have listed factual points supporting one or the other.  Here's another way of looking at it.

Take the three aspects of the game:  Offense,  Defense and Special Teams/Kicking Game.
--Both coaches consistently put great defenses on the field.

--I'd call the special teams/kicking game pretty much a draw. Bear may have a slight edge here but there were some awful slip-ups that cost us.  Overall, CNS's special teams/kicking has been too frequently lacking, especially in place kicking.  I don't remember Bear having that issue year after year.

-- Offense is where I give the nod to Bear.  He consistently put good O out there.  Frequently great O teams.  Bear personally coached the QBs and had his finger on the pulse of it.  CNS's O have at times been very good but struggle too much.  Remember 20-7 over Tulane?

So, for my 2-cents...both are the greatest coaches of their time, but I give an edge to Bear based on the offenses he put out there year after year.

I agree,McBaman.  Don't forget Bear's great defenses. The 1966 team shut out six opponents and only gave up 44 points the whole year!

Well OT...you are not the only "old" tider on here.  I attended every game in 1966 and well remember that D.  Bear was known as a defensive coach, and rightfully so.  But not very much is said about his offensive coaching. To me, CNS, great as he is, just doesn't have the 'touch' with the O that Bear did.

Absolutely right. I was in the student section for those glorious games.
Crimson Phoenix
Grad Student

E-Cred: 173

Female

Crimson Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 09:36:03 AM »

I agree with Old Tider.  The Bear "built the kingdom now upheld by Saban."

I was also in the student section for many of those great games and remember early players like Pat Trammell, Billy Richardson, Bill Battle, Bill Oliver, Lee Roy Jordon, Tommy Brooker, Gary Osteen, and a special friend Charlie Pell.

We saw that over the years, the program gradually lost its national reputation and glory.  In 2007, we watched and waited while athletic director Mal Moore (former player and back-up quarterback behind Pat Trammell) went to great lengths to hire Nick Saban to rebuild the kingdom. Moore had great wisdom.   I love Nick Saban!  He makes me so proud!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:40:14 AM by Crimson Phoenix » Logged
Leewillie
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3348

Leewillie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 10:07:54 AM »

I was also in the student section for many of those great games and remember early players like Pat Trammell, Billy Richardson, Bill Battle, Bill Oliver, Lee Roy Jordon, Tommy Brooker, Gary Osteen, and a special friend Charlie Pell.

We saw that over the years, the program gradually lost its national reputation and glory.  In 2007, we watched and waited while athletic director Mal Moore (former player and back-up quarterback behind Pat Trammell) went to great lengths to hire Nick Saban to rebuild the kingdom. Moore had great wisdom.   I love Nick Saban!  He makes me so proud!

We must have been in school at the same time, I remember all of the names you mentioned along  with Mike Fracchia, Cotton Clark, Benny Nelson, Steve Bowman, and David Ray. (1961-1964) What a wonderful time to have been on campus.
Crimson Phoenix
Grad Student

E-Cred: 173

Female

Crimson Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »

We must have been in school at the same time, I remember all of the names you mentioned along  with Mike Fracchia, Cotton Clark, Benny Nelson, Steve Bowman, and David Ray. (1961-1964) What a wonderful time to have been on campus.

Leewillie......yes it was a wonderful time to be a student at the University of Alabama!!! 

I'm afraid that I was not interested enough in academics during my first go-around.  It was all too much fun!    I ended up re-enrolling later and stayed for years.  So I was around for lots of coach turnovers. 
Old Tider
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 1634

Old Tider

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 11:03:21 AM »

I have a friend who graduated from Notre Dame and is an Irish fanatic. He says Saban is the greatest coach in the history of football.  Pretty nice when the enemy surrenders.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »

I have a friend who graduated from Notre Dame and is an Irish fanatic. He says Saban is the greatest coach in the history of football.  Pretty nice when the enemy surrenders.

It's because of the 2012 Natty. That's kind of like saying Mike Tyson was the greatest boxer in the world, when the only fight you've seen was him against Michael Spinks. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 773
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0